Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why don't the French do Y-fronts?

Poster: A snowHead
One of the less important, but nevertheless serious (for me) consequences of the pandemic, has been the unfortunate curtailment of the bi-annual grundy-provisioning trip to M&S in uk. The shocking state of one's pre-lockdown undergarments came to a head recently, when Mrs. Shep surreptitiously threw the lot in the poubelle... quelle horreur!

So a desperate scrabble for new shreddies has ensued, and exposed ( Shocked ) the incomprehensible fact that Y-fronts (with the all important "slash-cut") do not exist in France! Now I'm rather partial to the stretchy boxer variety myself, however my research shows the same also applies to so called briefs/slips homme, baggy boxers homme, and even the obscene tanga-slip homme, which Amazon.fr flashed before my eyes unbidden spoo .

So is the Y-front with the oh-so-practical slash-cut regarded as an anglophone perversion, or is a question of form before function? Are our continental brethren prepared to forgo its convenience for the sake of a svelte pouch, or have they just failed to invent it? Perhaps there's some anatomical difference that makes the feature redundant; although I'm sure some of the somewhat frantic fly-furkling at the adjacent urinal which I've been unable to avoid glimpsing in the péage men's room, would be explained by the lack of immediate relief proffered by easy access...

Can anyone cast any light on this cross-channel sartorial divide?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
M&S ship to France. What have you done....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought this was a post by oneglove for a minute there.

Personally, I'm with the French here. I haven't worn Y-fronts since I was a child.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, that's no fun, and anyway we've had to give up buying online from the uk since we took back control, and everyone here is being charged horrendous duty on delivery rolling eyes.

I've gone to the dark side... Just have to remember to allow extra time when caught short Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-03-21 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assumed the response was they preferred Nat Fronts. Insert your Le Pen is jokes here......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@shep, pah, Welcome to Swiss life where every xmas present costs you 25chf if they forget to write gift on it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
But m&s and next are the good guys here, they handle all the import fees, deliver in 3 days and knock the uk VAT off too for us so it can be cheaper than buying in the UK. I shall pray for your future pants Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is something quite weird about Y fronts. No man of my intimate acquaintance has struggled unduly to get his willy out of a pair of briefs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Though I would be the first to admit that this is a small and no doubt unrepresentative sample....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
There is something quite weird about Y fronts. No man of my intimate acquaintance has struggled unduly to get his willy out of a pair of briefs.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
During the war Y fronts were reserved for fighter pilots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@shep, I wonder whether Y-Fronts are just the sort of anachronism that only M&S still stocks. I'm not sure you'd find them anywhere else in the UK. The ones with a diagonal slash, if you'll forgive the pun, rather went out of fashion a couple of decades ago. Feel the breeze and switch to boxers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

Brilliant @pam w, the thread is off in a promising direction... wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@shep, @pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@shep, pah, Welcome to Swiss life where every xmas present costs you 25chf if they forget to write gift on it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
But m&s and next are the good guys here, they handle all the import fees, deliver in 3 days and knock the uk VAT off too for us so it can be cheaper than buying in the UK. I shall pray for your future pants Very Happy

Thanks, I think it was you that put us on to M&S online years ago. We got stung for €78 of duty on an 18 quid parcel, and have been very wary since. My pants will thank you for your blessings! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PORTMAN wrote:
During the war Y fronts were reserved for fighter pilots
Interesting, strangely enough not followed by the marketing success (for the French at least) of the aviator sunglasses or the bomber jacket Toofy Grin
latest report
Go commando, problem solved. Laughing

ps why is this thread in The Piste?
ski holidays
@shep, we were supposed to come down to M at Easter - id have smuggled you some m&s specials over the border, but Mr NN thinks the covid levels are too high.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@shep, I wonder whether Y-Fronts are just the sort of anachronism that only M&S still stocks. I'm not sure you'd find them anywhere else in the UK. The ones with a diagonal slash, if you'll forgive the pun, rather went out of fashion a couple of decades ago. Feel the breeze and switch to boxers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ah yes, I fear you may be right, it is 3.5 decades since I left uk. I have progressed from "slip" to stretchy boxer, but going to fully enclosed coupe rather than cabriolet has always been a step too far wink
latest report
https://www.zalando.fr/ellesse-hali-3-pack-shorty-el982o000-c11.html

Fit the bill, definitely front entry rather than up and over Laughing
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Go commando, problem solved. Laughing

Occasionally by default in my ski-bum days, but it made the bump-runs a tad uncomfortable Shocked

For a little light relief I would suggest...
snow conditions
shep wrote:

Well as you'll know the French word for Y is "i grec", perhaps the French don't like the idea of Greecey underwear..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
https://www.zalando.fr/ellesse-hali-3-pack-shorty-el982o000-c11.html

Fit the bill, definitely front entry rather than up and over Laughing
Lifesaver @Claude B, will order forthwith. I appreciate your contribution the comfort of my undercarriage Madeye-Smiley . Let's hope you don't encourage a rear entry debate... Confused
snow report
The french have fashion police, Y fronts I can imagine would be a horror to them.
snow report
@shep, Laughing Laughing I'm sure there would be something appropriate, not on zalando though.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
shep wrote:

Well as you'll know the French word for Y is "i grec", perhaps the French don't like the idea of Greecey underwear..... Madeye-Smiley
You may be on to something here, I'd be more concerned about connotations of "à la grecque" if I was the marketing guy...
latest report
biddpyat wrote:
The french have fashion police, Y fronts I can imagine would be a horror to them.
I think you may have hit upon the crux of the matter Blush
snow report
shep wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Ah yes, I fear you may be right, it is 3.5 decades since I left uk. I have progressed from "slip" to stretchy boxer, but going to fully enclosed coupe rather than cabriolet has always been a step too far wink

Briefs are invaluable as a young teenager as they control a unwanted roque stiffy much better than boxers.
So I’m told.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
shep wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Briefs are invaluable as a young teenager as they control a unwanted roque stiffy much better than boxers.
So I’m told.

As do granny-pants, allegedly Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand wrote:

Yes, good point. Discussion of a gentleman's apparel for their nether regions should perhaps more appropriately be in the Après Zone. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
pam w wrote:
Though I would be the first to admit that this is a small and no doubt unrepresentative sample....

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@shep, the 1970's called and they want their pants back.
snow conditions
Klamm Franzer wrote:
@shep, the 1970's called and they want their pants back.

Too late, Mrs. shep binned them! wink
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
halfhand wrote:

Yes, good point. Discussion of a gentleman's apparel for their nether regions should perhaps more appropriately be in the Après Zone. Madeye-Smiley

Yup.
snow conditions
I think I know the answer to the OP. Is it because the French are a cultured and civilised folk, and they don't indulge in the deviances sought out by uncouth folk?
ski holidays
The Piste or Apres?

I think it should be in the Equipment forum, personally.

Myself, I have to say I made the switch from M&S cotton to these this year. Remarkably more comfortable.

latest report
under a new name wrote:
The Piste or Apres?

Very good. And a rather fetching red I have to say, to be worn on the outside I would suggest, when you're zip-lining the bumps Cool
ski holidays
shep wrote:
under a new name wrote:
The Piste or Apres?

Very good. And a rather fetching red I have to say, to be worn on the outside I would suggest, when you're zip-lining the bumps Cool

Well if it's good enough for Superman to wear his red underpants on the outside then I guess it's good enough for you too! Toofy Grin

snow report
And WOULDN'T he look silly in Y-fronts?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
And WOULDN'T he look silly in Y-fronts?

@pam w, perhaps Superman would wear Y-Fronts if he were British...... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
You also can't buy Opal Fruits or new Datsuns in France either, it's shocking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy