Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car rental excess insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For those people who book car hire for DIY ski trips you might want to check out what insurance cover you have, particularly with respect to the excess charge which will be made if you damage the car. I normally use a broker like Holiday Autos or ebooker for my car hire, both of which claim to offer "all inclusive policies". However, both offer an additional policy costing about £2.50 to reduce the excess on your rental insurance to zero. If you decline that additional insurance you could be liable to a very large excess charge on any claim you need to make. For example, Alamo at Geneva have an excess of 2000 CHF which you might be liable for if you make a claim on their rental insurance. For those people who decline supplementary policy offered by the likes of Holiday Autos or ebookers, the rental agencies might try to sell you an over-inflated policy when you collect the car to reduce the excess to zero. Alamo's policy costs, for example, 20 CHF per day, which can actually double the cost of your car hire, and should be avoided unless you have money to burn!

An alternative to paying the excess waiver charge (or keeping your fingers crossed) each time you hire a car is to buy an annual policy like that offered by www.insurance4carhire.com They charge £50 for an annual policy for European car rentals, giving a break-even point of 20 days rental at the £2.50 daily rate charged by Holiday Autos. BTW, I have no interest in this company other than satisfactorily making a claim on the policy I have with them.

As far as I can tell, this applies to bookings in Europe only. Whenever I've booked cars in the US the excess on the rental insurance has been either zero or very low.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Holiday Autos whenever I need a hire car. Someone damaged the rear bumper on a car I had in Italy. With HA's policy I didn't have to pay out anything - they covered the lot. That was before the additional £2.50, though I suspect it was tucked away in the rental price somewhere.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, thanks rob.

I hired through ALAMO (via www.carhire3000.com - fantastic prices!!) for the ESOB. I think i paid the "extra" insurance policy through the broker and i don't remember it being anything different from what i was used to with holidayautos. The person at ALAMO on the way out was complete muppet though and didn't give us a map of how to get back to the french sector of the airport, but it was fun trying to find it without it Wink , they also refused to come down and look over the car with me and took a damage report over the phone rolling eyes from the car park - there were some serious dings on it! The car was also dirty on the outside and rubbish was found inside - rotten apples, plastic bags. On the other hand the ALAMO rep on the way back was brilliant!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyweljenkins wrote:
I use Holiday Autos whenever I need a hire car. Someone damaged the rear bumper on a car I had in Italy. With HA's policy I didn't have to pay out anything - they covered the lot. That was before the additional £2.50, though I suspect it was tucked away in the rental price somewhere.

I think the HA website now includes the excess waiver charge automatically when it quotes the detailed price. To decline it you have to uncheck the relevant box when confirming details of the rental.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worth noting that the £2.50 with HA is only a damage excess waiver, but not a theft excess waiver. This can only be paid for locally, and is usually rolled up with the damage excess waiver. Therefore if you want to take out the theft excess waiver it's better not to take HA's damage excess waiver, as you would end up paying for it twice. All clear?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Burt, that's right. The insurance4carhire.com policy includes excess damage, excess theft plus window and tyre damage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for all the info, think I'll take a look at a few of those for next years trip!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boardalot, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
BTW, I have no interest in this company other than satisfactorily making a claim on the policy I have with them.

Oh dear - the disclaimers are appearing thick and fast. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
BTW, I have no interest in this company other than satisfactorily making a claim on the policy I have with them.

Oh dear - the disclaimers are appearing thick and fast. wink

And that one was included before today's debate! Obviously I wouldn't want any snowHeads to think I owned an insuarnce company Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The travel insurance that I get with my NatWest Black mastercard includes CDW insurance.

In fact, if you travel frequently it's generally rather a good card: Priority Pass Lounge access, comprehensive travel insurance, concierge service, European Green Flag membership, household emergency insurance, etc. all for £250. Similar cover I am led to understand as Amex Platinum.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
The travel insurance that I get with my NatWest Black mastercard includes CDW insurance.

Is that for Europe? My Amex card gives me CDW but for North America only (at least I think that's the case - should check the small print, just in case I'm buying unnecessary cover).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, definitely. Had to invoke it twice too - saved me around €1,600. Check the small print!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, definitely. Had to invoke it twice too - saved me around €1,600. Check the small print!

Thanks, I'll do that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy