Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venice Flights Manchester - Lobby Jet2 Please

Poster: A snowHead
I searched for direct flights from northern England airports to Venice.
I noticed Jet2 offered Manchester to Venice Marco Polo, at weekends, all year EXCEPT Dec to mid Feb.
So I sent Jet2 a question through their website contact page, pointing out snowsports and other demand for flights during those missed weeks in winter.

Their quick and quite encouraging response is pasted below.
Could other snowHeads ask them to put on those flights please? Link below:

https://www.jet2.com/contact-us/havent%20travelled/Question

Q: Could you put flights on from Manchester to Venice to meet high demand from December to mid February?

A: ‘We’re always working behind the scenes to see if new routes are a possibility for us, and this is based on demand from our customers as much as if it makes sense for us operationally. I can’t guarantee that we will be flying to Venice from Manchester in December to February right now, but we are always looking for new options. With that in mind, I’d like to thank you for your comments, which we will take onboard.’
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a thought that Leeds/Bradford might suit you -- However, just had a look, and it is the same thing ; No flights to Verona in Winter...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jet 2 - the skiers airline - not (anymore).

They were great when they started out (we live 10 mikes from LBA and used them loads) now they are just effectively a package airline focused on weekend breaks and hot destinations, and an odd flight at odd times into GVA. We always use MAN which is a shame but they don’t seem interested in winter sports travellers last few years. I’ve emailed them to no avail.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good idea @PeakyB - better to light a candle than curse the darkness Smile
MAN-VCE on Saturdays has been missing from the schedules for too long.
I sent them a message on the form snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, thanks, must admit I’ve never flown from Leeds/Bradford. I know it’s a major hub for Jet2. For one thing I live in the West Midlands. Also, I prefer to use trains when possible, although I drive and have a car.

Birmingham, E. Midlands, Manchester all easily reached by train for me. Luton at a push.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have also asked J2 about winter flights to Venice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leeds/Bradford is closer to me than Manchester, Liverpool and Luton, but it's never come up on any searches for bashes.

which airlines use it, apart from Jet2?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There’s not a cat in Hell’s chance of me flying from Manchester but I’ve used the form to ask Jet2 on your behalf if they’ll schedule that route over Winter Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brianatab wrote:
Leeds/Bradford is closer to me than Manchester, Liverpool and Luton, but it's never come up on any searches for bashes.

which airlines use it, apart from Jet2?

KLM (via Amsterdam)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brianatab, Ryanair use it, but have cut back on their service and the large Tour Operators fly from there (Inghams/TUI)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I could easily use Ryanair from East Midlands, but would only do so as a last resort.

Anyway, sent email to jet2 re winter flights, pointing out how rarely they appear on skyscanner, and usually not with a return option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, thanks for response. To be fair to Jet2, they have a decent offering to a few winter sports airports from 10 different UK airports, only one of which is London (well Stansted anyway).

They've added a few extras from Newcastle and Bristol for winter 21/22. https://www.jet2.com/en/ski

It's just that they don't seem to perceive Venice as a winter sports destination airport. Well snowHeads know different.

So, despite past disappointments, if you get chance, it might be worth a try, as their customer services response suggested they're open to persuasion.

https://www.jet2.com/contact-us/havent%20travelled/Question
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@admin, thanks Very Happy Also the changes to the Easyjet flights to Venice from:

Manchester (previously Friday out, Saturday back.....now Thursday out, Sunday back) and

Liverpool (previously Saturday out and back...now just withdrawn)....

Means that the Midlands and North West is not very well served for winter ski trips, like you know what wink

So there's a gap in that market for the like of Jet2 to fill.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Seahoob, @Red Leon, thanks, the more that Jet2 get the impression it would be a popular route, the better.

There must be at least 10m population living within 50 miles radius of Manchester airport? I believe Venice is quite popular for non-skiers too.

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not just fly to innsbruck?
snow conditions
@brianatab,
Quote:

I could easily use Ryanair from East Midlands, but would only do so as a last resort.

My instincts about Ryanair are the same. I've booked a couple of their dirt cheap return flights as a 'back up insurance' against missing an early morning return flight due to heavy snow causing slow transfer.
Pleased not to have had to use one yet. However, I've booked a one way with them from Chania, Crete to BHX next Autumn. They were so much cheaper and at a more convenient time than other options.
Wish me luck. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, thanks for responding and yes, I could do, and have done in past, when a transfer has been included in a package. But I more often go to Arabba in the Dolomites. I find that an easier transfer from Venice.
Also, Venice is far less likely to be disrupted by heavy snow than Innsbruck. Crossing the Brenner Pass to the Dolomites from Innsbruck has been known to be challenging.
ski holidays
@PeakyB,
ahh,
we hit with the same problem from BRS.
Either fly on the wrong day or dont fly at all!
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, yes, frustrating. I get the impression airlines see the Venice long weekend break market as lucrative.

Maybe there’s more the tourist offices in the Dolomites might do to directly promote Venice’s airports as snowsports gateways?
latest report
@PeakyB,

Ryanair are on sale - but not a weekend flight - out on a Friday & back on a Monday?
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, reflects the long weekend trip thinking I mentioned earlier. Perhaps more to do for Dolomiti tourism offices to give the Venice airports a higher profile as gateways to mountain sports trips?
ski holidays
I sent them an email regarding Leeds/Bradford to Verona, and got the same response

"..pleased to read you enjoy Skiing in the Dolomites.

We’d like to thank you for your suggestion regarding flights from Leeds Bradford to Verona during the Winter season. We’re always looking at new products and destinations to offer our customers and we will be sure to pass on your comments. Keep an eye on our website for any new routes...."
ski holidays
Rumour has it, Jet2 are taking over Thomas Cooks transatlantic flights, Mexico, Florida etc, out of Manchester.
snow conditions
Pity Thos. cook didn't do the Venice route.
latest report
@brianatab, thanks, just to clarify. Jet2 offer the Venice route from Manchester this year. Not convenient days for a week/fortnight long trip but at least something.

But then they drop the route completely for about 10 weeks (Dec 21 to mid Feb 22). A Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday service ought to be viable, from just before Christmas to mid Feb I think.
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Like I said somewhere above i've tried numerous times to engage with Jet2 locally at LBA and in particular around Innsbruck/ GVA flights, however they aren't interested. The message that @albob, received above is standard, ie thanks but no thanks, we'll stick to Faro, Malaga, Barcelona, Nice, Tenerife and Las Palmas with a Prague, Rome and Poznan thrown in at weekends for the stag/ hen trips. They will never understand the ski market, when they first launched at LBA used to do a 06.40 LBA/ GVA on a Thursday with a return Sunday 21.45 GVA/ LBA, ie perfect £150 return flight and 3.5 ski-days long weekend.....that lasted about 2 years and these flights were rammed, then it went to a mid morning Thursday departure and a Sunday late afternoon return, and bump the planes were empty from there on.

I've given up looking. About to build brand new terminal at LBA, so will start looking again in 2023 and see if they need any passengers then beyond Spain/ Portugal/ Canaries and stag/ hen breaks, but they need to sort out rail and road links to it, and this is not likely in a hurry. Perhaps Manchester Jet2 options more likely to be opened up but for now LBA an ongoing missed opportunity for them, me and many others in West/ North Yorkshire will continue to head over to Manchester. Good luck, i'll follow this thread and see how you get on, i've never had any success.
latest report
@Markymark29,
Quote:

i've tried numerous times to engage with Jet2 locally at LBA and in particular around Innsbruck/ GVA flights, however they aren't interested.

Thanks. You may have had more influence then you realise? Next season they're offering direct flights between LBA and GVA on between 3 days per week and 5 days per week (depending on season peaks).
January and March weekend prices seem good value to me. Very Happy
snow report
@PeakyB, nothing new there afraid - they’ve always done GVA flights, however look at the timings, no change....that was my point. Arrive GVA lunchtime Thursday depart 3pm Sunday so not much use for weekend skiing.

Also no Innsbruck, just a Sat/ Sat Salzburg which isn’t any use for Arlberg.

I’ll continue to see the 737’s banking on entry to LBA 300m above my house emblazoned Jet 2 - the skiers airline...if only!

Anyway it’s what it is - I’m going to be driving next few trips anyway.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 11-03-21 8:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:

Thanks. You may have had more influence then you realise? Next season they're offering direct flights between LBA and GVA on between 3 days per week and 5 days per week (depending on season peaks).
January and March weekend prices seem good value to me. Very Happy

They’re not great timings for a weekend unfortunately - we have a place in Morzine which is ideal for max ski/min time off work trips. LBA flight in Jan is Thursday morning 0800, into GVA 11am, possibly a couple of hours skiing, flight back Sunday 1510 so maybe first lift and ski for a couple of hours max (in reality you wouldn’t bother 9 times out if 10). So 2.5 days’ skiing for 2 days off work. Compare with EJ out of MAN (40 mins further drive for us in Skipton) - 1815 out, arrive Morzine before midnight, flight home Monday 2140 so a full day skiing and enough time to shower etc. 3 days skiing, one day off work. And EJ fly every day so easy to extend to a longer weekend. Add in EJ Plus membership (£200 a year) which gets you up front seats, an extra cabin bag and fast track security at MAN and GVA and Jet2 loses its appeal - we love flying from LBA but for weekend trips there’s no contest for us.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, my point exactly, lousy timings
ski holidays
@Markymark29,
Quote:

nothing new there afraid - they’ve always done GVA flights, however look at the timings, no change....that was my point. Arrive GVA lunchtime Thursday depart 3pm Sunday so not much use for weekend skiing.

Oh I didn't realise you only skied long weekends or have a strong preference for the Arlberg. Probably have to get a group together and charter an aircraft to meet such specific preferences.

When I started this thread it was to tell Jet2 there might be good demand for a flight or two a week, at weekends, to facilitate 1 week (or fortnight) long ski trips to the Dolomites via Venice from Manchester from December to mid Feb.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, as above. Is there no benefit in a one way outbound flight with Jet2 and a return with another airline to the nearest airport you can get to, eg Manchester, East Midlands?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, TBH the flights both ways are pretty hopeless from LBA - the 1815 out means i can get an early dart from work at about 3, get to MAN about 4.30 then coming home back to Skippers for midnight ready for work in the morning. Jet2 used to do a Sunday evening flight back, but they seem to be aimed at the week-long market (do they do ski hols? Maybe that’s their focus?) where the time of the flight seems less important as that’s “travel day”. I’d agree they ought to gauge demand for other ski destinations though, and i bet they don’t think of Venice as a winter destination.
snow report
@andy from embsay, fair points, well made. I've no data on how much the 'ski weekend' market might potentially bring in revenue for airlines, compared to the 'week long' blocks of Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun flights.

My gut feeling is that demand for week long trips far outweighs weekends, even if airports all around the UK put on extra capacity to suit long weekenders.

Currently, in late January, for example, to get to/from Venice for a week, people starting from the North or Midlands of England are trekking to/from London Shocked
If we could only avoid that, then longtitude or latitude, my attitude would be gratitude snowHead
ski holidays
@PeakyB, it would be interesting to see how the demand compares - one would assume they’d know! You’d have thought that a weekly manchester flight would make sense as it’s relatively easy to get to from the big population centres in the North and anywhere north or west(ish) of Brum, so they’d get a big pool of passengers. I think EJ gets some business travel on their GVA flight (certainly my brother used it a lot when he worked in CH) hence the daily flight all year round.
snow report
@andy from embsay, yes, I guess they knew...but the past is certainly no reliable predictor of the future, after the pandemic. So I guess they're having to play safer, after the financial battering of the last 12 months.

The business travel market is going to change even more than leisure and tourism I think. Many journeys that were previously percieved as benficial, by those paying for them, will be written off as an unnecessary expense in future.

Only one certainty is there'll be snow on them thar Dolomites' pistes and snow sports fans will go where there's snow, good value and great scenery. MAN-VCE asap please. snowHead
latest report
@andy from embsay, When Jet2 originally opened out of LBA (late 90's/ early 00's) myself and pals used to go LBA to GVA for long weekend Cham trips, travel in ski gear, arrive lunchtime Thursday dump the bags, and ski until last lift, pizza 2-3 beers and then early bed having been up since 3am. Then ski hard Fri/ Sat/ Sunday until 4pm, then cheap minibus transfer back to GVA, and be home for midnight, so 2 days off work and 3.5 days proper skiing. The flights were rammed, and you had to book as soon as they came out. Now, I don't know anyone who does weekend independent trips, we've all gone back to week trips out of Manchester. Looks like a missed opportunity to me.

@PeakyB, We ski 4-5 weeks a year in Arlberg/ Vorarlberg, and i'd be up for 2-3 long weekends as above to Cham/ Morzine etc but if the flights aren't there there's only a finite hioliday allowance and 2 ski days (Fr/ Sat) for 2 days annual leave off work doesn't work for me.

IBK is 1 hour train ride into St Anton, hence my desire for that route, only Easyjet do it, but not good timings or locally, Monarch used to but they went bump, so now we go Swiss late Friday and travel back 9 days later via Zurich or Lufthansa via Munich but it's expensive, hotels each end and 3 hour train both ends. Ironically easier by car (and more Covid proof).
snow report
@Markymark29, thanks, oh I see, the weekend trips were extras on top of the week long ones.

I agree entirely there are missed opportunities for airlines. I often wonder how effective their market research and planning is.

On a general related point, the winter flight schedules remain so London-centric. Maybe that’s where the profit margins are? But whenever I’ve skied I meet more people from the rest of the UK than the south east.

The independently available alpine flights from Birmingham, 2nd biggest city and in the middle of England, with good road/rail connections to London, Manchester, Nottingham, Derby and Bristol, is pitiful.
ski holidays
@PeakyB, they probably make more money travelling to beach and city break destinations. I think it’s more about economics, they can likely charge more for families going on holiday, higher utilisation, coupled with less likely delays due to bad weather. Also weekend city break folks probably take up any slack so they don’t need folks bumbling up with skis and loads of luggage etc....
snow report
The whole northern ski flight availability has slowly tailed off, I think EasyJet Liverpool/Man->GVA were the only really viable ones for weekends when I was last looking pre Covid. Can’t see them adding many new routes until the huge losses sustained are recovered from the sun and stag do brigade.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy