Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal agenda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Like so many others, I am day dreaming about options for better times. One of my more frequent daydreams is as follows:

We have a group of 4 male skiers, 2 strong adults, 1 decent adult and one almost decent young man (my son and I, my BIL and a friend). Based on the group, we would be mostly on piste.

We would want to do an air BNB or a half board hotel, likely based in Mayrhofen (although open to other suggestions) Seeing as we will all want to partake in the Austrian Apres, we want to make good use of public transit (although a car rental from airport to resort and back, may be the cheapest option based on 4 adults).

My thought was that we would stay close to a transit hub and (assuming an Air BNB) a grocery store. Food and supplies for the evening meal are purchased each morning via a short walk in trainers before the lifts open. Transit (bus and /or train) is used to get to the days chosen ski area. After a day on snow, we can all have some fun in the local version of the Mooserwirt with no concerns about who will be driving. Transit home, eat, sleep repeat.

Looking at the ski options, likely two days in Mayrhofen and split the remaining four days between the other two major options and Hintertux. Day by day location decisions would be influenced by the weather (of course).

So, never having been to the area, which apres bars are the best and do they also make sense as a finish point for a days skiing?

What are the best starting points each day?

Assuning we do a day in Hintertux, is the Arena or Hochzillertal better for one big day rather than two? Or, does Mayrhofen only merit one day?

How efficient and complete is the public transit? For instance, if we choose to do two days in the Arena, could we start one day at the Sonnwendkopfbahn in order to ski the Eastern area of the Arena leaving the Western end for a second day?

Timing? We will avoid half term so are basically looking at late January or early March.

I have been reading lots of previous posts and threads on the Ziller region and there are clearly a few SH's who know the area very well. Hopefully this broad outline will inspire some of those experts to share some specific gems of knowledge. Actually, please feel free to tell us exactly where to go and what to do with ourselves Very Happy

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's enough skiing in Mayrhofen for a week let alone a day. But if you want to ski other resorts in the Zillertal valley you can take the train - free with a lift pass. The trains terminate in Mayrhofen so if you want to go to Hintrrtux you'll need to take a taxi or bus. The bus takes 30 to 40 mins and is free. If you go to to the glacier there are great views from the top and there's a really nice ski route, the Schwarz Pfanne which takes you down into Tux. Best bars for apres are probably the Bruce n Stadl and the Ice bar next to the Penken lift station. Good bars for later in the evening include Mo's and the bar in the Strass Hotel both of which often have live music. The Scotland Yard is also popular.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @corky. Nice handle by the way! A PB fan I assume?

I expect that Mayrhofen is large enough for a week. But for us, part of the draw of Europe is the exploration factor. We just love the multiple valley experience and the sense of travel. With proper winter weather and fresh snow we would be much less likely to visit the other areas. But, if we get a week of sun and great visibility, a travelling we will go. The Bruck'n Stadl looks great and given the chance we would try out the others too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@xtr, Not sure what PB is. My username is my nickname from my school days. It kind of rhymes with my Irish surname.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Corky,

Sorry, "PB" was for Peaky Blinders. Birmingham...Corky is a character on the show......

We are watching the last season now having tried several times to get through the first couple of episodes. Front of mind as a result I suppose.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I do watch PB but my username predates it by many years
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@xtr, o have a love hate feeling for Hintertux. It’s incredible for snow for most of the year, but it can be very bleak and cold. Only go if the forecast is zero or light wind and good sun. Otherwise avoid.

Mayrhofen is certainly good for a few days or a week. Bruck n stadl is the best for crazy apres and then post dinner we like the Scotland Yard. Eat at the Edelweiss, Italian on the high street or the steak place on the high street.

The Zillertal arena is great and it’s worth skiing the Zell side from top down to the valley in the morning. However if you wish to ski to a Gerlos and back then keep an eye on the clock. It takes a fair amount of time. As such driving to Gerlos and then spending the day over that side makes for a good day out. If you are relying on public transport then don’t bother and just plan the day. The pistes on the Gerlos side are really nice and some great long runs. You should be able to ski to Konigsleitenspitze and back in one day easily with some excursions or repeat runs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kaltenbach and Fugen is lovely area. Best accessible offpiste in the valley. I like the Runs down to Fugen the best. Nice long pistes. Enjoy the apres bars at the bottom of Kaltenbach before getting the train back to Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Matrix, I'd agree with your view on Hintertux. It can be very bleak. As glaciers go its pretty good but the skiing isn't particularly interesting. It also brings unhappy memories for me as my wife got injured on it, with a full ACL tear, a partial MCL tear and two fractured bones. At least she got a nice helicopter ride.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy