Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for first timer aged 14

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good resort for a 14 year old to learn to ski? My first thought is for Austria so he can practice his German (ha!) and so his parents can enjoy the apres-ski (even though they don't ski), and a place that has non-ski options such as a spa/pool complex and tobogganing. Ideally there'd be a few other british kids his age in ski school.
Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

My first thought is for Austria so he can practice his German (ha!) and so his parents can enjoy the apres-ski (even though they don't ski)

Why not learn to ski? It's fun. And then you can do nach dem Ski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a mate, perhaps - even if there are other British kids in ski school it might be difficult for him to hook up with them after lessons. But yes, all learning to ski would be more fun.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm with @pam w on this. 14-year-olds are incredibly social animals, and whether he enjoys skiing will depend strongly on the company. Plus many other 14-year-olds may quite likely have skiied before, so the chance of meeting someone likeminded in the same ski class are small.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I've tried many times to persuade his parents to try skiing, never succeeded. But if they see their little boy having fun on skis then you never know...

On ski school, I think he'd hate being stuck in a class with a lot of 7 year old first timers. Maybe better to go in with adults if there aren't enough teenager beginners?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@1gunsalute, are his parents determined to go on an alpine holiday, or is this part of a group of other families?

if not, could he not go on a school ski trip, if it is available?

he would be with his schoolmates and the parents could have a child free week, presuming he is an only child!!

IMV that is the main benefit of school ski trips, when the parents have no real interest in skiing.
some of my friends have sent their kids on school trips as they are not bothered about going.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitzbuhel, Bad Gastein (plenty of spa hotels) Ellmau/Soll, Saalbach-Hinterglemm or Schladming.

Use this site to get an idea of the resorts:

https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Kitzbuhel

One of the issues for a 14 year old maybe having to go up from valley to ski area on first day by themselves so a place with low lift beginner area, even if just used for first day a consideration. Kitzbuhel and Soll you've probably got a pretty good chance there will be other Brit kids and ski school will group them together. Spa hotels are quite common in Austria. Resorts are often quite compact. Make sure you're in town and ideally can walk to lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hinterglemm has free tubing and good gradients of slopes. Apres in great too
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

On ski school, I think he'd hate being stuck in a class with a lot of 7 year old first timers. Maybe better to go in with adults if there aren't enough teenager beginners?

My 9 year old was in a beginners class in Austria with 5 year olds. He still liked it, except one day when he was kidnapped by the ski school. He and his older brother came straight back from ski school to our apartment for lunch eah day, but one day the instructor asked him to take one of the little kids back to the ski school - and they wouldn't let him go. I went dashing round trying to find him and eventually went to the ski school where there was a complete breakdown in communication. They were saying he must wait for his parents, and he was telling them we'd never come as we were waiting for him at home. Little English was spoken - it was a long time ago. I had to use my rusty O level German when I rescued the poor lad. He was very unhappy - the instructor was to blame, of course.

Austria would be good if he can do ski school both mornings and afternoons - a keen 14 year-old is likely to want to ski ALL DAY and not go faffing around with his parents in the afternoons. If they can't take a beginner friend with him, to keep him company, it could be a bit of a frustrating week for the lad.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
He could do a course on a dry slope or a fridge beforehand, to avoid being in a class with little beginners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
do a cheapy to Bulgaria.
Parents can wander around the old town, visit the old surrounding area & thermal pools in Banya, visit the local monastery. Eat great food (if you like your meat!).
Have private 1:1 tuition which is cheaper than any a ski school in the alps. So cheap he could take a friend!

Laughable when learning to ski all the usual big name resorts get spewed out. Paying £250 a lift pass & not getting off the bunny slope.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Eat great food (if you like your meat!).

In Bulgaria!!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ellmau (good areas for beginners / real town with things to do and see / kaiserbad leisure centre)
And take a friend
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

The plan will be a joint trip for them and me and mrs 1g, with us being able to supervise post-skischool practice. But then we would aim to carry on for another week of more full-on skiing - which I think rules out Bulgaria. Teen was booked on school trip this easter but obviously that isn't happening - hopefully it will next year but he suggested it would be nice to get a week in at half-term so he is more on a level with some mates who have skied before. The parents are keen to do a winter holiday just for the experience.

Ellmau looks a nice idea, some good non-skiing options and a good place for a beginner. Maybe rather quiet but the lad can go to wilder places when he turns 18 . I've never skied there so will be good for a bit of scenic pootling.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@1gunsalute, hope you get to find a resort to suit all your travelers needs, and your cunning plan to convert your friends into snow sport enthusiasts comes to fruition Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

if I can throw in another suggestion for Austria, what about the Zillertal arena?

you could stay in one of the resorts in the region, such as Mayrhofen or Kaltenbach, with easy access via valley road or train to other resorts for skiing or sightseeing.
we stayed in Fugen a few years ago, and it had a fantastic aqua Centre
snow conditions
Fingers crossed for the school trip next year, they are great fun and the kids learn so much.

His idea of getting some practise in beforehand is a very good one. They always want to ski with their mates, but it doesn't work out if their abilities differ too much. Either the teachers tell them they are in different groups, and they are upset that they can't ski with their mates. Or they let them ski together and the whole group has to keep waiting for the beginner, who ends up over-working to keep up. Even if he does manage to get a bit more experience, he should be prepared that his mates' group isn't necessarily the best group for him and be ready to accept whatever group the instructors put him in. They're only in their groups for 4 or 5 hours a day anyway, so he can still be with his mates the rest of the time (and tell them how amazing his skiing was, even when it wasn't).
snow report
[quote="terrygasson"]Thanks I hadn't considered Zillertal. I'd ruled out Mayrhofen as too beginner-unfriendly, but looking at the piste map, the blue area at Hochfugen looks quite good. Have you skied there?
ski holidays
@1gunsalute, we didn't ski over in hochfugen, but did drive round there and had lunch one day, overlooking the beginner area which looked quite well organized.

we went a few years ago over the xmas holiday, it was a mixture of a city break (salzburg) and ski trip. we stayed in fugen and skied in kaltenbach everyday as fugen's slopes were not due to open up until the day we left resort Crying or Very sad

there was a good nursery slope in fugen with a free magic carpet, my girls used this mainly for tobogganing

there was a large beginner area and plenty of blue slopes in kaltenbach, accessed via the gondolas, with a few nice restaurants up there accessible to pedestrians from the top station.

I will definitely take my daughters back there soon, as we really didn't get to explore all that the area had to offer.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Eat great food (if you like your meat!).

In Bulgaria!!!!

Yes.
Stick to the authentic mehana’s and you wont go far wrong.
Low and slow
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy