Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Trip Planning 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Haha I’m hoping to avoid that if possible! Starting in Vancouver/Whistler for a few weeks then hopefully find some public transport to get further into the Rockies and explore other resorts. Ski for a good couple of months then take a long distance train and check out some other cities like Toronto and Montreal and then fly home!

Very early stages of planning so please tell me if it sounds daft at a high level or if you know of any useful resources!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds fantastic!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc, Yes I meant "Ice Fishing", I went a few years ago and I was not looking forward to standing around all day freezing on a lake.
it turned out to be probably the most memorable day of my life. Really good.

@Snowsartre, I had a great time for an afternoon on Norquay. I went up there and took advantage of the "Mountain Host" ...
He only had me to take around we had a blast .. it was my first ski of the winter but I was "on form".
Loved it.
Revelstoke is not much bigger than Norquay ... I've only done it for one and half days.
But it was the end of November and had a group lesson to myself and then a racing coach turned up and gave myself and the instructor/host some great tips. But the night life was particularly good as it was the first week of the season and only one bar open late.

@Dave of the Marmottes,
It might not have been called the Dew Drop Inn, but who cares.
Also if you are in the area late in Jan or early in Feb .. send me a PM.

@philwig, You certainly need the windscreen insurance cover on the that highway .. although the speed limit is quite low, the trucks come past you all the time and the grit is always breaking screens.

Note: there is a very dodgy bit of Highway as just east of "Field" between Lake Louise and Golden
I've only been along it a handful of times but I've seen 2 horror stories in the same stretch.
It a long sloping bridge over the river and of course its just sheer black ice.
Your always going to get black ice on the entry to tunnels and on bridges like this.

Don't forget to buy your lift tickets at Cosco near Calgary Airport.

@swskier, Yes it does sound terrible .. I really don't know why I'm bothering. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn wrote:
... You certainly need the windscreen insurance cover on the that highway .. although the speed limit is quite low, the trucks come past you all the time and the grit is always breaking screens.
Each to their own, but if you look at what I said, that's the opposite of my own conclusion, based on rather a lot of intensive research.

There's not a huge amount of actual piste or many lifts at Revelstoke, but those things aren't why people go there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
DrLawn wrote:
... You certainly need the windscreen insurance cover on the that highway .. although the speed limit is quite low, the trucks come past you all the time and the grit is always breaking screens.
Each to their own, but if you look at what I said, that's the opposite of my own conclusion, based on rather a lot of intensive research.

It's a moot point. You NEED insurance that covers damage to the hired car, which would cover the windscreen anyway.

Quote:
There's not a huge amount of actual piste or many lifts at Revelstoke, but those things aren't why people go there.

Both Revelstoke and Norgay are for advanced powder hunters. So if the condition is right, both can be brilliant. But otherwise, both are quite limited.

The same can be said about Kicking Horse too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
.. It's a moot point. You NEED insurance that covers damage to the hired car, which would cover the windscreen anyway.

And earlier...
philwig wrote:
... Care hire - a contentious issue, but ..

abc wrote:
...Not sure why it's contentious.

As you're shouting already you've demonstrated the truth of that one, if not explained it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you suggesting NOT to have insurance to cover damage to the hired car?

Yes, I'm SHOUTING because I've not heard anyone suggesting that prior to this. Nor discussion of the reason either way. I guess I'm shouting my questions!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@abc, No NEED to shout

i) Your knowledge of auto insurance from experience in the US is not necessarily applicable to how it works for residents of other countries especially when it comes to hire cars
ii) As @philwig has often explained he prefers to self-insure where possible on non -ruinous risks. Cost of a windscreen replacement or tyre, which are frequent exclusions from CDW or other "comprehensive" insurance packages are exactly this sort of thing. You could effectively end up paying top up insurance of say $20 per day for something that only costs $200 to replace given the way the rental car industry operates.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Revelstoke is not much bigger than Norquay ...

Revelstoke is way bigger.

Norquay 190 skiable acres
Revelstoke 3121 skiable acres

Revelstokes area is probably a little exaggerated as the bottom is rarely worth skiing, but the difference is still massive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@abc, No NEED to shout

i) Your knowledge of auto insurance from experience in the US is not necessarily applicable to how it works for residents of other countries especially when it comes to hire cars
ii) As @philwig has often explained he prefers to self-insure where possible on non -ruinous risks. Cost of a windscreen replacement or tyre, which are frequent exclusions from CDW or other "comprehensive" insurance packages are exactly this sort of thing. You could effectively end up paying top up insurance of say $20 per day for something that only costs $200 to replace given the way the rental car industry operates.

That’s not how car hire insurance works. Most CDW covers windscreen. (I'm sure there're exceptions though) Never paid attention to tires, which cost next to nothing.

It doesn’t matter which country you’re residents of. It only matters if your own auto insurance covers hire car or not. Some policy do, some don’t. Some people don’t own cars, so they don’t have their own auto insurance. I’ve been in all of the above situations in the past. Anyone whose own auto insurance doesn’t cover hired cars will purchase CDW. Simple as that. Not because of their nationality or residency.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK good nit pick. Let's just say I have never seen a UK car insurance policy that covers hire cars as standard in contrast to what my US friends tell me about their policies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Because each insurance policy is different, it’s dangerous to suggest any kind of across the board do’s and don’t.

I used to own a very reliable Japanese car that’s long time out of the show room. So I stopped carrying collision coverage. The organization (a university) I worked for at the time had a policy of “self insured” for car hires in business travel. Their belief was practically all staffs have collision coverage of their own anyway.

I tested that policy when my hired car hit some road debris and damaged the undercarriage. The cost of the repair was in the thousands. They changed the policy to reimburse staffs who don’t carry collision coverage for their own car to purchase CDW.

It's better to suggest to look into the exact aspect of one's own insurance (or the coverage of CDW) to identify likely area of saving.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @abc, & @Dave of the Marmottes,
The reason I mentioned the windscreen insurance was when I arrived back at Calgary Airport the rental car inspector was about to charge me for a cracked screen. But his mate reminded him I was booked through "Canadian Affair" which had provided me with the full CDW which was a relief.
Screens are being bust all the time on that road.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @abc, & @Dave of the Marmottes,
The reason I mentioned the windscreen insurance was when I arrived back at Calgary Airport the rental car inspector was about to charge me for a cracked screen. But his mate reminded him I was booked through "Canadian Affair" which had provided me with the full CDW which was a relief.
Screens are being bust all the time on that road.

CDW is not an insurance. It's a blanket waiver from all damages. It's actually better than insurance.

If I cracked a windscreen on a hired car, my own insurance will indeed cover the replacement. But I would still have to pay the deductible (excess). Moreover, I would also be stuck with a bill for the time it takes to replace the windscreen, time the car can't be hired out. As far as the hire company is concern, that's money lost. (if you didn't know that, read the fine print the next time you hire a car)

With CDW, you owe nothing! That's why it's so much more expensive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ironic really that someone who is telling us all insurances are different is absolutely certain on telling us all versions of CDW cover absolutely everything......
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ironic really that someone who is telling us all insurances are different is absolutely certain on telling us all versions of CDW cover absolutely everything......

Ironic? Only for those who can't read (or have faulty memory)

abc wrote:
Most CDW covers windscreen. (I'm sure there're exceptions though) Never paid attention to tires, which cost next to nothing.
(posted a few days back)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-08-21 16:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hi All
Just thought it worth mentioning that over the next couple of years they are rebuilding highway 1 into golden, the last dodgy bit that someone mentioned above. This means road closures. Currently this summer , it has only been nights and weekdays and is now just nights I think. But , if trip planning, its worth bearing in mind as its a bit of a pita, but certainly doable, to drive from lake louise to golden the long way round (through 93 and radium). If its closed , I think it brings Panorama into the equation . They have a website with all the closures listed, but suspect they aren't listed for 2022 now. Looking at it, its only extended to end nov at the moment:
https://www.getintobc.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAiHvmjsGMltL7kN_cWC1YvnpvbyoLj9R2D7seZwSrDUhrm5IZZbU5caAmL9EALw_wcB#schedule
ski holidays
PS. I too think windscreens are not standard cover for hire cars in canada
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:
PS. I too think windscreens are not standard cover for hire cars in canada

And if you drive on highway 1 in the winter, the chances of getting a stone chip are quite high - sometimes you can't see the road markings for all the grit put on the road, mix that with a load of big trucks and it's tough on windscreens!
ski holidays
+1 we took a badly damaged on the Coquihalla Highway, courtesy of a lorry spreading stones and grit - somehow we we were not charged by Avis....
ski holidays
Quote:

And if you drive on highway 1 in the winter, the chances of getting a stone chip are quite high - sometimes you can't see the road markings for all the grit put on the road, mix that with a load of big trucks and it's tough on windscreens!

I know I am a true canadian now by looking at my windscreen Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I know I am a true canadian now by looking at my windscreen

That's exactly what my daughter said too Laughing Laughing

'Grit' is somewhat lost in translation, it's more like spreading chuckies on the road.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy