Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Voyager - Folding Ski

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, yeah, I had a vague recollection of people ripping into something like this before Laughing snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@mountainaddict, yeah, I had a vague recollection of people ripping into something like this before Laughing snowHead

were you thinking about this...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148569
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder if it has an operating mode where you could just not unfold it and add a Rax attachment?! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think we're probably being a bit snooty about this. If you've ever wrestled a ski bag on the tube at rush hour or even enjoyed a bit of spatial awareness slalom in an airport ( why do people think they can hold their line when you're trailing 2 m of drag bag) it's possible to see the application.

Let's say you're a casual skier who lives in an appartment in Zurich. Grab the case from the wardrobe, hop on the bus to the HBF. Stash the case on the overhead rack and pop a lager while you chill on the train to resort. Simples.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think we're probably being a bit snooty about this. If you've ever wrestled a ski bag on the tube at rush hour or even enjoyed a bit of spatial awareness slalom in an airport ( why do people think they can hold their line when you're trailing 2 m of drag bag) it's possible to see the application.

Let's say you're a casual skier who lives in an appartment in Zurich. Grab the case from the wardrobe, hop on the bus to the HBF. Stash the case on the overhead rack and pop a lager while you chill on the train to resort. Simples.

Totally see the application. I agree.

Just feels that there are other ways of solving that problem with the 1000 euro you could free up by buying ordinary skis.
And that the niche market may be a bit small.

I suspect a small number of buyers will think it is utterly brilliant. But not enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have lugged a 2m ski bag with four pairs through airport and train stations (no doubt leaving a few banged shins in my wake) and squeezed them into rental cars. It certainly has a place and they will sell some. A great thing for those weekend trips with no time to waste in the rental shop? Now if they could only get them to fit into hand luggage.

I probably wont be a buyer but would still love to see them to see the mechanism.

But where is that city backdrop in the video, or faked?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

For those that flydrive. No need to hire a big car. Two people in the smallest car and these in the boot/backseat. Saving lots of money on car hire.

It always tickled me that my old (4 seater) Audi A4 cabriolet had a small detachable bit in the rear seat with a large fabric pocket specifically designed to be able to have skis half in the boot and half in the car!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think these are going to sell quite well. For the people who find them a convinence, the price won't enter the decesion. When lunch in regularily 100€+ there is no difference between €800 and €1500 skis. But there if they fit in the car/plane/train more easily there is. You may be surprised but these folks are a bigger portion of the skier market than you migh think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For flydrive; aren't you still going to need to check in two bags? I can't think you can get under the weight restrictions for skis and all your other kit in one and an extra bag is the same price as sports equipment I think.

I've had a pair of 197's and a pair of 177's together in a Ford Ka rental before now without too much of an issue.

And they're expensive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mosha Marc, possibly, but for the likes of EJ a normal bag is a hell of a lot cheaper, and you can also add weight incrementally up to 32kg.

But then you're average EJ flyer isn't looking to buy a 1300 euro pair of skis to save money on luggage!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
For flydrive; aren't you still going to need to check in two bags? I can't think you can get under the weight restrictions for skis and all your other kit in one and an extra bag is the same price as sports equipment I think.

I've had a pair of 197's and a pair of 177's together in a Ford Ka rental before now without too much of an issue.

And they're expensive.

We often stuff our boots into the carry on case. Makes a big difference to the checked baggage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
.......... and you can also add weight incrementally up to 32kg.

Yes, at £12 per kilo.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

For those that flydrive. No need to hire a big car. Two people in the smallest car and these in the boot/backseat. Saving lots of money on car hire.

It always tickled me that my old (4 seater) Audi A4 cabriolet had a small detachable bit in the rear seat with a large fabric pocket specifically designed to be able to have skis half in the boot and half in the car!

Ski hatches are a pretty common feature?
Although the fabric pocket thing is new to me. We bought a ski bag designed to fit the car. Fits four pairs through the armrest hole with a bit of jiggling.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris wrote:
I think these are going to sell quite well. For the people who find them a convinence, the price won't enter the decesion. When lunch in regularily 100€+ there is no difference between €800 and €1500 skis. But there if they fit in the car/plane/train more easily there is. You may be surprised but these folks are a bigger portion of the skier market than you migh think.

Don't these people have underlings to carry their skis or pick them up from the hire shop?
I've definitely met people who would like them though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:

Although the fabric pocket thing is new to me. We bought a ski bag designed to fit the car. Fits four pairs through the armrest hole with a bit of jiggling.

What would I do with everyone else's quiver? wink
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
.......... and you can also add weight incrementally up to 32kg.

Yes, at £12 per kilo.

£12 per 3kg after the intial 23kg. And tbh 23kg is a fair amount of stuff, although the change in carry on rules may make it tricker to have boots in hand luggage
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
jedster wrote:

What would I do with everyone else's quiver? wink

Just get Jon to bring it, same as always
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

And they're expensive.

Yes but you had to put the back seat down right? I'm not sure it's legal to have skis protruding into the 'cockpit' either. With folding skis you wouldn't have to do this and someone could use the back seat.

Suspect the point where the two skis come together on the base will soon get damaged beyond a full repair though.
ski holidays
I don't like the idea of a ridge at the join. If the base surface had some sort of skin that flexed when the ski was folded it would be better.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

And they're expensive.

Yes but you had to put the back seat down right? I'm not sure it's legal to have skis protruding into the 'cockpit' either. With folding skis you wouldn't have to do this and someone could use the back seat.

Suspect the point where the two skis come together on the base will soon get damaged beyond a full repair though.

you are not going to get three people with ski gear into a small car without a roof rack even if your skis fold!
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Idris wrote:

Don't these people have underlings to carry their skis or pick them up from the hire shop?
I've definitely met people who would like them though.

You are confusing the 50-150€ lunch crowd with the 100-300€ lunch crowd. I am thinking the people who will buy these skis drive their own car, but it's a nice (but not extraordinary) car, which they didn't struggle to buy. Audi A6, not Chauffeur driven Merc.
latest report
jedster wrote:
you are not going to get three people with ski gear into a small car without a roof rack even if your skis fold!

I reckon 3 on a weekend trip, 4 on a day trip. That‘s the duration of most of my ski trips.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

I’d never seen one before. And I’d previously had 2 x A4s and an A6 Avant. I think the fabric pocket was to stop the skis sliding into the gearstick if you had to break hard.
ski holidays
Skis are Skis, even if they fit into a 1 Meter Bag so I can't see the Airlines being slow to close the loophole on That money saving 'Sports Equipment' baggage dodge by Passengers especially with the 'Elan' Logo plastered all over the Bag.
snow conditions
A brief* history of folding skis

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/3120604644709068/

* Have just knocked this together. From memory there are other examples!
snow report
Didn't @dp, turn up at the EosB with a folding ski once? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Didn't @dp, turn up at the EosB with a folding ski once? Toofy Grin

Well he turned up back at the Oxy anyway. Though the " I was just skiing along" remains an implausible story..

Back on the pricepoint I imagine it will sort itself out. Either it'll come down once the early adopter premium has been obtained to something millenials or people with esoteric cars will spend for the convenience ir the product will die. Or it succeeds as some weird ultrapremium underperformung gadget.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it's a good/practical to do it. I'll bet a stiff drink it won't be around for long and Elan will never be honest enough to admit how much they'll have lost on it. For it to be effective the tolerances will have to be really tight which doesn't mix with use/durability as one good impact and it's screwed.

I agree that close tolerances are important - and that in itself costs money when it comes to production. I'd like to see the joint mechanism close up - I wonder if it has some sort of wiper that ensures grit doesn't get in and cause a nasty. Durability is another issue - but probably possible, again at a cost. So even after the early adopters have bough their share, I am not clear how the costs could come down all that much, assuming Elan don't want to lose on each pari of skis sold. So I think that will always be a dear ski, and I'd be worried about them being stolen from outside a mountain restaurant - I can see people trying to bring their skis inside.

And yet they are impressive. I could see that they could be handy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles,
Quote:

I'd be worried about them being stolen from outside a mountain restaurant - I can see people trying to bring their skis inside.

Won't their owners have invested in a portable picnic table? Carried in their Foldable Rucksack? Keeping a watch for thieves through their pocket periscope? All click and collected on their Brompton bike? wink

I'll get my pac a mac.
snow report
DB wrote:
Yes but you had to put the back seat down right?

Yep, well one of them anyway. You put the front passenger in then slide the skis down the right side of the car to prevent them escaping in an emergency.

Quote:
I'm not sure it's legal to have skis protruding into the 'cockpit' either.

Didn't know that, but I'm still not buying a pair.
ski holidays
I’ve thought about the engineering of foldable skis. I think you need them to fold into three. That way the weakness of the joint is not at the point of maximum stress. The big question is, am I joking?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
DB wrote:
Yes but you had to put the back seat down right?

Yep, well one of them anyway. You put the front passenger in then slide the skis down the right side of the car to prevent them escaping in an emergency.

Some small cars don't even have a 60/40 backseat split so you lose the whole back seat for passengers.

Quote:
Didn't know that, but I'm still not buying a pair.

I was considering buying a Fiesta and the guy at ford told me its illegal to have anything obscuring the drivers sight, hamper his/her ability to drive the car or restrict access for a passenger or the operation of an airbag.
I'm not buying a pair either. Just making the point that for some people folding ski's might save them having to buy a larger car or the hassle/cost of renting. If they live near a few ski resorts and ski often it could well be worth it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 4-02-21 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB, there's always those magnetic ski racks you can hire with the car.
ski holidays
or as I said above - the inflateable ones that you carry in your luggage...
snow conditions
I think for people who fly with skis / boots/ helmet etc, these folding skis are too expensive

When I fly , I use a large volume ski bag, into which fits skis / boots/ helmet, ski trousers , clothes etc (1 week)

with the folding skis, I would use a suitcase , to fit above

If memory serves me, ski bag transit is 30e more expensive than a 20kg suitcase (return journey with RY) , so no real saving , if I didn't use my ski bag

There is no question, much easier to wheel the case around airport, chuck into the boot of a hire car etc
snow report
They could have saved a fortune just by asking us what we thought.
latest report
I reckon not many skis have made the Guardians "20 best gadgets" of the year list?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/nov/28/the-20-best-gadgets-of-2021?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy