Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are the *lowest* pistes in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The base of the Berchtesgaden (Konigsee) ski area in SE Germany, which can be skied down to is at 630m. I've only been there in the summer, though. Beautiful area next to the border with Austria.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's another one. Bad Ragaz (Pizol) - 509m at the base and there is a black run to the base station at the unfortunately named Wangs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought Oberammergau might be low but it would appear the superbly-named Wanklifte ( Very Happy ) is at 860 metres. Nearby Unterammergau is a touch lower at 820 metres.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LOTA wrote:
I thought Oberammergau might be low but it would appear the superbly-named Wanklifte ( Very Happy ) is at 860 metres. Nearby Unterammergau is a touch lower at 820 metres.

Ah, but the Kolbensattel lift is at 806m! We used that one last February-the lift is brutal and absolutely smashes into you!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
LOTA wrote:

Ah, but the Kolbensattel lift is at 806m! We used that one last February-the lift is brutal and absolutely smashes into you!

Brutal, is right, as I recall from the RAF Basic Winter Training Scheme in 1999!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@musehead, good one - added. It does look nice... all new lifts too.
@PrimroseAndBlue, that's already in the list. Very low indeed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some more French Alps ones: Les Rafforts - 912m, Aillon-le-jeune - 945m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The resort where I learned to ski, Thollon-Les-Memises, is the most Northerly in the French Alps - and the end of the piste at the base lift station is less than 2km from Lake Geneva as the crow flies, so I thought it might be in with a shot at being one of the lowest French Alpine resorts. However, it's at an altitude of 1035m.

Nearby Bernex bottoms out at 995m.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Zell am Ziller run is one of my favourites in the whole valley. But yes agree with others that the morning is the best time to tackle. You can ski non stop from 2500m to the valley floor. I once tackled it at the end of the day and wouldn’t do it again. It gets progressively steeper and steeper. Wonderful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I carnt imagine there are many parts of the Alps lower than 500m ? Plenty of small German ski areas below 400m.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The longest vertical I've done is from the Klein Matterhorn at 3883m down to Valtournenche in Italy at 1524m, so around 2300m vertical and 20km of descent only punctuated by a short chair at Cime Bianche.

The lowest altitude skiing I've done is at the MK fridge which I believe sits at 110m elevation in the Buckinghamshire Alps! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JohnHSmith wrote:
@DB we haven't asked the Freeman in recent years. Dr Bain was the sort of person who would give you the official line (don't over exert yourself, don't go anywhere cold, don't go anywhere high) and then go on to say that if we were going to go anyway, try to make sure that the accommodation is at valley level not too high, so that she spends a fair amount of the day at a lower altitude. She has been to 3,000 metres and skied down but we tend to go mostly to the Dolomites and stay at Sankt Vigilio which is 1200 metres. At the moment that's fine for her.

I can understand your liking for the Dolomites. Smile You might care to consider Alleghe which is at excactly 1000 metres, and has been the venue for the very popular preBBWUW bash for the last few years.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, it is definitely on the radar. The trouble is, so many other places are as well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morzine has to receive a nomination. The town sits at 979m and you can ski right down into the town too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy