Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, the bus (Postbus) to Zurs is quicker and more convenient than using the ski runs via Galzig and Flexen, especially if the purpose is to ski the pistes of Lech and Warth. I would still do Madloch though. On the return use Flexen if time available.
@ulmerhutte, I assume the bus stop was moved to meet up with the trains and onward pax to Zurs/Lech. Bit of a nuisance though for skiers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A less than an inspiring morning. It looks like it has rained overnight and there is heavy mist hanging over the valley. A good morning for a long breakfast, with the works.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rogg, Just returned from my first trip to Arlberg region (use to skiing France 3V mainly - so this was quite a pleasant change)
Found piste map not very helpful - and app only possibly a bit more user friendly.
Bus between Lech and Zurs very quick and easy (its the blue no. 3)
I (on my own as lost husband) got totally lost following the 'ski routes' (red dotted lines) - however, not a huge drama I always found my way back to civilisation - usually after a bit of a walk.
Its making the mistakes, and sometimes going round in circles that helps you to 'figure it all out'!
In 6 days we managed to cover almost every high and low point on the piste map - and it was fabulous - loved it - a pleasant change.
We stayed in Zurs which made a fabulous base to start from giving us a variety of directions in which to head.
We even skiied (via ski route 10) all the way down to Schrocken to be met with a lovely traditional bar (I think they call them huts??) - great hot chocolate and shots - then bus (runs every 15 minutes right next to bar) back up.
Our week was very quiet - with the exception of Sunday I dont think we hardly queued for a lift.
Have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dippy, that run down to Schröcken is simply lovely, like you say the small bar at the bottom is cool too. The offpiste at the side of that piste is brilliant if conditions allow. That small area is one of my favourite places, winter and summer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditto, on the run down to Schröcken. It takes you through some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring scenery you will find anywhere. Well worth the ski and bus ride.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Warning for 140-200 cm snow especially for Lech and Warth, until wednesday.
Can’t remember a wild forecast like this!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
Warning for 140-200 cm snow especially for Lech and Warth, until wednesday.
Can’t remember a wild forecast like this!

We’re just home, literally! We stayed in Pettneu and our English barman in the hotel was saying that Mon-Wed next week maybe a right off through too much snow!! Didn’t think that was possible!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic week staying in Pettneu. Not much fresh snow, but the pistes were in great condition, helped with temps hovering around zero for much of the week. 4 1/2 bluebird days made this trip fantastic for us (competent intermediates, not powder hounds!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm arriving on Saturday, so hopefully things will have had a couple of days to settle and It won't be too tracked out......
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thursday extremely warm…
It’s gonna be veeery dangerous!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If anything like the accumulations mentioned above occurs, then the mountain will be closed for days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Henri (the new Morris @wepowder) suggests that the Arlberg might get up to 1.5m over the period along with storm force winds https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/283743. If so most of the lifts are likely to closed until Wednesday (not just in the Arlberg). Perhaps a good time to hire some langlauf kit.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ulmerhutte, @munich_irish,
The 140-200 cm forecast (for Hinter Bregenzerwald, Arlberg (west) and Verwall) is from the Vorarlberg Avalanche Commission.
In their words:
Ein “intensiven Nordstauereignis”” Very Happy

(Would not trust Henri too much. He’s Dutch Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When did the fondue train disappear. Always a favourite and not sure when it went. Anywhere else comparable?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks a bit narky in St Anton today on webcams, looks like the predicted dump has started NehNeh
latest report
The snow started at 10:30 and is getting heavier by the hour. Galzig gampen and rendl lifts are the only lifts open. Snow on pistes in trees are beautifully fresh already and skiing in the trees is great. If forecast is correct we could be fairly locked in for the next few days.
ski holidays
Are all the trees "off limits". looking at the piste maps, they're all green ringed with little prohibited symbols - is that the case? I do like a bit of tree skiing (boarding).
ski holidays
SnowBomb

Get here now before we close the road barriers....

Lifts will be severly disrupted until Thursday...

Warm Front coming in Directly behind this storm.. Could be having +10C at the Weekend !
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
Are all the trees "off limits". looking at the piste maps, they're all green ringed with little prohibited symbols - is that the case? I do like a bit of tree skiing (boarding).

Yes, they are prohibited, with the risk of substantial fines. Apocalyptic stories abound of enforcement officers hiding in those trees, ready to nab miscreants. There is a cute ad on the local Panorama channel about what happens.

Not all tree areas are prohibited. Some nice lines to be found on the Galzig and Rendl, and more.

Snowing buckets at the moment.

I didn’t know that taxi drivers had been roped in to operate road barriers. Who knew? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rogg wrote:

And in general too steep, and forest too dense.
Around Arlberg many areas are virtually treeless. Sometimes as low as 1500 meter, especially around Lech and Warth. Partly due to rough climate, but also (historically) agriculture (trees removed to create meadows)
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Warm Front coming in Directly behind this storm.. Could be having +10C at the Weekend !

Yep looks a bit like t-shirt weather early next week Laughing

Better grab the avalanche equipment!
snow report
Looks like about 70cm on the Galzig so far and still snowing heavily at village level. Av Risk Level = 4. No surprise.

I think you might need FB to see this video… https://www.facebook.com/Stanton.Arlberg/videos/687900769237631/
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Looks like about 70cm on the Galzig so far and still snowing heavily at village level. Av Risk Level = 4. No surprise.

I think you might need FB to see this video… https://www.facebook.com/Stanton.Arlberg/videos/687900769237631/

That looks awesome! Winter wonderland! Very Happy
snow report
Still snowing. Not stopping anytime soon.
snow report
Visibility lifted for about an hour at 2:30. Very pleasant on piste conditions. Ski routes and else where are fantastic.
snow conditions
Today is a Day to take the train to Innsbruck or Bregenz or visit a Spa .....
ski holidays
Yesterday: 3 avalanche accidents within 30 minutes, all within short distance of Steffisalpbahn and piste in Warth.
Stay on piste!

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3141281/
snow report
Quote:
Er wurde rund 100 Meter durch die Lawine mitgerissen und anschließend in einer Tiefe von ca. 140 Zentimeter komplett verschüttet. Er trug keine Lawinensuchausrüstung.

A lucky man still to be alive after 30 minutes, completely buried and not wearing any avalanche protective kit or beacon. In current conditions really crazy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saw a helli hover over hinters rendl for a while yesterday afternoon. Hope nothing bad happened there.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, off piste at level 4 with no avi gear... insane.
Time to turn over in bed, head for the sauna, read a good book
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
@munich_irish, off piste at level 4 with no avi gear... insane.

And aged 53 and 61. Men obviously.
Which probably are by now already boasting they survived an avalanche.... Skidiots
ski holidays
Snow now heaviest it has been. Wind has dropped also. Really very pleasant last few runs.
snow report
Quick question: my wife and I are thinking of driving to St Anton tomorrow morning from the Dolomites… I’ve been reading about the avy risk, but are guides likely to go offpiste?
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
Quick question: my wife and I are thinking of driving to St Anton tomorrow morning from the Dolomites… I’ve been reading about the avy risk, but are guides likely to go offpiste?

I know some guides have been skiing offpiste there, but I don't know if that was with clients or not.

However today is SUPER warm (I just got back from Nordkette, which is already completely baked). Once it cools down again (as it should do towards the weekend) and that melt-and-refreeze should help to bond things and stabilise the snowpack somewhat. So I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with guides not wanting to go offpiste.

You could also look one valley further over into Silvretta-Montafon... They also just had a huge amount of snow and it doesn't get tracked as quickly as the Arlberg (though Paddy Graham, Markus Eder and co were skiing there yesterday) and has some really cool terrain...
snow conditions
Looking at the webcams there's been quite a lot of activity off piste already. Tracks all over Rendle cam
latest report
Jungbruntobel was tracked out by 11am. That’s St Anton. Anything visible and reasonably accessible gets tracked out within an hour or 2 of lift open.
ski holidays
Yesterday Fresh Deep Tracks Alpe Dawin..

Privat POW

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Light snow this morning...

Monday Snow !
latest report
Next Tuesday/ Wednesday look like being the best days of the season based on current forecast.
latest report
Today was a joy. 5 - 10cm of fresh, which must have come late, for it was on top of the groomers. Ego snow.

Started a little cloudy and grey, but finished up being a stunningly beautiful afternoon. Very few people around.

I could only shake my head at the number of people who had skied the so-called “Death Wall”, from Kapall into Mattun. Still Av Risk 3!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy