Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extreme Snowhead stickering

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Seems a bit odd to be putting this in "The Piste", as that really did not enter into this trip at all - oK we did about 100m of piste on the first day at La Thuile, but that was very much plan B as, it being Easter Sunday, there was no room in the inn , or mountain hut, that night).

I've put up few piccies (you may need to play around with the sorting a bit, the natural order seems a bit random) from my last tour, culminating in getting to the top of the Gran Paradiso, the highest mountain entirely in Italy.

This one's about 3300m, with a nice view over the the Grand Motte in the background.

This is at the top - 4061m

So is this the highest a snowHead sticker has been (while still on terra firma)? Unfortunately I didn't manage to decorate Our Lady with a sticker, as I'd left them back in my rucksack at home base (but of course that would have just been rank vandalism anyway Wink ).

And moderately exposed conditions too - this was the top of the path to get there

So I guess that's another one easiski'll never be doing either Very Happy.

As ever I seem to have forgotten to take many photos aof any actual skiing, but here's one to show that we did at least do some.

and here're a few tracks, at least some of which ar ours
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm nice, well until someone says different you have the record I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice.
Someone left a few stickers on a few pylons in Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, Deer Valley and The Canyons in Jan/Feb this year, but I've no idea who did it...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Someone suggested a ski pole with blue tack on the end was a good method of fixing them.........can't remember who it was............... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, I was sure that I had read somewhere that a lot of time it can be done just by stretching.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...but not while holding a camera in the other hand...
http://photos.wtfh.com/album/Epic%202006/slides/64.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I just realised - someone has the same gloves as me!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Common as muck, them gloves! Did the same gloves stretch to pylons in VT?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, perhaps, but maybe the owner didn't have stickers with him...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, I looked back at that thread where you put up a grading scale ( Shocked let's not go back there Shocked ), and was interested to note that your definition of "Basic Advanced" now seems to fit me pretty much like a glove (although breakable's not now the nightmare it used to be, I'm probably happyish on a 4.2 slope on a good day, and I've not done anything BASI-like). I was watching our ascent rates through the week, and it turned out 300m/hr was pretty comfortable (at least by the end of the week, and that was pretty much the rate up to Gran Paradiso). The fastest we went was the early afternoon ascent of Punta Poleta, about 2 hrs @ 350m/hr and that nearly finished me off - although I did scupper myself by waiting too long to strip off to baselayer and couldn't then stop overheating Embarassed . So I'm quite sure I'm well off 400m/hr Sad .

Sorry I missed you at the EoSB.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, It looks great, as a matter of interest is the most obvious peaky bit in the background the Grand Casse?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN,

Good work
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar, if you mean the large mountain in the distance in the first two photos, yes, it's the the top of Tignes. As I've not skied there much myself, I called it the Grande Motte, but looking at the piste map again, I see that the peak to the right of the massif is the Grand Casse (with its North Face in partial shadow), and the slightly lower one to the left side of the massif is the Grande Motte itself. It's not too obvious in that picture, as the distance is a bit out of focus, but the main piste was very visible sweeping down towards us.

They (this was a SCBG trip) have been doing this tour for the last 3 years, and I think Bruce (despite having repeated virtually nothing himself) is looking for something slightly different next year. They've also had a tour round the back of the Vanoise (called the Vanoise Haute Route) for a while. So when we were talking about what may go in the brochure for next year, the suggestion was made to maybe link between the two, and do a tour from here to there (or something like it). Other suggestions were to try something over in Austria, where the SCGB do very little at present, but is supposed to have some great touring. So watch this space.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy