Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
France will go back into a nationwide lockdown starting this week to try to contain the COVID-19 epidemic that is again threatening to spiral out of control, French President Emmanuel Macron said in an address to the nation on Wednesday

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-france/macron-orders-france-back-into-covid-19-lockdown-idUKKBN27D2WG?il=0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There were a total of 400km of traffic jams getting out of Ile-de-France this evening.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For at least all of november

RIP ski season
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The last French country lock-down lasted 8 weeks; and it seems that this 2nd COVID wave is going to last even longer.

Surely others will follow: Austria, Italy, Germany etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There were a total of 400km of traffic jams getting out of Ile-de-France this evening.

Gulp, a single traffic jam from Paris to Lyon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Let’s hope that the 21/22 season will be the best season ever with lots of snow, but stable conditions. And that this misery called the Covid-19 can be viewed in the reviewmirror.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Germany is reported to be following, per Sky News website.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Woosh, ha ha ha you think so? Remember "two weeks to flatten the curve"?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given the numbers, I don't see what else they (and Germany and everyone else) could do.

Irritating about the stupid self certification forms, again, though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who is next? Austria?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 29-10-20 8:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Poogle, have to say, that seemed an OK post to me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, I agree. Finer detail tomorrow of course. Obviously essentials such as taking the dog for a walk and buying cigarettes will be ok Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Surely others will follow: Austria, Italy, Germany etc.

and England too when they catch up with the rest of continental Europe
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PrimroseAndBlue, not sure how accurate now that schools aren't closing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I drove to and back from just south of Lyon today and there was little traffic on the road, as normal really.
ski holidays
I'm not giving up hope, or should I be?
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I'm not giving up hope, or should I be?

It's got to be grim news. Realistically, this new lock-down is going to have to last at least 2 months; so that takes us until at least the New Year. Is everything in the resorts going to be able to just start-up in Jan like nothing happened? The hotels have to train and book staff and order food; the mini-bus transfer companies have to organise their drivers and vans etc etc.

Easier for the resorts to just scrub the whole season; and for some companies to sadly pull-the-plug and liquidate, rather than prolonging the agony. Remember that the season was cut short last year, and if you add to that this season being a write-off, it does not look good.

But there is a glimmer of hope I guess, that a few weeks could be salvaged in Feb & March; I'll keep my finger's crossed. Puzzled
ski holidays
The rule of 1 hour / 1 km will be in place from tomorrow midnight so another strict lockdown, no ski touring, 6 hour cycle rides or anything like that, but you will be able to go to work, if you still have a job.

PCR tests for anyone from an eu country entering France on arrival (don't know if this includes the UK like last time).

Strict measures expected to last until the New Year with maybe some relaxation at Christmas and likely some measures will stay in place until March. France not expected to be able to vaccinate before next summer.

https://www.leparisien.fr/societe/1-km-autour-de-chez-vous-jusqu-ou-pouvez-vous-aller-pendant-le-reconfinement-28-10-2020-8405480.php
snow report
Alpinebear wrote:
@PrimroseAndBlue, not sure how accurate now that schools aren't closing.

That was the report on France 24, complete with photos from a toll station. I suspect a lot probably didn't reckon the schools would stay open!
ski holidays
Mr P heading to 3V today (planned a few weeks ago), with a car load of clobber to try and sort out the house, clean up after building work in anticipation of trying to spend a chunk of time over there after Christmas. I can’t got cos I can’t isolate on return. He’ll be avoiding human contact apart from our builder and electrician, and coming back on Tuesday.
Who knows what the winter may bring...
snow conditions
Quote:
Dans les semaines qui viennent, toute la station poursuivra la préparation de la saison d'hiver dans le respect de la réglementation, en espérant que les mesures prises par le Gouvernement nous permettront de nous retrouver cet hiver au cœur des grands espaces des 2 Alpes.

In the coming weeks, the entire resort will continue preparing for the winter season in compliance with regulations, hoping that the measures taken by the Government will allow us to find ourselves this winter in the heart of the wide open spaces of the 2 Alps.

Unlike the last lockdown work can go on. Let's hope it isn't fruitless.
latest report
Perty wrote:
Mr P heading to 3V today (planned a few weeks ago), with a car load of clobber to try and sort out the house, clean up after building work in anticipation of trying to spend a chunk of time over there after Christmas. I can’t got cos I can’t isolate on return. He’ll be avoiding human contact apart from our builder and electrician, and coming back on Tuesday.
Who knows what the winter may bring...

He'll be breaking the law
snow report
Quote:

Let's hope it isn't fruitless.

Indeed.
snow conditions
One point which doesn't seem clear to me is following the introduction of the new measures will anyone from the UK be able to take their car across the Channel to say Calais or Dunkirk and drive through France to another country (e.g Switzerland which now has no entry quarantine requirements)? Would it be allowed if there are no overnight stops in France?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
One point which doesn't seem clear to me is following the introduction of the new measures will anyone from the UK be able to take their car across the Channel to say Calais or Dunkirk and drive through France to another country (e.g Switzerland which now has no entry quarantine requirements)? Would it be allowed if there are no overnight stops in France?

you'll need a covid test when entering france. you can't travel from one region to another but wait till later to see if you can cross France when the govt. announces the details. It should be possible.
snow report
More questions answered on the Connexion

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-second-lockdown-Your-questions-answered

No mention of tests just yet?

Will my British family be able to come here for Christmas?
As explained above, it is not yet clear what the rules will be for travelling to France during the lockdown.

The confinement measures are set to remain in place until at least December 1, but could be prolonged.

If they are extended over the Christmas period it could prevent people visiting on holiday.

The president of the Conseil Scientifique in France, Jean-François Delfraissy, told radio station France Inter:

“The end of year celebrations will be in small groups, probably under curfew. A third wave cannot be excluded."

Does the exercise limit of one hour and one kilometre from home still apply?
Just like in the Spring, this rule will once again apply.

Will cycling for exercise be banned during lockdown like last time?
If you remain within one kilometre of your home, it will be permitted. Using bicycles is encouraged as a means of transport.

What about the curfew?
The lockdown measures render the curfew measures obsolete.
snow report
Val Thorens is not opening on 21st Nov as originally planned

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/french-ski-resorts-cancel-winter-openings-in-lockdown/
latest report
https://www.valthorens.com/en/useful-informations/covid-19-valthorens
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ymh wrote:
https://www.valthorens.com/en/useful-informations/covid-19-valthorens

So no information then rolling eyes
snow report
French sports minister says "no guarantee" that ski resorts will open this winter.

Meanwhile in the shops there was panic buying - apart from the usual of toilet paper, mile and pasta shoppers seemed to be doing their Christmas shopping in anticipation of a long lockdown.
snow conditions
Quote:

"no guarantee"

@davidof, he would have been absolutely inseine to say anything else.
snow report
@under a new name, "inseine", love it for being so French.

Is there clarity yet on what it means for any of us wanting to travel - or not?
latest report
@j b, it's all your fault, you buy a place and look what happens! Your a jinx
snow report
Only the Turkish are exempt from curfew, and they don't seem to be taking the chance to go skiing! Lyon yesterday, Vienne and Dijon tonight.

https://twitter.com/ZartonkMedia/status/1321932292080627713
snow report
davidof wrote:

Meanwhile in the shops there was panic buying - apart from the usual of toilet paper, mile and pasta shoppers seemed to be doing their Christmas shopping in anticipation of a long lockdown.

I stocked up on 300kg of tile adhesive for a job yesterday evening before the Brico shops closed their doors, could barely move the trolley!
Got to the checkout and there was a notice saying they'll be staying open during this confinement Mad
snow report
@j b, titter. Sorry, no, there's a 2 week update though (although I think that'll be too soon as I don't expect that the last weeks curfew will have had any effect at all, not convinced this lockdown with schools running will have much effect either).
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

"no guarantee"

@davidof, he would have been absolutely inseine to say anything else.

SHE is just preparing people for the inevitable: that we won't be skiing this Christmas or New Year.
ski holidays
I guess the 3 bags of multi-finish plaster I have spare may become valuable again!
snow report
Just had my paperwork through for Auris/ADH. Start date 5th of December depending on snow conditions
latest report
At least the paperwork for going out has a box for transit related to long distance journeys this time. Back in March we had to add that bit in! Does anyone know if they will accept forms on a phone? Just a bit of a pain trying to get stuff printed living in a campervan.
Guidance also says testing will be introduced at ports and airports, so we should be Ok coming from Spain. Or as JanetS suggested, a quiet border in the middle of the night and just don't stop!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy