Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North American ski areas

Poster: A snowHead
sibhusky, You just trying to keep all the powder thats forecast for this season to yourself ? Toofy Grin

Seriously though, thanks for the info as its on the roadtrip list, and was possibly this coming season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="sibhusky"]@qanuk, Flathead County has a low vaccination rate at the moment.

And we know why.

I'm curious how the lift line behavior was last year at Whitefish. I got around the west pretty well last season and the smaller, more locally-oriented areas had lots of MAGA hats, anti-maskers etc. Muted the fun at times.

You mentioned labor issues. I heard a story on NPR yesterday; it appears all ski areas will be extremely strapped for labor this season and I do not envy those trying to fix it. It sounds like we should all start storing up some patience, and money, for they are gonna have to pay people better if they want to compete.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you mean in regard to mask wearing, generally people were compliant. I'd say during the first half of the Season, the threat of lifties to turn off the chair a few times got people's attention. Plus they pulled passes and tickets a few times. However, once GiantFart removed the mask ordinance, which pretty much corresponded with liftie exhaustion, they started getting sloppy and it was left up to old bats like me in the lift line to enforce things. You would see young guys in line not pull up the mask until it was time to be scanned, then promptly pull it back down. Signs on doors to the locker room and posted around the walls were ignored until someone would make an issue of it. It began to be exhausting not just for the lifties but all the Seniors and Super Seniors trying to stay healthy until their shot. The mindset of the maskless was, "Tough on you, stay home", which it much how I feel about the defiantly unvaccinated hoping there's room in the ICU now.

Last season was my very worst vertical in over 40 seasons of tracking it I just had no interest in going. It was bad enough wearing a mask with fogging and wetness, that's right I hated it too. But I did it. Add all the defiantly stupid interactions (daily) and it was awful. If we were all on the same side, following guidelines together, I think it would be much easier to get through.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 2-10-21 6:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I don't think the US is sounding too attractive at the moment, between the insurgencies and anti-vax thing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
Yeah I don't think the US is sounding too attractive at the moment, between the insurgencies and anti-vax thing.

You could go to Canada instead. It's also in north America.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sibhusky wrote:
If we were all on the same side, following guidelines together, I think it would be much easier to get through.

Motion seconded!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
...You could go to Canada instead. It's also in north America.
Yes, I was specific for a reason.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:

I agree. Though I would say there are places one could go and mostly avoid this particular stuff. I had no issues at Heavenly, Mammoth and Altabird. Issues at Brighton, Bachelor and especially Willamette Pass. Not a huge sample size, but still a couple things pop out just a little bit: lower cost=more issues, and proximity to a major population area=fewer issues. Don't get me wrong: rich city folks can be jerks, too, they just mask up while being one!

So far, just the one insurgency, though you could say that much of the last five years were a slow-moving one. Know what I mean? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed. I shall probably avoid Alberta too, although no doubt some very
irate people will soon point out to me that some very nice people live there too,
which of course is certainly true.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, your comment about Alberta reminded me of a moment maybe three years ago. I had been to Whistler and would say to folks on the chair "I'll trade you straight up, Trump for Trudeau" and they all laughed and said "no chance". Then I went to Lake Louise, and went over to Sunshine for a day. Again I made my comment, and the gal said "TRUDEAU IS A LIGHTWEIGHT!!". And right after that I looked at a sign on the lift tower which read, "Welcome to Alberta". Still cracks me up.

(I bet you were aware of this but for others, that lift crosses the BC/AB boundary, twice IIRC)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As much as I like Canada (going there day after tomorrow), I'm also happy to support any idea that US is dangerous for Brits & Europeans.

Remember last March? It's the visitors from that side of the pond who brought Covid to NYC/Boston! So I'm happier if they don't come streaming in this winter. If the "danger" talk stops some of the folks, it may help just a little... Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
As much as I like Canada (going there day after tomorrow), I'm also happy to support any idea that US is dangerous for Brits & Europeans. .. Wink
As you were so kind as to remind me which continent Canada's in, may I return the favour by pointing out that
"Britain" is in the continent of Europe, making your "Brits" also European.

There are other threads for Trumpism, but clearly the risk to US citizens would be reduced, not increased,
by visitors from countries with lower incidence/ higher vaccination rate/ fewer anti-maskers.

---
"Welcome to Alberta" wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
abc wrote:

There are other threads for Trumpism, but clearly the risk to US citizens would be reduced, not increased,
by visitors from countries with lower incidence/ higher vaccination rate/ fewer anti-maskers.

And I will return your kindness (and continue on the geography lesson trend) by pointing out the low vaccination and high anti-mask rate are in the southern states, which ski resorts are not located. Wink

So to make a positive difference, I whole heartedly endorse eveyrone to go to Florida or Texas for your ski holidays. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
the low vaccination and high anti-mask rate are in the southern states, which ski resorts are not located. Wink

That's the truth but very definitely not the whole truth. Rural areas in western states are just as bad or worse as the South. Idaho borders Canada, not exactly "southern" and their hospitals were full last week and they were sending patients to Washington. And I know why.

If you take a map of the US and plot college degrees on it, the places with high levels of post-secondary education are all doing better, and vice versa.

FYI there is skiing in North Carolina, though nothing to write home about.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course there're always exceptions.
snow report
Might leave Jackson Hole off my 2021/22 visiting list too...
https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccine-tracker
snow report
Washed out roads and train lines in BC. We were going to drive from Vancouver to Kelowna in January. How soon can they rebuild the coquihalla?
The floods are Abbotsford to Hope and up to 5 feet deep. Every main connecting highway in BC is shut.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:

Nah Jackson's probably the most educated town in Wyoming and certainly the place with the most money. Of course that also means extreme right wing asshats as well like the owner who deliberately holds fundraisers involving the maddest of Republican fruitcakes
https://buckrail.com/fallout-at-jhmr-over-jay-kemmerer-hosting-far-right-fundraiser/

Some surprises in the list - like Utah's vax rate high for a pretty right wing state. I guess maybe the Book of Mormon has come out pro vax?
snow report
If I lived in the UK, I would not abandon the alps to come skiing in North America this winter.
ski holidays
@joneski,

Not sure, but I was planning to do that too as I have a trip to Kicking Horse planned for January
Mudslides and flooding will probaly get fixed up fairly swiftly (though fixing up all the flooded houses will likely take quite some time Sad ) On Coquihalla and Highway 1 the damage is fairly extensive and can't see that building new bridges/roads (to withstand the next raging torrent) in the middle of winter is going to be a quick exercise.

Might want to look at the flight options. Since flying to Castlegar isn't really ideal in the winter, for my Red Mtn trip, I might consider going through the US - not because 3 won't likely be fixed, but because all the traffic from 1 and 5 will be on it!
snow report
Wow, the Coq and TCH both shut? That's massive!
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Wow, the Coq and TCH both shut? That's massive!

Massive Coq? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
Coquihalla is shut until summer 2022 due to loss of 5 bridges and several badly damaged stretches of road from landslides.
Not driving from Vancouver this winter!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Nah Jackson's probably the most educated town in Wyoming and certainly the place with the most money. Of course that also means extreme right wing asshats as well like the owner who deliberately holds fundraisers involving the maddest of Republican fruitcakes
https://buckrail.com/fallout-at-jhmr-over-jay-kemmerer-hosting-far-right-fundraiser/

Some surprises in the list - like Utah's vax rate high for a pretty right wing state. I guess maybe the Book of Mormon has come out pro vax?

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-religion-coronavirus-pandemic-f42772097cf7557086f12b549e03b18a

The LDS Elders' push definitely seems to help, but Mormons are pretty suspicious of anything coming out of the federal government. But I would also say that non-Mormon Utahns -- at least the ones I've met -- tend to be pretty rational, not necessarily liberal but often well-educated and generally pretty open-minded.

(side note: I was on a week-long work trip to SLC about 20 years ago, and on our last day we wanted to see the Mormon tabernacle. So we went up to the restaurant on the top floor and one of my colleagues asked for a cup of coffee. He actually had no idea. That would be like going to a state dinner with Narendra Modi and asking for a hamburger.)
snow report
Yeah I asked my near-SLC ski buddies and their response:
Quote:
yes, the church did tell its members to wear masks and get vaccinated.
Shows you how their power is diminishing; 30 years ago, if they said that, they’d all been vaccinated by last June.

Vancouver...
99/Duffey Lake - blocked by mudslides.
Coquihalla - bridges gone in several places
Trans-Canada - under water in the Fraser Valley, bridge and road washes out south of Lytton
Highway 3 - blocked by mudslides and flooding in Princeton.

I'm supposed to fly over that lot, but then there's always the weather which may have other plans,
and AC were already dicking around with those internal flights. Other routings are available.
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
@joneski,
. Since flying to Castlegar isn't really ideal in the winter

Isn't really ideal is quite a big understatement! I've been stuck days waiting for that flight, it's just so unreliable with the cloud restrictions at castlegar airport. Definitely more reliable to fly into Spokane and drive although I don't know how much hassle that is with covid restrictions.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@joneski,
. Since flying to Castlegar isn't really ideal in the winter

Isn't really ideal is quite a big understatement! I've been stuck days waiting for that flight, it's just so unreliable with the cloud restrictions at castlegar airport. Definitely more reliable to fly into Spokane and drive although I don't know how much hassle that is with covid restrictions.

Amazingly, when we did fly to Castlegar in the winter (didn't know about its reputation beforehand!), we got in and out as scheduled, though the flights were cancelled all week beforehand.

Unfortunately flying to Spokane from Vancouver is a bit of a PITA because you have to go via Seattle, at which point you might as well drive to Seattle, at which point you might as well drive to Rossland via Spokane - which according to Google maps isn't that much longer timewise, despite the considerably longer distance Madeye-Smiley I have a Nexus card which speeds things up at the border, but unfortunately I'm the only one in our family that does, so not much use for the upcoming trip
New 72 hour test exemption thing makes the COVID issues a bit more straightforward, but I think CBSA had just dropped those anyway on an emergency basis to help with the BC travel issues, though I think i5 is/was also blocked and Sumas is under water Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

The LDS Elders' push definitely seems to help, but Mormons are pretty suspicious of anything coming out of the federal government. But I would also say that non-Mormon Utahns -- at least the ones I've met -- tend to be pretty rational, not necessarily liberal but often well-educated and generally pretty open-minded.

I met someone from SLC at an in person conference last week. It was at the pre banquet drinks and he asked me if I had come along for a visit with the guy I was talking too. (I am female) . It was his automatic assumption that any female at an engineering conference was not there for anything other than the scenery (it was in Banff). I was pretty gob smacked he actually said it.

Anyway, enough of this Alberta knocking Madeye-Smiley . We are not all right wing crazies oil boys and we get a bad rap for what is now the minority. Look at our mayoral history in Calgary. Anyway, this year all the albertan resorts except Lake Louise are requiring proof of vaccination, so, hopefully, the right wing crazies won't be there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pasigal, I took a tour of the Temple many years ago (at least the bits the muggles are allowed to see). The tour guides were a couple of the most stunning girls I'd ever seen in my life in what was a clear honeytrap. Nevertheless I resisted and passed on a friend's name when asked to leave contact details for follow up wink
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Pasigal, I took a tour of the Temple many years ago (at least the bits the muggles are allowed to see). The tour guides were a couple of the most stunning girls I'd ever seen in my life in what was a clear honeytrap. Nevertheless I resisted and passed on a friend's name when asked to leave contact details for follow up wink

"clear honeytrap" Brilliant! I assume they were trying to get you to join the LDS..."all this can be yours" etc.

Le Carre is smiling down on you right now.
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:
... I was pretty gob smacked he actually said it...
Wow, that is pretty Neanderthal. Not something I've ever actually seen but no doubt some people like that still exist.

My SLC snow mates ski a lot... She's a CEO of a major US corporate with a G5.
He has a couple of degrees too, but is a "house husband" because her career takes precedence for financial reasons.
The locals find it completely incomprehensible.

gryphea wrote:
... this year all the albertan resorts except Lake Louise are requiring proof of vaccination, so, hopefully, the right wing crazies won't be there.

But I have sadly met a few of the crazies, and it's excellent to know that they're not going to be where I will be.
I guess the sledders will be undeterred though.
snow report
We lived in Creston BC for a little while. A lot of the polygamist Mormons ended up there when Utah joined the states.
Pretty horrible situation tons of poverty, all the women wearing second hand clothes and alot of male kids went missing.
Ugly.
The non polygamist Mormons made good neighbors though!
snow conditions
philwig wrote:

My SLC snow mates ski a lot... She's a CEO of a major US corporate with a G5.
He has a couple of degrees too, but is a "house husband" because her career takes precedence for financial reasons.
The locals find it completely incomprehensible.

Hmmm.... this reminds me I should check in with my former co-worker who moved to SLC. She's the breadwinner of the family (software engineer). Her husband enjoys mountain biking (and working on bikes) Smile He works in a bike shop making minimum wage. I wonder how their social life is like Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy