Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyngen or Lofoten?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Coming back to this. Mate is trying to organize first week of April in Lofoten with Northern Alpine guides. Anyone been with them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thought that this was going to be a Norrona chat. Razz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went with offpistekiing 7 years ago for 10 days. We stayed at Lofoten ski Lodge where Alpine Guides are based.

10 days - 2 good days, 7 clag,drizzle, wet shitty snow. Incredible scenery when you could see - but ultimately its an Arctic Maritime environment and climate change probably making it even more unpredictable....
should have gone to AK in hindsight!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, when we go with offpisteskiing we stay in the accommodation run by NAG and he gets to go to guides' meetings etc. Based on previous experience, they're a friendly bunch. Mix of American and Scandi guides with one or two others mixed in. There seems to be a pretty consistent group so I'd expect that you'll have someone who has visited frequently. They do tend to stick to the classic lines which are a bit busier (but never *really* busy.). If you make up a whole group you can obviously ask to get a bit more off the beaten track, try out steeper stuff etc. That said, the classics are classic for a reason so all are well worth doing.

The accommodation is pretty good - you sleep in refurbished fisherman's huts then eat and drink in a big converted fish processing plant (better than it sounds). Good sauna and hot tub, decent food (assuming you like cod!). Last time we were there the TGR team were staying there which added a bit of star quality Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski wrote:
Thought that this was going to be a Norrona chat. Razz

On one of my Lyngen trips on the boat next to us we had the Norrona crew who were doing a photo-shoot with next season's gear, never seen so much clothing hanging around their boat, looked like a pastel sweet convention going on Laughing

And one of my best "stories" which I have mentioned before, but still a good yarn.....

Day one, Per our guide puts his foot in his Dynafiddle and one of the pins breaks!!

Luckily on the boat next to us they had a spare set of skis, telemark.

Four or five days later we're in Lyngdseidt sitting out a wet weather front tracking through and finally, we go out around 16:00 as we still had plenty of daylight.

On the way up this group came down and there was a lot of Dynafit branded clothing being worn, so I asked "you're nothing to do with Dynafit are you?" to which one of their group replied "He is Mr Dynafit" and it was Fritz Barthel, Per showed him the broken pin which he still had in his pocket and he snatched it away.

He sent me some spares and we stayed in contact and the next season I went ski-touring with him and his father in the Queyras.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to note, the accommodation has changed since Norris would have been (it's a similar setup though) and we've been a bit luckier with weather in the last few years but the risks of wind, rain and zero vis are real. The snowpack does seem to deal with rain surprisingly well though Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Five trips to Lyngen and only had rain one day, went to Narvik and it rained for two days, so don't know how you can check if Lofoten is more susceptible to rain over Lyngen but might be worth Googling?

Riksgransen doesn't get the rain as much further inland, and there's quite a lot of landmass before Lyngen whereas Lofoten has nothing in front of the isles and is a lot further South so maybe milder airflow?

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
two visits to lyngen for me , 12 days skiing , one white out , two low viz , and balance from good to spectacular , late April time also lucky to catch a northern lights show , heading back to Norway this year but skiing Senja for a change
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lofoten is beautiful. My brother in law s boss let us use his house (one of them) in henningsvaer before a storm destroyed it. It is beautiful.

We also used his houses in norefjel (ski in/out) and hemsedal not ski in/out because you can't land the helicopter next to the cabins that side of the village. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy