Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski early April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking to try go ski in first half of April. Trying to understand which countries/resorts are most relevant, Covid-wise. Understand France no open until at least March, no idea if they will just stay closed. And need place with likely snow in April. Usually fly to Geneva and ski on French or Italian side. Not living in UK right now. In case that matters. Thx! And apologies if it's been covered before...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
honky2 wrote:
Hi, looking to try go ski in first half of April. Not living in UK right now. In case that matters..

Err.... it might just matter, as it's illegal for us in the UK to travel abroad (or anywhere). Sad

Good luck with your trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will have to be a VERY last minute arrangement, I imagine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Switzerland must be the best bet at the moment, as they're open. As long as you're in a country they're allowing in.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:
honky2 wrote:
Hi, looking to try go ski in first half of April. Not living in UK right now. In case that matters..

Err.... it might just matter, as it's illegal for us in the UK to travel abroad (or anywhere). Sad

They did say they don't reside in the UK
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
honky2 wrote:
Hi, looking to try go ski in first half of April. Trying to understand which countries/resorts are most relevant, Covid-wise. Understand France no open until at least March, no idea if they will just stay closed. And need place with likely snow in April. Usually fly to Geneva and ski on French or Italian side. Not living in UK right now. In case that matters. Thx! And apologies if it's been covered before...

France and Italy closed. Switzerland open, but you'll have to do 10 days quarantine. All this might change by April, but not necessarily for the better.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't see it happening.

But I'd wait until last minute.

Plenty of options should things open up... but I think the chances are slim.

Where would you be travelling from?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pastorius wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
honky2 wrote:

They did say they don't reside in the UK

That's why I said, "It might just matter." wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi there thanks so much for all the replies, as negative and realistic as they are. I'm from London originally but live last number of years in Israel. Had both vaccine already in case that helps. So you guys think even if situation does improve places like France won't open up resorts towards end of season? Switzerland is great but expensive Smile. Saw that Andorra maybe open. No idea what kind of quality skiing it is. Last few years been to Flaine, Avoriaz, La Plagne etc. If it's half way decent may consider. Thanks for the tips. Any other thoughts are welcome.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I live in Les 2 Alpes and it's pretty busy atm due to french holidays despite lifts being closed. Lots of, mainly family, activities being promoted. However all the signs are that once the holidays finish in 2 weeks time that will be it. They'll give up on this winter. They may well continue to maintain one piste and run a lift for ski clubs but that will be it. Could be different but I doubt it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@honky2, I believe Spain is operating lifts?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit random, but Slovenia ski resorts are apparently open and they are (I think) letting people who have been fully vaccinated in without quarantine (was looking at the situation for other reasons but might be useful here!) It may however only be for essential travel, but worth checking.

I've not skied there myself but there are some trip reports if you do a search in here... something different?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First Israel have to open the Airports again, think they plan to open up again on the 6th March. I wouldn't fly anywhere where you have to cross a border (e.g. Munich for Austrian ski resorts). Check wether non-essential travel is permitted, skiers/boarders have been turned back at the airport and borders before. You will probably need your vaccine papers for proof (in English).
There's talk that Austria maybe opening hotels in April but the infection rates are going up not down at the moment so that may not happen. In your position I'd aim for higher (e.g. glacier resorts) esp. if you plan to go after Easter (11.04) - better conditions, more chance the lifts and hotels will be open. In parts of the alps double figures temp wise above 1500m are expected this week. If this warm weather continues I can see most resorts shutting before easter. e.g. even Sölden which is a glacier resort, has already shut.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again people. Whenever I have posted here, overwhelmed by the number and quality of responses, just people who love skiing and wanna help and chat ski.
Anway, I'll have a look at Slovenia as suggested above.
Yes here airport opens March 6th. Will look at glaciers. Just tempted to book an easyJet flight to Geneva, and if it proves too difficult, change to ticket to next winter. I believe there is no change fee. Just trying to understand the exact conditions. If flight cancelled, can get voucher or refund or change. And if I change it, I think it depends whether before or after 14 days before flight. Just assume that if situation does improve, flight ticket prices will rocket up. Dunno, maybe I'm too optimistic / naive.

My parents and sister are in London, haven't seen them for a year! And yet here I am looking into skiing Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
honky2 wrote:
Hi there thanks so much for all the replies, as negative and realistic as they are. I'm from London originally but live last number of years in Israel. Had both vaccine already in case that helps. So you guys think even if situation does improve places like France won't open up resorts towards end of season? Switzerland is great but expensive Smile. Saw that Andorra maybe open. No idea what kind of quality skiing it is. Last few years been to Flaine, Avoriaz, La Plagne etc. If it's half way decent may consider. Thanks for the tips. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Canton Grisons (St Moritz, Davos) has said you can skip quarantine if you've had both jabs. From 1st March shops reopen. From 1st April restaurant terraces reopen, so early April might be a great time to go.
snow report
@honky2, sounds like your situation is way more optimistic than many. In your position I'd probably take a punt on flights too if they are moveable and/or refundable.
snow conditions
OK cool I'll take a look at Davos etc. If i remember correctly that's Zurich, rather than Geneva.
Apols everyone in the UK who haven't been vaccinated yet. Don't mean to make anyone jealous. My folks are both 70+ and just about got their first jab. Crazy.
Thx again
latest report
honky2 wrote:

My parents and sister are in London, haven't seen them for a year! And yet here I am looking into skiing Very Happy

You can't ski via Zoom, however Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
honky2 wrote:

You can't ski via Zoom, however Toofy Grin

Good one! I'll quote you when they complain lol
latest report
@honky2,

Be sure to check the top altitude and planned season closing.
e.g. a quick search reveals Davos is 810m to 2844m and shuts on the 18.04.2021 (if not earlier)

I'd look at all high resorts and see which airport gave me access to the most resorts, otherwise you may end up with a cheap flight ticket to a resort that is shut and have to fork out for a more expensive flight ticket to another resort nearer the time.

https://www.skiresort.info/glacier-ski-resorts/europe/
latest report
Bulgaria is open and there are plenty of foreign tourists at the moment here (mostly from Eastern European countries). You do need a negative PCR upon entry but that's all. April is too late for skiing here though, season is usually over at the end of March in recent years.

Otherwise, you can expect glacier ski zones like Stubai, Passo Stelvio, Hintertux to operate in may/June as the restrictions will probably be lifted by that time.
snow conditions
It's going to be really difficult to call, even today the glacier resorts are running very few lifts

e.g.
Hintertux 4 of 21 (370cm base)
Kaprun 5 of 23
Sölden 0 of 31
Pitzaler glacier 0 of 12 (even with a base of over 400 cm)
Mölltaler glacier 0 of 9
Stubai 0 of 22
Kaunertal 1 or 7 (from 13:00 - 16:00)

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/
snow conditions
@DB, Those stats look like the dying embers of what is in normal times a blazing fire.....it amazes me that people who are travelling from outside a country even think that skiing this season is a realistic option in places like AUT/ FR/ IT/ CH etc, imv it's time to move on and think about other things and leave skiing what there is left of it to the locals, and plan next season........if that happens, great.
ski holidays
@Markymark29,

Yes I'm not sure I would drive 4-6 hours for so few lifts never mind take a plane from Israel and then a transfer from the airport.
Can't see them opening the hotels before easter and risking another spike in the COVID rates. Even if they do open up Austrian hotels in April after easter, the interest is usually in going south to places like Italy for the spring sun and not ski resorts.
snow report
@DB, frequently driven to Arlberg at Easter and have stopped when going down through Bavaria for fuel etc, skis on top of the car. German folks like nothing better than a laugh at the Brits going spring skiing - one guy actually said where’s your kayak and did a paddling motion. Good time of year for being in the sunny mountains and any decent skiing is a bonus not a given imv. Prefer mountain biking tbh at a late Easter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy