Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on '06 Rossignol Bandits

Poster: A snowHead
I noticed that the Rossignol Bandit B2 seemed to be the darling of the all mountain type last season, so I was wondering how the new extended Bandit range faired in comparison this year. Did the new B2 work out as well as it did last year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mark

The B2 for 2006/2007 is unchanged from last winter. It still an excellent all round ski with maybe a slight piste bias.

If anyone is interested the B4 has been replaced by 2 skis, the B Squad (130/104/117) and Squad (130/100/120) and the B1 has been beefed up to a curvey 114/74/104 (compared to 109/70/99 last winter)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have not skied the '06/'07 B2's, as yet. Frankly, they were never in the demo inventory, here in eastern NA. It seemed like they were all sent out west, while they wanted the east to focus on the Zeniths. But I did spend the season on a pair of '05/'06 B2's, and they were wonderful, the most fun pair of ski's I have had to date. They do everything very well, including moguls and ice (I was told ice was a weakness) and on/off piste. I have the 160's, and thus a very tight turn radius. To make it all the better,, I had found them in a discount bin, at a local retailers, for $250.cdn. And then married them up with a pair of Look P12 TI bindings, off of Ebay, for $100.cdn. Gosh, I love a bargin !! Then I got my next instructors certification on them. So they have really impacted my skiing in a positive way.

I did have a chance to talk to a Rossi' rep, about the '06/'07 model. And he said that there were just a few minor refinements and selling points made for this past new season, too show a continuous improvement effort. Basically,, it was the same great ski,, a true light delight !! One concern that I do have is that they seem to be becoming noticably more flexible,,, (rapidly losing thier stiffness). I skied them 63 ski days, this past season. Don't get me wrong,, they still perform,,, it is just a bit of a concern for me, for the upcoming year. But soft and sexy is working great so far.

Bottom line,, my B2's are my main ski, good for everything, including the park. I have just picked up a new pair of Z5's to play with this coming year,,, but I find myself wishing "gosh,, I hope they are as good as my B2's" !!
Catmandu
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They snap easily! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have heard on good authority that freshly waxed B2s are faster than Charlatanefc heading to the bar at last orders
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Martski,,

Could you elaborate a little ?? Have you had a this experience yourself,,, or under what circumstances and conditions have you seen failures ?? Myself, at 63kg,, I don't think I stress my ski's at highly as some.
Catmandu
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty,,,
It is true,, they are surprizingly fast, and stable !!
Catmandu
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not really a fair test as it involved a drop onto barely submerged rocks, if the skis hadnt broken, I would have! In all seriousness I think both 04/05 and 05/06 season skis were about the best allrounders available, if I had to choose though would go for the older model for piste work.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark2010,

I ended up buying a pair this March, after testing them against the VolklAC4 and the Atomic M:Ex. Previously I had a pair of the old Bandit X (vintage 2000) so I guess I like the Rossi platform.

I've found they did pretty much everything I asked them to do in two weeks at Whistler, in conditions that varied between slush, re-frozen slush (they - and I - didn't like that quite so much), fresh powder, packed powder and sticky crud.

I like them!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skiied the 2006/2007 B2 at the EoSB and found them comfortable, cruisy and easy to turn but not a patch on the Scott Aztec Pros IMHO. The Scott's were more exciting to ski
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark,

Nice one,

Don't get seduced by comfy slippers.. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark, cheers

I had heard rumblings in favour of the Aztecs, now that I hear them again I might have to have a look. Shame they aren't as pretty as the B2's though!

When you say more exciting, how do you mean? Better edge control? punchier through turns? I'm coming from Salomon Scream 10's of 2002, which i liked, but in truth i have had little for comparison. I accidently pulled the edge out of them this season, so was thinking about trying to pick up an end of season deal on a new all mountain ski.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark2010,

It is great to ask for input on selecting new gear (I know I do),,, but be sure to try before you buy, if at all possible !! Close to the end of each season,,, I arrange to demo anything that I might be likely to consider for the next season.

Funny,, that you like the B2's graphics. I like them too,, they are a bit retro (not unlike me !!). Some testers have critisized Rossi for these graphics,,, but I think they were just hardpressed to find a "con", to offset the many "pros".
Catmandu
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, indeed. I just wish they'd had Stoeklis to test...

Mark2010, they feel much "springier" in turns and feel more precise when carving. You can really feel the ski through the foot whereas the B2 feels a bit more remote. They did edge better but I didn't try them on hardpack or very firm piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Catmandu, good point. I will definately be testing myself, but i really just wanted to narrow down the group and have some names in mind before otherwise walking into the shop and just picking out the pairs that look the coolest!

I really like the sound of the Aztecs, but I prefer, as I've said, the look of the b2's. I'll just have to try them out, hopefully there will be enough difference to make a clear cut decision. I hate sitting in the shop for ages with a bad case of decision making disorder....
snow conditions
I ski on 170 cm 04/05 Rossi B2's most of the time and love 'em to bits, just dig out my old pair of 185cm Pocket Rockets from time to time for the really deep stuff. The B2's are a great all-round ski, quick from edge to edge, fun fun fun, and fantastic in all snow condition (yes - including hardpack / ice if you keep the edges sharp.)

BrightonSki Cool
ski holidays
Mark2010,
Quote:

I really like the sound of the Aztecs, but I prefer, as I've said, the look of the b2's. I'll just have to try them out, hopefully there will be enough difference to make a clear cut decision. I hate sitting in the shop for ages with a bad case of decision making disorder....

Eeeek. Did I really read the above on snowHead Shocked I do believe that this is a girly "Does my bum look big in this" post.
Do you intend to ski whilst looking down at your planks?...or do you need a pair to look good on the restaurant rack? Twisted Evil
How a ski manufacturer paints a top sheet is of far less importance, than how the ski performs for me. Go test some Stoecklis...then try the B2's Very Happy
snow report
snowbunny, No, I don't look down at them while skiing, but i do tend to notice them in the full length mirror that the chap I pay to ski alongside me carries Twisted Evil

Yes, i know its a bit girly and that ski choice should be entirely based on performance rather than appearance, but I just dont like the pattern on the Aztecs, while when i look at the b2's, i think, 'cool skis, wouldnt mind a pair of them myself.'

Anyway, in the era of metrosexual men, aren't we allowed to place more emphasis on our appearance?

Thanks for the Stoeckli tip, their all mountain skis are definately in the 'cool skis, wouldnt mind a pair of them myself' category. Now i just need to find somewhere that stocks them, as i have never come across them before!
snow conditions
Mark2010, snowHead You may not like the look of Stoecklis up close, they are sooo not fashionable wink

Have a chat to JT, to get the lowdown, he's a confirmed fan and has tested a number of models, whereas I only tested 1 model in 2 lengths, loved them Cool , bought them !

Here's a pic of 2 different versions of Stoeckli Stormriders, the AT and XL. The XL's here have touring bindings. The AT's are mine Cool
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/2907/cat/608
snow report
snowbunny,

Hi, been away.......again.?

Yep, didn't want to jump on the train of bashing B2's but to paraphrase another, I wouldn't stir your tea with them.
No life and no soul and the Recon and XL are far better in every respect,IMO. They hold edge better, straightline better
and give more back if you jump on them. The B2's are solid enough and do everything well but there isn't any ooompph, hence my comfy slippers remark.
Having said all that, if they do what you want them to do and are happy with them then they are a great ski for you. I just don't get them.

I think the B3 is a far more interesting proposition and saw a fellow skier whizz around them with no trouble at all but graphics aren't the strong point there either.

Sorry
ski holidays
JT,
Quote:

Hi, been away.......again.?

Did you miss me Little Angel I'm back now though Twisted Evil Laughing
Quote:

the Recon and XL are far better in every respect,IMO. They hold edge better, straightline better

And what about the AT Toofy Grin Now I can guess that you have not tested a pair, since they are suitable for smaller/lighter skiers, they do seem to do everything I want, surprised me by being quite good on sharp icy bumps, and I have not found top speed yet Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I'm a little bit sheltered as to all the brands out there, having mainly been exposed to Salomon. Who makes the Recons? I can do a web search but a link is always appreciated:D

I thought I'd mention what im looking for more specifically. Im a mainly on piste type, i would only bother going off when there is pretty fresh powder. On saying that I have plenty of off piste experience so am pretty solid in most conditions. I'm not really (in fact not at all)into tricks or any of that rubbish. I would also ski pretty aggressively and enjoy working the ski hard, so I'm not too worried about one that isnt all that forgiving.

I appreciate the comments on the B2's, what youre saying is what I was looking for when I posted. 'Life and soul' sounds far more like what I am looking for. The ski I am after really is one that will cope with hard pack piste, so good edges and stiff enough not to rattle around when the speed picks up, and fresh powder when Im lucky enough to find some. Also I am quite tall and heavy (6'2, 95kgs) so am not looking for a ski that is 'suitable for smaller/lighter skiers'!

So far I think i will test the Rossi B2 (anyone have any further comments on the B3?), the Scott Aztec (euugh) and the Stockli Stormrider XL if i can find them. What else is worth a look?
ski holidays
Mark2010, if you're deliberately a primarily piste type it sounds like the Stockli Stormrider XL is going to be the best all-rounder for you of that lot. As I understand it the Aztec Pro is stiffer than the Aztec, so probably better for on-piste (Alan Craggs has both, so he could describe the differences for you). But if you're a skier with solid technique who's primarily interested in the piste, with only the occasional off-piste venture, how about going for a GS ski, maybe something like the Rossi 9X? rob@rar.org.uk and David Murdoch can probably best steer you around those waters. The fuller name of the "Recon" is the Apache Recon, made by K2. The more on-piste family member is the Apache Crossfire, and the more back-country version is the Apache Outlaw.
snow report
Mark2010, Not sure where you are but S&R had some xl's in their sale at the Hemel dry slope a couple of weeks ago.
snow conditions
Mark2010, the 2007 Aztec Pros that I tried have been updated...

http://www.lapoudre.com/forum10733-Skis_Scott_2007_Genius_SDR_RCX_X_Fight_Aztec_Pro_Aztec_Patrol_Mission_Pure_SW_Rosa_P4_P3_P2_P1.html

I really, really wanted to try some Stormrider XLs but Fall Line didn't have any Sad

I tried the B2, Head Monster M82 and Aztec Pro and of those, the Aztecs were the best on-piste IMHO Very Happy
ski holidays
GrahamN, He he, yes, decision making disorder is now taking hold. I have been thinking about going down the GS ski avenue, snow and rock have the Atomic GS 11's at quite a big mark down, so they are looking very tempting right now!

I'm sure people are getting sick of this thread by now, but my last pair of race skis were 208's, and I still havent fully come to terms with the new 'short ski fad'. My scream 10's are about 178ish and as an all mountain i know they should be shorter than a GS. At 6'2 and 95 kgs what kind of length would be right?

I really appreciate all the comments Toofy Grin

P.S Those new aztecs look fantastic! My bum certainly wouldnt look big on those!
latest report
Mark2010,
Quote:

P.S Those new aztecs look fantastic! My bum certainly wouldnt look big on those!

You may have to budget for a new outfit to match though Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Mark2010, i'm about the same shape as you. i have a pair of underused atomic sx11s for the piste which are 170s and my off-piste skis are 186s. there are some times when i wish the 186s were longer and some times when i wish the 170s were shorter. i'd just get the length you're comfortable with. that's probably not much help
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark2010, I think the decision tree has just exploded Shocked . You need to decide what you want to do with these skis, and how many pairs you want. I'm a few cm shorter and (only) a couple of kg lighter, ski almost entirely off-piste (but like to push it when I do get on piste), but do a bit of Slalom too, so have 2: Dynastar Legend 8000 for all-mountain and Fischer RC4s for slalom (almost exclusively on plastic so far). I found that I needed the Legends in 184 to avoid diving too much in fresh powder, and something longer and fatter would be better (but probably less good on piste). I certainly wouldn't go shorter/narrower than those if you really do want to do any decent powder skiing. (I won't suggest the Legends for you either Shocked , as while they do a fine job on-piste for an all-mountain ski, there are much better on-piste skis if that's more your bag). I'm fairly sure the B2 would be a waste of time for you.

Quote:
as an all mountain i know they should be shorter than a GS

Really? The fashion now is for them to be getting longer and fatter again - I really loved the Dynastar 8800s (188cm, 89mm waist), and most people seem to be heading now for something like 90-100mm width, 190cm long.

So what are you doing on the piste: racing, pulling tricks heading towards the park, or just pootling about? If the latter, I guess almost anything'll do (get something by Salomon) Wink . I have no idea at all about tricks stuff, so can't help you there. If you think you'll go back to racing though make sure you have something FIS-legal (GS: 185cm min length (with -5cm tolerance), 21m min radius; SL: 165cm min length; binding height 55mm max). I would imagine GS and all-mountain could combine if necessary, as the 8000s are pretty much those dimensions (although too soft for proper racing). A GS ski should float OK for you, although the stiffness of a full-on race ski would maybe make their soft snow performance a little "interesting". My SL skis are actually 160cm (as there's no limit on plastic, and the gates are generally tighter than on snow), and I've used a 160cm ski (Stockli Spirit) on hard snow very happily (I also took them a little off-piste, but that was a little adventurous) - so don't worry at all about going short if you're looking for some radical turn capability.
snow conditions
Mark2010, B3 has been a great ski here. Goes to prove that a ski over 80mm is nothing to fear and has been great for all and any. There is no change next year there. The B4 has been terminated and rightly so. She will be replaced by the awsome B-Squad. This is not to be confused with the B-Squad for this year, renamed B-Squad Pro next, but is a kick-ass off-piste ski in the; Volkl Mantra/Explosive, Dynastar Pro-Rider mould. For us and for the industry in general, skis less than 80mm are becoming obseliet. They cannot beconsidered 'All-Mountain' as their 'Off-Piste' performance is severley lacking and compared to their 'Off-Piste' compatriates 'On-Piste'performance they lag sadly behind, for this reason forget B2, they are history. Try a B3, or something with similar geometry next year. Little Angel
snow conditions
GrahamN,

The Outlaw is very tempting in 181....not at all interested in the Recon or Outlaw in anything shorter. The only time I fell in VT was head over the tips because they were too short....!! Oh, I did get snagged up on 8000's on breakbable crust once but that was the only legit fall....honest...!!

If Mark is 95 kgs he may over power the XL at 174 in deeper stuff, on piste they will be right there, Maybe try this stiff ski one size up. But as you say thats a one quiver option,
I'd try the XL long and then go GS if there are any shortcomings in the ski
latest report
I'm really tempted to go for two separate pairs, as the obvious benefits of having a ski specifically for each task is appealing. The convenience of the all mountain ski is equally appealing though, as skiing for me is always a flight away, only having to cart one pair makes life a little more pleasant. I'm beginning to wish I'd taken the plunge and headed to VT for the ESOB as it would have (hopefully) cleared the issue up for me.

As it is I think I might just start putting the pennies away and do a couple of days testing the models im interested in next season, and go for two pairs. The selection of skis i would have access to try out on the dendix where I am is pretty limited and after the comments here there are a lot more brands that I would like to try than Rossi and Salomon.

Argentiere is the plan for next year, so I may come by your store SMALLZOOKEEPER, Little Angel

Thanks again for all the input, it really has opened my eyes as to how much choice there is out there!
snow report
I like the 2 set concept. Currently, I have my B2's and 9S's. The 9S's are about to be replaced by new Z5's.

Frankly,, I find the Mutex concept interesting only from a technical standpoint. I think I would prefer to have 2 sets of ski's,, rather than carrying tools and spare parts around, swapping out arms,,, etc. Plus, I can have 2 sets of quality ski's (with some degree of overlapping capability), for the price of one pair of Mutex.
Catmandu
snow report
Ah, Catmandu, but have you thought of the aftermarket accessory sales? Anodised arms, 'custom' flexing, spoilers, shiny with LEDs, springs and shocks and valving, oh I'm dizzy with marketing possibility. wink
ski holidays
I skied on a pair of 05/06 B2's this season....however they broke after just 6 weeks use-one ski completely lost it's shape, with the camber the opposite to what it should be (i.e tips apart and waists together. I didn't have any major accidents, and sent them back to Rossignol hoping for a replacement, or at least some sort of action.....but no, they were very unhelpful about the whole thing and i was pretty unimpressed with their servce....but anyway-i thought the ski was ok, but that's about it, nothing special...average in most conditions/terrain. I bought a pair of next seasons Head XRC 1200's instead, and absolutely love them....fantastic on-piste-hold an edge on almost anything, and surprisingly good in bumps/off-piste.
ski holidays
that is scarey Chris !!

Since I put 60+ ski days on my B2's this past season,,, and I probably average at least 4 hours of skiing per day, I am a bit concerned. Since I just got my new Z5's home yesterday,,, so I have been doing a lot of comparisons with my B2's, while setting them up. I find that my camber is still fine,, with as much as the new Z5's. The big difference is in the stiffness, which I noticed had declined in my B2's rapidly over the season. A local shop has a pair of new 05/06 B2w's on the shelf, at the same length, so I also did a flex comparsion with them. And, yup,, they are considerably stiffer.

So although I am still very pleased with the way my B2's ski, it is only fair to say that I would be happier if they maintained thier stiffness longer. I still expect that I will spend the majority of my time on them this coming year. Time will tell, as I have to give my Z5's a fair test (will let you know in 6 months, or so).

But what really is unacceptable is the lack of response and support that you got from your dealer and manufacturer. I guess I have been fortunate in experiences with Rossi'. For example, when I crushed a heel binding, with one of my less graceful manuvers, they replaced my bindings with an upgraded model, no questions. But anyway,,, I am glad to hear that you found those Head's to your liking.
Catmandu
ski holidays
that is scarey Chris !!

Since I put 60+ ski days on my B2's this past season,,, and I probably average at least 4 hours of skiing per day, I am a bit concerned. Since I just got my new Z5's home yesterday,,, so I have been doing a lot of comparisons with my B2's, while setting them up. I find that my camber is still fine,, with as much as the new Z5's. The big difference is in the stiffness, which I noticed had declined in my B2's rapidly over the season. A local shop has a pair of new 05/06 B2w's on the shelf, at the same length, so I also did a flex comparsion with them. And, yup,, they are considerably stiffer.

So although I am still very pleased with the way my B2's ski, it is only fair to say that I would be happier if they maintained thier stiffness longer. I still expect that I will spend the majority of my time on them this coming year. Time will tell, as I have to give my Z5's a fair test (will let you know in 6 months, or so).

But what really is unacceptable is the lack of response and support that you got from your dealer and manufacturer. I guess I have been fortunate in experiences with Rossi'. For example, when I crushed a heel binding, with one of my less graceful manuvers, they replaced my bindings with an upgraded model, no questions. But anyway,,, I am glad to hear that you found those Head's to your liking.
Catmandu
latest report
Glad to hear you didn't experience them same thing Catmandu! Smile Yeah i'll look forward to your review of the Z5's-i was thinking about getting a pair but after my experiences i'm not too sure..
I agree that the service was pretty unacceptable, especially as i bought the skis through the BASI instructor deal-you would have thought they would do as much as they could to encourage you to keep buying from them.
As for the actual ski-i think maybe i was a bit harsh on my last post....was just in the mood for a rant i think! The skis are better than average. They were quite good in most situations i put them in, especially in variable conditions actually. They didn't really excell at anything, but if you are only going to buy one ski, then they are definately an option....just don't expect them to last too long!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy