Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss/Austrian Glacier options for a summer/autumn trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Would like to have some options for some time between July and October for a potential glacier trip (and even if not possible this year, then to have options for a regular summer glacier trip). Appreciate that the quality of the snow is a different beast to the winter obviously.

I've heard Switzerland and Austria are both great for glacier skiing. I've seen some videos by a youtuber where he was at Zermatt last year. Looked amazing. On the slopes from 9-12 each day, followed by spending the afternoon in the 25 degree heat hiking around various places.

Do people have any good suggestions?

Is skiing restricted to ~3 hours a day in all of these glaciers?
Which ones are great for having alternative activities to do once you've come down the mountain again each day?
Preferably a place that has a good town/resort where you can go for food/drinks (though I appreciate that side of things will be limited in all places for the foreseeable future)
Any other factors I should be considering?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I go to Hintertux in the summer fairly often, however I do try to go at the end of June (just booked again for late June this year covid allowing), the later you leave it the higher the risk of poor snow. We stay in Mayrhofen which has lots going on and a great vibe in the summer. It has great walking, climbing, cycling, gorge walking, paragliding etc, as well as lots of great bars and restaurants.

Skiing is not restricted to 3 hours, but the snow is at it's best in the morning.

End of July last year.

http://youtube.com/v/pQuHQ7sUnC8

Compare that to June 2018.

http://youtube.com/v/aGZJXMptioU

The piste goes on for another ~mile or so at the bottom of that run and ends up here in the summer.

http://youtube.com/v/zlBAQNcR1PA

Other attractions....

http://youtube.com/v/YsZATyPjsZM
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! I love Hintertux, but I nevr skied after beginning of May! Questions about Hintertux.

1. I guess after 8 May, summer skiing begins. What are opening hours?
2. In terms of lifts, what is working? Is the charlift still working? Last stage of gondola open?
3 .Is there chair assisted bike park in the Zillertall?

Thanks
Ed

http://youtube.com/v/kiaHbPOLiA4
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The gondola is open to the top year round and runs all day, the T bars up to the park are open and sometimes the Kaserer T bars round the other side of the hill are open, the Kaserers were closed this year when we were there but that was probably due it being deserted.

I have not noticed a bike park but you can take bikes on to the gondolas. They are really missing out big time there compared to Saalbach-Hintergelm which really caters for bikers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a track at Zell Am Ziller from the mid station and I think some tougher designed single tracks at Gerlos. I think the other Zillertal tracks are not man made descents.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn’t go with high expectations..Hintertux Glacier is suffering badly from the effects of Global warming Two years ago I went skiing there in July with my daughter and after 2 hours gave up and abandoned our planned skiing totally. The next few days we spent in the Wilde Kaiser Berge hillwalking ..much more fun given the circumstances..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimboS wrote:
I go to Hintertux in the summer fairly often, however I do try to go at the end of June (just booked again for late June this year covid allowing), the later you leave it the higher the risk of poor snow. We stay in Mayrhofen which has lots going on and a great vibe in the summer. It has great walking, climbing, cycling, gorge walking, paragliding etc, as well as lots of great bars and restaurants.

Skiing is not restricted to 3 hours, but the snow is at it's best in the morning.

End of July last year.

http://youtube.com/v/pQuHQ7sUnC8

Compare that to June 2018.

http://youtube.com/v/aGZJXMptioU

The piste goes on for another ~mile or so at the bottom of that run and ends up here in the summer.

http://youtube.com/v/zlBAQNcR1PA

Other attractions....

http://youtube.com/v/YsZATyPjsZM

Thanks for this! Do you know if the snow gets much better later on eg. when Autumn rolls around? June isn't going to be possible for us (for obvious reasons) and July is likely not going to be conducive to travelling either, so perhaps a September/October visit? I assume it can only be better snow, but perhaps the other activities will obviously not be as good (or as warm whilst you're doing them) as summer time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kurz gesagt: in my experience, the best mountain walking in the Wilde Kaiser (as in the Vorarlberg) is usually from late June to mid October: the glacier starts to get reasonable snow for skiing from around early October onwards. However I only visit ‚mid Tirol’ as a tourist as I’m based in the Vorarlberg about 150 km nearer Zurich, so you will get a more informed opinion from members who do live in Tirol. Also I can‘t really comment on other activities..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kurz gesagt: in my experience, the best mountain walking in the Wilde Kaiser (as in the Vorarlberg) is usually from late June to mid October: the glacier starts to get reasonable snow for skiing from around early October onwards. However I only visit ‚mid Tirol’ as a tourist as I’m based in the Vorarlberg about 150 km nearer Zurich, so you will get a more informed opinion from members who do live in Tirol. Also I can‘t really comment on other activities..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be honest, I'd recommend people to approach a summer/autumn trip to the Alps as a summer trip with a possibility of skiing if you're lucky, and if you really want to take the effort and cost. Rather than a summer ski trip with other activities as a second-best. Have a wander 'round one of the tourism websites like MySwitzerland.com and you'll see loads of activity holidays in the mountains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget the 2 french resorts with glacier skiing in the summer. Here, Les Deux Alpes, and Tignes. Great vibe here with loads going on. MTB is big here. Skiing is from 7 to 12.

I'd certainly recommend as early in the summer season as possible, snow can be poor in August. We open something like 3rd weekend in June.

This photo is actually from last October but it's pretty similar early in the summer.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 11-03-21 10:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mountain Surfer, Zermatt is a wonderful place in Summer. Not Summer skied there but the glacier us high so should be reliable. The hiking above Riffelalp with views to the Matterhorn are out of this world and lunch on the terrace at Chez Vrony is fabulous. Not a cheap destination but certainly a memorable one
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mountain Surfer, I think the glaciers gradually get worse over summer until decent snowfall and colder temps come back, which is more like Oct/Nov as a huge generalisation based on webcam watching when I’ve had early season trips booked!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I think the glaciers gradually get worse over summer until decent snowfall and colder temps come back, which is more like Oct/Nov
My experience exactly over the last 30 years.

In summary:
- May, June and first two weeks of July: Excellent snow cover and conditions, with snow softening earlier in the day as the weather warns up.
- From mid July, August & September: Snow cover thinning - may expect pistes running like rivers in hot weather and, on some sunny/lower slopes, you can be skiing the bare ice of the glacier in places. Parts of the glacier can look like a quarry - very grey and bare. Still some decent skiing to be had with an early start.

Having said the above, we have skied fresh snow in late July a couple of times and there can be decent snowfalls from late September. October can be excellent, with winter snow on the glacier.

After a September hiking trip a few years back, we went to Hintertux for a day. The weather had been so hot that we had zero expectations regarding conditions and the glacier appeared very grey and bare.

We were pleasantly surprised though. They'd done a fantastic job of piste maintenance and we had a thoroughly enjoyable day's skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain Surfer wrote:

Thanks for this! Do you know if the snow gets much better later on eg. when Autumn rolls around? June isn't going to be possible for us (for obvious reasons) and July is likely not going to be conducive to travelling either, so perhaps a September/October visit? I assume it can only be better snow, but perhaps the other activities will obviously not be as good (or as warm whilst you're doing them) as summer time.

Generally it gets worse through the summer, then better after - and really only after, as the snow melts down to the rock hard ice - the first Autumn snowfall(s). And that really is a lottery... It's not unusual to get a big dump and a powder in September, and a couple in October, but it's really not something you can count on.

Generally there are much more fun things to do in the mountains than skiing in July/August/September, but if you really want to ski the only halfway reliable way to get good skiing at that time is to watch the forecast and travel at 24-48 hours notice if a dump looks likely.
snow conditions
Quote:
Generally there are much more fun things to do in the mountains than skiing in July/August/September
Whaaat?! Shocked This is Snowheads, not some sun or beach-worshipping forum!

IMO, absolutely nothing beats the sheer joy of some summer turns on a glorious alpine morning (while more 'normal' wink UK holidaymakers tuck into a full English in the Dog & Duck in Benidorm.... Laughing)

And, as has been mentioned, we've always found glacier conditions up to and including July to be rather good Very Happy
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Generally there are much more fun things to do in the mountains than skiing in July/August/September
Whaaat?! Shocked This is Snowheads, not some sun or beach-worshipping forum!

IMO, absolutely nothing beats the sheer joy of some summer turns on a glorious alpine morning (while more 'normal' wink UK holidaymakers tuck into a full English in the Dog & Duck in Benidorm.... Laughing)

And, as has been mentioned, we've always found glacier conditions up to and including July to be rather good Very Happy

You do you, but from mid/end of May onwards I get more joy riding the snowmelt (in my kayak) than watching the snow melt - even more so in August when it's 35°! Kayaking/rafting, biking, hiking, trail running, alpine lake swimming, aperol drinking... For me all still more fun ways to enjoy the mountains in summer than summer skiing. And then the itch for skiing is all the stronger and more satisfying when November rolls back around wink
latest report
Quote:
You do you, but from mid/end of May onwards I get more joy riding the snowmelt (in my kayak) than watching the snow melt - even more so in August when it's 35°!
Fair dos, each to their own!

I suspect it's a different mentality altogether if you live in the Alps and ski on a virtually unlimited basis in winter...But that I'd still love summer skiing if I was fortunate enough to live there Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, probably true! TBH my favourite thing about living in the Alps is just how different the seasons are, and how they all bring their own opportunities.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy