Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maddest skiing line I've ever seen.

Poster: A snowHead
Pierre Tardivel's route in the Aravis mountains. Very scary pics.

http://yadugaz.free.fr/actu/parejoux.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of the thumbnails at the bottom are amazing - you can see why they gave it the grade.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty impressive. Not for the faint hearted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot grade, Scarpa? I give them Null Points. I mean look at this!
Sidestepping down he is. Even the Snowheads Off-Piste B Team would have jump-turned that bit, no doubt using the new hels_t bum-blast technique, as pioneered in Val-T last week. Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this: 5.5/ 5.6, E4, TD
climber speak for - "quite tricky"

All looks a bit bonkers to me Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, Just a reverse camber demo, only reason there to go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, Good one! It's not really skiing though, as I know it - no flow. Tardival is pretty amazing though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't that where Alan injured himself? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, good point. Are these guys skiing or do they just happen to have skis on to speed up their descent in places ?

Yes, it's scary, yes, they must be good etc. etc. but it leaves me a bit non-plussed. It's somewhere between a mountaineering descent and skiing but not really one or the other. If that's how they get their kicks good for them but I wouldn't want to ski where I need to carry ice axes instead of ski poles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickW wrote:
easiski, good point. Are these guys skiing or do they just happen to have skis on to speed up their descent in places ?

Yes, it's scary, yes, they must be good etc. etc. but it leaves me a bit non-plussed. It's somewhere between a mountaineering descent and skiing but not really one or the other. If that's how they get their kicks good for them but I wouldn't want to ski where I need to carry ice axes instead of ski poles.

It's skiing alright. 55deg couloir. Respect.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Somewhere to take the third weekers next EOSB! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flicksta, NickW, Yes - descending on skis, but parts of that were more than 55 deg by the look of it, and these guys don't ski down as we know it. The tendency is always one jump turn, stop, check it's OK for the next and so on. I'm not putting them down, (on the contrary) but it certainly doesn't pull my chain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When Kramer says "follow me", bear in mind threads such as this rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
Yes - descending on skis... these guys don't ski down as we know it. The tendency is always one jump turn, stop, check it's OK for the next and so on.

surely this description could apply to some of your more timid students too? wink
latest report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing

Arno, they're not allowed to stop! Shocked wink
snow report
No ankle flex & in the back seat. Basically poor technique. Suggest a lesson or two on a green run to batten down their technique before going back to the red run shown.
snow report
easiski,
Quote:

It's not really skiing though, as I know it - no flow.

Probably they are to used to sideslipping and traversing and not had real lessons that concentrate on turning; thats real skiing. wink
snow report
T Bar, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Steep? Yes.
Skiing? Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to tell with still photos. It looks more like skiing sometimes and climbing down with skis on at others.
See some skiing (and boarding) here.. . http://broadbandsports.com/node/1321
ski holidays
Come on people, of course it's skiing. I have no doubt that Tardivel could ski a blue run as well as pretty much anyone on here. BASI goes on quite a bit about tactics as well as pure technique. I would say this is the ultimate in tactical skiing
snow report
Arno, No arguments - I said "not skiing as I know it - no flow". that was an opinion not a criticism. Most people enjoy the "flow" of skiing - once they've achieved it. Extreme skiing is about, as you say, tactics and achievement - not flow. Ergo, it's not the same thing at all.
latest report
If it's not carving it's not real skiing....

At least that is the distinct impression I get from some people!
ski holidays
It's a type of skiing in the way that climbing Everest is type of hill walking. Joe Simpson, Simon Yates and I are all enthusiastic hill walkers, but our paths rarely cross.
latest report
If they were properly skiing it as a 'line', they'd be very good freeride skiers. Also, if they were doing so they would need a lot more protective equipment than what they have.
latest report
ejoy, I assume this is a joke? Pierre Tardival is probably the foremost extreme skier in the world. Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
I notice Tardivel is on Dynafit bindings (Janody looks as if he's on Fritschi Freerides). I'd always wondered whether they were really secure enough for proper Wink skiing (those little lugs that stick from the toe-piece into the boot always look incredibly insecure to me) - but I guess this answers the question Shocked .

Scarpa, I guess we have a bit more practice to do before we're up there Very Happy Laughing rolling eyes .
snow conditions
ejoy wrote:
If they were properly skiing it as a 'line', they'd be very good freeride skiers. Also, if they were doing so they would need a lot more protective equipment than what they have.

errr... i think this is a line where if you fall, you die. some padded shorts aren't going to help that much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
I notice Tardivel is on Dynafit bindings (Janody looks as if he's on Fritschi Freerides). I'd always wondered whether they were really secure enough for proper Wink skiing (those little lugs that stick from the toe-piece into the boot always look incredibly insecure to me) - but I guess this answers the question Shocked .

Scarpa, I guess we have a bit more practice to do before we're up there Very Happy Laughing rolling eyes .

Yup - I should be ready sometime after my next 16 lives Laughing I was just waiting for the 'Kramers next outing' comments hehehe
snow conditions
Quote:

'Kramers next outing' comments hehehe

Could be an option, doesn't look to bad.

Why has someone drawn a squigly line on the photo. Rather spoils a nice picture of the mountain in the background
latest report
easiski wrote:
flicksta, NickW, Yes - descending on skis, but parts of that were more than 55 deg by the look of it, and these guys don't ski down as we know it. The tendency is always one jump turn, stop, check it's OK for the next and so on. I'm not putting them down, (on the contrary) but it certainly doesn't pull my chain.

It's still skiing though, even if not as you know it.
ski holidays
I quite liked richmond, comment, which sums it up for me. When I see videos of guys straightlining gulleys or picking their way through rocks and cliffs bands I think that counts more as skiing. Hugo Harrison springs to mind. That is ultimate skiing, this is somehow less about skiing and more about the difficulty of the bits inbetween the skiing and the consequences of a fall.
snow report
richmond,
Quote:

Joe Simpson, Simon Yates and I are all enthusiastic hill walkers,

<Pedant alert>
Simpson says in one of his books that he hates hill walking. Puzzled
snow conditions
Maybe not quite the same but looks quite serious - local kids too rather than the big name pros

http://www1.travelalberta.com/whatsnew/details.cfm?WhatsNewID=529

Bit of interesting insight into the whole ski movie as commercial business.
ski holidays
My brother's in the film business and tells me that he's never seen more than 3 turns before an edit (aparently if you know what you're doing you can see them - I can't) in any of the films he's seen - now THAT puts an interesting spin on the movies!!
snow report
As easiski says Tardivel is as extreme as it gets, nunmerous 1st descents around the Chamonix area and the like and the locals aren't said to like him because he's from Annecy...!!

Typically he always climbs what he skis so he can get a better picture of the snow condiotions. His style is bombproof because he can't afford to fail.

Its definitely skiing in my book
snow report
JT, I don't know any "real" extreme skiers who don't climb up the route that they propose to ski down. They tell me they need to feel and see the snow conditions up close before trying to ski it. The film stuff is not often as steep as guys like Tardival get.
ski holidays
NickW wrote:
I quite liked richmond, comment, which sums it up for me. When I see videos of guys straightlining gulleys or picking their way through rocks and cliffs bands I think that counts more as skiing. Hugo Harrison springs to mind. That is ultimate skiing, this is somehow less about skiing and more about the difficulty of the bits inbetween the skiing and the consequences of a fall.

Hugo Harrison - Big lines, big drop-offs, superfast, solid technique, high consequence skiing, excellent extreme skier from North America

Pierre Tardivel, Super gnarly routes, super steep, ice, rocks, controlled, solid technique, high consequence skiing, excellent extreme skier from Europe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy