Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmont Adrenaline vs. Scarpa Denali....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the better of the two.....

Probably do a 70/30 bias to being on piste, but am starting to walk up hill more and more, and the good old Lange's are quite simply breaking my will to live when fighting gravity, hence the thought developing to switch to touring boots (luggage constraints and Mrs Guvnor mean only room in my world for one pair..)

Have been told that the Garmonts are probably the stiffest tourer available at this time, and therefore I'd probably get away with them for day to day use on piste (4-6 weeks a year, but generally chaperoning the good lady so nothing too exciting to burn the thighs any more) plus the benefit of being able to have a 'regular' heel and toe fitted for using my normal bindings sur la groomers...thus no expense on new bindings....however, the Denali's do fit like a glove, and are good value at the moment because I hear they are being discontnued next year....not as stiff though (although stiff in comparison to other tourers).....means new bindings though....I would never make such a decision based purely on fiscal means, but can you feel my dilemma? Any advice/suggestions/ideas?

Also, saw a great offer on some Seth's the other day....I think too heavy for strapping to my back....do you concur? Or should I snap 'em up?

Muchos Nachos

La Guv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guvnor, I can't really advise on the comparison as I only have experience of the Denali. One of the <various sized>ZOOKEEPERs will probably give you that comparison. I know that SMALLZOOKEEPER does consider the Denali the best ski mountaineering boot on the market at present, and in my case would still put me in a Denali, but (surprise, surprise Wink ) at least a size smaller than the pair I do have Shocked . BTW I aim to do one week touring a year and 3-4 weeks general (mostly off-piste) skiing.

What I can say though is that I use the Denalis for pretty much all my on-snow skiing (although I'd probably use a mainstream boot for racing). I find it plenty stiff enough for everything I want to do, although I probably try to ski 90/10 off/on-piste, but do pretty much cane it when I am on piste. Switching from a stiffer mainstream boot to the Denalis does require a slight change of technique - and a beneficial one too - requiring me to be more aware of the pressure changes placed on the boot cuff, and also being smoother with them, so crushing the boot less. The tightness you have the ankle strap makes a huge difference to the stiffness - and I was worried it wasn't stiff enough until I sussed the difference tightening it an extra notch or so made (also if you think it's particularly soft, double-check that you're not still in uphill mode Embarassed ). You don't want to do that too much though or you end up with very sore shins since the cuff doesn't come nearly so far up the leg and you get quite a lot of pressure on the shin when correcting for lumps in the snow if the cuff is too resistant. The gain in comfort and security of footing walking around the resort at the beginning/end of the day is worth it alone! And flipping the boot into walk mode does make walking so much easier if you have occasional treks to get to that untracked stash.

The other boot to look at may be the Scarpa Tornado. This is pitched more at the kind of skiing it sounds as if you do - on-piste with the occasional uphill forays. It also has a replaceable sole (plain/cleated), although they sort of screwed up this years version, but I am reliably informed they are getting it right for next year.

I of course have touring bindings on my main skis (Fritschi Freeride). These work and release fine with normal DIN settings, and until recently I could see no reason to not have them on any all-mountain ski. They are now though starting to get a bit loose at the heel, and are not as rigid as they once were - I've skied them about 8 weeks total. I think the new version (Freeride+)are supposed to be a bit more solid...I think Alan Craggs (or is it parlor?) has a pair.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, On the head mate, poly-ester over poly prop-ylene. Tornado, Endorphene, Adenaline, Areo Free-ride, check foot shape and off you go, binding selection too. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guvnor, following the advice of SZK and another outfit in Chamonix (yes there are some wink ) I bought a pair of Garmont Adrenalins on my way to the EOSB. I too ended up with a size smaller (26 v 27) than my downhill boots, which are Technica Icons (not the carbon version, the one below that). The Fristchi Explore bindings on my Aztecs were fortunately adjustable to the shorter length sole, otherwise no problem with using the "touring" soles - although Garmont throw in a one-piece "flat" sole as well if you prefer to fit that.

A couple of hours to get used to them and I was happy to ski on and off piste feeling much as usual. I haven't done any uphill in them yet but after a day's skiing they were not causing me any foot grief.

It was when I changed back to my Icons the next morning that I discovered that 50 deg rocky couloir in the middle of Val Thorens which no-one had noticed before Embarassed Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alan Craggs, did you fall in the gutter? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs wrote:
Guvnor, following the advice of SZK and another outfit in Chamonix (yes there are some wink ) I bought a pair of Garmont Adrenalins on my way to the EoSB. I too ended up with a size smaller (26 v 27) than my downhill boots, which are Technica Icons (not the carbon version, the one below that). The Fristchi Explore bindings on my Aztecs were fortunately adjustable to the shorter length sole, otherwise no problem with using the "touring" soles - although Garmont throw in a one-piece "flat" sole as well if you prefer to fit that.

A couple of hours to get used to them and I was happy to ski on and off piste feeling much as usual. I haven't done any uphill in them yet but after a day's skiing they were not causing me any foot grief.

It was when I changed back to my Icons the next morning that I discovered that 50 deg rocky couloir in the middle of Val Thorens which no-one had noticed before Embarassed Crying or Very sad

No there are not, just pretenders. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Graham, SZK, Alan,

Thanks for the advice....looks like I may continue on this quest, with a view to purchasing the most comfortable/suitable then....assuming the colour matches my jacket, of course....

Guvnor
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor, best of luck (the Garmonts are orange, at least the ones I have are). On your ski question, my preference is to go as light as possible - when off-piste you have enough stuff to carry around without lugging big heavy planks as well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I missed getting a pair of touring boots at the end of last season and found this thread again while doing some 'search' research.

Garmont Adrenaline V Scarpa Denali is one thing, but I there are a lot of other boots in these manufacturers stables. I am a bit confused by the number of boots which appear to do pretty much the same thing and being a pretty green novice, I would appreciate some advice on how to shortlist between;

Garmont - Adrenaline, Dynamite, Endorphine Mg-g-fit, Mega lite, Mega Ride.... (Frosty - keep it stum!)

Scarpa - Denali, F1 Thermo, Spirit 3, Tornado Thermo.....

........or maybe guide me to where I can get some more information.

I want a boot that I can wear all mountain. I ski approximately 70% off-piste, 30% piste. I use Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings. When it comes to boots, I don't mind spending as long as I get comfort and top quality. I currently have HEAD boots with Comformable liners and sole. Is it also possible/advisable to have comformable liners in touring boots?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Is it also possible/advisable to have comformable liners in touring boots?

Yes and Yes. snowHead

Best go see one of the Zookeepers..... The variation with the boots is about how good they are going uphill (i.e. light and soft) vs how good they are going down (stiff and heavy) - just look at the diffence in weight and contruction between the F1 and the Adrenaline !

As with Alpine boots, the best model will be the one that fits - for me (in Tele boots anyway) - Scarpa fit me and Garmont don't.. so I'd probably look at Scarpa.

It terms of 'how heavy/how stiff' - dunno....as you have Freerides I guess you'll stay with your alpine boots for lift served, so why not go for a light(ish) pair and make skinning easier ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC, what sort of touring are you planning to do? If it's just an hour or so from the top of a lift, you needn't restrict yourself to touring boots IMO. I can skin perfectly comfortably in a pretty stiff pair of Atomic boots (one level off race boots). I would have thought that your current boots would also be fine. Just make sure you undo the buckles and power strap

If you're doing proper daytours and longer, touring boots are a good idea but I'll defer to the Zookeepers or CEM who are more up with the state of the art than me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, Thanks for the basics - I will have a look at the various boot descriptions again. The slight problem with some manufacturers descriptions IMO, is that they forget to just give the basic information in advance of the marketing blurb. You have given it in two short sentences. I suppose I am really using this exercise to get it clear in my own mind exactly what I need.

I am hoping that the touring boot that I purchase, will be my only skiing boot. I like to travel light in any event and my HEAD boots, while still in good working order, will reach the end of their useful life in a season or so. I will walk/skin about 2 km to a chair lift each morning, so really it's one 'all-round' boot that I seek. I quite agree that the best one is the one that fits. Thats really how I got my last boots. I didn't have any manufacturers or brands in mind - the bootfitter (Jo-Jo Nevada Sports) fitted them to my feet!

The Zookeepers would be good. I am based in Northern Ireland & La Roche which makes access a bit more difficult, but I must check out the feasibility.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, Thanks too. I have used my 'ordinary' boots in the past. It's just with coming to the time to replace these, I am looking to get a more 'all-round' boot if that's possible. I really haven't got a clue about touring boots - hence trying to learn & understand.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, it depends a bit on your taste in boots. my understanding is that it is still the case that no touring boot is anywhere near as stiff as a stiff alpine boot - certainly the denali xt's which I have are nowhere near as stiff as my atomics. whether you care is another matter! not everyone likes a stiff boot

if it's walking on the flat, i'd say this pushes you more in favour of touring boots. the vibram sole will be useful and the rocker on the sole will make walking much more comfortable
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC, So are you looking for something ultra-light to go on dedicated touring lightweight skis, mounted with Dynafit bindings, planning to to a million vertical meters uphill per hour ? Shocked

Or are you looking for something to go with normal weight kit, that will be suitable for the odd day and multi-day tour ? snowHead

If the second is the most likely - you'll probably want to look at the heavier end of the market (Denali, Tornado etc). Mrs Ski uses Denalis - and with the later XT tongue they ski really well (she tells me).

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy