Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach Hinterglemm - so many questions?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I realise there’ll be a big range but what does a typical dinner cost in Saalbach-Hinterglemm?

Nothing fancy, mid range restaurant, say 2 courses with a couple of beers or bottle of house wine?

What about mid range 1 course, 1 drink lunch on mountain?

@PeakyB, when I was last able to visit a restaurant, the price of a main course was between 10 and 20 euros. A pizza would be around 10 euros. A typical pasta/spare ribs/mixed grill type dish would be 15-17 euros. A steak would be in the 20s.
A starter or dessert would typically be around 4-6 euros.
A beer would be 4-5 euros. A glass of wine 3-4 euros.
Up the mountain you can get a filling single course plus drink for 10-15 euros. I normally go for a gulasch soup for about 6-7 euros, and occasionally splash out on a half grilled chicken for about 10 euros.
As we’re here all season we often eat in Bobby’s Pub, where the evening plat du jour (or “Tageshit” as they call it in this part of the world) costs between 6-9 euros. It’s usually pretty good too - tasty and a generous helping. The spare ribs on a Wednesday, and the Thai chicken curry are my favourites.
A draught half litre of beer in Bobby’s will set you back less than 4 euros. And there’s plenty of entertainment for kids in there, separate from the bar area - including ten-pin bowling.
Mrs TT enthuses about the burgers, served with salad accompaniment, for about 5-6 euros - ditto kebabs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar, I know I’m probably a cheapskate compared with your good self, but I don’t know how you get to €100, even in Del Rossi, which is not the cheapest restaurant in Saalbach. I don’t think that Mrs TT and I have ever spent that much, even when lashing out on king prawns or pepper steaks.
I can’t remember generally spending more than €20 on a main and would regard €25 as pushing the boat out. €16-€18 would buy a typical, mid-priced main course for us.
Something like an ice cream, or a pancake, or an apfelstrudel would be in single figures. Drinks would typically cost around 4 euros each. You obviously must have a refined taste in wine!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, Laughing must be the wine!! We do have two small beers to start that probably pushes it over the edge
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@radar, it’s rare for us to spend more than €15 euros on drinks with a restaurant meal for two. That will buy four drinks, say three spritzers and a beer. We invariably split a dessert between us and usually end up with a bill for the whole meal around €50.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, they do a very nice Zweigelt!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@radar, which vintage? Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, https://shop.mpreis.at/Getraenke/Alkoholische-Getraenke/Weine/Rotwein/Reeh-Zweigelt-Unplugged-KHT.html
Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours, thanks, as always very useful information; reminds me it’s time to turn und oven on too.

Fresh salmon and tuna pasta bake, since you ask, followed by pancakes with home grown raspberries and blueberries, topped with a choice of 3 flavours of ice cream. But I digress.

Yes, gulasch soup is my go to lunch, unless the weather’s closing in, when I might have something more substantial.

Those prices sound reasonable for what I imagine is consistently good quality food.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, €16.90 a bottle Shocked I rest my case! We rarely go above €4 for a very acceptable bottle - invariably less than €3 from Lidl, Hofer or Billa - or even sometimes MPreis. One of the benefits of living in Austria.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yes, gulasch soup is my go to lunch, unless the weather’s closing in, when I might have something more substantial.

@PeakyB, you would do well to find something more substantial than a gulasch soup at the Hecherhuette - full of big lumps of steak in a thick, spicy sauce! (Followed by one of their extra potent Jagatees!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@radar,
Quote:

@PeakyB, I am confused, at what other time would anyone have dinner?

Very Happy Just that for mature folks from the Midlands northwards (as far as the border with Scotland) Dinner was 12.30-13.30ish and Tea from about 17.30-19.00, followed by a snacky Supper about 21.00, if you were lucky ;-

Anyway, thanks for information and names of favourite places. If that €100 example is for 1 person I doubt I’ll be rushing there. Maybe for a special occasion splurge.

Good to hear of shock-free lunch bills. I’m used to hunting out the best value in EK and 3V though. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, the meal is very definitely for two.

The Hungry Deer does a fabulous pulled pork burger

Thanks for enlightening me, never knew.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@radar,
Quote:

Thanks for enlightening me, never knew.

I think it’s terminology that’s gradually fading away. First time I decided to indulge in a High Tea, around 1600 hours, in a remote part of Scotland, I arrived expecting to order scones, jam and cream. I waddled out an hour later having wolfed down a mixed grill with chips.

€50 per head for a feast sounds a lot better thanks. Pork burger, whether pulled or pushed, sounds interesting and a change from the usual.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The Hungry Deer does a fabulous pulled pork burger

+1 for the Hungry Deer, run by a lovely Dutch family, and with the added bonus of the Crazy Deer, certainly one of Saalbach’s best bars, downstairs. I can also recommend their spare ribs - a huge helping with accompaniments for around €17 (from memory).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 16-02-21 19:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, @PeakyB, plus they have proper Dutch chip mayonnaise !!
snow report
A plate of chips on the menu of the Breiteckalm in Zell is listed as "Dutch Pasta".
snow conditions
@PeakyB, in a typical week of self-catering, you could obviously mix things up, with for example a couple of evenings of cheap and cheerful (but good) pub grub in Bobby’s, two or three banquets in one of the more upmarket restaurants, a pizza or two in one of the excellent pizzerias, a takeaway from the Fast Furst (or Bobby’s), and maybe a night of knocking something together in your apartment - hang on, how many nights will you be staying?
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeakyB, in a typical week of self-catering, you could obviously mix things up, with for example a couple of evenings of cheap and cheerful (but good) pub grub in Bobby’s, two or three banquets in one of the more upmarket restaurants, a pizza or two in one of the excellent pizzerias, a takeaway from the Fast Furst (or Bobby’s), and maybe a night of knocking something together in your apartment - hang on, how many nights will you be staying?

That sounds more like eating out rather a lot, than self catering Laughing

We’re very much used to cooking evening meals ourselves when we go skiing, with maybe one take away per week as a treat. And given the price of accommodation for half term week (the later one starting 19th Feb) from today’s searching, I think that’s all we’ll be able to do!
snow report
Quote:

We’re very much used to cooking evening meals ourselves when we go skiing, with maybe one take away per week as a treat.

@Timmycb5, in that case your budget for meals probably won’t exceed what you would normally spend at home. Saalbach has two supermarkets, the Billa and MPreis, and their prices are the same as anywhere else in Austria, not inflated for being in a ski resort.
Before 2016, when the £ was worth over €1.40 euros, we were living like kings and laughing at restaurant bills. Now prices are more on a par.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

We’re very much used to cooking evening meals ourselves when we go skiing, with maybe one take away per week as a treat.

@Timmycb5, in that case your budget for meals probably won’t exceed what you would normally spend at home. Saalbach has two supermarkets, the Billa and MPreis, and their prices are the same as anywhere else in Austria, not inflated for being in a ski resort.
Before 2016, when the £ was worth over €1.40 euros, we were living like kings and laughing at restaurant bills. Now prices are more on a par.

That’s good to know.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours,
Quote:

@PeakyB, in a typical week of self-catering, you could obviously mix things up,

Yes, breakfast is more of a focus for self catering. If prices for dinner are reasonable, as they appear, I’d tend to eat out most evenings.

For a group trip next January we eventually opted for a HB hotel, as I think I mentioned before. Would definitely consider an apartment, or more than one, if it suited group size and preference.

Your own rental apartment wouldn’t have fitted our group in on this occasion and there’s a good chance others will tag on a little later.

From various feedback I’ve picked up I get a strong impression that demand is much higher than usual for next season. Well located comfortable apartments will be snapped up pretty quickly I think.
snow report
Sounds like a great area to visit, does anyone know if there is any cross country skiing and winter walking trails in the area?
snow conditions
@nahdendee, There is some cross country skiing at the end of the valley, haven't met anyone who's used it https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/cross-country-skiing_a_1654

There is organised snowshoeing https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/snowshoeing_a_2586 as well as 140KM of trails https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/winter-hiking_a_1634
snow report
I think that Hochfilzen (between Leogang and Fieberbrunn) is a hotspot for x-country skiing. I drove through there a couple of years ago and it seemed rammed with people following some event..... could have been World Championships! Not really my area of expertise, although I can see the appeal. Try the following links:

https://www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com/en/pital/wi/crosscountry/trails.html
https://www.biathlon-hochfilzen.at/en/
snow report
There is also another Saalbach thread which might be useful for information https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153382&start=80
snow conditions
@nahdendee, @Klamm Franzer, got me thinking there is also some in Zell am See and Kaprun , would involve a couple of buses to get there from Saalbach
ski holidays
Thanks all, will check them out
ski holidays
@nahdendee, there is also cross country skiing in Saalfelden which is part of the Leogang area
https://www.saalfelden-leogang.com/en/region-experience/off-piste/cross-country-skiing/cross-country-skiing-map

From Saalbach it would be a bus to Maishofen then change on to another to Saalfelden
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to gatecrash the thread, but my question relates to the same area. I'm thinking of Leogang for a family holiday next Feb. Have started looking for accommodation, but I'm surprised that so much is already fully booked! Does anyone who know the area have any recommendations? And is Leogang a good base for a mixed ability family group?
snow report
@schifoan, I'm biased as we have a place in Saalbach , Leogang is quite a small place I've only been once, so don't have the best option , the skiing is quite good there are some nice blues and some nice runs off the Asitz , there is a challenging black as well, there are some very nice mountain restaurants at the top where the two cable cars come in.

There is a seasonal thread for Saalbach, Leogang and Fieberbrunn, that you might want to visit and post your question there https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153382&start=120, lots of people on there with better knowledge than me .
ski holidays
Thanks @radar, I'll take a look.
snow conditions
So many questions - actually only one observation - every time I have looked to go there - as a single traveller in the budget/medium price range there has never been any accomodation available. My fault as I always book late but it seems to have become a large resort without sufficient range of accommodation facilities

Sadly, as I have probably given up skiing after missing this season and approaching my middle 60s, and deciding that winter warmth is preferable, I will probably never get there now in winter. There are so many other wonderful places within and outside Austria to visit in the summer, including the UK.
snow report
@schifoan, Although I (and all my friends who have apartments available to rent) live in Saalbach, I am very familiar with Leogang. In fact it was in Leogang that I originally stayed and organised group chalet holidays for a few years - but a long time ago.
It used to be a relatively cheap, quiet, undeveloped back door into the wonderful Ski Circus, accessed by a slow, two-stage chair lift. However it has now been developed by the construction of hotels, apartment blocks, and two gondolas: the Asitzbahn and the Steinbergbahn. It really has been totally transformed over the past thirty years.
For beginners it has two respectable nursery slopes, one next to the base stations of each of the said gondolas. I have no doubt that the ski schools, rental shops, etc. are also more than adequate.
Improvers will find the bowl beneath Grosse Asitz (served by three fast, modern chair lifts), and the highly acclaimed Asitz and Steinberg top to bottom runs, to offer plenty of scope. Better skiers (good intermediates and advanced) will find it possible to explore the whole 270km of the Ski Circus, and also Zell am See (which is also now linked via the village of Viehhofen).
Saalbach is easily reached from Leogang, and, although the far reaches of the Glemm Valley - Hinterglemm and beyond - are quite a trek from Leogang on skis, it’s possible to considerably shorten the journey by using the ski buses which run up and down the main Glemm valley at 20 minute intervals.
The journey from Leogang to the Schönleitenbahn gondola station can be done on skis in under an hour, and then the ski bus can get you to Hinterglemm in a further 20 minutes. Having said that, it’s possible for a reasonable skier to ski from Leogang and then round the whole Glemm valley, including Hinterglemm, and back again in five hours, and for an even fuller day (6/7 hours) a tangent to Fieberbrunn can be included.
By researching the ski bus times it’s also possible to do a “mini-circuit” from Leogang to Saalbach, then Fieberbrunn, and back by bus to Leogang (or possibly the other way round).
The Steinberg run at Leogang is a beautiful, 5km blue run down through the forest - probably one of the most scenic runs in the whole area.
The Asitz run was once described by a ski journalist as one of the best easy/intermediate pistes in Europe. The top half is easy and wide, and it then splits into blue, red and black options to the bottom.
Some of the best mountain restaurants in the whole Ski Circus are at Leogang: the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbräu, Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei, the Stöcklalm, the Forsthofalm, and the Kralleralm - all well worth a visit.
There is a good toboggan run (from the Forsthofalm), weekly hut-jumping at the Kralleralm, musical events at the Hendl Fischerei, and even an impressive zip wire right across a valley (the “Flying Fox”).
The only negatives are that the Leogang slopes are predominantly north-facing, which is great in late season, but it can be cold and a bit gloomy in early season, when the sun is low. Also the après-ski is much more limited than Saalbach and Hinterglemm (which may not bother you). Also it’s obviously out on a limb, rather than centrally located in the ski area.
Those latter two points are my primary reasons for preferring nowadays to be at the “front door” of the Ski Circus, but it’s nonetheless an excellent choice for a family ski holiday if you can find conveniently located accommodation at a reasonable price. Location is as ever important, as Leogang is a spread out village. You really need to be near one of the two gondolas, as the village centre is actually a few minutes drive away.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive report! I'm increasingly thinking Leogang sounds perfect for us. We don't need much après-ski - just somewhere to have a beer or Glühwein at the end of the day. With children I've realised that although a resort might have loads of great runs, the most important ones end up being the 'local' ones, as we don't always get the time to go too far afield. We just put them in ski school for the mornings, so we always have to be back by lunchtime. However, it sounds like the Leogang runs sound good, and hopefully we'll do some exploring in the afternoons all together too. My mum usually comes with us, and she's an extremely cautious skiier, so although she's not a beginner, she is happy to find just a couple of nice runs she feels safe on and will stick to them for the whole week. My husband is a very good snowboarder, but is actually pretty happy just to be on the mountain, so luckily isn't fussy! The children have now had 4 years of lessons and are already amazingly confident to ski anywhere! So, I feel I always have such a wide range of needs to cater for when choosing a resort! For us, the fact that Leogang is a little bit out on a limb is probably a plus, as I'm guessing it will be a bit quieter. As we're forced to always go in Feb half-term, I definitely prefer to be somewhere not too rammed. The hut-jumping sounds brilliant! And from looking at the map, I can see you're right about being near one of the gondolas.
snow conditions
@schifoan, @tatmanstours, is the Saalbach guru Very Happy the three restaurants at the top the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbräu, Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei, are amongst our favourites, at Mama Thresl’s the rotisserie chicken is fabulous and not to be missed!
latest report
@schifoan, I wouldn’t say it will necessarily be quieter than the rest of the Ski Circus. Unlike Saalbach and Hinterglemm, there is a railway station at Leogang. Also, as you drive up the Glemm valley towards Saalbach, the first Ski Circus gondola station that people reach (with big, free car parks) is the Schönleitenbahn, which whisks you up to a peak midway between Saalbach and Leogang. So there is probably at least a 50% chance that day trippers will head towards Leogang, especially in view of its undoubted attractions - good runs, good snow, and great restaurants.
However there is no reason why you should not find it a good base for a family group, especially if the U.K. half term doesn’t clash with the holiday weeks of Salzburgerland, Bavaria, and the Netherlands (I haven’t checked, but there are websites that give the dates of all the school/national holidays.)
One way to appreciate very quiet slopes is to delay your final descent until the lifts have stopped and the slopes have cleared. We used to stop for an extended hot choc/schnapps session at the top, before setting off down the empty slopes of the Asitz.
From what you say, your children will probably want to explore in the direction of Saalbach and Hinterglemm. The Austrian ski schools tend to be all day, I.e. 10.00-12.00 and 13.00-15.00, and they look after your children during the lunch hour. So it’s worth checking this up with the Leogang ski schools. You might consider enrolling them for three days (although you may find that there is not as much difference in price between three days and six days as you might think).
Looking back on the holidays I spent based in Leogang, I think that the one thing that I now appreciate the most (about living in Saalbach) is that I don’t have to contend with the mad dash for the last lift (the Poltenlift), which always closed at 4.15pm, and probably still does. In those days there was always at least one early intermediate in our group with tired legs, who kept falling over, and I remember having to ski ahead and plead with the lift attendant to keep the lift open. If you miss that last lift back to Leogang, you’re stuck in the wrong valley, and it’s an expensive taxi ride round the mountains (probably around €100). Anyone with accommodation in the main valley (Saalbach or Hinterglemm) is okay to stay at Leogang until around 3.30pm (later if living in the lower part of the valley around Vorderglemm or Viehhofen), and will then have a leisurely 5km final run from the Wildenkarkogel with no more lifts to catch.
One plus point of staying in Leogang, mentioned to me by a ski instructor over there today, is that all the (excellent) play areas for young children are completely free of charge, which makes it ideal for families with nursery age kids.
I agree with @radar, about the grilled chicken at the Hendl Fischerei. It’s actually pretty famous and is one of the reasons that we call that restaurant “the Chicken Man”. It’s been called, possibly with some justification, “the coolest restaurant in the Alps”.
ski holidays
@radar, @tatmanstours (sorry, I don't seem to be able to tag properly!) thanks again for your help. The food options sound amazing! Good to have my incorrect assumptions put right too. I hadn't thought about it being the first place people reach, even though the train station is one of the reasons I picked it! It still sounds a great option for us, I just can't find the right accommodation. Viehhofen seems to have more available - I'm guessing that's not such a great base though maybe?
snow report
@schifoan, The way to tag is to if tap on the name it will put the tag into the message Very Happy

Viehhofen has the new link over to Zell and a small learning area, it’s at the end of one of the most scenic runs in the area, which unfortunately isn’t always open. To get on to the Ski Circus you would need to take the ski bus up to the Schonleiten lift or you can change onto the main ski bus and head up the valley. It is a bit out of the way but still a popular place to stay.

There is a good restaurant there Die Schmiede which we have been meaning to try, there is also another hotel restaurant that is highly rated and the name escapes me at the moment, @tatmanstours, Will know there and give you a more detailed info.
snow report
@schifoan, and @radar, we stayed for a week in Viehhofen and liked it. It’s a “sleepy hollow”, compared with Saalbach, but had a nice, peaceful, villagey, traditional atmosphere and a couple of good restaurants where we felt more like special guests than in the more cosmopolitan and touristy areas up the valley.

Whilst historically it was regarded as a place to stay if you had a car and didn’t mind driving for five minutes up to the Schönleitenbahn, or for slightly longer up to Saalbach or Hinterglemm, its attraction as a base is now in the ascendancy. Since the construction of the Zell am See Xpress, providing direct access to the Zell ski area from Viehhofen, the regularity of the ski buses between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn has been doubled from every 20 minutes to every 10 minutes, at least during the height of the season.

It had been announced that a new gondola was to be constructed this coming summer, in the other direction from the Zell am See Xpress bottom station, linking Viehhofen to the Schönleiten area of Saalbach’s ski area. That project has of course probably been set back by the pandemic, but when it happens, it will completely transform Viehhofen, which will then be fully integrated into the Ski Circus.

In its favour, Viehhofen is at least in the Glemm valley, so easily accessible from anywhere in the main ski area by ski bus, regular post bus, or taxi. On the other hand, as radar says, the only ski run leading back to it (piste 168 - 7km of scenic bliss, and many people’s favourite run in the whole area) is too often closed. That is set to change, as the projected new gondola will bring with it a new reservoir and the installation of snow cannons, but for the time being the ski bus from the Schönleitenbahn is still the most practical way of getting back to Viehhofen.

Having said that, a British friend of ours has an apartment in Viehhofen (did have two but sold one) and is well used to using her car to drive between Viehhofen and Saalbach and Hinterglemm. It’s only 10 minutes or so to Saalbach and parking is free with a lift pass.

I would still maintain that Saalbach is the optimum base in the Ski Circus, followed by Hinterglemm, Leogang, Hochalm, Vorderglemm and Viehhofen, in that order.
latest report
@schifoan, although Austrian food sometimes gets a bad press, we love it. There are at least 60 excellent mountain restaurants dotted around the mountains of the Ski Circus. One of the best (probably our favourite) is the Hecherhuette, which is halfway down piste 168, the long run down to Viehhofen. Their steaks, beef medallions, king prawns in chilli and garlic, gulasch soup, and apfelstrudel are highly recommended, as is the extremely potent jagatee.

My comprehensive guide to Saalbach includes recommendations of the best mountain (and village) restaurants. The one that radar is probably thinking of is the Tiroler Buam at Vorderglemm; they have a very highly-rated chef. I noticed recently that they were advertising cookery courses.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy