Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 21

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking to go skiing at Christmas 2021, preferably Europe. Our party will be 6-8 adults in a chalet. Looking for any recommendations.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @allen@belfastcoffeeroaste. You'll get more useful information if you could be a bit more specific. What kind of skiers? Do you mean that you want a chalet to yourselves, or shared with others? Budget? Chalets range from cheap 'n cheerful to top luxury. DIY or tour operator?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@allen@belfastcoffeeroaste, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
I can recommend fellow snowHead @flangesax's place in Radstadt : https://www.austrian-adventures.com/ Great skiing in the Ski Amade area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers. I’ll take a look.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pam W we are 6-8 intermediate skiers, looking for chalet to ourselves. Most are travelling from England, 3 from NI. Chalet catered or self catering, no sharing, budget around £2k. We will be DIY.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you looking for recommendations for a particular/specific chalet?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, just a resort really.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@allen@belfastcoffeeroaste, welcome to SnowHeads. That’s a very low budget for what you’re looking for in a peak week. Self-catering might be possible but not catered. Good luck though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go high for best chance of good snow at Xmas time - eg Val Thorens / 3 Valleys, Val d'Isere / Tignes, La Plagne / Les Arcs etc...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That’s a very low budget for what you’re looking for in a peak week.

Is it really? It's a long time since I've had to arrange and budget for an "all in" holiday for a group, but I'd have expected to be able to get something good for that, assuming it's £2K a head. Advice to "go high" does make sense at Christmas, I suppose, though it can also mean bleak and cold conditions. I think I'd be tempted to go somewhere with good snow-making - maybe the Dolomites - and hope for cold enough weather to blow snow. Depends what you are looking for, I guess. Christmas is cheaper than New Year, and less crowded.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
need a lot more info TBH
Family Friendly or more lively?
Christmasy feel in resort village, or happy with a purpose built resort?
Are you complete beginners? so would need lessons in that budget?
How about flights/transfers? Flying from different airports, do you need to organise for different times, or can you arrive around the same time?
are you comfortable driving for transfers, or would you need them arranged, etc. etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, I took it as £2k for them all..... if not, then yes, that’s plenty for a good catered option. Perhaps the OP can clarify?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
allen@belfastcoffeeroaste wrote:
No, just a resort really.

If you've not been at Christmas before then be aware it's not one of the busiest weeks of the year, that would be New Year week and Feb Half Term week but it's in the pretty busy weeks just after that. Most people find going to the snowy mountains Christmassy enough and are glad to be out of the full on commercial/family Christmas back home. It's not that Christmassy in resort and you obviously won't have loads of decorations and presents around you. We (family) take a small Christmas tree and a handful of pressies. We don't do a special Christmas dinner. Going to a restaurant you need to make sure you book in advance.

Skiing wise, Christmas the quality/coverage of snow can be anything. Over the years we've had everything from brown patch city to days of constant snow. It's mid-winter and days are short and it can be bleak/windy. Hence for me the go to place is to stay somewhere in the trees with access to good high altitude skiing. So if the weather is bad I can still ski locally and if it's good I can easily get to good high altitude snow.

We ski in France mostly because we drive. If you are flying that opens things up obviously.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pam W we are 6-8 intermediate skiers, looking for chalet to ourselves. Most are travelling from England, 3 from NI. Chalet catered or self catering, no sharing, budget around £2k. We will be DIY.

Yes, I like many others reading your post thought you were talking about a £2K budget in total for the group, which with 6-8 people would definitely be pushing it. Laughing If it's £2k per person then you can get plenty of options much less than that. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@allen@belfastcoffeeroaste, May I suggest going onto amazon and buying a secondhand copy of where to ski and snowboard and spend many happy hours of research over the next 10 months.
ski holidays
Ricky B wrote:
I'd go high for best chance of good snow at Xmas time - eg Val Thorens / 3 Valleys, Val d'Isere / Tignes, La Plagne / Les Arcs etc...

Thank you.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That’s a very low budget for what you’re looking for in a peak week.

Is it really? It's a long time since I've had to arrange and budget for an "all in" holiday for a group, but I'd have expected to be able to get something good for that, assuming it's £2K a head. Advice to "go high" does make sense at Christmas, I suppose, though it can also mean bleak and cold conditions. I think I'd be tempted to go somewhere with good snow-making - maybe the Dolomites - and hope for cold enough weather to blow snow. Depends what you are looking for, I guess. Christmas is cheaper than New Year, and less crowded.

Might have to re-assess the date. Plan was to go to a high resort.
snow conditions
If you don't have kids or teachers in the group there are much better times to go. Cheaper, longer days, better chance of good weather and good snow, fewer lift queues. If France, avoid the French school holidays (last three weeks in February and the first week in March.
ski holidays
Might have to re-assess the date.

Why did you choose Christmas?

Plan was to go to a high resort.

Any particular reason?
latest report
pam w wrote:
If you don't have kids or teachers in the group there are much better times to go. Cheaper, longer days, better chance of good weather and good snow, fewer lift queues.

I've never been at Christmas before, and it's never been near the top of my list for the reasons given above - however, with the kids looking like they might miss another year, I'm investigating into whether we can squeeze in an interim holiday for them before Easter 2022 - and the gap between Christmas and Easter is over 3mths, so feels like it might be worthwhile.

However... I don't really want to spend a fortune - so am wondering if I could squeeze in a long weekend when the kids break up in Dec (something like 17th-20th Dec). But I don't know how most apartments work their weeks around Christmas, and whether it fits with them, or whether they will only be looking at week long bookings. Also Xmas day is on a Saturday (so I'm guessing standard Sat-Sat doesn't quite work for people coming for a Christmas break).

Ultimately it may be a case of leaving it to the last minute and seeing where the snow is, and where the deals are - but just generally curious if this has any legs as an idea?
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, With Christmas day folling on a Saturday and perhaps more significantly New Year's day I am not sure what is going to happen over this period. In the past short and long week bookings have happened. For example moving change over day to the Sunday. My suggestion is to wait and see. Christmas week is usually quite quiet but New Year week is one of the busiest in the season. I heartily reccomend skiing over Christmas.

It is a very long time between Christmas 2021 and Easter 2022 - as near as damit 4 months! Some resorts will open the Saurday before Chritmas and may even close before Easter,
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip,

Most Tour Operators are operating a Mon-Mon for xmas week & the same for New year.
So...... Lots of good deals for Mon Jan 3rd - to the Saturday 8th because of the short week. It then allows TO's to go back to Sat-Sat.
Crystal already has tons of options for less than £500 for flights, transfers & accomodation at major resorts like Mayrhofen, Selva, Zell, Passo Tonale, etc. No Brainer IMO
ski holidays
Thanks @johnE, @Mr.Egg - really useful information! Had a look on Crystal and you're right, there are some great bargains between the 3rd-8th Jan. I got a little excited for a second, until I remembered that the kids go back to school on the 4th - which explains why the prices look so good for that week.

But if TO's (and apartments?) are looking at Mon-Mon for xmas week, then maybe it does open up the possibility of a Fri-Mon before Christmas maybe. More research needed Smile
snow report
@Handy Turnip, we usually go to France and stay in an apartment which we book directly with a local agency/owner. Even if Saturday is Christmas Eve/Day we still go Saturday to Saturday (so this year 18th to 25th). Never noticed any change in accommodation availability. Things change less in ski resorts and for many Europeans, the season's main event is Christmas Eve. I think it's mainly the UK TO's that change their dates.

Will you be flying or driving?

If I was you I'd be inclined to book the apartment for a week and then just only use it for 4/5 nights as you wish.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy