Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic early Sunday mornings hike up to Galzig ....

Nice and cold and will be next few days ..Perfekto snow....

Good read & listen from Local Sk Legend ..weather or not you agree with his views..

https://kurier.at/amp/sport/die-ungerechtigkeit-beschaeftigt-mich-bis-heute/401879477
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Huge dump of snow currently forecast for next Monday and Tuesday, whoop Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pctaylor, forget it. Long term forecasts are useless, definitely in the Alps
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pctaylor, plenty of weather chat here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4915326#4915326 , our resident weather crystal ball gazers think you might be right but a bit early to know for sure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice sunny skiing today around St Anton today, no fresh snow but conditions on piste are good and just happy to be back on any snow after 2 years off! Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
die Kühe können Schnee riechen

Friday and into February next week looking good Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Picture perfect day today. Bluebird. No wind. Very few people over at Rendl.

Yup, the off has been tracked out, but still plenty of good skiing. As a wise old man said to me a few years ago, “We have sunshine, snow, and we are skiing. What else do you need?”
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes @ulmerhutte ! And the Rendl restaurant terrace was sublime in the sun snowHead free
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree. Zurs was quiet and decent snow high up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rendl was absolutely fab today, can’t believe how well the pistes are holding up, and several runs down the top black when we had it to ourselves! Popped over for a couple of runs at Gampen mid afternoon and it was quite different. More people, softer snow, pistes a bit more cut up Eh oh!Eh oh!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We got back from St Anton on Saturday after some delays and chaos at Innsbruck (which turns out its the chambery of Austria). This was my first visit to Arlberg and had super week of skiiing, mixed weather both bit of fresh stuff and sunshine and a fix mixed days but the snow was good and when we could see the skiing was excellent. Few things we came away with thought, the piste map is absolutely useless. Most resorts are better once you know them but its especially true of Alberg, we didn't fine the on piste signage that helpful either but we eventually figured it out. I guess we were expecting Lech/St Anton to be better connected but i've since discovered they've only been linked since 2017, it does create a funnel of busy runs between resorts, especially at either end of the day.

I'd definitely go back to explore more off-piste and also the aprex in full swing when that's back to normal. That said if you like to ski miles as we do then Lech is the better location in my opinion but i guess it depends what you want.

bonus points for having so many chairs with heated seats Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Russeh, we have been flying to Innsbruck for the last 15 years. (from Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Eindhoven)
Never had any chaos, or delays.
Don't jump to conclusions based on one bad experience, in a very special season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I too have flown into INN many times, a few minor delays but those were down to low visibility. But on one occasion the pilot decided that the viz would be too poor and prolonged after MAN departure so diverted to Munich. Buses met the a/c and bussed pax down to INN for original resort transfer busses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the piste map is absolutely useless

Yep. It's not possible to show the runs in anything like a realistic view on a single map. They should break it up in to at least 2 maps, if not 3, with an additional "overview" map showing lifts maybe (Les3V do this, and other places too I suspect). You are probably better off with Google maps on a phone to be honest.

Never had any issues with flying to INN personally but I don't use it that often. I tend to fly to MUC and drive, because it's much cheaper, there are way more options to get there and they have late flights back to the UK on a Sunday night Smile I know INN used to be very unreliable but they upgraded the runway instrumentation quite a while ago, but given the geography it's bound to get some challenging conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Europacuprennen der Damen vom 27. - 28. Jänner 2022

Europa FIS World Cup Ladies

https://www.worldcup-stanton.com/en/

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/event-details.html?sectorcode=AL&eventid=49114&seasoncode=2022

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heli Ski in Austria is currently ONLY allowed in Vorarlberg

Liecense has be exetended ONLY for 2,5 yrs (normally 5yrs)

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3139374/

Environmental Objections

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3139512/

https://www.vol.at/heli-skiing-rauch-erzurnt-will-rechtliche-schrite-prufen/7264403

Hopefully it will BANNED altogether soon.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Breaking News

Lockdown for Unvaccinated People is ending in Austria on Monday Very Happy Very Happy

https://www.derstandard.at/jetzt/livebericht/2000132836585/24-946-corona-neuinfektionen-und-19-verstorbene-seit-gestern?responsive=false
latest report
I dont think much wrong with the piste map but maybe I have been so many times I dont really need it any more. It is a big area but unlike in many French resorts there are no dense networks of lifts (Lech a bit I suppose), the connection between Zürs & Lech is maybe not what many would expect. For me the unique features are what makes the Arlberg so good but I can see that those used to other places, say 3V in France, might not find it suits them.
snow report
@stanton, you will be allowed to go to the pub again, though maybe better to save your money to pay the fines Very Happy
snow conditions
I feel a bit better about my navigation reading these comments… but anyway…my scenic detours have generally revealed the nicest pistes.
Some of the main commuter routes, eg. 170 on The White Ring, are getting a bit icy (but at least not icy moguls)
snow conditions
Another fantastic bluebird day. Started off with the intention of going to Lech, only to miss the ski bus in Zurs by 30 secs. So, we decided to try a few runs in Zurs and ended up staying for the day! So quiet, pistes in great nick, no queues, brilliant. Not so good if you’re a powder hound, but if you like smashing the pistes it’s great! Cool
latest report
@munich_irish, +1

I’ve never used or felt the need for a piste map in Arlberg, so many natural landmarks.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@munich_irish, +1

I’ve never used or felt the need for a piste map in Arlberg, so many natural landmarks.

Fine if you’re familiar with the areas, but if you’re on your first visit then the comfort of a good piste map is invaluable
ski holidays
@Timmy T, tend to agree.

Heaven forbid arriving here on a low visibility day, especially if you are only an intermediate skier, as we were 20 years ago. There are many places that you can ski into, drop off into, etc, places where you soon wish you were not. The problem is that a ski map is not a particularly user-friendly nav tool in the wind and with few/no visible landmarks, but better than nothing.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, low vis is not good even if you know the place. You can feel completely lost within 50m of the Galzig restaurant!
latest report
I’ve been skiing in the Arlberg for over twenty years and it was my eighteenth birthday last weekend. I’ve only used a Piste map once and that was to snowplough back to Lech from the Moose through a blizzard. And that was before they cut the Flexenpass. Rest of you don’t know how lucky you are. Wink
ski holidays
Oh yeah, @munich_irish, I have no time to tell you all the many ways & times I have lost spatial and situational awareness in a whiteout. Very Happy Even trying to navigate from the top of Osthangbahn to the Galzig, which I have probably done 100s of times, I still sometimes finish up too far downslope and have to repeat the loop. Experience however helps you understand what threats might exist where you are and what your options are if you are not where you planned to be.
ski holidays
There is nothing wrong with the piste map. The post that generated this conversation was an inane veiled moan about why st anton was not exactly like 3V where I usually go. I mean how dare they be different. The comparison of insbruck to chambery alone was xenophobic conflation that we could all do without.
snow conditions
mcg wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the piste map. The post that generated this conversation was an inane veiled moan about why st anton was not exactly like 3V where I usually go. I mean how dare they be different. The comparison of insbruck to chambery alone was xenophobic conflation that we could all do without.

Not clear what you are trying to say. The last sentence is just a word salad of woke-scold terms.

The OP appeared to have a pretty good time here, his experience at INN was not great, and he thought the piste map could be better. He referenced Chambery, which seems to get regular bagging on this forum, so perhaps he picked up on that vibe. It was his opinion, so that’s fine to me.
snow conditions
mcg wrote:

Didn't come across as inane or moaning to me, quite the opposite, Russeh said they'd definitely go back.

If the piste map works for you that's fine, I don't usually bother with it myself except when trying to explain to others how to get around, so my comments about making it clearer were more based on the experiences of people new to the area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather ...

With the new Snow next week also comes wind up to 80km/hr expect some lift Clossures

Resorts are empty by normal standards 20-30% (max) occcupancy... continuing this season on from this Shocked Shocked

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30811545/tourismus-fiel-auf-das-niveau-von-1970-zurueck-weiterer-satter-einbruch-in-tirol

Next new infection record: 43,053 new corona cases in Austria. More than 4000 in the Tirol

St Anton 83 Activ Cases
Pettneu 43 Activ Cases

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/295e492032ff446ca13d40d47193cfd7/page/Gemeinden/

We Ski Vaxxed or Unvaxxed and will continue too this season, next season and on on on Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Resorts are empty by normal standards 20-30% (max) occcupancy...

Places for lunch are definitely quieter atm, especially the smaller ones.
But the 55 piste into St Anton is only at 30% of capacity at hometime ?! Shocked Laughing
latest report
Ok wasn't quite expecting some of those responses, for clarity i wasn't saying don't use Innsbruck but like Chambery its a high airport thats terrain and weather make it more liable to delays and diversions, its small so that when that happens people are queueing out of the door as they were when we arrived the other Saturday (2.5 hours to checking).

There was no vailed reference to its not being like the 3 valleys, i enjoyed the fact it's different especially the hospitality and the people but inevitably you compare it with other places you've been its just human nature.

We'll have agreed to disagree on the piste map. Unless you've already skied the area it just isn't very clear at all, i heard several other groups at breakfast all having the same conversation as us about the map.
snow report
sah wrote:

Didn't come across as inane or moaning to me, quite the opposite, Russeh said they'd definitely go back.

If the piste map works for you that's fine, I don't usually bother with it myself except when trying to explain to others how to get around, so my comments about making it clearer were more based on the experiences of people new to the area.

Thats how it was intended and to share my experience as someone new to this area and hopefully that benefits anyone else reading this going to St Anton for the first time. If i knew before what i do now i would have done more homework on how you get around.
ski holidays
@Russeh, it's really OK but you don't need anyone telling you that of course.
I like 3V for the leisure skiing and it's big, I LOVE St. Anton for its warmth and hospitality, it feels way more personal after 3 times than 3V/EK ever will. Not to mention the apres in Mooserwirt or BaseCamp.
Innsbruck ain't an easy landing spot and I have spent once (Crystal in late Dec.) 4 hrs waiting for the fog to allow us to fly back, only to be shipped by taxi to Munich and then home through Warsaw Shocked
I find their app and Arlberg map correct, but the first time there I had problems understanding the area above Zammermoos and Tanzboden, i.e. how to get to Arlenmahder/Schindlerbahn.
It grows on you, I'll probably return in a month
ski holidays
@Russeh, You didnt come across as moaning, nothing wrong with anyone's experience. The Arlberg has a good number of minus points, especially when it is busy. I can also see how people new to the area might find getting around a bit of a challenge, it isnt like many other large ski areas in that there are few links between the areas. For instance the quickest way between St Anton & Lech (even Zürs & Lech) is by bus. It rewards those who are willing to take on a bit of a challenge (you dont have to be a rubber legged expert), once I understood that, everywhere else seemed to pale in comparison.
snow report
@munich_irish, is there a regular village ski bus service between all the Arlberg resorts? Is it covered on the ski pass?
snow conditions
@rogg, he knows better but from my own experience it was 4€ to Zurs and 5€ to Lech.
Money well spent early mornings when everyone is rushing to get to the other side, especially after snowy days.
Yet the ski routes to Zug and Lech from Madloch are worth doing at least once.
Pettneu has a free skibus early mornings and in the afternoons, if I remember correctly
ski holidays
@drporat, thanks.

First time to the Arlberg, I've tried searching the forum but wading through the masses of info for specific questions is really tough. I'll try and condense/ask as few dumb numpty questions as possible.
ski holidays
There are no dumb questions. And sometimes it's easier to ask than to sift through endless web pages on the web.
The more you'll come to Arlberg, the more you'll feel at home and at ease.
I've been more times to Tignes and I speak French fluently but in St. Anton I truly feel happier, warmer and peaceful.
snow report
@rogg, you have to pay for the bus between St Anton & Zürs/Lech, as @drporat, says its only a few Euros. The other local ski buses are free during the day, for the night buses in St Anton there is a small charge (though given that the bars shut at 22:00 currently not much point in them). Personally I think the best option for getting to Zürs in the morning from St Anton is the bus. There is (was?) one at 08:40 from the main bus stops next to the Rendlbahn. This gets to Zürs just after 09:00, which is earlier than is possible using the lifts, beats the queues on the way to Madloch etc, the sunny east facing slopes aboves Zürs are usually at their best first thing. Also worth using the bus from Lech to Zürs, it runs every 10 minutes, if you take the Lech variation of the Madloch run you can practically ski to the bus stop (needs decent snow, involves a bit of road skiing / hopping into hotel car parks, better with hire skis as grit not ideal for ski bases!) to get back to Zürs to do it again.
ski holidays
The 8:41 bus to Zürs/Lech gets in at 9:11. The bus stop for it is now at the Bahnhof. I think science had something to do with the change.

Lightly snowing this morning, but not much accumulation so far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy