Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton vs Val Thorens vs Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Bergmeister, the new pioneers lift was supposed to allow pedestrian access to stop this but tbh I don't actually ever think I've seen it in use.

So yes lots of drunken idiots skiing down!

I'm stunned! Shocked

That's not come to fruition, as far as I'm aware. Sad

I've never seen a gondola cabin on that lift line. Can anyone say if the lifties have ever actually done that? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the Ischgl "village" authorities are to be believed apres ski activities are going to be toned down big time whenever they start up again. Personally I suspect that they make far too much money from all the drinking to excess etc so the events of March 2020 will be swiftly glossed over and it will be back to "normal" in no time but that is very much not the current plan, so dont count on the party returning there any time soon.

I agree St Anton has plenty of somewhat mature men (and it is practically all men) reliving past glories and that the apres music is very much cheesy Austrian sing along pop. However from my observations there are an awful lot of 20 somethings too, drinking Jägerbombs, dancing in ski boots and taking their clothes off. Possibly not as "cool" as Folie Douce though I know what would have appealed to me more at 25. There is a large element of personal preference, belting out Sweet Caroline after a hard days skiing wont appeal to all Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

@boabski, a superb area and Saalbach is possibly my favourite place to be, but it's nothing like as hedonistic as Ischgl in my view. Not that it's a competition of course!

Thank Dionysus, Comus and Pan for that! Very Happy This season has certainly hit the reset button. The emphasis is now on skiing and "civilised", low key apres-ski - as it was decades ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, so we should expect a greater number of ballads from the delightful chanteuse in the Hinterhag then?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Valluga, don’t know when that particular delightful songbird will be allowed to resume serenading her adoring fans and bestowing hearts upon them. In the meantime the only songbirds we can hear as we ski down are the feathered kind.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The ‘Winking Owl’ Aviemore Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
If the Ischgl "village" authorities are to be believed apres ski activities are going to be toned down big time whenever they start up again. Personally I suspect that they make far too much money from all the drinking to excess etc so the events of March 2020 will be swiftly glossed over and it will be back to "normal" in no time but that is very much not the current plan, so dont count on the party returning there any time soon.

I agree St Anton has plenty of somewhat mature men (and it is practically all men) reliving past glories and that the apres music is very much cheesy Austrian sing along pop. However from my observations there are an awful lot of 20 somethings too, drinking Jägerbombs, dancing in ski boots and taking their clothes off. Possibly not as "cool" as Folie Douce though I know what would have appealed to me more at 25. There is a large element of personal preference, belting out Sweet Caroline after a hard days skiing wont appeal to all Madeye-Smiley

Yea, I really don't see the "Ischgl apres is changing" as anything more than a press release to try and counter the "Ischgl apres caused every Covid infection in Europe" headlines from last year. Yes, some members of the family would like to "Clean up the reputation" of the town - but that just means "Attract more Russians with more money than sense", and isn't what other members of the family want.

I'd also put Ischgl's average age on the 'wrong' side of 40 and 'cock heavy' - but there's always a much younger/more balanced crowd at Paznauner Thaya up the mountain, then in the Kuhstall/Fire and Ice down in town.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say VT for the young (provided the weather is good - the Folie and the rave deck at the Knife and Fork look pretty grim in a freezing windstorm), St Anton for the older and cheesier and Ischgl for the dirty old men.

Be grateful though that it's all available and relatively cheap (I know a pint at the Folie doesn't feel like it). I've seen the action at this American attempt at it and it's positively tragic and admission only for those that have dropped a shed load for a lunch sitting. The natural home of frat boys called Trip and twice divorced cougars.

http://youtube.com/v/4qHX-4TcLGs

https://www.vogue.com/article/aspen-cloud-nine-ski-restaurant-party
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'd say VT for the young (provided the weather is good - the Folie and the rave deck at the Knife and Fork look pretty grim in a freezing windstorm), St Anton for the older and cheesier and Ischgl for the dirty old men.

Makes it sound bloody awful. Beginning to appreciate the welcome respite! Also getting to be quite a dab hand at making Jagatee in the apartment - music’s better too!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, I,very sent you a pm. Looking for a copy of your Saalabach guide if you could be so kind.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always find VT so incredibly busy, ski lifts queues are mental. I do remember going on a lads trip 18 years ago on my first ever ski trip and there were a few nightclubs etc but what sticks out in my mind is paying £8 a pint and buying a lipsol for £6 and that was 2003.

Some of the best nights out I have had in a ski resort are in Les Gets, I have been doing a lads trips to PdS for 18 years and never fails to deliver.

I have never tried Austria ut I will do one day.

I am very surprised at some of the negative comments about next season, do people really think Ski resorts will still be in lockdown in 14-15 months time, no chance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mheadbee wrote:
I always find VT so incredibly busy, ski lifts queues are mental. I do remember going on a lads trip 18 years ago on my first ever ski trip and there were a few nightclubs etc but what sticks out in my mind is paying £8 a pint and buying a lipsol for £6 and that was 2003.

Yikes, the last time I was there was 2 years ago and I don't remember it being that bad. That said, we did have a good idea of the right bars to go to at the right times (and how to work the happy hours!!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mheadbee wrote:

I am very surprised at some of the negative comments about next season, do people really think Ski resorts will still be in lockdown in 14-15 months time, no chance.

I'll take my cautious pessimism against your sunny optimism. Only one of us will get disappointed. Think is it's not 14-15 months time but 10 months now. Feels inevitable that the world of the limitless crammed in apres partying might still be curtailed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Some of the best nights out I have had in a ski resort are in Les Gets, I have been doing a lads trips to PdS for 18 years and never fails to deliver.

I have never tried Austria

@mheadbee, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you first encounter Austrian après-ski and compare it with Les Gets Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mheadbee wrote:

I have never tried Austria ut I will do one day.

Both were taken by me at around 7 PM Madeye-Smiley Razz

http://youtube.com/v/P8SWnNC8WTg

http://youtube.com/v/1EDFeE0rDOc

And another one, after 10PM from the famous Covid19 Austrian craddle (taken 3 months earlier):

http://youtube.com/v/fdHlBGe5rso
latest report
@drporat, “Atemlos Durch Die Nacht” by Helene Fischer is one of my guilty pleasures.
snow conditions
Andybag wrote:
22 years old, Val Thorens hands down. St Anton and Ischgl are for the more middle aged (picture red cheeked men with salopettes holding in their ample stomachs)

Thank you - that is the definition of me wink
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, same goes with me. And listening to her in a happy Austrian environment is the right thing to do.
ski holidays
@drporat, that looks like one of the less busy days at the Moose. It's often a lot more packed than that, both inside and out.
snow report
Quote:

I've only been to St Anton a couple times and if you find VT busy then St. Anton will blow your mind. Half hour queues one after the other, ski tip to tail, shoulder to shoulder skiing. Mind you you do appear to be ripped off in the bars with £8 a pint.
snow report
https://steidl.de/Books/Ischgl-0510173659.html
snow conditions
@drporat, from my experience those videos seem rather tame, a bit more typical of the Mooserwirt here

http://youtube.com/v/6ATX3F6QMrQ

I am sure @tatmanstours can supply something along the same lines for the Hinterhag or similar S-H establishments.

I know my experience of Les Gets was many years ago now (nearly 30 Sad ) but I certainly dont recall anything like the typical Austrian apres
ski holidays
i have done both ischgl and st anton and prefer st anton for apres
latest report
I've also been to both and much prefer Ischgl. Different strokes.
snow conditions
Quote:

I am sure @tatmanstours can supply something along the same lines for the Hinterhag or similar S-H establishments

I’m sure there are hours of viewing on YouTube of the fairly extreme après-ski in the Hinterhag Alm, Spitzbub and similar establishments in Saalbach. I wonder if we’ll see it again Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy