Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

poping between turns skiing

Poster: A snowHead
i have a habit that i will pop my upper body between turns, should i keep my upper body as stable as i can?
Is the poping a bad habit?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes and yes

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kekekuan wrote:

Yes it's a cardinal sin.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amen to that, say five "hail mary's" and take a cold shower

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Poping is the wrong type of dance you don't wanna be doing that but this.

http://youtube.com/v/V_dTjxvqS84
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DB, quick way to pope an ACL if you ask me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aww, people are being so mean! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:

he could try TGR for a real roasting,

but more seriously, it may be me but I don't have a clue what he's talking about.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
but more seriously, it may be me but I don't have a clue what he's talking about.

Me neither maybe he means something like this ...

http://youtube.com/v/FT_Gf49iv9Y
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What I think he means, is bobbing up and down in a Old School style, as you up unweight to change edge. This is particularly noticeable if doing Short Swing Turns, where you have a hard edge set, that can "pop" you up, as you rebound off the ski.

It was something that I had to work hard on, to remove from my skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
davidof wrote:

thanks, that would tire me out to be honest, I quite like it though. I remember a BASI instructor I skied with did every turn with a little pop of the ground like that. It looked pretty cool back in the day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:
What I think he means, is bobbing up and down in a Old School style, as you up unweight to change edge. This is particularly noticeable if doing Short Swing Turns, where you have a hard edge set, that can "pop" you up, as you rebound off the ski.

ahh be nice to see a video if anyone finds one, maybe the OP has some footage?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogwatch wrote:
kekekuan wrote:

Yes it's a cardinal sin.

Brilliant. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

ahh be nice to see a video if anyone finds one, maybe the OP has some footage?

This guy explains and demonstrates the vertical movement, which makes it easier when learning the short turn (or when on straight skis) ...@40 secs. He then says to drop it, as you get better.

http://youtube.com/v/q1v4gfbhH7U
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hahaha too funny

@dogwatch, @davidof, @DB, Laughing
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Me two as an old skool skier who had to unlearn the pop!
snow report
kitenski wrote:

I thought I was being stylish....while everyone else was falling about laughing. The Pop, the 80s Neon colours, the glacier sunnies and the strange woolly hat, all had to go. I have now been homogenized into drab colours, helmet and large Oakley Goggles....although I did go through my Gaper period. Sad

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-12-17 17:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

This guy explains and demonstrates the vertical movement, which makes it easier when learning the short turn (or when on straight skis) ...@40 secs. He then says to drop it, as you get better.

Thanks for that.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

he could try TGR for a real roasting,...

For the record, I bit my tongue/fingers and, with great difficulty, did not respond.
ski holidays
I used to 'pop' my board between short turns, particularly when I was moving through a crowded piste.

I stopped when another boarder told me, with the scorn that only a teenager can manage, that I rode 'like a skier'. Shocked
latest report
We had a lesson last season with ESF and they were promoting this "pop" on a turn, but for every turn. Not just short, sharp ones.

It really threw me as it seemed forced to do it at times, especially on a wide turn not going particularly fast. It had never been mentioned to us in any lesson in the UK or France before then.
snow report
DB wrote:
davidof wrote:

Was in Obergurgl last Easter skiing with Gerald and he took down a really steep gulley. Gerald's brilliant at short swings and jump turns and...I'm not and will practise more this season. Very Happy
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:
We had a lesson last season with ESF and they were promoting this "pop" on a turn, but for every turn. Not just short, sharp ones.

It really threw me ...

I’ll bet! Laughing
latest report
@Fridge03, did the instructor explain why they wanted you to pop up?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Me three.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
... I have now been homogenized into drab colours, helmet and large Oakley Goggles....although I did go through my Gaper period. Sad

Time for you to go post-modern retro. Pull out the tweed plus fours n thick woolly jumper you use for golf. Preferably with a pipe and aviators! I would in an instant if my skiing was expert level Laughing
ski holidays
Big difference between popping with your upper body, as described in the OP, and using your legs to create a short swing / Speiss Turn / jump turn as demoed by Warren. The former might be a bad habit (although impossible to say without seeing), the latter a useful technique for some situations as well as a great drill for activating your ankle joints (he said with aching ankles...).
snow report
ALQ wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
... I have now been homogenized into drab colours, helmet and large Oakley Goggles....although I did go through my Gaper period. Sad

Time for you to go post-modern retro. Pull out the tweed plus fours n thick woolly jumper you use for golf. Preferably with a pipe and aviators! I would in an instant if my skiing was expert level Laughing

I certainly could do "shabby chic". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, Bognor (not Regis) is the brand for you wink
snow conditions
@ALQ, er, Bogner I think.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, A good spot. But a bit too good. Have you been eyeing the catalogue for your new adventures next year? wink
snow conditions
@ALQ, I must confess to having once owned a Bogner fartbag. It was very stylish and understated, plain navy blue, and I absolutely adored it. Whilst it cost me several limbs, it lasted for at least 20-30 trips, so I reckon on having got my money's worth. I have never owned a warmer or more flattering item of ski apparel before or since.

There was a funny story associated with its purchase. I was skiing in Whistler, wearing a cheap and cheerful fartbag (white with purple and green flashes on the shoulders, I'm sure you know the sort of thing wink ) when I fell in such a way as to rip open the whole of the back of it, from the collar to the bum. I think I must have fallen on a ski somehow. You can imagine the comments I got on the way back to my lodgings. Anyway, it was clear that I would have to purchase something new and the first thing I tried on was the Bogner, which was a perfect fit, including the length of the legs and sleeves - you will realise that that can sometimes be a problem for me. I then pondered whether to trawl round some more shops, in order to find something cheaper, but decided that I would never find anything as smart or well fitting, so bought it. Bread and water for the rest of that holiday! wink

I've just looked at the catalogue. Hideous things at completely crazy prices. Not even slightly tempted.

/thread drift
snow report
I must confess my ignorance Embarassed How are you supposed to unweight into a turn without "raising" your upper body and then pushing down as you come out of the turn? Am I years out of date?
snow conditions
@Hurtle, Laughing excellent story. Would be better with pics!
I’m sure your fartbag looked fabulous and was very fashionable ... in those days wink wink wink (i note you’re not on the B.B. so I’m safe)

Must say, all the snowHead ladies are always very well turned out. It’s the men that need to shape up, including me, but excluding Mr Pink.
ski holidays
@billb, by managing pressure, using the pole plant and retracting the legs, although, in deep, heavy snow, where you have to get the skis out of the snow, a bit of an up movement may still be helpful as, the legs will only retract so much.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Big difference between popping with your upper body, as described in the OP, and using your legs to create a short swing / Speiss Turn / jump turn as demoed by Warren. The former might be a bad habit (although impossible to say without seeing), the latter a useful technique for some situations as well as a great drill for activating your ankle joints (he said with aching ankles...).

Interesting WS videos. Some friends taught me to make short swings (or jump turns?) with the ski tips just lightly still touching the snow; I found it an energy efficient way of coping with steep narrow descents. I shall be having a steeps session with easiski this season - I'll see what she has to say on that.
snow conditions
@billb, modern technique on modern skis generally requires little to no unweighting...
snow report
Have to say I'm quite partial to a few old school poppy short swings at times. Skiing's about what feels good, not just the most efficient way to get down.
snow conditions
@Kelskii, @under a new name, surely, as you turn, you are taking weight off the uphill ski and then increasing weight on the downhill ski. In which case, what is wrong with upper body vertical movement? And, when you say "modern" skis, how many years back can we go e.g. can we include carvers from 10 years ago, say?
snow report
billb wrote:
I must confess my ignorance Embarassed How are you supposed to unweight into a turn without "raising" your upper body and then pushing down as you come out of the turn? Am I years out of date?

A much better/less confusing term than "unweight", is transfer of weight.

Old school unweighting, was usually done by Up Unweighting (but confusingly, there was also Down Unweighting).

One way of describing the changing of edges, without upward movement, is "Flex to release"...ie. Absorb the forces with the knees (like a shock absorber), which minimizes any upward movement.

On Long turns, you can transfer weight, by adding it to the top ski, or removing it from the bottom ski. The former can introduce a "Pop" if you are not subtle and moving forward and across.

On carved short turns, the legs should extend and retract, without upward movement. Great explanation by Darren Turner:

http://youtube.com/v/l5gnnZXoDK0

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-12-17 11:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy