Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais or La Clusaz in December

Poster: A snowHead
Along with every other Snowhead, I am desperate to get skiing next season. But even if the Alps are open for business, my wife and I can only manage a very quick two nighter, due to family commitments. To add to this, the best time for us to go is mid December. As we are travelling from Bristol our only sensible option is to fly to Geneva (Innsbruck Friday-Sunday doesn't work that early in the season.
Having done some research and ruled out Morzine and Chamonix, having done them many times, I am left with St Gervais and La Clusaz, which both fit the bill in most ways except being low for that time of year. I'm a reasonable skier and my wife is a plucky intermediate. Just as important for her is resort charm and decent hotel. I'm keen on value for money but also aware that for such a short trip a lot depends on the transfer.. My feelings are:
St Gervais looks good for large ski area, bustling charming town, bonus of the therme (can this be accessed by foot/ public transport from the village-it looks a bit out on limb?) and the options of skiing in other nearby areas if the snow is not good in St Gervais area itself. My worry is that transfers are a little complicated, with most shuttles dropping at La Foyet and then an extra taxi or shuttle required for the last bit (is this the case? Can you go one stop on the TMB or is it exorbitant)?
La Clusaz sounds even prettier, with enough skiing for two days, a regular shuttle from Geneva and a good selection of hotels. However, if the snow isn't available there isn't much better close by.

Apart from the obvious answer of, 'don't go in December' and 'hire a car', what do people think is the better option? Any transfer info would be gratefully received as well.

Many thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, have you checked when they're fully open? Might not be in mid-December, even if the snow is good. If I wanted to be sure of good skiing from Geneva in mid-December I'd drive just that bit further and go to Tignes. It's not as pretty as La Clusaz but there's nothing very pretty about La Clusaz in the rain wink and even later in the season resort-level snow in La Clusaz is by no means guaranteed. And there's unlikely to be resort-level snow in St Gervais either, though of the two I'd prefer the town in St Gervais. Nowhere in that area is very high - and I don't think Megeve will be fully open in mid-December either. A lot of smaller/lower French resorts won't open till Christmas week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, If the snow isn't good in St Gervais, you're pretty stuck for any where else unless you have a car (where else were you thinking?) E.g. public transport St Gervais-Argentiere would be tedious.

Friends have always taken taxi from Le Fayet.

The TMB only runs from Dec 19. I can't see it being terribly convenient.

Does St Gervais actually (usually) open before Xmas week, even with good snow? Does La Clusaz?

If it was me...

Easy nominally fly Bristol-Milan Malpensa. Rent a car. Go to e.g. Champoluc which is quite charming and has a spa. It usually opens 1st weekend in December. And there's Cervinia to fall back on.

Or, Avoriaz? Which I think usually opens mid-Dec (Rock les Pistes festival).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
StG is not going to be snow sure & id even check if it’s going to be open, it normally opens around 18th December.
I’d go 1 village up to Les Contimens
As for the spa it is world class well worth a try
For transfer try blabla bus
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Gervais is good if its open on your dates - Even if it's just a bit open they do a good job of looking after what snow they have.
Its perfectly fine to stay in St Gervais and ski Les Contamines.
The Therme is in walking distance if you have energy, it's a short tax if not.
The TMB is run by the CMB as a tourist trap not as public transport (even though that is their remit.)
Public Transit or Taxi will get you to Cham if you decide its more Aiguile du Midi for sight seeing rather than skiing - if the snow is thin on the ground Les Contamines will be better than anything in Chamonix......unless rappeling into the Couloir Cosmique is your thing (guessing its not).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

if the snow is thin on the ground Les Contamines will be better than anything in Chamonix...

True, but I think it won't be open in mid December
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your quick and informative replies. St Gervais does say it's opening from the 12th December, as does La Clusaz but I guess it maybe limited lifts and obviously maybe extremely limited if there's no snow. We were thinking of travelling eg the 16-18th Dec.
@pam w, I have gone from Geneva to Tignes by road before and it's a long old way FWIR. Also the Mrs won't like the modern vibe there- hence the fact I'm deliberating over the low towns.
@under a new name, Avoriaz would be better for location but again not great for village feel (and I've done it many times). Would love to do Champoluc but I don't think the flight times + longish transfer from Milan would work for 2 days, but I will have another look.
Les Contamines was the fall back option I had in mind and @Idris, confirms that it's a reasonably easy commute from St Gervais. Thanks also for the advice re the Spa and the TMB and @Jonny996, for Blabla bus, although if it's a case of getting a cab from La Foyet we should be spoilt for choice with all the Chamonix companies.
I very much appreciate all of your time. I maybe back with some more queries but at the moment St Gervais is in the lead, if I can confirm it is planning to be open!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if the snow is thin on the ground Les Contamines will be better than anything in Chamonix...

They've had something open in mid December every winter since 1947! Ok sometimes its just the Signal Gondola and one chair and some man made ice, but they are open......and when they can they are open last weekend of November.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Idris wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

They've had something open in mid December every winter since 1947! Ok sometimes its just the Signal Gondola and one chair and some man made ice, but they are open......and when they can they are open last weekend of November.

They tend to open weekends in December if there is snow. Which there often is. They won't generally open on weekdays until a week before xmas.

I'd may be book flights and leave everything else to last minute.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it's a reasonably easy commute from St Gervais

if you have a car - which will in any case be essential, I'd say. Certainly St Gervais is a good place - and one I've generally visited out of ski season - but the chances of resort-level snow are probably no better than evens - if your OH has a vision of picturesque snowy chalets, Les G probably isn't it. I don't know Les Contamines village at all (I always got at it from the Hauteluce/Belleville side) but the top, east facing runs certainly hold their snow well.

If I were you I'd not book any accommodation yet - book a flight and a car (probably Swiss side of Geneva in the hope of snow....) and wait and see before booking accommodation - mid-December you shouldn't have any problems.

I wouldn't write off Champoluc. I've never been there - but would like to go - and driving from Gva through the Tunnel would not be too much of a schlep. And I like Italy; good coffee and cheaper lunches!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh - BTW, easy to get a taxi from Le Fayet to St G or Les C (can give you a number) but to be honest, its an easy drive and I really would hire a car
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the continuing advice. It seems like the jury is out as to whether lifts will be open mid week when we are going. The advice of booking flights and sitting tight is probably wisest. And I know that car hire is probably also wise. My wife isn't quite naïve enough to expect a chocolate box snow scene but she just prefers characterful alpine villages as opposed to man made stuff. Shame that doesn't naturally go with Mid December!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@EdYarker, I think mid-December is a bit early for resorts in that area. Their published opening dates are usually the week before Christmas, though there may be limited opening before then.

From what I have seen of La Clusaz, St Gervais is the nicer village (I am biased!) but neither La Clusaz nor Les Contamines are manufactured resorts. Les C often has better snow conditions than St G, but the real question is whether there is an early enough dump next winter.

For transport, hiring a car which shouldn't be that expensive for 3 days at that time gives you by far the most options. For Le Fayet to St G and on to Les C there are bus services, but they are more frequent during the official ski season which starts in the week before Christmas. The TMB only runs when the Les Houches lifts are open in winter, and not that many services a day - but while it is expensive I don't think it is more than a taxi for two. If you want a through ticket then BlaBlaBus (suggested by @Jonny996) runs buses from Geneva airport to Sallanches (it goes on to Chamonix) to connect to local buses to St G and Les C - and indeed runs some later evening services that will drop off directly in St G (not Les C). In season AlpyBus run a shared transport that drops of in St G (again not Les C); both AlpyBus and BlaBlaBus late evening have single drop-off points so you would have to have reasonably central accommodation.

Should you want to visit the thermal baths in St G, they are at the bottom of the gorge - on a level with Le Fayet - while the village is at the top. The walk between the two is either a proper mountain path that would be treacherous in snow (unlikely at that level in December) or a longer but still steep wider path. Or the bus/car to Le Fayet and a level walk through the park.

If the ski lift company say the lifts will be open from 12th Dec, then I imagine after losing a whole season they will do their best to honour that - at worst there will be a limited selection of north facing higher pistes with artificial snow. And Les C a better bet.

Any questions do ask, there are some with close local knowledge here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, if you can get to Turin, Champoluc about 75 mins iirc, from Malpensa 90 mins, from Geneva 2hrs 30 ish.

Not the easiest problem to solve ...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This year was the first time that I've not been in St Gervais over Christmas for around fifteen years. We go because we have an apartment there and it's a great place to be. We don't go for the skiing at that time of year - we may be lucky but more often than not it is crap. We're back again two or three times in the season so can afford a duff ten days. If the skiing is poor we use the skating rink, the pool, walk with showshoes or drive up the Cham valley - there's plenty of other things to do.

In your shoes I'd consider somewhere more snowsure even if it entailed a longer transfer.
snow report
Id look at courchevel
If the skiing is poo-poo, at least you have the Christmasy feel
Val Thoren if you want ski ski ski

Dont forget jet2 now fly from BRS, might give you other options if you mix and match airlines.
Maybe EJ will bring back the Wed. to INN flight, that opens up sun to wed or wed to fri for tirol
latest report
@EdYarker, you seem to realise you're expecting the impossible, or at least highly improbable, but are asking snowHeads to tell you your plan is sound?
Is this a subtle form of blame deflection, when (should) it all goes Pete Tong? 'Well, a few snowHeads said it would be luvverly then'? I suppose you're not the first, or the last Laughing
ski holidays
St Gervais 1, La Clusaz 0 in the mid December cup final.
ski holidays
What about Verbier by train / bus transfer. Snow and lifts guaranteed by mid-Dec and you should be able to get good value before Xmas week - try Hotel Bristol https://www.bristol-verbier.ch/
latest report
@BobinCH, good call.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, is snow ever "guaranteed"?

Why do I always forget about Verbier? Yes, defo good call.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, is snow ever "guaranteed"?

Why do I always forget about Verbier? Yes, defo good call.

Mais bien sûre. Lift system will be fully open by then too. Looks good to me
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153473&start=160
latest report
Well it seems like my two preferred options really are a long shot for half decent snow in December.
@PeakyB, I like your theory that I’m planning a disastrous trip and looking for scapegoats! The truth is that I realised it might be a slightly risky time to go but I hoped there would be a decent chance of some snow nearby but those in the know seem to think not, so I very much appreciate the warnings!
@under a new name, I have looked at Aosta options but as you say, the transfers aren’t that great.
@Mr.Egg, three valleys also means a long transfer ( although Jet2 to Chambery would help but I don’t think that’s up and running in time). Innsbruck Wed flights would be lovely but no sign of any yet. Verbier also much more expensive but looks like I will need to compromise somewhere or risk two days of hill walking!
Do you think Grand Massive resorts could work ( stay in a village- ski in Flaine) or a similar plan with Morzine and Avoriaz ( although would rather another option to try somewhere new)?
Thank you all once again- at least we are discussing ski resorts and not Covid!
snow report
What about Zermatt? Agreed that it's a longer transfer, but you can do it by train with less hassle than driving. Snow sure. nice town. Great mountain restarants
ski holidays
@EdYarker, can you get to Venice or Innsbruck for guaranteed snow covered pistes in the Dolomites? For example, Arabba, Corvara, Colfosco?
snow report
@DCG, zermatt would be lovely and has some surprisingly affordable hotels but the train looks like 4 hours or so, which is a tough call for a two day trip. Would not Les Diaberolets or Villars be a more convenient option. I know little of the Swiss side but quite like the idea of the train.
@PeakyB, sadly the Venice flights don’t work for this.. too far apart and return flight goes at 07.00!
latest report
@BobinCH, bien sûr ...
snow report
@EdYarker, It's actually quicker to drive to Zermatt than catching the train, but the train journey is something special - although needs to be in daylight really to get the best of it. I suppose it all depends on the times of your flights and assuming you're not trying to ski on the transfer day. Both the two you mentioned are closer. I've stayed in Les D and that has high level skiing. Have had a day at Villars but not sure about snow there in December (not doubting it, just not sure).
Anothr option would be Grimentz. 2 hours by train from GVA to Sierre and then a taxi to Grimentz. It's about as far from concrete jungle as you can get with really old wooden buildings dotted around.
If you can fly to Zurich then Andermatt and Engleberg are also viable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EdYarker wrote:
Do you think Grand Massive resorts could work ( stay in a village- ski in Flaine) or a similar plan with Morzine and Avoriaz ( although would rather another option to try somewhere new)?!

In terms of smaller Grand Massif villages, Morillon and Samoens have good road access from the Arve valley (autoroute from Geneva) but I don't know about public transport to them. Samoens is an attractive town but the ski lift needs a bus ride, I know nothing about Morillon. However there are Snowheads with places in both who might be able to comment.

Your main issue is predicting the weather! The Western Alps can still be getting warm air weather systems in December, and ideally for skiing you want snow to have started falling in November and staying put to provide a base. If easy flights weren't an issue you should look at places where a lot of the skiing is above 2000m.

In the end it is a gamble, which again makes renting a car from the airport worth considering since it would enable you to travel from whichever place you choose to somewhere that has been luckier, with Argentiere being a somewhat more challenging option if there is no snow elsewhere. You prompted me to look if next year's opening dates had been published for St Gervais, and I can only see that last season they aimed to run from 12th Dec but from the pricing it wouldn't have been full season until 19th Dec. Obviously it didn't actually happen, but we visited the weekend of 19th (to make a delivery before Brexit red tape came in) and there was snow above about 1300m I think, and they had been making artificial snow ready to piste some lower runs. We drove up to Les Contamines where there was already snow down to the valley floor.
snow report
@EdYarker, what's the problem with hiring a car?
snow report
@j b, Thanks for the advice. Yes I can (and will probably have to) hire a car. Just would prefer not to IF I was heading to a close resort.
@DCG, there are actually flights from Bristol to Basel which could just about work and perhaps brings Engleberg into the equation. I know very little about the place but it looks fairly high.
As most people are alluding to, my best bet is probably booking flights to Geneva, biting the bullet with a high car and study the forecasts when we get close. I still think the option of St Gervias with back up skiing in Les Cs is on the cards but why take the risk booking now? Thanks all once again.
latest report
@EdYarker, I'm a great fan of Swiss resorts. Admittedley they are more expensive than say Austria or Italy, but for a two day trip it might not be that bad. Flying into Basel opens up options and I would assume the amount of time you spend in the airport getting luggage etc vs. Geneva would trim a fair bit of time of the transfer. I've been to Engelberg twice on off-piste trips. It is high, with a rotating cable car going up to the glacier and a fair bit of skiing above 2000m. Gnarly in parts, but plenty of skiing for 2 days for aan intermediate. It gets busy at the weekend, but looks like you are going mid week. There is a ski bus linking the town with the main lift base station that only takes about 5 minutes. Not chocolate box, but a genuine town architecture. Maybe just over an hour and a half drive from Basel.
Andermatt not dis-similar, but steeper I would say. A VERY quaint old town with a lot of recent development added on.
ski holidays
It might not help you but we go to StG every Boxing Day for 8-10 days & I’ve always managed to ski some days, mind you even if we didn’t we’d still love it
ski holidays
@EdYarker, there's also Wengen & Murren - a 2 hour drive from Basel to Lauterbrunnen from where you get the train up to either.
Plenty on here about them (Jungfrau region reports) and no doubt advice on snow record for mid December
latest report
Thanks @Jonny996, I haven't given up on St G just yet!
@Jonny996, I am looking at Swiss options. Yes, more expensive but for two days, might be swallow-able. I need to go and do research, rather than blurting out all the questions as they come to me (I have just been looking at the option of train to stay in Le Chable to ski Verbier or even trying Leysin). Maybe I will start a new thread once I have narrowed down some options. Thanks again.
snow report
@EdYarker, seeing as you‘re open to considering other resorts.... are you open to considering other dates? I think you‘d have more options / better chances of decent snow at *any* later time over the next 5 months. Having twice had no snow/nearly no snow in those close-to-Geneva resorts for the Christmas/New Year weeks there‘s no way I‘d book them in advance again earlier than February. For that time of year I‘d be looking at Tignes/Verbier/Zermatt.
snow report
@Gämsbock, Alas no. Or at least, if I am able to do something late season I would be happy to have it as an add on to the early trip. It is fine. I will wait to book accommodation. If it is a poor year for early snow, there is always the train round to Le Chable, to ski Verbier...
ski holidays
@EdYarker, as a basic point, do you know your Bristol flight times yet?
latest report
Haven't booked flights yet but prices starting to inch up already.
Looking at Geneva arrive on the 15th at about 13.20, leave on the 17th at 19.35. If we are able to find somewhere reasonably close we should get almost 2 full day's skiing in and a relaxing first evening.
snow report
@EdYarker, if you've booked your flights it isn't a time in the season when there will be huge pressure on accommodation so you can judge that closer to the time. From the snow report websites, some years there is a good base building up in November which would give you lots of options but it doesn't always happen in which case you will need to look higher. And as long as you are prepared to hire a car if necessary all options are open.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy