Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Giettaz - Megève (for a snowboarder)

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at a place in La Giettaz - Megève. However one of our group had concerns about how the blue run back to this area will be for a second week snowboarded? They suffered very badly on the green road down at Serre Chevalier (their children skiers were desperate to do it so they tried to follow them), and with this being the only run back home from the rest of the ski area they are nervous.

Any body been there, who can either reassure or confirm it is an issue?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What issues did they have on the greens?
2 weeks boarding is prob. the issue, rather than the slope!

Blue is probably easier than a green on a board.. especially if falling & need to get up again!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would expect a blue to be easier but know that one resort to another varies. The road was reasonably flat, narrow and windy. What suits first week skiers (the children) to practice on the afternoon does not suit first week boarders.

What is that blue across like? As we can’t see any alternative to getting back. Except possibly via road and bus round but don’t know if the buses l’un either?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
some blues are proper marked pistes, others are steep cat tracks - assuming the green was not so steep cat track/mountain road

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3350132&highlight=treffleannaise#3350132

Photos of the blue there

I think the later 1/2 of the video covers the run... does not look like fun IMO

http://youtube.com/v/pkEwK2vcQKE&ab_channel=sierrasta100
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, brilliant find! Will watch the video. Didn’t think to search You Tube!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3096024&highlight=giettaz#3096024
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where is the accommodation you are looking at? La Giettaz itself is a little way from the access to the ski area.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Where is the accommodation you are looking at? La Giettaz itself is a little way from the access to the ski area.

This is the concern of the group. On plus side... it is pretty affordable for Feb Half term.

Also sounds like our numbers may have changed, now so I am back to google!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Didn’t think to search You Tube!

It's one the usual questions I get asked.... So I usually try to prep the answers before hand, in order of how they are likely to be asked.
Where is the nearest pub?
How much is beer on the mountain?
Where is Ski School?
Is it Ski in & Out. - "no, because none of you will pay that premium!"
Where is the supermarket?
how much is beer in the supermarket?
how much is lift pass? does it include insurance?
what about ski hire? does it include helmets?
What about the ski back down?
How do we get to the resort from the airport?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the run is the very long (53 markers) road run, you need to take a good bit of speed in from the top to coast from marker 43ish to 35ish but from there on it does have a slope, it is one of those weird runs where you just stand up & relax only to find out that your speed has been building up & you better pay attention, the last 400 yards are a bit steeper but nothing to worry about.
if it is busy you can caught behind people who try to take up the entire width.
there are some caves worth looking at half way done.
Whats there worry, to steep fast for them or not enough to slope to glide on a board?
look to your right at about marker 20, there is a new chalet on its roof where it slid down the hill!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mr.Egg, oh that sound so familiar! I can’t help getting a little frustrated by people’s expectations of what we can get for the money they are prepared to part with as well! Yes there are compromises that is why it is that “cheap”. However I am dealing with mostly family and last year Feb half term with all three generations on the slope together and kids being with their cousins more than made up for the hassle.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996, thanks. Steep isn’t the main concern I think it was width of track coupled with too flat
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was once a beginner snowboarder too (in fact, I stopped being a snowboarder before I stopped being a beginner....). I completely relate to the problems your snowboarders had, as our "home run" to Bisanne 1500 was also a very long track. It's since been widened and improved a lot, but at the beginning it really was intimidating because there were some bends with "drop offs" which looked nasty (though they weren't really!!) and it was difficult to have the confidence to keep the board on its edge and turn, rather than slow down defensively and then come to a complete halt. I took my board off and walked, more than once. On skis, for anyone but complete beginners, I think it was easier, though there was one stretch when it was difficult for people who couldn't "skate" on their skis to keep going. Depending on the state of the snow, even good snowboarders had to "scoot" in places. I used occasionally to give snowboarders a tow.

From La Giettaz itself you'd need road transport to get to the skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, location of chalet claimed 400m to the slopes / lift base which thought sounded fine, and as a skier I was happy with the map compromise. Having watched the video I can see bits that I suspect they won’t be happy with as a second week boarder.

By the 3 dropping out we are back to 12. So I am back to searching for suitable accommodation.

Really useful info all. Thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looked at the video, that is the worst sort of run for a novice snowboarder.
snow report
@Jonny996 has it all taped. Long run, wide enough, gradient mostly such that on skis you just point downhill and keep going. Main issue is running into ski school groups. It ends up joining some other runs for the last little bit - it is wider as well as a bit steeper but there are more other skiers to avoid and the snow tends to be in a worse state.

Next time (!) I am going to have to look out for that inverted chalet. There was a frozen waterfall half way down that merited stopping for a photo.

As @pam w says, the little village at the bottom is actually a satellite hamlet ("Le Plan") about 2 km from La Giettaz proper so do check where you are staying and what the transport arrangements are.
snow report
Quote:

Looked at the video, that is the worst sort of run for a novice snowboarder.

Yes I agree, from 3 mins into that video up to 4 mins, that would not be fun for a 2nd week boarder.

It might be doable and then would be character and confidence building. Much depends on the individual, their technique progression and general attitude. How big a drink and round of applause they get at the end. Also whether bears live in that wood to boarders right Little Angel
latest report
I remember doing the run into La Giettaz3 or 4 years ago on a weekend in Megeve. Its a long run (and I was on ski's) and as others have indicated not overly difficult, but prone to groups. I didn't think that there was much in La Giettaz/Le PLan. We skied over there from Megeve, did a couple of red and blacks and then headed back towards Combloux. It was a decent day's skiing, but its not somewhere I would rush back to.

In my mind you are better off booking somewhere around say the Princess Lift, which is similarly remote, but gets you access to the Mt Joly section of Evasion Mont Blanc, with short drives (bus)into Combloux/Le Jaillet/Rochbrune sections.
snow conditions
Just saw this.

The link from the top of La Giettaz (Tete de Torraz) to Combloux/Megeve (Christomet) allows for a nice promenade with wonderful views, but it's relatively flat - green slope level. O don't remember seeing boarders that side (except this year, but they're on splitboards Smile )

(no such problem the other way around where you can either use a blue run or dive hors piste straight to La Giettaz with going via Tete de Torraz)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy