Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best apres sledging in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Before we had the kids I remember having a great laugh numerous evenings throwing myself down a moonlit, purpose built sledging circuit - obviously doing my utmost to be the fastest and usually being told off by the Germans who would, I quote, tell me there are "no medals".........

Now I'm a responsible mum, I'd like the kids (now that they are old enough) to have a bit of this fun when we can next go skiing but I don't know which resorts are the best at offering this. French resorts ideally. Any thoughts - thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kettonskimum, I've only done one so no real comparison so I can't compare to any other resorts, but we did the toboggan run in Val Thorens in 2019 (essentially a sledging run!) and it was absolutely epic! It's 6km long, and the longest in France I believe and it was both hilarious and absolute carnage (in a good way). There were about 9 of us doing it, with ages ranging the young ones at 7, to 12/13 year olds, to 18 year olds, up to us parents. The 7 year old was a bit scared after a big crash, so for the second half of the run he jumped into my sledge and came down with me - but everyone who was a bit older, absolutely love it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When i was leaning to board, i used to sledge on my board down the ski road
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sledging a lot more dangerous than skiing. My son, who's done some daft things on skis and got away with it, broke his ankle very badly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In March 2000 I went sledging with Evolution 2 from La Rosiere down to the hamlet of La Miror just above Sainte Foy village where we were taken to a small restaurant cellar next door to the Hotel La Monal run by a slightly inebriated chef for a typical Savoyard dinner . Ended up getting in a right mess even my friend who ended up in a river enjoyed it with his clothes drying by the fire , it was a great night . Total vertical of about 600m in the dark with head torches and moonlight .

My love affair with this area stared that week .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes has the Palafou. About 3 and a half is. €8 All in. Only after the lifts shut. Pretty much carnage/ace fun as Val T.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I phoned my sister this evening, she's fallen of the sledge in the park this afternoon and injured her shin Shocked . CG Aged 51 and 3/4.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Sledging a lot more dangerous than skiing. My son, who's done some daft things on skis and got away with it, broke his ankle very badly.

nasty things broken ankles.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve only ever done the 2km one in Megeve & I’ve never been so exhausted in my life, utterly knackered
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kettonskimum, If you're feeling brave you could have a go on this - https://en.la-plagne.com/explore-the-multitude-of-activities-on-offer/plunge-into-the-heart-of-winter/bobsleigh-skeleton-sled
Probably the best purpose built luge track in France.

We're thinking of having a go on the Bob raft this February as it will be a change from Cross country skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel has a good night track. Bubble from 1850 takes you up to first stop on Jardin Alpin and then it's down the piste to 1850 then through the tunnel onto a dedicated luge track all the way down to 1550. It's really good fun and pretty fast especially the first half.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The one at Courchevel is mental Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Switzerland, rather than France: The luge run in the Verbier 4 Vallées from Savoleyres to La Tzoumaz is about 10 kms from 2354m down to 1500m. Bad enough on a toboggan, but they also do it on snow VTTs as well. I think the key is to have proper walking boots on, not ski boots, and a decent luge: Although a plastic sledge is CHF 10 for the day, the much more robust 'classique' wooden sledge is CHF 15 for the day and a 'sport' sledge is CHF 30. As far as I can see from watching people go down, the wooden sledges are far more controllable than the plastic ones. A typical video:

http://youtube.com/v/1bnt8cYoIaE

Apart from the first 200m and a couple of other smaller sections, it's mostly separate to the skiing pistes, so you're mostly not sharing the run with skiers. And the consensus also seems to be that going down head-first is a really bad idea.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
@kettonskimum, ... we did the toboggan run in Val Thorens in 2019 (essentially a sledging run!) and it was absolutely epic! It's 6km long, and the longest in France I believe and it was both hilarious and absolute carnage (in a good way).

I second that. We did the sledge run in Val T last winter and it was fantastic! The descent took 45 minutes and we really picked up some speed. Very Happy Very Happy

It all felt very safe, however, as the track is
(in most parts) like a bobsleigh run, with built up walls.

I'd definitely recommend it! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy