Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did I buy the right boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

After reading this forum without register and not understanding half of what was going on because I could not see who was posting what, I decided to register myself and even start a new topic!

It is just a new topic about ski boots. My background is that I live in Switzerland and started skiing a few years ago. My first boots were HV boots from Head that were too long and too wide and flex 70. Totally not my size but I did not know that and were OK for learning. Then I went to a bootfitter here with good reputation and bought boots for intermediate level: Lange RX 100 LV, size 27.5 (instead of 29), LV (97mm instead of 102mm) and flex 100. Great ankle support and a big roomy on the forefoot, I was quite happy with them. However, I am a more advance skier now and an instructor recommended me to go for boots with a flex of around 120 (it's not that I am a pro and I weight 71-72 kg, so I don't need 130, but 100-110 could still be a bit too soft).

Then I went to a local shop in the resort given that my previous bootfitter is now charging for any bootfitting work after the initial heating/moulding process. After they measured my feet, they confirm that my size is 27.5, low arch, low instep, medium-narrow foot (2 out of 4 were 1 is narrowest and 4 is widest) and I got two low volume boots recommended: Salomon S/Max 130 and Tecnica Mach1 LV 120. I tried them both, the fit was quite good in both cases, a bit snugger on the Salomons, but I went for the Tecnicas because of the lower flex.

The thing is that I found the Tecnicas quite heavy being from two seasons ago and, above all, I tried them at home flexing them and they put a lot of pressure on the instep, which made my feet go numb. Therefore I went to the shop and returned them before using them in the slopes. The "new" choices I was given were the Salomon again (great fit really, snug on the sides and also on the instep but not so much as with the Tecnica boots) and the new Tecnica Mach1 LV 120 from this season. I ended up going for the Tecnica boots (this season model) because of the flex, again, but I found them a bit too roomy on the instep. The rest of the fit was identical to the old Tecnicas, but the instep was a big difference. Anyway, I thought that this would for sure not make my feet go numb, so I purchased them. Also they are very nice good looking boots compared to the Salomons. Next time I buy boots I'll ask the clerk to put a bag on them so that I am not misguided by the looks.

How was skiing with the boots? The first 2 days they were quite nice. However, after the 3rd day I found there was too much space between my instep and the top of the boot. Then I went back to the shop, regretting I did not order the Salomons in the 120 flex and also that I did not try any boots from Atomic, Nordica, Fischer or Head that might have been a good fit as well. They added a 3mm insole under the custom insole (that basically turns the boot from a 27.5 into a 27) and added a heel frame. I can say that my foot cannot move at all now in the boot. I cannot even curl my toes, which I could before, so although the first day skiing was a bit painful with them, there are no specific pressure points and I suppose they will break in and they will be OK, as it happened with my previous boots as well. They also moved the latches because I was already using the 4th/5th levels (out of 6) when buckling up the the top buckles (or even 5th/6th one day), but I think I will ask them to put them back to the original setting because now they are difficult to buckle up.

So, although I am happy with these changes, I can't stop thinking that removing volume to new boots is not ideal, but rather the contrary and I should have tried with Atomic, Nordica, Fischer or Head (although maybe the bootfitter already saw from my measurements that those were not going to be right for me) or just simply ordered the Salomons in 120.

Any thoughts here, should I just stop thinking about the boots and enjoy the skiing? Would other brand have offered a better fit? (I should have asked this in the shop, I know)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@etsius, this was your first mistake "Then I went to a local shop in the resort given that my previous bootfitter is now charging for any bootfitting work".

To a reasonably experienced skier boot fit and comfort are not exactly priceless but certainly well worth paying extra for. And yes "removing volume to new boots" is far from ideal.

If it was me I would go back to the recommended boot fitter, pay whatever is necessary (within reason obviously) to get the right boot (best go early season when they have a full range). Let the boot fitter run with it, just accurately tell them everything about you and give good feedback during the fitting process. Sell on the pair you more recently bought. Then you will genuinely be able to stop thinking about your boots and enjoy your skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@etsius, Welcome to SHs and well done for lots of detail in your first post.

Where in CH do you live? A good boot fitter is more likely (IME, and from knowing some well known BFs) to prescribe you a boot, rather than giving you options.

(P.S. Boots don't really "break in" unless you've managed to buy some leather ones ... )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both for your replies.

@Layne, that might have been a mistake, but I was recommended by some local friends to go to this local shop, so I decided to give it a try. In any case, I cannot go to my previous bootfitter because, not being a rental shop, they can't open until March (at least) due to the shutdown. In any case, my current boots "in 27" feel quite well for the moment, they did a good job with that, so I will use them at least this month (I don't really have any other option), but it is true that I might not genuinely stop thinking about the boots in the meantime.

@under a new name, I live near Zürich. (OK, then I hope the liners will further adapt to my feet Smile )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@etsius, from how you've described it the local shop doesn't sound great to be honest. I mean the best approach is not to have anything in mind yourself, just let them figure it out. Different boots/manufacturers have different fits and characteristics. It's their job to match the two and then use all the customisable aspects of the boot and the fitting process to further match. If you don't know, and many don't, they should tell you how to put on and do up the boot to ensure there is no "user error". After all that they should feel very good in the shop and there shouldn't be too many surprises on the slopes. If there are any minor issues you go back to the shop and they get addressed. But there shouldn't be heaps or a constant back and forth, unless either the shop or you screwed up in the first place.

As you say it sounds like you are stuck for now, but be happy you can ski Very Happy Cool snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 3-02-21 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, that's true, at least I can ski. I shouldn't complain that much after all!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@etsius, if you only started a few years back and changed to Lange RX 100 LV as advised by a good bootfiter, then your lange should be relatively new, no? If you are circa 75 kg 100flex should be ok.
Plus bootflex is relative to that particular brand’s boots. 100 lange could be 110 salomon, etc. What I mean is that you can not simply compare boot flexes between different makers.

I am 90kg relatively experienced skier and got fitted into 120 flex boot from Atomic (been skiing in 130 before).

I would say use your properly fitted Lange and enjoy the snow
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't worry yourself about other brands, the guys looked at / measured your feet and then shortlisted to 2 brands. Assuming these guys fit boots for a living and it wasn't the local beekeeper who wandered in, they would have gone with those as they best suited your foot shape instep etc.

then they have had to do a bit a work with liners / insole etc to get the best fit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mooney058, Well, the funny thing is that my old bootfitter ended up recommending a boot that was 130 (Nordica GPX IIRC) and the other one that was 100, because it was the end of the season at that's what it was left. He recommended to go with the one that fit best (both were OK but the Lange was better; I found the Nordica too comfy), but he said I could go with 130.

Although I started skiing about 5-6 years ago, I am one of the rare examples of people who starts late on this but then likes it and skis quite aggressively (on groomers). I was already finding the Lange boots quite soft and noisy when flexing them, although they are not old boots, but a bit too soft and I think I would find them a bit roomy on the forefoot after skiing with the Tecnicas after the 3mm sole was installed.

@t4tomo, I hope you are right and the other brands were not as good for my feet, and it is not that they did not have my size on those other models. But I agree that now that the boots seem to fit me well (although maybe they were not the optimal initial fit) I should stop thinking about it and enjoy the skiing part. I just hope I won't be thinking on the Salomons for the next 5 years Smile Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Plus bootflex is relative to that particular brand’s boots. 100 lange could be 110 salomon, etc. What I mean is that you can not simply compare boot flexes between different makers.

this drives me nuts, it's utter nonsense
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@etsius, Welcome to snowheads. I like your last idea. If your latest boots are snug, you feel they give you good control the of the ski, they dont cut your circulation, rub or hurt anywhere by the end of the day then you have pretty much got the ideal boot set up.
If that really is the case then yes, it's time to go skiing. Think about the boots again when they give you a problem.
There's a good general ski technique book called "Ultimate skiing" by a guy called Ron LeMaster (yes he's American). He devotes 20 pages to boot set up and closes the chapter by saying something like. "Boots are critical and it's easy to get fixated by them. But sooner or later you just have to forget about them and go skiing".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ed_sec, Thank you, I will follow your and LeMaster’s advice. I suppose that by the time the shops will open again I will be happy with the boots and will stop thinking about this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just an update on this: the boots are very tight now and skiing with them is really good now. They are maybe too tight and I would need some more space on the toes, so I will try using only the heel frame or only with the 3mm insole, but not both of them at the same time and see how it goes.

I also had the chance to try some Salomon S/Max 120, Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 S and Nordica Promachine 130. The Nordica's were just too roomie on the instep and toe box area.

The other 3 were more similar in terms of fit, and the main difference between them was that the Tecnicas (120) are so much harder than the other two! Actually when I bought them, they felt no softer in flex than the S/Max 130, but I did not pay that much attention to that then.

In terms of fit, the ankle hold of the Tecnicas is good but not perfect, but I have used them for 8 days already. The day I purchased them they felt similar on this to the Salomons. It also happened with my old Langes, very good ankle hold when I bought them and now it is still good but not the same anymore. The Atomics hold my ankles the most, but it feels that it is because they are very snug on the front of the ankle so, if I had bought them, I would have needed some extra space there and I might have lost the support that they provide in that area. They also felt the shortest in length (but OK) and roomier on the toe box than the Tecnicas and the Salomons (also OK). The Salomons are also tight in the ankle (a bit less) and similar to the Tecnicas in the rest, maybe with the lowest instep, with a bit of an awkward feeling on the instep in the right foot.

In the end, I think that all the 3 of them would have been OK and I would have needed some volume reducers eventually with all of them. The Tecnicas are slightly heavier (also much lighter than my old Langes) but they also look better and the Lift Lock system is quite useful. The liner feels slightly comfier and I just miss some flex regulation, because they are actually quite hard, but I also feel I ski better with them than with my old Lange RX 100 LV.

And this is the end of the review Smile

If anyone wants to use this as a reference to compare/buy boots, remember that my feet are not your feet!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 13-02-21 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@etsius, A good read - thanks for posting this info
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just one more thing, the Tecnicas (120) felt harder than the Atomic and Salomon (120 as well) but softer than the Nordicas (130). Only the Tecnicas were used in the mountain.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy