Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort reviews - 3 good 1 bad

Poster: A snowHead
Just shamelessly nicked this from the Dolomitey thread

Pithy reviews which summarise ski area using short snappy words or phrases

E.g. re the Dolomites - chilledness, lunchiness...

So for Val Thorens I might say

- Big area
- Vast accessible off piste
- reliable snow cover

Bad

- Wind and cloud can be a bitch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thredbo Australia.

The good.
- Some nice pitchy skiing
- Can ski through snow gums
- atmospheric on hill dining and apres

The not so good.
- watch out for wombats (and clear wet snow)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought this might be the Snowbird 1 star review and campaign.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze D'Oulx

- Decent Ski Area
- Prices very affordable to anyone
- Chilled Apre + can progress quickly if you wish ha!

Bad

- Bottom of home runs can get V Choppy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Gets

Good.
- Absolute beautiful and almost entirely below the tree line and with a proper traditional village (rather than purpose built)
- Really quick transfer time (one hour from Geneva if there’s no traffic)
-It causes loads of arguments on skiing forums

Bad

- it’s position (I.e. low and easy to get to) means unreliable snow early/later in the season and it gets rammed on weekends/holidays

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-02-21 15:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm. The thing is, some folks' claims for their fave resorts could be challenged. Les Gets is an attractive village but much of it is certainly "purpose built". And against what criteria is Les Gets one of the "least expensive" resorts in the French Alps. Just off the top off my head, I'd challenge that. Nowhere so visible on the UK tour operators radar is likely to be that cheap. I grant that it's less obviously "purpose built" than Flaine and cheaper than Val d'Isere. wink

But maybe nit-picking is not in the spirit of the thread???????
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, Yes it's not about mocro detail and nuance it's things which the reviewer perceives generally to be the main features. To be honest to me if all the features are about the charm of the village and the transfer time I can drive to charming country villages near home much easier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll defend Les Gets!
It's definitely a traditional village at the core - unlike VT, Avo or Flaine. That most of it is now new developments is another thing, but tbh they try to keep the charm.

On the other hand we all agree it's clearly not one of the least expensive resorts in the French Alps. If anything it's more on the most expensive list. Not Megève/Courchevel/Val d'Isère, but in the same top 20. You get better value for money in Les Saisies, St Francois Longchamps, Les Karellis, any resort in the Maurienne really (Valfrejus, La Norma, etc.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's definitely a traditional village. Though there has been a massive amount of development recently.

As for expense. That's down to a combination of my own experience and where I've seen it written down in resort comparisons (although I will admit that was mainly talking about Morzine and not the Les Gets side).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@pam w, Yes it's not about mocro detail and nuance it's things which the reviewer perceives generally to be the main features. To be honest to me if all the features are about the charm of the village and the transfer time I can drive to charming country villages near home much easier.

Depends on your needs Dave. If you've got a wife who only wants to be in pretty places and small kids who you don't want to put through a 3 hour transfer on windy roads, then that could be a major consideration.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Saisies

Best snow for miles around

Lots (almost 200kms) of easy/intermediate and very scenic skiing

No British tour operators, very French

But:

Little to challenge adventurous skiers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Les Saisies

Best snow for miles around

Lots (almost 200kms) of easy/intermediate and very scenic skiing

No British tour operators, very French

But:

Little to challenge adventurous skiers

Any ideas if it still get's rammed at half term?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends which week of the French holidays our half term falls in. Yes, Saisies itself can get very busy - much like Les Gets - especially if snow is bad elsewhere and people are bussed in (though this is more liable to happen at New Year, obviously). Can escape to the much quieter slopes of Notre Dame de Bellecombe but, personally, I would never ski in ANY French resort at half term if I could possibly avoid it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I'm trying to find somewhere to go half term 22 (which will be the first half term in 4 years for us). My brother is trying to coax me over to Baquiera Beret next year. Apparently it's empty during half term (he's there now as it happens, lives about 2 hours away from it), but the prices are eye wateringly expensive, especially as the snow conditions don't appear to be anywhere near as nice as the Alps at that time of year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Much as I love it, I honestly wouldn't recommend Les Saisies (or anywhere else in France) at half term. There are some very nice options in the Dolomites. I've always fancied Baquiera Beret, actually!
latest report
@Timmycb5, Italy for half term, we skied from Champoluc and apart from one or two bottlenecks, experienced very little if any queues a few half terms ago.
latest report
Quote:

To be honest to me if all the features are about the charm of the village and the transfer time I can drive to charming country villages near home much easier.

I could say that about a lot of things people find important when looking for where to ski. Restaurants and night life I can get in UK fine so no real interest. I couldn't care how french somewhere felt, or if there happened to be brits there or not (some kind of weird racism?!). On a snowboard trip I'm there to snowboard so only real interest is good terrain (for me that means challenging and ideally avy controlled), snow averages (anywhere can be good or bad on any day but why not improve my odds). Lift infrastructure is a nice bonus, but even that I would sacrifice for terrain. Probably explains why I like kicking horse so much, and others hate it.
snow conditions
Thanks, I'll check it out
snow conditions
Ischgl

Good

Great lift system
High thus snow sure
Great apres

Bad

Home runs too busy in late afternoon
snow report
Les Deux Alpes

Good

+ Reliable snow
+ Big vertical
+ Good off piste

Bad

- Everything else Twisted Evil
latest report
St Moritz:

Good

+ Good snow
+ Interesting and variety of terrain
+ Great cross country skiing network for even more variety

Bad

- Lots of drag lifts.
snow report
@Timmycb5, I don't know Baqueira Beret (had to Google it), but we found when we had no choice about skiing at half term that Switzerland worked out favourably. While it is expensive as a destination, those prices don't seem to rise over UK half term so they are comparable with the prices elsewhere for that week.

(Sorry, diversion from thread topic).
snow report
Trysil:

Good

- beautiful tree lined runs
- excellent and fun instruction
- great hotels, food, wellness

Bad

- very long drag lifts!

(would have added cost to the bad, but it's ok if you take your own booze!)
snow report
Verbier

Good

+ Limitless world class freeride terrain
+ the diversity of people you meet on the mountain
+ Apres-ski in the April sunshine

Bad

- Powder frenzy
snow report
OK one for each continent:

AltaBird:

Good:
+ the snow
+ great access
+ accommodations for any budget

Bad:
- on-piste skiing is surprisingly limited and boring

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis:

Good:
+ huge selection of notably long pistes in excellent condition
+ great kid sections, well separated from the rest of the area
+ Serfaus' unique subway works great and makes it a trick little town

Bad:
- dining scene in Serfaus is pretty lame
snow conditions
Siviez

Good:
+ best location for skiing in 4vallees
+ ski in/ski out
+ quiet in the evening

Bad:
- really, really, really quiet in the evening
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Depends on your needs Dave. If you've got a wife who only wants to be in pretty places and small kids who you don't want to put through a 3 hour transfer on windy roads, then that could be a major consideration.

Oh I don't disagree so in that respect, if I hadn't been to Les Gets, your review would still be useful to me and my needs. I mean I don't actively dislike pretty places and convenient transfers (who does?) just that they aren't major weighting factors for me.
snow conditions
Whistler

Good

- Huge by N American stds
- Awesome in fresh snow
- Bit of a scene

Bad

- Rain/gopping wet alpine snow
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy