Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Skins - Advice Required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We discovered on a February ski tour (from our back door) that our skins are on their last legs.

We are therefore looking at either regluing them or replacing them (or both, so we have an old pair for rockhopping trips), in the hope that touring in Scotland may be possible after lockdown.

I'm therefore looking for some advice, please.

1. How feasible is it to reglue our existing skins?
2. Can any one recommend a decent deal on new skins, via mail order? We are hoping to get a pair each for under about £260 if we can.
3. Are glueless skins any good? Or best avoided?

Our preference is for skins that fit the tail first, then stretch to hook over the tip.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have several pairs on different skis - Kohla, Pomoca, Contour, Colltex and these are my favorites so far. Goood tip/tail attachments keep them on, while not too sticky so no battles getting them on / off in the wind. Glide beautifully and grip well. Not showing any obvious wear yet after 20 to 30 outings
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/kohla/alpinist-mohair-130mm-elastic-k-clip.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bergmeister, I tried regluing an old pair using Black Diamond’s iron-on glue sheets. It was a messy messy process that didn’t end well. I am pretty handy, so there wasn’t too much cack-handedness.

We both have Contour Hybrid skins now (some in the Black Crows branded version, but its the same skin material/ glue). These are excellent, very sticky to the ski but not to the skin so easy to handle (no cheat sheets required, can just fold up in half and stuff in rucksack - great on windy Scottish days), durable skin face, and have a great glide and grip. Best skins I’ve owned (tried Black Diamond and Colltext over 18 years). Good thing about the Contour glue is that you can wash the skins in warm soapy water to refresh them. They’re doing very well so far - one pair seen 60+ outings over 4 years including a fair bit of Scottish rock and heather.

BackcountryUK have some good deals at present. Great shop as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can recommend the Pomoca glue. Skins stick like new after application. Lasts a long time if you don't get the spray but the normal one. A piece of cardboard (i.e. tetra pak) comes in handy to brush it out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, if you can get hold of some Colltex CT40 glue does the trick

Had to buy some new skins for the OH this week and came in at an eye-watering €185 with attachments/cutting compared to last year when I bought some Black Diamond on Sport Pursuit for €85 Shocked

And we were out on Wednesday and with the new skins she still amassed a couple of kgs of snow on them, as I kept telling her don't stop to rest at altitude but just keep moving, ever so slowly to stop that build-up.

Most of this season I've been using a light Poca cut down no tail clips and they've been brilliant, I get them off in 30secs as I don't bother with sheets.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much to all. Some very useful pointers there.

@Tristero, @Weathercam, did you remove the old glue and, if so, how? Puzzled

Given the inexpensive cost of glue I'm tempted to give it a go - and also buy a new pair. That way we will also have a pair of rock/heather hoppers. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bergmeister, just slap it all over the old.

I'm always surprised that that little pot of Colltex glue is only just about enough for two pairs.

Over the years between me and the OH we're amassing quite a number of pairs of skins!

OH did a classic a few days ago, hung skins up to dry on the washing line, then dropped one on the grass, and then spent an hour or so with tweezers, even then they're still covered in dry grass along with the inevitable dog hair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
@Bergmeister, just slap it all over the old.

This!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is my advice...

1) use an iron and brown parcel paper to remove old glue (heat back of paper and peel off). You don't need to take all the old glue off. However removing dirt and old oxidised glue really helps new glue stick. Scrapper can help if you want to do a proper job

2) Reglue with Colltex transfer tape. Much easier and cleaner than other options
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy