Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

‘A’ Frame Drills - Help!

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve just seen a short film clip of my skiing, which seems to support what I’ve suspected for a while, that an A Frame issue has developed!

It looks as though it’s left shin/leg on right hand turns.

I’m not sure why however, last season I moved onto new skis....longer and stiffer. 177 Atomic Redster G9’s. My older skis, Kneissl Black Stars 172, I’m unaware of there being an issue, or at least, possibly not so pronounced.

So, what are the best drills to help rectify this?

For context, I’ve about 50 weeks skiing under my belt, can carve (through the whole turn radius), am happy/confident on all piste terrains and conditions. Have a long standing (45 years) back problem (not severe), which might have an impact on some biomechanic movement.

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cacciatore, are you able to post the video clip?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This might be a possibility (Drill #5 @9:52)

http://youtube.com/v/vaPDpU1_OrU?t=592
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might seem like a rookie question, but what does 'A' Frame mean?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queenie pretty please wrote:
When your shins aren't parallel, so your knees are markedly closer together than your feet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:

It's what happens if only the D/Hill knee angles inwards towards the U/Hill leg - so shins aren't parallel, thus forming an A shape.

Edit. Rob beat me to it, while I was trying to put it in a less long winded way....and Rob still gave a more simple explanation. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
@Cacciatore, are you able to post the video clip?

It’s on someone else’s phone - will see what I can do.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
This might be a possibility (Drill #5 @9:52)

http://youtube.com/v/vaPDpU1_OrU?t=592

That’s really useful, thanks. One to try. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick update:

At the risk of creating any envy ( Toofy Grin ), I’ve been out several times to ski and drill, as per the recommended clip (thanks, again). Thought it best to try and lock in the correction on my shorter skis. Whilst difficult to assess exactly whether things have improved, the drills provide a good feeling for the correct position.

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to ski with 3 local Austrians....a combination of ex-racer (in his younger days) ex-instructor and a local, born and brought up in the resort. What a blast. I took the new skis (Atomics) and all seems well. A big and literal thumbs up and general astonishment that I ‘only’ started skiing 19 years ago. The owner (and good friend) of one of the mountain huts is an ex-instructor...he said he thought I should become an instructor. Nice. Not sure about that, but I have, since being here, taken 2 absolute beginners to a level where they can competently ski reds and one person who’s gone from enduring to enjoying skiing.

Anyway, will stick with the drills to keep the bad habits at bay.

Stay safe and I look forward to when so many of you can get back doing what you all are passionate about....maybe even see some of you in our little corner of Austria.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cacciatore, That is great - With that feedback, you must be doing something right! Toofy Grin

IME. If you get the 2 skis working together, changing edges at the same time and by the same amount - you know it. It's like you've gone into 4 wheel drive and everything just works better...without the A Frame tripping you up between turns (very noticeable in bumps).

When Lady F got her alignment sorted, after skiing with an A Frame for 20 years, her skis went around the turn so much more quickly, she found the speed/sensation disconcerting and felt out of control. Half a day (and a lesson) later, when she figured out how to stay in control - her skiing instantly went up a notch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, looking back, left turns often felt much more stable...probably put that down to being right-footed and more confident in managing pressure and release through the turn (if that makes sense).

Anyway, we shall see how things go. Rain over the next few days will give the old legs a much needed break Laughing .

Then we get some new snow and a dip in temperatures....looking forward to that Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cacciatore, I still find my legs drifting apart sometimes on high speed turns. I have been remembering my lessons with Claude and concentrating on actively engaging and steering my upper ski tip while doing pole holding drills. Someday I will be able to ski one legged on both edges
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, I think, in bumps, mid turn anyway, your legs shouldn't be far enough apart to allow any sort of "framing"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think a wide stance could be the culprit for a lot of A-framing. A result of trying to start a turn and finding your uphill leg forming a nice stable platform in the wrong place. It is impossible to A-frame when mincing about with your knees locked together.

https://www.wheretogoskiing.com/stance-how-wide-is-too-wide/
snow conditions
back in the day, a-framing was encouraged ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
back in the day, a-framing was encouraged ...

knee angulation is still a legitimate technique isn't it? Appropriate in certain situations. It allows you to turn more sharply without pivoting at lower speeds than really allow committing to hip angulation. For example.

It seems to me that most techniques have their place in skiing if done intentionally in appropriate circumstances
ski holidays
@jedster, I think you are probably right but very much with emphasis on "intentionally"!
latest report
I always find that a good quality screw aids the work of a drill Toofy Grin
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
@Old Fartbag, looking back, left turns often felt much more stable...probably put that down to being right-footed and more confident in managing pressure and release through the turn (if that makes sense).

Anyway, we shall see how things go. Rain over the next few days will give the old legs a much needed break Laughing .

Then we get some new snow and a dip in temperatures....looking forward to that Cool

Interestingly (or not for some) I actually find it the opposite way round. I'm also right footed, but find my right turns, with my left leg as my downhill leg my stronger turn, and I thought that was odd. I was chatting about it to an instructor friend who suggested that it could be that my left leg is better at balancing as it would have been used more for that purpose in other sports like football where I kick with the right foot more often than not, so have built up better balance in the left leg.

It made sense to me when he suggested it.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I think, in bumps, mid turn anyway, your legs shouldn't be far enough apart to allow any sort of "framing"

Years ago, in the early 80s, I had a lesson with a French Si Instructor, where he was telling me to use a quick inwards "stab" of the d/hill knee at the end of a short turn, to get the edge to bite and spring into the next turn. This caused a sudden A Frame, as it was only done with one ski.

I found back then, when skiing in bumps, the small gap between the skis was enough to allow a small A Frame (especially as I was totally concentrating on only angling the d/hill knee)....was enough to throw off the smooth initiation of the turn and trip me up.

So, I suppose I am talking about how things were taught back then - where all weight was on the turning ski; where only one knee was angling inwards and where the u/hill ski was purely an outrigger....and bringing that into into the bumps was not productive. It also didn't help, that the skis were 195 long when bringing them into the bumps.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, "195"? what were you up to?

203 for slalom, 207 for GS.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, "195"? what were you up to?

203 for slalom, 207 for GS.

I ended up with the longest length of the Salomon Force 9 3s, which was 203 (or was it 201?). Does that count?
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
I think a wide stance could be the culprit for a lot of A-framing. A result of trying to start a turn and finding your uphill leg forming a nice stable platform in the wrong place. It is impossible to A-frame when mincing about with your knees locked together.

https://www.wheretogoskiing.com/stance-how-wide-is-too-wide/

Interesting link.

Also impossible to A frame on a mono board...as demonstrated by a couple of instructors I saw the other day....clearly this is the way to go...
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
I’ve just seen a short film clip of my skiing, which seems to support what I’ve suspected for a while, that an A Frame issue has developed!

It looks as though it’s left shin/leg on right hand turns.

I’m not sure why however, last season I moved onto new skis....longer and stiffer. 177 Atomic Redster G9’s. My older skis, Kneissl Black Stars 172, I’m unaware of there being an issue, or at least, possibly not so pronounced.

So, what are the best drills to help rectify this?

For context, I’ve about 50 weeks skiing under my belt, can carve (through the whole turn radius), am happy/confident on all piste terrains and conditions. Have a long standing (45 years) back problem (not severe), which might have an impact on some biomechanic movement.

Thanks snowHead

Have you ever been taught the "indicator knee" technique? wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy