Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North American ski areas

Poster: A snowHead
sweaman22 wrote:

I ski most weekends from Calgary and I'd say I get ~3 resort powder days a year. (I'd consider 20+cm overnight to be a true powder day with the associated line ups...)

I'm genuinely stunned. I would expect a far greater powder return than that! Shocked

We once went cat skiing near Silver Star (BC) and, on the trip, had a good chat with two local lads who had season passes for Silver Star. Incredibly, they said they had become spoiled - and refused to get out of bed to ski unless it was a powder day! Seemed like they got a lot more than 3 powder days per season...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah but skiing fixed days - skiing weekends in a 13 week main season means 26 days so 3/26 = 11.5% chance of powder on a given day. Feels about right anything higher than 15% would be pretty exceptional long run.

I think the most dedicated local would count a season as all time if they got 30 powder days or more under a 20cm/8 inch definition remembering you could have a 50 cm storm cycle but spread over 3 days that might only be one "powder day".

When it snows can be as important as how much. I've skied a number of days when its been putting down at around 5+cm an hour in the daytime but then the storm blows through and the overnight increment is pretty disappointing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

sweaman22 wrote:

I ski most weekends from Calgary and I'd say I get ~3 resort powder days a year. (I'd consider 20+cm overnight to be a true powder day with the associated line ups...)

I'm genuinely stunned. I would expect a far greater powder return than that!

1) This is the Alberta Rockies in general and we get a lot less snow than BC.
2) This is indeed skiing fixed days so limited flexibility to drop everything and shred.

For example a storm came across BC a week ago. It dropped almost 1.5m of snow on the Monashees and ~30cm at Lake Louise on a Tuesday..... so no good for those of use working Mon-Fri.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
What's your definition of "proper powder day"?
As the originator of this issue, and the one who mentioned I have rarely skied resort powder days in the US, I can confirm that I am most certainly not picky in terms of what I regard as a powder day Laughing

I would define this as when, at opening of the ski lifts, there are fresh tracks to be skied either:
- On ungroomed trails; or
- On easily-accessed off-piste areas, next to or between trails.

I haven't thought about snow depth - but deep enough to produce the floating/bottomless sensation is always nice.

I'm certainly not discounting days where there was less than knee deep fresh snow - I am just making the point that, my experience of skiing Colorado and Utah (25 - 30 days in January of various years) has been virtually no fresh snow at all. Groomers R us! I have never encountered any massive snowfalls, or had issues with blocked roads or travel problems, like I have had in Europe and Canada.

Just the way it is - in the lap of the gods, as ever.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bergmeister I suspect their threshold for what was a powder day was fairly low. There's just not as many powder days as people think. Whistler probably gets more snow than anywhere else in Canada and number of 20cm+ days per season:

20/21 - 7 (so far)
19/20 - 11
18/19 -15
17/18 - 9

Most years the resort is open about 150 days, so somewhere between 5-10% of days are powder days, which sounds about right to me.

So sweaman is doing pretty well getting 3 powder days per season while working full time.

This is all resort skiing though. Once you get touring, even just in resort slack country it's pretty much unlimited powder.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

experience of skiing Colorado and Utah (25 - 30 days in January of various years) has been virtually no fresh snow at all.

I always had the impression Colorado didn't get many big dumps, it was the combination of lots of small accumulations and cold temps that kept the snow good.

In the last 5 januarys Alta has only recorded 4 20cm+ days, and 3 of them were in 2019. I was surprised at that, I guess the Utah ski board is doing a good job with their advertising. Just goes to show that powder days are pretty rare. Perhaps our expectations are too high.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
What's your definition of "proper powder day"?

my experience of skiing Colorado and Utah (25 - 30 days in January of various years) has been virtually no fresh snow at all. Groomers R us! I have never encountered any massive snowfalls, or had issues with blocked roads or travel problems, like I have had in Europe and Canada.

I have to say you've been incredibly unlucky.

I ski fewer days than you most years. Yet, I can easily remember more than 5 days of your definition of powder days.

-- I remembered being stuck in canyon traffic at Utah twice.
-- 2 or 3 "proper powder days" in Utah
-- Probably 2-3 of the same at Colorado. (I ski at Colorado a lot. So it's hard to remember days when it's only 10-15cm vs days that are 20cm+)
-- 1 in Whistler.

And numerous days when the resort only reports ~10cm at base, but we found knee deep powder in some part of the mountain.

Quote:
I would define this as when, at opening of the ski lifts, there are fresh tracks to be skied either:
- On ungroomed trails; or
- On easily-accessed off-piste areas, next to or between trails.

In a lot of American west mountains, there're sectors of mountain that are entirely ungroomed yet is easy to access -- no hiking, just some traversing (Spalding@Copper or East Wall of A-basin comes to mind as examples). You can have your own fresh lines even though you may not be the first one to have arrived there.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 2-03-21 16:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget that there's powder and there's fresh untracked snow, and they are not the same. Also, that what the new snow falls on matters. 4" of blower pow over ice just hides the risks, but 4" of cement bonds nicely and is skiable. Change 'em both to 14" and it flips. By my definition, only the 14" of pow is a powder day, the others are fresh snow days.

Real powder days are obvious. Your usual early bird parking space is already taken. The lift lines are massive because the locals are out. Ecstasy loves company.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny Jones wrote:
@Fridge03,
Are you willing to go to a lesser-known resort? The best ski trip I've ever had in North America was to Fernie: incredible terrain and epic snow. I will be back next winter, but accommodation on the hill is limited.

Jonny, can I just pick you up on this. There is a load of on-slope accommodation at Fernie. Apart from private rental lodges and chalets, there are the following hotels: Slopeside Lodge, Lizard Creek Lodge, Snow Creek Lodge, Timberline Lodges, Alpine Lodge, the Griz Inn and the Cornerstone Lodge.

On my two trips to Fernie, I stayed more towards town and, quite frankly, wished I hadn't and had booked one of the above!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

4" of blower pow over ice just hides the risks

When it's less than 5" over ice, head to the green trails. No risk there.

The side of the trail often have more than twice the snow depth because snow got pushed there. Moreover, you can float over the powder without touching the hard bottom by making small wiggly turns (or just straight line it).

Sierra cement/Cascade concrete don't count as "powder". Still, I've had skied real powder in Tahoe, even though that's less frequent than the cement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions lots to take on and read up on!

That's half the fun; planning a ski trip!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Real powder days are obvious. Your usual early bird parking space is already taken. The lift lines are massive because the locals are out. Ecstasy loves company.

Check and check....

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boarder2020 wrote:
@bergmeister I suspect their threshold for what was a powder day was fairly low. There's just not as many powder days as people think. Whistler probably gets more snow than anywhere else in Canada and number of 20cm+ days per season:

20/21 - 7 (so far)
19/20 - 11
18/19 -15
17/18 - 9

Most years the resort is open about 150 days, so somewhere between 5-10% of days are powder days, which sounds about right to me.

So sweaman is doing pretty well getting 3 powder days per season while working full time.

This is all resort skiing though. Once you get touring, even just in resort slack country it's pretty much unlimited powder.

This season has been interesting to say the least. I had 6 powder days of 20cm or more before the lifts started spinning with the touring option. So, agree with you there on the touring option. But the usual safe options for touring get tracked out really, really quick these days. It's amazing how many people are touring. It's not a 8% or 15% increase. It's not even 100% increase. It's more like 300% increase in people touring. You might have seen 30 or 40 vehicles in the sno park lots in years past. Now they are completely overflowing or you see 200 vehicles in the ski resort parking lots instead of the 40-50 vehciles you might otherwise have seen.

But I have skied a lot of 18cm-19cm days. I honestly can't tell the difference between 18cm and 20cm's. But I can tell the difference between 20cm and 30cm days, which I have had a few of this season! wink

FWIW this is what 19cm looks like from what the resort was reporting last week. So technically to most this was not a powder day. Glad most people stayed home and I shredded untracked all day with no lift lines. I'm quite happy for the masses to stay home until the snowstake hits 20cm's. Laughing

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sweaman22 wrote:
Quote:

Check and check....

Didnt think Kimberley ever got that busy Toofy Grin
But then its the only access lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I honestly can't tell the difference between 18cm and 20cm's.

I don't think anyone is saying 20cm is significantly better (or even noticeably different) to 18cm. There are a big number of variables in play, I'm sure we've all had days where the actual snow depth does not directly correlate with how it feels ("this 10cm is skiing like 25 with all the wind transfer".

There just has to be some simple arbitrary cut off number to simplify things.

Quote:

But the usual safe options for touring get tracked out really, really quick these days.

Guess it depends where you are. My friends in Canada are reporting Rogers pass, kicking horse slack, and ice fields parkway are same as normal (I.e. plenty of fresh lines, at worst you are going to be riding through a couple of tracks but nothimg resembling tracked out or moguls). I suspect in Europe where lifts aren't spinning there is a big increase in tourers.
snow report
Good eyes on Kimberley - That's what happens when you get 40cm on Family day long weekend....... so yes it is an extreme case but... You should have seen the line for the diesel powered triple...

I've toured a few times on Icefields this year and it's definitely a bit busier (can't comment on Rogers Pass) but it certainly doesn't feel like everyone's on top of each other either. I went out on Sunday and got 4 laps in a well known spot - there were a couple of other parties and we crossed some tracks at the end of the day but I was pleasantly surprised as the last snowfall was on Thursday so plenty of time for others to get there first.
snow conditions
sweaman22, Toofy Grin We dropped in for a days skiing enroute, stayed in the condos in your pic. Madeye-Smiley

It ws like a graveyard there, and apparently their best season for a number of years, according to a local.
latest report
I've done seasons at Whitefish Mountain Resort, Montana; Keystone, Colorado; Park City, Utah; and north of the border, Kicking Horse in BC and each of those seasons (7) I had at least 30 boot top or deeper powder days.
ski holidays
This is about the final word on powder day probability although measured at 6 inch/15 cm.

https://bestsnow.net/

Suggests you were getting very lucky to have that many 12 inch days each season.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
This is about the final word on powder day probability although measured at 6 inch/15 cm.

Suggests you were getting very lucky to have that many 12 inch days each season.

Boot top or deeper (> 12 inches) days not necessarily falling from the sky. The less visited resorts have powder for days if you know them well.

And you just have to know which days to pick skiing which area. Huge variation of snowfall in places like Colorado and Utah in a relatively small geographical area - approx 1hr radius of where you call 'home'.

Same goes for Hokkaido.

For example, Niseko got 10-15cm across its four base areas last night. Kiroro, 50 mins away, got 60cm.
snow report
Quote:

I'd agree. I've done 2 seasons at kicking horse and had less than 30 powder days total. I'd say around 10 per season is normal ime, which correlates pretty well with the bestsnow numbers. I mean you can find boot deep areas days after a storm, particularly if openings of areas are staggered and you know where to look - but I wouldn't call that a powder day.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I'd agree. I've done 2 seasons at kicking horse and had less than 30 powder days total. I'd say around 10 per season is normal ime, which correlates pretty well with the bestsnow numbers. I mean you can find boot deep areas days after a storm, particularly if openings of areas are staggered and you know where to look - but I wouldn't call that a powder day.

As others have written earlier there are different takes on what constitutes a powder day.

If I'm skiing untracked boot top or deeper snow regardless if it's minutes old or days old, I'm skiing powder.

And I'm very lucky.

I've had 4 boot top days in Wales this winter Smile
latest report
[/quote]
I've had 4 boot top days in Wales this winter Smile[/quote]

In sheep 5h1 t? Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

I've had 4 boot top days in Wales this winter Smile[/quote]

In sheep 5h1 t? Puzzled Toofy Grin[/quote]

Something like that Wink
snow conditions
Very interesting thread and comments. I am also planning a NA trip but with a slight difference. I will not be seeking hard gnarly pistes or powder but rather the easy pistes ie European easy blue and red standard and will be using the trip as a chance to combine skiing and sightseeing over a 3 to 4 week period. In view of this I would be interested in any recommendations for NA resorts that meet this criteria (either east or west coast) and best airport hubs
snow report
That's an extremely broad request!
All I can say is I wouldn't bother booking specifically to go skiing on the East Coast, the snow is relatively unreliable. So take your pick of West Coast. What month, as January and April can be quite different.
snow report
It depends what type of sightseeing you want. In general I think a lot of the hubs (Denver, SLC etc.), while completely pleasant, are also not particularly interesting for tourists - even Vancouver is a bit meh especially in winter when it can be very wet and grey. If you are looking for nice cities (museums, history, culture, food etc.) and cruisy skiing EU has NA beat. If by sightseeing you mean more outdoor landscape and national park kind of things then n America.

My first suggestion would be to fly via NYC which is a fantastic city and worth a few days stopover for sightseeing. From there fly out west (skiing is just not reliable enough east).

With 3 or 4 weeks rental car and a road trip style holiday probably makes sense. Some kind of Tahoe - California - las Vegas trip is the thing that springs to mind most.

You probably need to provide a lot more info though to get some good suggestions. It really depends what kind of sightseeing you want.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Boot top or deeper (> 12 inches) days not necessarily falling from the sky. The less visited resorts have powder for days if you know them well.

And you just have to know which days to pick skiing which area. Huge variation of snowfall in places like Colorado and Utah in a relatively small geographical area - approx 1hr radius of where you call 'home'.

I quite agree with that. I don't think I have that many "proper" powder days, defined as the day the snow falls on the same day and depth is over 8" (my personal definition of "proper powder"). But I've had many more days where I got to ski lots of fresh lines with over 8" of undisturbed snow.

Sometimes, it takes a long traverse. Other times, it maybe to navigate through some obstacles (slide over rocks with little snow cover). Or it maybe through glades where I may cross other tracks but nonetheless I ski largely undisturbed snow...

Or sometimes, being at the right mountain several days after a storm:
Quote:
Same goes for Hokkaido.

For example, Niseko got 10-15cm across its four base areas last night. Kiroro, 50 mins away, got 60cm.

I got lucky in Hokkaido. Was only there for a week. 1 "proper" powder days. 2 more days, with boot top powder in the woods despite the last snow fall was like 3 days prior. Right next to the groomer, underneath the lift, but no one bother to ski it (I'm told Japanese skiers don't go into the woods?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020
Quote:

With 3 or 4 weeks rental car and a road trip style holiday probably makes sense. Some kind of Tahoe - California - las Vegas trip is the thing that springs to mind most.

You probably need to provide a lot more info though to get some good suggestions. It really depends what kind of sightseeing you want.

As previously mentioned I would be interested in resorts with the equivalent of european standard easy blue and red runs. Would then plan to fit in sightseeing etc around these resorts. Open to both east and west coast as there are several cities I would also like to visit.

Would also be open to hiring a car for a short period but not a long road trip, would prefer to fly / train or coach between destinations
latest report
nahdendee wrote:
@boarder2020
Quote:

As previously mentioned I would be interested in resorts with the equivalent of european standard easy blue and red runs. Would then plan to fit in sightseeing etc around these resorts. Open to both east and west coast as there are several cities I would also like to visit.

Would also be open to hiring a car for a short period but not a long road trip, would prefer to fly / train or coach between destinations

Sightseeing as in see the Grand Canyon, or see Disney Land in Anaheim, CA?

For skiing easy blues and reds to Euro standards, Breckenridge, Steamboat and Snowmass in CO fit that bill. Or the ski resorts of Park City, UT (Deer Valley, The Canyons and PCMR)

You may consider Tahoe ski areas as well, Heavenly, Alpine Meadows and Northstar.

For simplicity's sake - Fly into DEN or SLC, then fly to the other. Spend a week in each location if that's what you might be looking for.

If you are feeling really adventurous. Fly into Vancouver, BC, ski Whistler-Blackcomb. Rent a car, cross the border, ski Mt Baker, then head South to Stevens Pass, WA. Hit that up for a day. Stay in kitschy Leavenworth, WA for a night and enjoy some faux Bavarian vibes and beers. Then head to Seattle and enjoy some outstanding seafood and the sights and sounds of Puget Sound. Then take the 90 minute drive to Crystal, WA for some turns. Then head to Portland, OR. Do a day at Timberline, and a day at Mt Hood Meadows. Night ski at Ski Bowl to really get your ski fix. (Stay at Gov't Camp) Then head South and East on Hwy 26 to Bend, OR. Ski Mt Bachelor for a day or two. Enjoy some burgers and brews at one of a dozen or so micro-brew pubs in Bend. Then drive South all the way to Reno/Tahoe and ski a few of the Tahoe ski areas. Gamble or take in a show in Reno and then hit up San Fran before flying home.
latest report
Toadman wrote:
nahdendee wrote:
@boarder2020
Quote:

Sightseeing as in see the Grand Canyon, or see Disney Land in Anaheim, CA?

For skiing easy blues and reds to Euro standards, Breckenridge, Steamboat and Snowmass in CO fit that bill. Or the ski resorts of Park City, UT (Deer Valley, The Canyons and PCMR)

You may consider Tahoe ski areas as well, Heavenly, Alpine Meadows and Northstar.

For simplicity's sake - Fly into DEN or SLC, then fly to the other. Spend a week in each location if that's what you might be looking for.

If you are feeling really adventurous. Fly into Vancouver, BC, ski Whistler-Blackcomb. Rent a car, cross the border, ski Mt Baker, then head South to Stevens Pass, WA. Hit that up for a day. Stay in kitschy Leavenworth, WA for a night and enjoy some faux Bavarian vibes and beers. Then head to Seattle and enjoy some outstanding seafood and the sights and sounds of Puget Sound. Then take the 90 minute drive to Crystal, WA for some turns. Then head to Portland, OR. Do a day at Timberline, and a day at Mt Hood Meadows. Night ski at Ski Bowl to really get your ski fix. (Stay at Gov't Camp) Then head South and East on Hwy 26 to Bend, OR. Ski Mt Bachelor for a day or two. Enjoy some burgers and brews at one of a dozen or so micro-brew pubs in Bend. Then drive South all the way to Reno/Tahoe and ski a few of the Tahoe ski areas. Gamble or take in a show in Reno and then hit up San Fran before flying home.

@Toadman, wow, what a fantastic reply. Exactly the type of information I was looking for so many thanks. I am potentially planning this trip between February and April 2022

Could you also please advise on NA accommodation ie hotels or motels of say european 3 star standard and is it mostly room only or do some also include breakfast,and do they need to be booked in advance or can you just turn up on the day.
snow report
Whilst Baker is stunningly beautiful it doesn't fit your brief of easy blue and red runs.

Shasta for a day?
snow conditions
Even a motel 6 would include breakfast.
snow conditions
nahdendee, Most US hotels offer a buffet breakfast, you'll get something reasonable in the type of hotel you're considering. You can just roll up on the day at most places, however you arent guaranted. I've been in hotel lobbies where folks have been turned away. In this instance you try somewhere else.

We rolled in to Kelowna one trip, and tried 3 hotels all full - at the Holiday Inn - full, I asked if there was anywhere else to try. They then offered us a full suite for the same normal room rate Madeye-Smiley Shame we were only there one night. That trip we only booked the first and last nights accommodation.
snow report
Bones wrote:
nahdendee, Most US hotels offer a buffet breakfast, you'll get something reasonable in the type of hotel you're considering. You can just roll up on the day at most places, however you arent guaranted. I've been in hotel lobbies where folks have been turned away. In this instance you try somewhere else.

You can get a room at most places most of the time, except where you want to!

Try Frisco on President's week, mid-week. Or Steamboat in late December. Or Winter Park any Saturday...
ski holidays
If you are planning on buying an Epic pass, you might want to read this thread first:

Epic Pass Refund - has anyone claimed theirs yet?

I would buy my ski passes in a different way
latest report
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I've just joined and its the 1st thing I came across that I can contribute to.

I spent 3 seasons in Banff from '08 to '11. I personally love the place. Aside from the skiing, the town has to be 1 of the most charming and relaxing places I have ever been. Not to mention the scenery. Some great restaurants too. Some important points about the area as a ski destination:
- Consider skiing weekdays and resting on weekends. The crowds are driven by locals driving in for the day or weekend stay, hardly at all by tourists. Even in great conditions, there will be virtually no queueing and often very few people at all
- 3 main ski resorts, all are a drive to get to either via the free buses or rental car. Norquay 15mins, Sunshine 20mins and Lake Louise 40mins. Obviously these times go up in bad weather
- Norquay is by far the closest, about 15 mins by car, but also by far the smallest and gets the least snow. It relies heavily on artificial snow in my opinion. It's a good place to have lessons
- Lake Louise is the largest ski area. Some great terrain for all but the most adventurous skier. Particularly strong for intermediates. Again relies quite a bit on artificial snow, particularly in the 1st couple of months of the season and on the front side. This, combined with the cold, can lead to hard, swept pistes often on the front side particularly on the busier routes
- It can be cold, really cold! I'm pretty sure that all the resorts have a -30C limit and close below that. It's triggered for a few days most winters. Having said that, the really cold snaps don't tend to last for more than a few days
- Incredible snow reliability. It doesn't snow at lot compared to some North American rivals, so if you're looking for bottomless powders days, I'd say look elsewhere. Sunshine has the best overall snow record, the entire mountain is all natural snow (only the village area is filled in with artificial). But what does fall is very light and dry and stays for what seems forever in really great condition
- Snow wise, it starts falling around end of Sept in the upper elevations. The 2 big resorts will open early/mid Nov. Jan and some of Feb is usually quite dry, with the highest risk of cold snaps. March and possibly early April are the sweet spots in my opinion. The weather warms and the snow falls in larger quantities
- And if you have a rental car, don't overlook other small ski resorts like Kicking Horse and Panorama
- Consider a trip into BC for Cat/Heli skiing if your budget allows

If you like you're driving, there are a lot of small/medium ski resorts that make up a great road trip on and around the "powder highway". These resorts all lie in the sweet spot between the dry/cold interior and the wet/warm coastal weather. Resorts include; Fernie, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Kimberley, Red Mountain. Even Whitefish is reachable, which is a great small ski resort in my opinion.

I'd echo comments about Whistler. It's the closest to European skiing available in North American. Weather is incredibly varied. I've gone to bed having watched it dump a foot in a couple of hours, set the alarm for 5am to see its been washed away until at least the bottom of the Emerald chair. That leaves a choice between enormous lines for the gondola, or getting soaked on a chair lift to get up the mountain. I can see the appeal, snow falls often at the higher elevations and in large quantities. But for me, it's just not very reliable.

I'd agree with pretty much everything said about Utah. It's well worth a visit. Park City has a nice feel to it and is a large ski area. Perhaps its not the best in the area for snow. Deer Valley is great, lots of glade/tree skiing and is actually bigger than it looks on the map. But it's very expensive and tries to build on an exclusive reputation. The best resorts are in the canyons, harder to get to in bad weather, but the snow is much better.

As also mentioned, please don't overlook Colorado. There are some great resorts there too, with really good snow records and reliable temps. Breckenridge is probably my favourite if your budget allows and will offer ski in/out accommodation.

In general, I personally find North America in general, colder and therefore more reliable for snow. Very unlikely to see any rain if you stay away from Whistler (low down) and the east coast (very changeable over there). Quite a lot of places are also less crowded than many European destinations if you can ski mostly on weekdays. Those 2 reasons are why I prefer it now that I'm UK based again and only get the 1 trip per year on average.
snow conditions
@qanuk, welcome to snowhead! snowHead

Nice summary.
latest report
Just as I came to Snowheads for info on European ski areas, you might wander over to my "home ski forum", SkiTalk, which is largely Americans, for more detailed help with your search. There you will find more locals for the areas you're talking about. (Although many of us feel battered from last season when apparently all of the US decided to rediscover the outdoors because of COVID.)

https://www.skitalk.com/forums/
ski holidays
@qanuk, "Even Whitefish is reachable, which is a great small ski resort in my opinion."

Last year was a horror in terms of crowds, a huge jump in skier visits, for which we were ill prepared. Combined with staffing issues, it was a mess. First, there were lifties out sick due to COVID, then we didn't have the South American kids coming up to work due to COVID. I really don't see that changing this coming winter. There are restaurants that can't open due to staffing right now. I'd wait until 22/23 when a new 6 pack lift is being put in and hopefully this COVID mess is in the rear view mirror. Flathead County has a low vaccination rate at the moment.

I will say our lift tickets are way cheaper than most better known resorts. Not as cheap as Europe, though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy