Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Perfect Euro Ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Just doing some research.

Let's say I had 14 days to ski, and I wanted to hit a bunch of great places.

Any advice on hitting 4-5 different places in a rental car?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are you looking for? Gnar or more cruising looking at beautiful scenery and experiencing atmosphere...or bit of both?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very rare you get a "perfect" ski trip, weather is always a variable you can't control, plus avoiding crowded pistes, lifts etc.

You really want to do on a big area ski pass, save so much faffing. You also dont want to be in a different hotel every night, not least because at certain times hoteliers want a week long booking. Austria - there is Salzburger pass that cover stacks of resorts you could do some from one base, some from another.

I've done a week based in Aosta, doing various Aosta Valley resorts - that was really good and varied.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
What are you looking for? Gnar or more cruising looking at beautiful scenery and experiencing atmosphere...or bit of both?

Good question.

I want great pistes, great food, atmosphere.

I don't care too much for off piste.

I have done Dolomites with Snowheads, and it is fantastic on the birthday bash.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
t4tomo wrote:
Very rare you get a "perfect" ski trip, weather is always a variable you can't control, plus avoiding crowded pistes, lifts etc.

You really want to do on a big area ski pass, save so much faffing. You also dont want to be in a different hotel every night, not least because at certain times hoteliers want a week long booking. Austria - there is Salzburger pass that cover stacks of resorts you could do some from one base, some from another.

I've done a week based in Aosta, doing various Aosta Valley resorts - that was really good and varied.

fair point about the week long rentals....it's not like North America where you can go for three days easily.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Fingersfreddy,
Bourg St Maurice. Should be able to hit half a dozen ski areas from there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fingersfreddy, funnily enough Dolomites was going to be one I'd advise. Austria good for atmosphere, I've only been to Ski Amade so not sure how that fits in.

PdS also provides some great options for just cruising around pistes, especially if you can base yourself reasonably centrally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Fingersfreddy, if you didn't see it at the time @sbooker from Australia did a good trip report 2 years ago on his family's 2 week Euro Ski: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139452&highlight=zillertal

Makes for an interesting read. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fingersfreddy, what time of the season is the other big variable. Do you know?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Fingersfreddy, if you didn't see it at the time @sbooker from Australia did a good trip report 2 years ago on his family's 2 week Euro Ski: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139452&highlight=zillertal

Makes for an interesting read. snowHead

thanks Alastair....hopefully see you next year at BB. Appreciate you linking this.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeakyB wrote:
@Fingersfreddy, what time of the season is the other big variable. Do you know?

Hey Peaky...thinking before or after Birthday Bash.

so, end Jan early feb.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fingersfreddy, end of Jan, before BB, should be bit less crowded and better value than 2nd week of Feb. That said, pent up demand might make next season busier than usual; difficult to know.
Either way, snow should be good in most areas with a good range of skiing at altitude by then.

Austria is closest to your Dollies base. If you're looking for larger ski areas, livelier towns, then St Anton, Saalbach, Ischgl are the obvious places in Austria. But there are many very good options.

Switzerland next closest. I don't know so well, only about 5 trips, (it's expensive) but Verbier and Zermatt would be on my list. A better value back door way into Zermatt is via staying in Cervinia.

France a bit further but still only about 4 hours drive from northern Italy. Val D'Isere, Chamonix the obvious places. If you wanted to give priority to piste skiing and sacrifice apres then Les Arcs is a good option.

All depends how far you want to drive and how long a stay in each place. From my experience of travelling around in January, if prepared to drive short distance to ski lifts, usually no problem booking 2, 3 or 4 nights accommodation at short notice. It gets a lot harder to do that in mid Feb.

Happy planning Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fingersfreddy, and how could I forget the 3 Valleys, with Meribel being centrally positioned and quite lively, but very British. La Tania is, IMO, an underrated and better value base for 3V and although only a couple of lively bars, that can be enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:
@Fingersfreddy, and how could I forget the 3 Valleys, with Meribel being centrally positioned and quite lively, but very British. La Tania is, IMO, an underrated and better value base for 3V and although only a couple of lively bars, that can be enough.

Now you're talking....I like that suggestion.

That's the place I was kinda leaning to the most.

but there are so many options.

As much as I want to go to Verbier and Zermatt, your comment about cost makes it yuck! But, I think I have to do it at some time.

next year will really be a wildcard year, as you say. Could be demand like crazy....but still fun to plan, right?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austria. Salzburger Superski Pass. Hire Car. Base yourself somewhere near Zell am See and there is enough skiing within half an hour for a good week and within an hour for a couple. Zell am See, Ski Circus, Kitzbuhel, Gasteins, Hochkonig, Wagrain/Flachau etc. Zillertal........ all on the same pass. Bargain.
snow conditions
Fingersfreddy wrote:

I want great pistes, great food, atmosphere.

I don't care too much for off piste.

You have to go to Zermatt even if it’s not cheap. Val d’Isere / Tignes and 3V unbeatable for piste mileage. Portes du Soleil should also be good in Jan. Verbier is better for off piste so probably not ideal. Fly To Geneva and you’re 2.5 hrs from The French resorts, 1 hour from Morzine and 3 hours from Zermatt. Ski over to Cervinia from Zermatt and you fit in 3 countries too. You could also drive through Chamonix on the way from 3V’s to PdS to soak in the atmosphere. You could even fit in a Vallée Blanche if you want to ski the signature run. Another beautiful area in Switzerland is Grindelwald/Wengen/Murren. Happy researching and planning!
ski holidays
Saying that Switzerland is expensive is a common, but I would say misplaced, sentiment. It can be expensive, yes, but our family New Year in a Verbier hotel was cheaper per head than our ski trips to Vail and Tahoe and Courchevel 1850. You just have to be a bit more careful in planning. Anywhere 'premium' like Courcheval 1850, Verbier, Zermatt, Gstaad etc is going to be pricey. But in Verbier the range is still there: you can stay on piste in Verbier at 2200m at the top gondola station in the Maison des Ruinettes hostel for CHF 30(Can$43)/night, or up on the mountain at the Cabin du Mont Fort for CHF 92 (Can$133)/night, through to hiring Richard Branson's luxury Chalet for GBP £187,000 (Can$ 330,000)/week. And everything in-between. Or you can stay in one of the 'satellite' resorts like La Tzoumaz or Nendaz, which are all inked to Verbier but where accommodation costs far less, or stay in the valley and drive to any of a number of resorts. Basically, at least take a look at Switzerland before rejecting it completely on someone else's say-so.

One thing I'd say is that you should appreciate the size of some of the Alpine ski areas like Verbier's Quatre Vallées (410 kms, 255 miles), Courchevel's Trois Vallées (600 kms, 370 miles) or the Italian Via Lattea (400 kms, 250 miles). There are many more, as well as areas where a number of smaller domains are readily accessible from a central location. You could spend a whole month at the larger ones and still not get bored. Personally, rather than lose too many days in transfers, and only scratch the surface of your destinations, I'd go for no more than a couple of locations with one transfer in the middle.

And just to be up-front, you can see from my user details that I have a place in the La Tzoumaz satellite of Verbier, so of course, I'm something of a fan of (a) self-catering and (b) 'satelllite' resorts. And I tend to bridle at the "Oh, Switzerland is so expensive!" comments ....

And re transportation, for short stays, we are as likely to take the train/télépherique/PostBus as hire a rental car from Geneva Airport: the integrated SBB train-gondola-bus timetable will give you an idea of the feasibility of dispensing with a car, although cost-wise, once you have 3+ people the car can be cheaper. An SBB 'supersaver' ticket from «Genève-Aéroport» to «Verbier (télécabine)» is CHF 24.50 (Can$ 35.39) but that's like a 'plane ticket - for a specific date and time only, so double it for a standard single at the station on the day. And if you're renting a car from Geneva Airport, be aware that intermediaries are notorious for quoting competitive prices and then you find you get surcharged for winter tyres and chains on pickup, and the whole issue of 'cheaper' rentals from the French side (which again, aren't always as competitive as they appear, 'though they may be). All the Swiss-side rentals do pickup/return inside the airport complex, whereas some French-side rentals may involve the distant Ferney-Voltaire site, which is outside the airport perimeter, across the border in France.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
Saying that Switzerland is expensive is a common, but I would say misplaced, sentiment. It can be expensive, yes, but our family New Year in a Verbier hotel was cheaper per head than our ski trips to Vail and Tahoe and Courchevel 1850. You just have to be a bit more careful in planning. Anywhere 'premium' like Courcheval 1850, Verbier, Zermatt, Gstaad etc is going to be pricey. But in Verbier the range is still there: you can stay on piste in Verbier at 2200m at the top gondola station in the Maison des Ruinettes hostel for CHF 30(Can$43)/night, or up on the mountain at the Cabin du Mont Fort for CHF 92 (Can$133)/night, through to hiring Richard Branson's luxury Chalet for GBP £187,000 (Can$ 330,000)/week. And everything in-between. Or you can stay in one of the 'satellite' resorts like La Tzoumaz or Nendaz, which are all inked to Verbier but where accommodation costs far less, or stay in the valley and drive to any of a number of resorts. Basically, at least take a look at Switzerland before rejecting it completely on someone else's say-so.

One thing I'd say is that you should appreciate the size of some of the Alpine ski areas like Verbier's Quatre Vallées (410 kms, 255 miles), Courchevel's Trois Vallées (600 kms, 370 miles) or the Italian Via Lattea (400 kms, 250 miles). There are many more, as well as areas where a number of smaller domains are readily accessible from a central location. You could spend a whole month at the larger ones and still not get bored. Personally, rather than lose too many days in transfers, and only scratch the surface of your destinations, I'd go for no more than a couple of locations with one transfer in the middle.

And just to be up-front, you can see from my user details that I have a place in the La Tzoumaz satellite of Verbier, so of course, I'm something of a fan of (a) self-catering and (b) 'satelllite' resorts. And I tend to bridle at the "Oh, Switzerland is so expensive!" comments ....

And re transportation, for short stays, we are as likely to take the train/télépherique/PostBus as hire a rental car from Geneva Airport: the integrated SBB train-gondola-bus timetable will give you an idea of the feasibility of dispensing with a car, although cost-wise, once you have 3+ people the car can be cheaper. An SBB 'supersaver' ticket from «Genève-Aéroport» to «Verbier (télécabine)» is CHF 24.50 (Can$ 35.39) but that's like a 'plane ticket - for a specific date and time only, so double it for a standard single at the station on the day. And if you're renting a car from Geneva Airport, be aware that intermediaries are notorious for quoting competitive prices and then you find you get surcharged for winter tyres and chains on pickup, and the whole issue of 'cheaper' rentals from the French side (which again, aren't always as competitive as they appear, 'though they may be). All the Swiss-side rentals do pickup/return inside the airport complex, whereas some French-side rentals may involve the distant Ferney-Voltaire site, which is outside the airport perimeter, across the border in France.

really great response. Thank you for this.

I just looked at the daily lift prices. They're cheaper than Whistler mountain in Canada...so, you're right. more expensive than other resorts in Europe maybe, but compare them to North America, and they're on par, or cheaper.

Last year i was going to go on another trip to Colorado for a few days (I've been several trips), but the daily pass was 137.50 GBP or $175 USD...or $223 CDN!! Obviously it's always better to buy in advance, but for a quick getaway, it was just nuts. That's why I enjoy the Dolomites so much. Daily pass works out to being $70 CDN if you buy a 7 day superski.

Truthfully, I'm concerned too much about pricing if I'm flying over there to begin with, and it's going to be a great experience.

Now here's the next question, maybe a tough one. Where is the best experience for skiing and views....is it Zermatt? Mont Blanc? Courcheval? Gstaad? anywhere else?

By the way, I've been to Kitzbuhel....it was great. But back in 2003. Italy has the best scenery I've ever experienced (Dolomites).

From my experience, in terms of skiing, if you get the perfect day at Whistler, there is no better experience anywhere....but those days are tough to get due to weather...but it's still amazing. I want to get that experience in Europe...know what I mean?

anyway, thanks for the response. very much appreciated. I enjoy hearing others experiences.
snow report
@Fingersfreddy, Given you want the "perfect" experience, great views and are not too concerned about cost, you have to go to Zermatt. No question in my mind, it ticks all those boxes. Plus the best lunch stops in the world. Plus sunny cruising in Cervinia over the hill in Italy. But it is not cheap. And it is NOT good value to stay in Cervinia and ski Zermatt - you can pop over for a day but the connection if not always open, it takes along time, and you really cannot explore Zermatt's three mountains properly that way, let alone the restaurants on the Swiss side.
latest report
@Fingersfreddy, Zermatt/ Cervinia and also a week in Dollies.
ski holidays
A week in Verbier then a week in Zermatt? Saturdays is always busier on piste, so not so much of a loss as the transfer day. You could do all the transfers by train, which would be fun in itself. The MySwitzerland.com national tourism site should give you a flavour (they'll also post you nice brochures if you want something for the coffee table).

Just to state - I'm not saying that other locations won't be great. Just that I'm trying to help you narrow down the search process by naming some specific locations. I'm not an expert on the French or Italian resorts. And while resorts like Gstaad, Crans-Montana, Klosters, Davos etc. are excellent, I'd feel that if you're going to come to Switzerland, then you might as well go for the premier locations of Zermatt and/or Verbier.
snow report
Fingersfreddy wrote:

Now here's the next question, maybe a tough one. Where is the best experience for skiing and views....is it Zermatt? Mont Blanc? Courcheval? Gstaad? anywhere else?

Out of those Zermatt overall no question. Courchevel has great piste skiing. Avoid Gstaad, low and skiing is nothing special. Chamonix has fabulous high mountain scenery but the skiing is spread out and not linked.
snow report
Yes, on reflection, I should have been more specific with my ‘it’s expensive’ comment. In my defence, m’lud, I was trying to keep it brief.

So...relative to most of the larger skiing circuits in the European Alps, the overall cost of a like for like trip to a large skiing circuit in Switzerland will be higher.

There may be a few exceptions eg Courchevel 1850 (3V) centre of Megeve (EMB) possibly the centre of St Anton (Arlberg).

I assumed the OP knew that lift pass costs in Europe are significantly lower than N.America, as I know he’s visited the Dolomites, so didn’t mention that.

Hope that’s clearer. There are indexes of costs for skiing trips available on internet that put indicative numbers to those cost differences.
snow conditions
Fingersfreddy wrote:

You haven’t done the Dollies yet. There are 12 areas in the Dolomites, you must have at least 6 areas to look at yet.
snowHead
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@Fingersfreddy, Given you want the "perfect" experience, great views and are not too concerned about cost, you have to go to Zermatt. No question in my mind, it ticks all those boxes. Plus the best lunch stops in the world. Plus sunny cruising in Cervinia over the hill in Italy..

Totally agree. When I stayed in Zermatt a few years ago I used the Hotel Europe, I believe they do special winter packages from 3 days duration upwards. P.S Zermatt is car free, so if you have a rental car you'll have to pay to park it up at the big car park in Täsch (the village down the valley from Zermatt) and do the last leg of the journey by train from Täsch to Zermatt. Given that, it may make more sense not to hire a car while you are in Switzerland and just travel by train.

As you said you weren't really into off piste then if you are considering a second Swiss area to visit after Zermatt then rather than Verbier I would suggest the Jungfrau region resorts of Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren (the last two resorts being preferable imv). The area has the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains, and both Wengen and Mürren are car free like Zermatt.
snow report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Fingersfreddy wrote:

You haven’t done the Dollies yet. There are 12 areas in the Dolomites, you must have at least 6 areas to look at yet.
snowHead

Semantics Neddy....lol.

So true....I have hit 6...

More to do...good problem to have IMO....but you're right!
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
zikomo wrote:
@Fingersfreddy, Given you want the "perfect" experience, great views and are not too concerned about cost, you have to go to Zermatt. No question in my mind, it ticks all those boxes. Plus the best lunch stops in the world. Plus sunny cruising in Cervinia over the hill in Italy..

Totally agree. When I stayed in Zermatt a few years ago I used the Hotel Europe, I believe they do special winter packages from 3 days duration upwards. P.S Zermatt is car free, so if you have a rental car you'll have to pay to park it up at the big car park in Täsch (the village down the valley from Zermatt) and do the last leg of the journey by train from Täsch to Zermatt. Given that, it may make more sense not to hire a car while you are in Switzerland and just travel by train.

As you said you weren't really into off piste then if you are considering a second Swiss area to visit after Zermatt then rather than Verbier I would suggest the Jungfrau region resorts of Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren (the last two resorts being preferable imv). The area has the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains, and both Wengen and Mürren are car free like Zermatt.

I actually prefer the idea of trains. Less stressful in some respects, and you truly get to enjoy the scenery from what I've experienced.

Too bad there isn't a train from Munich to Arabba Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm going to google those regions....get my mind on good things. again, thanks for advice.
snow report
Train from Munich to Brunico is easy. Public bus to Corvara. Taxi to Arabba.
We’ve done it the opposite way and it was easy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy