Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bunny hill and green runs more dangerous than blue and black

Poster: A snowHead
daddytroopa wrote:
New here, old guy, new skier - intermediate.
I'm going to argue that the bunny (training) hill and green runs are way more dangerous than blue and black runs especially at the beginning of the season. Here's why...
What do you guys think? ...
I think you need to learn about "Search Engines".
  1. Google "ski accident statistics": https://is.gd/sTyOsO
  2. Look at the "National Ski Areas Association" links https://nsaa.org/
  3. Decide which kind of "danger" you're interested in, for example fatalities in the 2020-21 season.
  4. Note the bit before the summary "The majority of incidents occurred on more or most difficult terrain."

Why would you not check the data before diving into anecdote?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Yellow Snow, The title of the post isn't "bunny slopes" but "Benny Hill" - much funnier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jabuzzard, I was gonna say they should have their passes confiscated but jumped to the end..... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jabuzzard wrote:
RobinS wrote:

I class these skiers as "less good" skiers. A skier who has the technical skills, but not the awareness and control to be safe for themselves and others cannot be classed as a good skier.

Hum,
http://youtube.com/v/ygxufRprWpY

Would have been a shame if someone on the button lift accidentally swung out their poles, or dropped their poles directly under the skis of the person coming down.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig,
Why bother? He wasn't offering facts.

I would contend that he's correct. Twisted knee because someone clattered you, often not reported therefore unreliable stats. Died = reliable stats. The more minor the injury I'd suggest the less reliable the information.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmycb5 wrote:

Would have been a shame if someone on the button lift accidentally swung out their poles, or dropped their poles directly under the skis of the person coming down.

I somehow doubt that would have made any difference to Candide. Basically there is nobody on this forum who is within a light year of him in terms of skiing ability Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
motdoc wrote:
...The more minor the injury I'd suggest the less reliable the information.
Yes, that sounds likely, but that doesn't make the OP's perspective correct.
I guess sometimes I've just had enough of stupidity for the day and it seems that I ought to at least help avoid spreading lies and misinformation.

There are other easily found statistics which for example point out the relatively large occurrence of injury during the first few days "on snow",
particular for snowboarders. That doesn't mean beginners or beginner terrain is dangerous. What old blokes get up to on beginner slopes may well
be dangerous for other reasons - I can't think why you'd go there myself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jabuzzard wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

I somehow doubt that would have made any difference to Candide. Basically there is nobody on this forum who is within a light year of him in terms of skiing ability Happy

A pole to the face from the arm of 16 stone Welshman might make him think twice about skiing down a drag lift full of people again though Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

A pole to the face from the arm of 16 stone Welshman might make him think twice about skiing down a drag lift full of people again though Laughing

Apart from that then being an assault that would get you in trouble and likely give you an injury, you do realise the whole thing is staged?

Note the guy does not need snow like us mere mortals so a pole on the ground is likely to be of no consequence

http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jabuzzard wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Apart from that then being an assault that would get you in trouble and likely give you an injury, you do realise the whole thing is staged?

Note the guy does not need snow like us mere mortals so a pole on the ground is likely to be of no consequence

http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ

Yeah I’ve seen that vid before. Know it was staged. Of course any pole swinging would have been entirely accidental if someone decided to do that IRL anywhere near my wife or kids. Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daddytroopa wrote:

Also trying to break my record of how many times I can say "bunny" in one post (bunny)

Bunny jabber rabbit rabbit...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Thovex piece was clearly all worked out and choreographed in advance, probably over several days (I loved the 2 guys he jumped over, for example), and I am sure every blind jump (most constructed in advance by him and his team) was watched to keep it free. Not sure about the people on the lifts, though, it may have been assumed they were safe with someone of his ability.
Not a good example to others, though, which was presumably why they thought it should end that way.

The ultimate Thovex film, though is
http://youtube.com/v/cpi2fc5vfNs . Previously mentioned on snowheads.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-02-21 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitter wrote:

But then it is a .com site so not quite as obvious as if it were .co.uk

The OP never even look at the thread titles before he post. It would have been so obvious!

Even when several posts hinted at it, he's still stuck on his own "corner of the world", oblivion of the wider world. Well, stuck in his own corner of the virtual world that is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd say a dedicated, segregated bunny-hill/beginners area with no fast through-traffic is a pretty safe place. Icy / bumpy blue home-runs are the most dangerous.

We see a lot more collisions on the home-runs since daytime piste-ing (grooming) was banned. The resorts had learned the safety benefit of flattening the bumps/tilling the ice early afternoons, when the home-runs were quiet and could be partially closed by the pisteurs (ski patrol) for a quick groom. A couple of freak but high-profile fatal skier-vs-rattrack incidents a few years ago put paid to that overnight. Fear of bad publicity and the politicians' need to "do something" led to the ban; so now we deal with hundreds if not thousands of avoidable collisions (some of which are equally fatal) across France every season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@daddytroopa,
Quote:

@johnE so red runs are more advanced runs? In the corner of the earth, RED runs are the ones that denote a shortcut or bypass that leads to another chairlift (I think). At least that what I've noticed... and "Marmot" runs are beginner runs? Are you skiing out of Europe?

I have skied out of Europe a few times but the vast majority of skiing has been in Europe.

I think daddytroopa may actually be asking if you ski in Europe when he says, "out of Europe." wink
ski holidays
daddytroopa wrote:
abc wrote:
daddytroopa wrote:
@johnE so red runs are more advanced runs? In the corner of the earth, RED runs are the ones that denote a shortcut or bypass that leads to another chairlift (I think). At least that what I've noticed... and "Marmot" runs are beginner runs? Are you skiing out of Europe?

Hello! This is a UK based ski forum! Where do you think most people ski? Canada??? rolling eyes

Well, yea actually!

This will probably get me banned but I had to look up the definition of "piste" haha

Very Happy Very Happy

Now try "off piste" and "piste basher." wink

Or, for a bit of fun, (without looking it up) tell us what you think a piste basher might be wink Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
It all depends on the time of day and conditions. I would love to know anything more dangerous than narrow section of the black run Trolles in Tignes, about 4pm on an icy mid Feb day.

It's not just the carnage on the piste, but some go higher above the run and falling onto the run, scattering punters like tenpins
This is the most dangerous situation I think. A steep run, often with polished snow, which has a long, flat section at the end. Plenty of skiers struggle with the conditions, but as they see a flat section of piste at the end they are content to speed down the lower part of the steep section, with too little control, knowing that they will regain control when they reach the easier terrain. It results in plenty of of skiers who don't have complete control of their speed or line, travelling at high speeds. It's that situation which resulted in a skier colliding in to me at high speed a few years ago.
snow conditions
I read somewhere, sadly I can no longer find the source, that the biggest cause of death on the Austrian ski areas was heart attack. It was blamed on a large number of middle aged, unfit, obese men suddely doing exercise for the first time in 12 months.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
[... ... A steep run, often with polished snow, which has a long, flat section at the end. ...
In Whistler for example they stick up signs and deploy "speed cops" precisely in that type of circumstance, as it's not particularly obvious to most of us why it's dangerous.
It's annoying when you're forced to go slow because other people may be incompetent, but they have to pull anyone going fast; it's not based on how incompetent they look.
ski holidays
@philwig, I've seen them on the piste at Les Arcs with hand held speed checking guns
ski holidays
I know that the plural of anecdote isn't data but, the only time I've ever injured myself in many years of skiing, was when I fractured my spine on a green run after a boarder ploughed into me.

Green runs still scare me. Feel a lot more comfortable on blacks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy