Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Hempstead or Milton Keynes for indoor skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
My partner is a fairly new ski-er, and has had to cancel 2 ski holidays due to covid. I was thinking of buying him some ski vouchers for one of the indoor slopes with real snow so that he can have a bit of practice. Hemel Hempstead and Milton Keynes are within driving distance for us, so i was wondering which is best?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's not a huge amount between them to be honest. If they're both equal distance, then I'd maybe go Hemel, purely because the walk from the carpark is shorter!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Leeniepie, Welcome to snowHead 's
Have a look on Groupon as both were doing lesson packs which were good value and the domes were honouring all vouchers . I ski at both and have to say that when they were open after lockdown MK was quieter, even the car park (make sure you are in the purple parking areas). Snow quality was good in both as reduced numbers. If you can go mid-week during the day it was all was quiet I stay away from weekends so don't know about weekends, it will depend on numbers allowed in. I think it is a good way to get more confidence prior to going away, some others may disagree with me Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hemel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When we have been Hemel has had better snow, and seems a nicer place.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If he’s a new ish skier I’d say he needs lessons, no point in going up and down without knowing what to do having missed two seasons. Some independent practice after lessons does make sense of course but some tuition will help him regain his skiing so much quicker than figuring it out on his own.

I’ve done the odd (development) group at Hemel - they are fairly good to give a bit of focus to a practice session or for a real treat and to improve his skiing I would recommend an Inside Out lesson (when they reopen) at Hemel for a private lesson or improvers course (covid dependent) and video feedback.

When I was looking to get back to skiing and regain confidence some years ago I asked the same question on here - I was given that tip and it really was the best advice!!

I have also skied at MK and slope to slope there’s not much in it I recall.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If taking lessons and completely new I'd say MK as they have the dedicated slope.

Otherwise Hemel - just think it's nicer and snow usually better
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The slope at MK is longer and wider than Hemel, however the snow at Hemel i've tend to find in better quality.

Changing area at MK is bigger overall, whereas Hemel is newer and a bit nicer.

MK has the other stuff there, shops, bars, restaurants etc but you have to pay to park, whereas Hemel the parking is free.

Both have +ve's and -ve's but realistically there's very little in it, so i'd just go for whichever has the shortest journey/ and or is cheapest.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe do your own voucher because the slopes can get cluttered with sick and gnarly 'features' for yoofs (either that, or there is a fly-tipping problem). If this happens, it could pay to switch to the other slope. I haven't found much difference in either.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both are closed till April 12th, a fact that you only discover on the Milton Keynes website when you are deep into trying to book a ticket.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hemel has a trainer slope too but if OP is looking at passes I assumed that her partner is beyond that point and “main slope ready”.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowball, all indoor leisure is closed until then so no great surprise really...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hemel, no real reason although the instructors are amazing....

Please ignore my signature
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with the general comments on the thread, Hemel is just a nicer slope to ski on imo but MK is decent and if you're more into park stuff there tends to usually be a few jumps/pipes etc set up.

Can't wait to get some turns back having of course also had to cancel our trip this year, and last. Booked myself a day pass and a day off work on the first Friday they re-open!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Leenipie
Hiya.
//
Some of the economic factors I considered were:
- how often I might go;
- for how many hours and which months;
- 'membership';
- discounts/deals.
If you think you may go several times, I'd check out 'membership' at both.
I believe this may offer significant benefits at each.
//
At HH, in the past, also:
- you could get a substantial discount if you belong to various snowsporty things, like SH for some of us.
- you could get yourself monthly deals in some months, which did make quite a difference to the costs.
//
Whether that will still continue to be the case at HH in 2021/22, I really couldn't say. Same goes for MK. BTW the parking/charges/yoof factor helped to put me off MK personally.
At HH, the 'freestyle' days, and their pre-math/aftermath, are a bit of a PITA for me.
It stuffs up the slope for us 'normal' skiing folk (who they?), but there we are.
I try to avoid those days at HH if I can.
//
Purely anecdotally, I looked into both a few years back myself, and I took the temperature on here too.
I chose HH, and I haven't regretted it.
Yet.
latest report
@Skimum1, yes but I thought the way it was being discussed might make someone think you could go now. I checked MK and it didn't say it was closed....
latest report
For the optimists, the HH booking system seems to be working for 12th April and beyond.
ski holidays
Fat George wrote:
For the optimists, the HH booking system seems to be working for 12th April and beyond.

Members discount doesn't seem to be working though.
snow report
@anarchicsaltire:
Will we be seeing you there?
Hope so!
The discount does seem to work when I do it.
Maybe give them a call?
ski holidays
@Fat George, plan to do that this morning
snow conditions
@Fat George, Booked 10:00-12:00 Very Happy
snow report
@Linds
Result! Hope to see you there.
Fingers crossed! Smile
FG
snow conditions
Thanks guys, great info! And I am aware they're shut for a few more weeks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy