Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head i.Magnum or V8?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I'm trying to choose skis and there is a couple of alternatives left but it's too hard to make the final decision. That's why I had to register on Snowheads.

So, you fellow snowheads, I need your help!

I am an advancing intermediate skier, 180 cm and 73 kg. I prefer red slopes and can ride most of them confidently. However, if there are steeper, blackish parts in them I take them with caution. My goal is not to charge hard all the time (which I still like to do every now and then) but rather to have a more technical, finesse looking approach. I'm trying to learn a beautiful and good feeling carving technics but I don't want to carve all the time and everywhere.

I have tried Head Supershape i.Magnum and liked it much. In theory they may be too powerful skis to me (?) but i found them to carve very nicely in gentle slopes at moderate speed. I was able to ride them just fine in steeper slopes, too. All day long, no problems. Only on icy patches I had some difficulties but that could have been the case with any ski. After the day I wrote down to my notes "Excellent ski. Worth of buying."

Why don't I have already bought them? Because of there is Head V-Shape V8. Seems that I won't have possibility to test them so I have to rely on reviews only. Some say that they are spot on regarding to my preferences and some say they may be "too" easy and flexy. Any opinions on this dilemma? What should I do? Is it better just go with Magnum which I already know or choose V8 that might be even better for my progression - or might not.

Bonus question: What about Elan Amphibio 16 and Salomon S/Max 10? I have tried Elan and they behaved nicely in skidding turns and easy to carve when I had enough speed. In low speed carving they didn't work so well. May be my inadequate technics, though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I enjoyed the Magnums when I hired them - and they have imv a lot of headroom, so are suitable from decent intermediate up to expert.

Unless you can test your various options - My opinion is that you should go with what you've tried.

BTW. Welcome to the madness.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There aren't may skis that grip and carve as well as I-Magnums (I.Speed does similar things). Unlike many others they do actually grip properly on boiler plate. If you have loved them already I'd get a pair - nothing does their job better, except a race slalom ski, but they won't forgive mistakes !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi - I have had a pair of I magnums for 4 ish years now- can’t tell you how the witchcraft of Kers works- but I love them!! Am same height and weight as you and my days of mad steep blacks are over- I find them very forgiving, but when you want to push them hard on a nice wide uncrowded red - they really respond!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pierresel wrote:
Am same height and weight as you

What length are you on? I tried 170 and think it was ok.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jiisnow wrote:
Pierresel wrote:
Am same height and weight as you

What length are you on? I tried 170 and think it was ok.

170 sounds right to me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep 170s for me!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Things have moved on from the Head i-supershape series. New for 2020/21 season is/was the e-supershape series covering the same models ie. Magnum, Titan, Speed etc. I got wind of the impending change last Feb when I was out in Tignes for most of the season.
I went to the Mountain Story shop in Tignes who sells lots of Head ski's & the owner spoke to Head who sent him a pair of the new 'next season' e-Magnums for me to test.
I've bought the last three versions of the Magnums (excluding when it was purely a graphics change) so you could say I am already a convert.
The new 'e' version blew me away with it's super smooth performance & lack of any noticeable vibrations. This apparently stems from the EMC technology which is certainly not just a marketing gimmick.
After a day on test I asked the owner of the shop if he would speak to Head again with a view to selling me a pair before they came on the market as I still theoretically had 6 weeks of the season left. They kindly agreed & two days later on the saturday they arrived at the shop. That evening France went into lockdown so I still haven't managed to use them !
The day after I tested them the owner of the shop also tried them out & spoke very highly of the ski comparatively, as he'd always sold Magnums.
I'm 71kg & 172cm tall. I'm an advanced skier & all my previous Magnums have been 163cms. However, as the new e-magnum was a pre-production model they were only available to test in 170cms. The performance was that good I didn't even notice the extra 7cms length & so upsized & ordered the 170cms.
If you liked the i-magnum then you'll defo like the e version. Buy it, don't even bother testing it, it's absolutely fantastic.
Head gave me a 20% discount off RRP but you can get them cheaper online now than what I paid, for obv reasons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy