Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train or Plane?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

it looks like you can get direct services from Paris to Turin, Milan, Bardonecchia and Sauze d'Oulx / Sestriere.

For some reason I've never thought of it, but per the snowcarbon planner (https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts) this looks a pretty decent option. Might consider it sometime.

Depart London 09:22, arrive Oulx 19:23 (one change in Paris).

Comparable to Eurostar direct to Bourg (09:45 to 19:03)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnHSmith wrote:
richb67 wrote:
anyone tried the Train to North-East Italy ?

it looks like you can get direct services from Paris to Turin, Milan, Bardonecchia and Sauze d'Oulx / Sestriere.

Did you mean NE Italy or NW Italy?
A friend has done the North-East of Italy several times, usually via Munich and then Innsbruck / Franzenfeste / Bruneck to travel to the Kronplatz area

yes actually meant NW as assumed NE too much of a pain but would be interested in any experiences people have of trying the Dolomites.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulO78 wrote:
Quote:

For some reason I've never thought of it, but per the snowcarbon planner (https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts) this looks a pretty decent option. Might consider it sometime.

Depart London 09:22, arrive Oulx 19:23 (one change in Paris).

Comparable to Eurostar direct to Bourg (09:45 to 19:03)

yes, I was pleasantly surprised when I investigated. We live in the SW so it's a bit of a struggle to do in a day, theoretically possible but not really that feasible as you ideally need to be at St Pancras for 8:30 ish. But if you've got easy access to St Pancras or Ashford it looks very doable. ATM most train timetables seem to have been cutback it might be easier when they are running as normal.

for us ca 11-12 hrs by rail vs 8-9 hrs by plane but likely more expensive by train.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@richb67, Dolomites definitely a bit of a faff given distance and geography, but it’s a pleasant trip.

I’ve used sleeper from Cologne to Innsbruck for trips to Tirol and Dolomites. Leave St Pancras lunchtime, arrive Dolomites late morning the following day. Quick and very easy change at Brussels, another easy change at Cologne (including time for dinner near station). Very civilised!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richb67 wrote:
JohnHSmith wrote:
richb67 wrote:
anyone tried the Train to North-East Italy ?

Did you mean NE Italy or NW Italy?
A friend has done the North-East of Italy several times, usually via Munich and then Innsbruck / Franzenfeste / Bruneck to travel to the Kronplatz area

yes actually meant NW as assumed NE too much of a pain but would be interested in any experiences people have of trying the Dolomites.

Some years ago we looked at the train from Amsterdam to Munich which was direct with a sleeper option. In the end we drove from Amsterdam but I can't recall why. I suppose it depends quite a lot on your starting place in the UK (or elsewhere). For me in Cumbria it is easier to go Newcastle / Amsterdam or Hull / Rotterdam or Zeebrugge rather than spend a day travelling to London to get the train from there
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

yes, I was pleasantly surprised when I investigated. We live in the SW so it's a bit of a struggle to do in a day, theoretically possible but not really that feasible as you ideally need to be at St Pancras for 8:30 ish. But if you've got easy access to St Pancras or Ashford it looks very doable. ATM most train timetables seem to have been cutback it might be easier when they are running as normal.

We're Brighton, so only an hour by train to St Pancras. We did the overnight sleeper to Bourg/Moutiers a few times before it was cancelled - with dinner in Paris it was a decent option. I can't face the overnight EuroStar on regular seats though.

Once the world goes back to normal I'm considering trying St Anton one year via the Dutch Alpen-Express sleeper (with bar carriage).

But yes, it's invariably more expensive to go by train than to fly; I wish it weren't.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulO78, When I first went by snow train there were two sleepers parked at calais, one went to Bourg St Marurice and one went to St. Anton. The next year both went to Bourg st Maurice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulO78, @johnE, I'd certainly be interested in a direct train service London to St Anton, have looked at the overnight ferry Hull/ Rotterdam and then somehow getting to Den Haag and then the Dutch train but it'd be a logistical nightmare, also the thought of a 1000 orange cloggy's all non-stop partying for 12 hours put me off. I think it's a non-starter now, it'd be a social distancing desert and a CV/SARS petri dish on wheels.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, yes, the logistics is a drag. I think we'd have to go St Pancras - Brussels - Eindhoven to pick up the sleeper. Fun going out, but I'd probably fly back. If some enterprising company would set up some more joined-up options from London I'd be willing to pay a premium over flying (certainly if the trains were nicer than the old French ones!).

Yeah, party carriages in trains probably won't be a thing for a while - maybe 2024?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arctic Roll wrote:
@faithsdaddy, as above AirB&B has a lot of variable days accommodation in Arc2000.
Or you can try Base Camp Lodge in Bourg St Maurice itself, which again, is booked by the day and may be perfect for you and your son.
https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/

even though we own an apartment in 1950, I've done both 2000 AirB&B and BCL in recent years, and think both may hit the spot.

The last three times in Les Arcs (one of those on the couchette train the last year it ran) we stayed in Arcs 1600 - The Roc Belle Face. A *very* short trundle from the top of the funicular, and they have a luggage room and toilets to change in so you can drop your stuff when you arrive first thing, and leave stuff there when you check out and ski on your last day. We normally go first week of Easter holidays, but we've asked for and been given a seventh night accommodation a couple of times - as long as it's low season they seem to have enough spare capacity to accommodate (they normally cant confirm until nearer the time, so we've had a backup airbnb on standby just in case)

Pretty reasonably priced for what you get - the apartments are quite nice, and they have a pool and hot tub too. I've booked it directly through here in the past: https://www.lagrange-holidays.co.uk/holidays-rental-sea-mountain,accommodation-alps-savoie,les-arcs-1600-ARC160-L-FACE-residence.html#residence
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
faithsdaddy wrote:
@eblunt, What do you do for accommodation? Any time I look at going away, it seems to be strictly Saturday to Saturday.

It's our own small studio there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@richb67 - this is a blog post I wrote for Ski2 about train to Champoluc, might be of interest
https://ski2champoluc.com/skiing-in-champoluc/travelling-to-champoluc/travelling-by-train/

@PaulO78 - I'm in Brighton too. What I love about that train connection to St Pancras is that from getting off the train from Brighton onto the platform at STP, I often hardly need to break my stride and can be in the departures lounge in 15 minutes. Might help that I'm often getting the 0755, which does mean an early start from Brighton, but it all works perfectly and in Alps by the evening.

@Markymark29 - you can obviously Eurostar to Paris, change then to Zurich and then direct to St Anton. The great thing about this option is your ZRH train leaves from Austerlitz, which you can walk to in 10 mins from Gare du Nord. Also one time my train into ZRH was going to be 10 minutes late. I let the guard know I was going to miss my connection and they actually held the connecting train to STA until we got in. Again this is a day trip, not overnight. You leave am from the UK, arrive late-evening into St Anton
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy