Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The last season you didn't ski, and why?

Poster: A snowHead
So, slightly in the same vein as @Tom Doc's Humble beginnings thread, but a different question. Pre Covid, how long ago was the last season that you didn't manage to ski, and what was it that stopped you?

For me it was the year our youngest was born, because her birthday is the end of January - she's just turned 24. In fact, I've only missed 2 seasons since I first went in 1989, the other occasion being when we went trekking in Nepal in April '94, and simply couldn't afford to do both.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@karin, too many years ago to remember precisely but I couldn't afford it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1983 - Just graduated and couldn't afford it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't ski last season, previous one was 40 years ago, knee problems both times.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I missed 3 years (2012/13/14) as a result of a deteriorating back and then back surgery. There was a point I'd thought my skiing days were over - but luckily that was not the case. I have been going every year since recovery - except this one, of course.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 11-02-21 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1982/3. I started the next year and haven’t missed one since (yet, this season not looking good). When our second was born mid-Feb it wasn’t ideal but I dropped both the kids and Mrs DJL with the in-laws in Holland and drove on to meet two mates at GVA. 3 days skiing ending on 1May in Chatel that year was my thinnest season so far.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunno 97? A couple of broken legs, an ACL recon and a smashed scapula (pre season) haven't stopped me before this one
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2004-2010 I think; two babies.

Oh damn. no; 2019, as I was throwing every penny at the house as I thought I might be forced to sell it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-02-21 22:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1989/90. No snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Three years ago.ì A group of us would go to Ischgl in early March and I've been going there pretty much every year since 1997. Group numbers would vary but there was a core of 8 or 9. While nobody's fallen out the group has broken up and I fear its terminal. One mate has decided to retire from skiing. Another has become a father again at the age of 53 and the rest have decided to restrict their Ischgl visits to the end of season party weekend. Whatever happens I've vowed to go next season, even if I have to go on my own. Looking to go to Saalbach.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DJL, all right for you, you could leave the baby behind. Not as easy when you are Mum! Mind you, I did ski while 4 and a half months pregnant with the eldest, and we then left him with the grandparents when we went the following year and he was 9 months old.

The themes seem to be money (or lack of it), injury, and babies.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1985. I hadn't started skiing. This virus is pants. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1984, as we hadn't learned to ski then.

We were beginning to despair for this season but, luckily, we've just had snow. On each of the past 2 days, Mrs B and I have ski-toured to (and through) our wooded local nature reserve from our door - our first skiing of the season. We covered 7 miles yesterday and just under 6 miles today.

And it felt great! Very Happy Very Happy

We found some decent stuff on the woodland tracks and even managed to link 16 turns at one point. We were very pleasantly surprised to get in some "proper turns."

Hopefully we can make it 3 in a row tomorrow.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 11-02-21 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
92/93. Couldn’t afford £375 (I think) for the uni ski trip, out of my scholarship. I spent many thousands of pounds in later years making up for that.

Before that, 89/90. Our school ski trip in Romania was supposed to start just before Christmas. They were shooting in the streets during the anticommunist revolution, so the trip got cancelled. Can’t remember why I didn’t go with the parents that season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1987, because my first time skiing was 1988. Didn't ski until I was in my mid-20s but since then have tried to make up for all those missed years!
ski holidays
Never missed one since I first went snowboarding in 1995.

Only managed 15 days in 2005 due to a shocker snow year.
snow report
horizon wrote:

Before that, 89/90. Our school ski trip in Romania was supposed to start just before Christmas. They were shooting in the streets during the anticommunist revolution, so the trip got cancelled.

Now that’s a solid excuse!
snow report
2000/01 our twin boys were born 4th Jan - bit busy
snow report
1993-2005: Too skint.
2007: Cancer.
latest report
I think it was 1998. Had been 3 years on the trot, and had an unexpected expense that ate up the holiday fund.
snow conditions
Too many really. The first I missed was 1992. I’d broken my tib and fib the year before (inside my boot btw, which was fun) and it put me off for a bit. Didn’t ski again until I joined the ski club in Uni but I was far too skint to go on any of the trips, so that was limited to the old dry slope in High Wycombe. Couldn't afford to go until my mid 30s in about 2013. This year will be the first year I’ve missed* since then.

*technically I did ski as I got my blades out a couple of weeks ago when we had a dusting and went down the small “hill” in the village.

Edit: this isn’t quite correct. I went boarding a couple of years on the trot in the early 2000s too when my brother (who is a boarder) lived in Milan, so it was an easy bus ride to Cervinia.
ski holidays
1975/76 winter. I was travelling in New Zealand and across Asia during our winter. Now , having turned 70 , it is very galling to miss a season when everyone is precious. And will I ever dance on tables again or sing along to cheesy Europop in the Hinterhag in Saalbach!! And doesn't the snow look good this year?
snow report
1 year some time between 1999 and 2003. Work got in the way. I think it might have been the season immediately after 911 (I flew on 912!), cos that was the week I moved to Turin expecting to be there for the season, and I would have taken trips every other weekend, but they moved us all back to the Netherlands in the November.
ski holidays
1993 Just started a new job and bought my first house, funds were tight.
Apart from this year that is the only year I have missed since 1975......hang on and I really that old Embarassed
snow report
The season of 2014/2015 I didn't ski, but honestly I don't know why I didn't, probably couldn't afford it at the time.

First time I skied was February 2004, a school trip during half term, then we had our first family ski holiday in March 2004. I know we then didn't ski the 2004/2005 season, but went away twice in the 2005/2006 season.

So only 2 seasons since I first went that I haven't skied, until this year, which will be my 3rd season i've missed.
snow conditions
We learned at Norfolk Snowsports Club dry slope in 2004/5 (not exactly young then!). Since then, until this year, the longest time we have not skied for was 3 months, when away cycle touring. We had ski holidays every winter, skied and then instructed at the dry slope, then started doing seasons. The last day we skied was the last day the lifts ran in France in March.
ski holidays
Wow!

46 years unbroken skiing for Eddy.

Very impressive and it will take some beating.

I'm on the case... wink
latest report
I missed 2018-19 with a hip replacement but did squeeze in the last week of the season March 2020 in Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

46 years unbroken skiing for Eddy.

Can't quite beat that at 40 years unbroken - I took the 1980/81 season off as I had the opportunity to sail across the Atlantic & spend the spring cruising the Caribbean snowHead - a reasonable excuse methinks!

Otherwise I would have made 45 yrs continuous snowHead
latest report
I had my first lesson in 1998, first trip in 1999 and haven't missed out a year since, until, i suspect, this year. Was supposed to be driving off to the Grand Massif today, for HT week, but of course that's kaput. We are down for the FamBash should by some miracle that happen at Easter...
snow report
After1961 my parents gave up skiing because of my father's illness, I skied the next year with another family and then not again till1982.
Since then there was just 2014 when I got one day of skiing and then broke my leg (helicoptered off the slope in St Anton, dangling on a wire).
Still hoping Scotland might open in April.
ski holidays
1996/7ish because of work
latest report
Took a break from 2008 to 2016....went travelling to Sth America and then my wife and I had kids - 3 in 4 years. Once our two eldest were 3 and 4 we booked a Mark Warner holiday and went to Les Deux Alpes. They loved it. We loved it. Its now firmly fixed in our winter calendar.....the ski holiday!

2020/21 will be the first time in 5 years of not skiing.
snow report
Since 2001, the only year I have missed was 2019 which was down to a knee injury in October 2018. For much of 2019 I despaired of ever skiing again. I fact just doing the shopping was an issue and it took a long time to recover properly from the surgery and then get any semblance of fitness back.

I managed to sneak in a week in March last year just before lockdown in France (returned on the 15th March) so I know with the aid of a SkiMojo I can actually manage a weeks skiing.

What I would say to people is to be a glass half full person because not being able to ski this year is so less depressing than not knowing whether you will ever ski again it is not worth thinking about.

That said I am planing to try an sneak some touring in tomorrow in Fife. See how it goes but there will still be plenty of snow and with a little more melt today and freeze overnight it will provide something of a base so I won't be cutting through to the ground when I turn. I would happily try some touring in the highlands but I am not supposed to leave my local authority area so Fife it is.
snow report
1983 - undergoing a sentence at the RAF College, Cranwell. Very Happy
ski holidays
Started 1991/1992, had 1 week in 92 & 93 then didn't ski again until Jan 2006, skied every season since until this one.
latest report
Started skiing in 1988, been lucky enough never to have had a break, since 1994 most years I've managed 2 seperate weeks, now as I advance in ago, 60 in June worry a little if will pick it up as quick when hopefully get back to it next year Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Not missed one since my first trip at xmas 2005 so this will be the first season without skiing. I guess it'd be a good excuse to do the PSB just so I haven't missed a year Toofy Grin

PS... @Corky, if your group is no more, then the sH bashes might be worth a look.
snow conditions
1983...was working in Dubai, earning proper money. Jacked the job in and came back to Europe because I knew I wanted to ski, even though hadn't been since 9 years before when at school. Not missed a season since.....until this one obvs. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Early 2000's (2002??) I met my wife in the early 90's and hadn't been skiing since then (wedding house etc) kids were 5 and 2 and we went with my parents. It was great apart from skis having fundamentally changed in the years I had missed...
Have been going every year since, recently up to 3 weeks a year last year was supposed to be 6 but 'only' got 3 before covid... Fingers crossed for next year I have missed it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy