Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Transceiver for 21/21? Recs please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
If you're saying you actually understand why the old gear is less efficient, and yet you insist on using it, then that is certainly a different problem.

I actually layed out that there are advantages with the modern devices, but these don't play a considerable role in my sort of usage.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
... Ortovox used to have nice (patented) system that "on / off" switch was integrated into harness. Means it's always on when wearing it..
I remember those on the F1, it seemed like a neat piece of design.

I've been using the Arva Evo 5 for a couple of days now and I like the form factor a lot - it's really designed for pocket not harness use.
There's an extra-cost harness if people want to stick with that.
I can't do an a:b comparison but it works as you'd expect for a modern device.
It uses about 5% battery per day, although I don't yet know if that rate is going to be stable yet.

The "confirm off" switch has a quirk which is that if you press and hold it silences the warning beep, but
continues to transmit. You have to only stab the confirm-off button momentarily to fully power it down.
I don't think that's a great design feature in that a third party could well have trouble turning it off.
But battery removal can be done with the fingers only.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idris wrote:
Barryvox - not the S unless you are Geek and will use it a lot - the standard one is simpler to use

On my ski patrol course last November/December, Barryvoxes were proved to be the longest range and equaly the easyiest to use - just let it do its work and don't rush.

I am well practiced, but on my pro exam, any time under 3min 20, for trancivers minimum depth 50cm is considered good enough for maximum points - I managed 1min50 the fastest of the day.
With the ammount of practice we did, I though everyone would get 10point - 60% didn't......slowest time was 7 min 20, still not terrible.

Just spotted this. Is that for a single transceiver?

Memory is getting hazy, but I think the standard for BASI3 and IML was to find a single transceiver (buried in a rucksack, hit it with a probe to stop the clock) within 2 minutes. For BASI4, standard was to find 2 transceivers, without turning the first one off, within 7 minutes. In both cases, starting from out-of-range, i.e. 100m or so away.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, had a chance today to compare the Evo 5 to the current Pieps Powder BT. I'm biased as I bought the Evo.

Range-wise the Evo seems similar to the Pieps. I could always detect what others were detecting, and in some cases I could detect signals they could not.
I like the "turn around" indicator which I encountered in one search, it's just one less thing to worry about.

The Evo is at least as quick as the Pieps. You're the limitation, not the device's processor.

I liked the ergonomics of the close-up search, from the fancy tone changes to the graphic. I'd guess all current
generation machines will be like that, but it's good anyway.

The "multiple burial" thing works as you'd expect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
any comments on the usability of the Barryvox / Pieps whilst wearing gloves? even doing the transciever check in the morning, you don't always want to deglove, and for searching/digging, certainly not.
Other practical points? harness comfort, switching to search mode, etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok quick resus, Arva Evo 4? Thoughts?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beacon reviews didn’t particularly like it. Why get a 3.5 star transceiver, when you can get a 5 star one?

https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_ArvaEvo4.php

The only Arva transceiver I’ve tried was the Ava Axio, the one with the fold down extended 3rd antenna. In side by side testing it had poor range, and often started off pointing me in the wrong direction at long range. It seems others thought the same as it was introduced in 2016 and discontinued in 2020, which must be some sort of record.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy