Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2007 1080 Gun

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to demo the 07 1080 gun (pocket rocket replacement). The specs look pretty promising as to what I may be after next season. Was going to go with something with an 80ish waist for an all-mountain ski but I think these may fit the bill

Turn Radius/Size/Dimensions:
12.8m @ 154cm - 130-90-122
15.5m @ 164cm - 130-94-123
18.6m @ 174cm - 130-96-124
22.2m @ 188cm - 135-101-126

http://www.untracked.com/highlight-176595.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep.

Demo'd them 2 weeks ago, they are not bad at all. Sintered UHMW base.

BUT

given a choice, and if I had to spend my own money, I'd still go for the wood cored Head Mojo90.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been looking at the mojo 90 as well, Which do you think would be better for a lighter skier, circa 150lbs. I wonder whether I would be better with the 164 or 174. I see the new 1080 has gotten rid of the titanium construction, do you think it performs better as an all-rounder than last years, does the increase in the waist make them less versatile. Sorry for all the questions.

What's a UHMV Base? I'm guessing its extremely strong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edmundh009, SETH, SETH, SETH!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You think a seth vicous would be a better option. Does it carve as well on piste, Its just I want something with no more than a 20m radius. Il have a look at the 07. A seth in a 169 could be pretty sweet though .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it merely a cosmetic change this year as the dimensions are the same?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edmundh009, Yep, no improvements needed. You could try the Nancy if you want the old Seth Pistol. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you just call me Nancy. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Laughing Here is my short list for next season (unless I can grab a bargain).

Head mojo 90
k2 Seth Vicious
Salomon 1080 Gun
Volkl karma
Rossignol Scratch BC (possibly)

I really want a twin tip that can perform on the groomers well, as well as in the powder.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Edmundh009, I have Scratch's at a good price, if that can sway you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edmundh009, i have a pair of 175 pocket rockets that i purchased last summer and have only used for about 8 days if they are of interest pls send me a pm, i'm changing them for something longer as i'm a fairly hefty chap! they seem to offer good performance on the piste as well (though i am no expert!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smallzookeeper How much are the scratch (PM me) also do you know what the difference is between this years and last years now they have WRS after the BC ie: Rossignol Scratch BC WRS.

Roger have you thought about the mojo 90. You copuld put them up in thye buy/for sale forum to generate some interest.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me, despite the Seth V being a great ski, I think it's somewhat of a one trick pony. Great for what it does. but it's not an all round resort ski. You just can't go from edge to edge as quick as say a pair of Mojo90's. They won't be as enjoyabe on say a hardpack day.

Go demo the Guns, Mojo90's, and the Karmas.

As for the question regarding UHMW - here's a posting I made recently on Natives:

++++++++++++++

Bases:

All bases are constructed from HDPE (high density polyethylene) - (P-Tex is merely a trade name), or UHMW-PE (ultra high molecular weight PE) - (DuraSurf is a manufacturer of such base materials).

These are available in Extruded or Sintered form.

Extruded is cheaper, found in entry and mid level equipment. 3 grades of extruded: 1000, 1500 and 2000. The higher the grade, the greater the resistance to wear and the tougher the base material is. Extruded bases do not hold wax as well which means it is more important to regularly wax these bases to avoid drying out.

A sintered base is superior - it's more durable, faster and holds wax better than an extruded base. It's also more expensive and difficult to repair. It comes in three general grades: 2000, 4000, 8000. This type of base is found on higher performance equipment. To further improve performance manufacturers will add ceramic fibres to improve wear resistance. Graphite is also added to reduce static build up at higher speeds to aid performance and turning.

Edges:

The majority of edge material on the market today has a Rockwell hardness of 48. Other companies boast about it, but it's the same for all edge material.

Some manufacturers run a second edge inside the first set.

++++++++++++++++++++
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for clearing that up. I thought the viscious would be certainly faster edge to edge than a karma. Which ski would you recommend for a lighter skier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You know, you really should demo your last 3 choices.

There are so many more factors (how do you ski, do you wash the tails out, do you like loading up the ski, what level of skier are you, do you look for performance and rebound, how much time do you spend in the park, half pipe, powder, groomers etc.) apart from weight and height to consider.

It really is impossible to recommend across the ether.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Edmundh009, Mojo 90 175cm 350euros, Scratch BC 178cm 330euro, Karma 169cm 380euro(This Year, not the floppy next years version!).
latest report
I am guessing all these models are sold flat then rolling eyes The mojo 90 sounds like a good bet. Ill have to wait a couple o weeks though IF i was to go with em.
ski holidays
I think you should start up an online shop Smallzookeeper. You're a 'pusher' aren't yo, helping skiers get their next phat ski fix Skullie Cheers for your help Smile
snow report
Edmundh009, They'll be in storage, sooner the better the price. wink
ski holidays
Edmundh009, none of these skis are fat. as you say phat, maybe, but not fat.
ski holidays
surely a 175 pocket rocket with a 96mm waist can be considered fat. Should the pontoon Gotama etc not be conisdered superfat. I thought mid-fats were around 85mm and fat was around 90-100 superfat being 100+
ski holidays
Phat is what us NU-Skoolers ( << see what I did there) call em Cool Cool Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy