Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

19/20 Scott Patrol E1 AP 22/30/40 Supercapacitor Powered Electric Avalanche Airbag

Poster: A snowHead
I first posted about the Scott packs containing Alpride's E1 supercapacitor powered avi bag in Sept 2018: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3279584&highlight=scott++avalanche+backpack#3279584

These packs were the hot ticket last year and 99% of the production was sold by the time they arrived in the autumn and the last few packs were gone by Christmas. In fact demand was so high that none of the Scott staff managed to get one via their employee & family deal.

Last year the pack was only available in the 30 litre size. For 19/20 it is still available in the 30 but also in both 22 and 40 litre sizes. The packs are available either as a full system (ie the pack containing the E1 avi bag system) or a pack only (ie no E1 system). The internal E1 system is the same across all three pack sizes and can be swapped from one pack size to another. Note that you cannot buy the internal E1 system seperately. There is a chance that the internal E1 system will be available seperately in the future but if that happens it won't be until 20/21 at the earliest.

For 19/20 both the 30 litre pack and the E1 system is unchanged in both specification and price. However the pack now comes with an additional feature which is a stowable mesh helmet carrier so you're getting a bit more for your money.

The reason for this post is that what also hasn't changed from last season is the availability. I've ordered considerably more than last season for delivery in the autumn but I've already pre-sold all of my 22 and 40 sizes and two thirds of my 30's. I've just contacted Scott to see if I can increase my stock order and they are already completely sold out of all three sizes.

Ok, yes I sell these, but this is a genuine heads-up to snowHeads that these are again selling like hot cakes so if you fancy one you'll need to act quickly and hot foot it down to your local Scott dealer (wink) or you'll miss out like plenty of people did last season, many of them snowHeads. I've only got the 30 litre full system packs left so if you want a different size or a 30 litre pack only you'll have to find another Scott retailer that still has one.

For 19/20 the Alpride E1 system will also be available in a 26 litre (only) Black Diamond pack and it contains the exact same E1 system as in the Scott packs. Confusingly it's called the Jetforce Tour 26L which makes it sound like it contains Black Diamonds Jetforce battery operated pack but it is the E1 supercapacitor system. The Jetforce Tour 26 is actually available in two lengths: a S/M length which is 24 litres (2.53kg) and the M/L length which is the 26 litre capacity (2.63kg). Annoyingly they have not yet published the actual dimensions of each pack. The list price for the Jetforce Tour 26 in both lengths is £850 compared to £800 for the Scott 30 litre (2.67kg) version. I'm also offering the Black Diamond packs but as they're only offering the E1 in the 26 litre size it means that if you want something larger the only solution is the 30 or 40 litre Scott packs. The Black Diamond packs are also diagonal ski carry only whereas the Scott can carry skis both diagonally or vertically/A frame.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-05-19 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spyderjon, found my pack to be super easy to use, easy to charge and repack after testing. The helmet mesh was all that was missing (it was annoying when on my first taste of touring for helmet to be. Inning around). Can you buy them separately?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bennyboy1, they're not shown separately in the price list but I've just email Scott to see if they can be ordered as a spare part and I'll let you know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bennyboy1, the helmet mesh will be available to purchase separately for the 20/21 season but it's not available this season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Availability Update
The Scott E1 packs are again selling like hot cakes. I've only got a few 30L ones left so if you need one you'd best be quick. AFAIK, all of the retailers are also now sold out of the 40L version but I've managed to score a few more 40L E1 full system packs and a couple of 40L E1 compatible 'packs only'. They arrive next week so if you want the larger pack for hut-to-hut stuff, either as the full avi system or as the pack only (into which you can install the E1 system) then you'll need to get a wiggle on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was lucky to pick one of these up last season. Everything about it seems solid and well thought through, however, has anyone tried and tested A frame ski stowage and does it impinge the airbag opening....I know thats probably why it has the diagonal straps but thought I’d ask. And I know it can stow ‘A’ frame style...it’s just the impact on an opening airbag which concerns me. Thanks Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
Availability Update
The Scott E1 packs are again selling like hot cakes. I've only got a few 30L ones left so if you need one you'd best be quick. AFAIK, all of the retailers are also now sold out of the 40L version but I've managed to score a few more 40L E1 full system packs and a couple of 40L E1 compatible 'packs only'. They arrive next week so if you want the larger pack for hut-to-hut stuff, either as the full avi system or as the pack only (into which you can install the E1 system) then you'll need to get a wiggle on.

Apparently mine's just arrived (30L). I couldn't get a 40L through the usual family channels so yes, spyderjon's spot on and they're super popular!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ox wrote:
I was lucky to pick one of these up last season. Everything about it seems solid and well thought through, however, has anyone tried and tested A frame ski stowage and does it impinge the airbag opening....I know thats probably why it has the diagonal straps but thought I’d ask. And I know it can stow ‘A’ frame style...it’s just the impact on an opening airbag which concerns me. Thanks Cool

It's really a side/parallel carry facility as opposed to an A frame. I've only tried it once with my Altum 94's strapped to the pack and the bag deployed fine between me and the skis, although the skis do push the sides of the bag forward. Whether the bag deployment is effected is probably dependent upon the width of the skis and how the backpack is packed - however there's a lot of pressure inflating the bag so it will find a way. The bags are also damned tough but inflating up the side of sharp ski edges is another factor - although if I was boot packing and got caught in a slide I'd take my chances with that.

Anyway, why are you asking when you can simply test for yourself?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. Useful. I wasn’t too keen on cutting the bag with sharp edges..... thought I’d ask in case anyone else had tried and it was a big no no! Cool
Forgot to mention that BHX security did pull me to one side but I showed receipt, instructions and website. Had it all prepped and glad I did. Coming back fro Salzburg wasn’t a problem at all.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To test it with the vertical carry I'd put some strips of duct tape over the ski edges just in case.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mmmmof course...should have thought of that. rolling eyes I’ll try it out and let you know with my Daemon 99mm.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, I think I've read somewhere that the 30L Scott E1 is 60cm in its longest dimension.

Has anyone had any hassle taking it on an aircraft as hand luggage, as I guess most airlines advertise 55 or 56cm as the limit?

Thanks,
Gav.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Gav,
I’ve just measured mine and whilst the contoured back gives it some rigidity, it can be coaxed to below the 56cm EasyJet limit very easily....it compresses like most other rucksacks so I guess the cabin-bag-police aren’t going to take much notice. I’ll let you know if I get any problems as I am flying to Innsbruck Friday Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting, thanks! Good luck Friday Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi - Am looking at the The SCOTT Patrol E1 22 - Does this work with any kind of hydration system? And can you keep it on riding lifts? I borrowed a cansiter type one last year and gave up using it as it was too heavy and bulky.
snow report
Received my Scott patrol e1 30-L from @spyderjon. The usual excellent service from The Piste Office.

Test fired it a couple of times. Well my 11 year old son test fired it Smile One of the big advantages of this pack - super easy to pack up and test fire.

Actually does anyone know how the trigger system works? How the force on the cable (5-10kg of pull force is required) is converted into an electrical signal and what gives the resistance? On my mammut gas cartridge pack, the cable connects to a sharp pin that pierces a metal diaphragm on the top of the cartridge - very mechanical and reliable I expect. Curious to know now the e1 trigger works.

First impressions of the pack are good. The airbag and capacitor take up quite a bit of room, so I’m glad I got the 30-L over the 22-L.
snow report
gsampson wrote:
Hi all, I think I've read somewhere that the 30L Scott E1 is 60cm in its longest dimension.

Has anyone had any hassle taking it on an aircraft as hand luggage, as I guess most airlines advertise 55 or 56cm as the limit?

Thanks,
Gav.

Hi Gav, mine measures at 56 cm ish.

RobertCroydon wrote:
Hi - Am looking at the The SCOTT Patrol E1 22 - Does this work with any kind of hydration system? And can you keep it on riding lifts? I borrowed a cansiter type one last year and gave up using it as it was too heavy and bulky.

I just bought the 30 litre version as noted above. You can swap the pull trigger from the left to the right, but no hole for a hydration system or hook for the bladder, so I guess no.

My 30 litre pack is not bulky at all. Empty it’s 13 cm at the thickest part which is the capacitor. I’ve worn much more bulky rucksacks on lifts which make you feel a bit nervous when the bar is up.
ski holidays
Cheers. For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread I ended up buying the BD Jetforce Tour 26 litre version and so far have been on 4 flights with it (all BA though) and not had any hassle as hand luggage.

As Ox said above with the Scott version, the BD also squashes down a bit so you'd probably be ok even with the tighter airlines.
snow report
I've taken my E1 Patrol 30L as carry-on luggage on a number of flights (Jet 2 & EasyJet) without issue.

Unless you are very short do not buy the 22L version. Get the 30L version instead as it's the same price and the compression straps are excellent if you're running light but you've got the extra capacity for when you need it.

Even when loaded to the absolute max I've never taken mine off on a lift.

The trigger cable exits from the centre of the pack so if you want to use a hydration pack you'll to use poke a hole in the top of the opposite the sleave in the shoulder strap. I find hydration packs waaay too much hassle so carry one or two of the curved plastic Camelback plastic bottles.
snow conditions
Took mine as handluggage with Jet2 and BA in March and no issues with the size even though it was quite full! More issues with Stansted security as they hadn't see one before and wanted to see the compressor and batteries etc rolling eyes Luckily I wasn't running late for the flight!
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
I've taken my E1 Patrol 30L as carry-on luggage on a number of flights (Jet 2 & EasyJet) without issue.

Unless you are very short do not buy the 22L version. Get the 30L version instead as it's the same price and the compression straps are excellent if you're running light but you've got the extra capacity for when you need it.

Even when loaded to the absolute max I've never taken mine off on a lift.

The trigger cable exits from the centre of the pack so if you want to use a hydration pack you'll to use poke a hole in the top of the opposite the sleave in the shoulder strap. I find hydration packs waaay too much hassle so carry one or two of the curved plastic Camelback plastic bottles.

Well I really like my hydration pack so that’s a minus point for me against buying this pack... Puzzled how short do you mean Spyderjon? Shocked Someone of my size ok to carry 30L or am I one of those that should stick to 22L? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@aewynia, How tall are you? I tried @spyderjon's 30L on and it was way too long – I'm about 163cm. I've not tried the 22L yet.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, ooh ok never mind I’m shorter than you, about 158cm these days (apparently used to be 160! Skullie) - this is clearly out of my league! Shocked rolling eyes

Thanks @Scarlet, what would you recommend? Any ideas? I’m only starting out so still got time to look around... maybe there’s a kiddie version somewhere out there! Laughing
latest report
@aewynia, Yeah, it's a problem! I've had a thread on it before. The 22L Scott bag might work but the Black Diamond version was huge. Of the cartridge ones, Mammut are generally too long, even the women's one. I currently have an ABS but it's an old model and I'll upgrade when I can afford to. I've tried on what I *think* was the current ABS S.Light, and that fitted ok. Ortovox also do a women's bag but I haven't tried it.
snow conditions
aewynia, a diddles like you would normally need the 22L which is 54x26x19cm. One of the difficulties with the shorter 20/22L packs on the market is the length of the shovel/probe compartments plus of course the fact that the actual avi system within the pack is the same size irrespective of the pack size meaning that the smaller the pack size the greater the amount of space is taken up by the avi system.

@aewynia, @Scarlet, there's now another option that I forgot to mention above in that Scott are now offering for 20/21 their E1 30L pack also in a smaller length compared to the regular 30L size of 60x28x19cm. To confuse things is called the 30L SL and I'm still awaiting the exact dimensions but it'll be the same 28x19cm width x depth but shorter in length. I'm guessing it'll be circa 57cm in length which would give it a volume of 28L.
snow conditions
@aewynia, @Scarlet, I mentioned this on the other thread a few months back, but the 22L fits my 150cm tall son very well, and also works better for my wife (158cm) than her 30L pack. I think it's a really nice size and good design.

Also ISTRC (albeit my packs are quarantined in France) that there's supposed to be a way to feed a hydration tube through whichever shoulder strap isn't in use for the trigger.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
.......there's supposed to be a way to feed a hydration tube through whichever shoulder strap isn't in use for the trigger.

There is but it's a real pain to do regularly (which is needed for cleaning etc) and the tube also then needs to go under the airbag. Therefore if you're going to do it it's a lot easier to poke a hole through opposite the 'free' shoulder strap etc. However, the majority of bladder packs I've seen are wide'n'flat designed to sit centrally in the pack whereas with any avi pack the bladder is best positioned alongside the avi system. After farting about with many packs/bladders for myself and customers I've come to the conclusion that water bottles are best with avi packs, particularly the collapsable type with a bite valve that can be be hung on the shoulder strap when skinning and reduces greatly in volume when used. I've got a couple of the Camelback Quick Stows of which I 'll take one for resort days or both for bigger days: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-quick-stow-flask-500ml
latest report
@spyderjon, with the added advantage that when the bottles leak (and, like bladders, they all leak in the end IME) they don't leave a puddle in the bottom of your bag.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, ....and there's no pipe to freeze up.

I like the look of those doofers, going to snag me a couple, cheers @spyderjon,
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
snowdave wrote:
.......there's supposed to be a way to feed a hydration tube through whichever shoulder strap isn't in use for the trigger.

There is but it's a real pain to do regularly (which is needed for cleaning etc) and the tube also then needs to go under the airbag. Therefore if you're going to do it it's a lot easier to poke a hole through opposite the 'free' shoulder strap etc. However, the majority of bladder packs I've seen are wide'n'flat designed to sit centrally in the pack whereas with any avi pack the bladder is best positioned alongside the avi system. After farting about with many packs/bladders for myself and customers I've come to the conclusion that water bottles are best with avi packs, particularly the collapsable type with a bite valve that can be be hung on the shoulder strap when skinning and reduces greatly in volume when used. I've got a couple of the Camelback Quick Stows of which I 'll take one for resort days or both for bigger days: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-quick-stow-flask-500ml

Yes used my airbag for the first time on a tour yesterday and the scott is not well suited for a hydration system. I can't find anywhere to hook the hydration bladder onto at the top so it just falls to the bottom of the bag.
Might try putting it in the outside compartment with the shovel and probe to see if that works better.

The bottles look like a good idea although on big days (8-12 hour tours) I'd need at least 4 but probably 6 of them. Shocked I'll buy a couple to try.

As has been said hydration systems can be a problem though with the tube freezing and the bladder eventually leaking. The tube can also get snagged restricting water flow too. The bottles should get around these problems.
ski holidays
Can't you just use a wide necked bottle like a Nalgene and just keep topping it up as you go?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Can't you just use a wide necked bottle like a Nalgene and just keep topping it up as you go?

If you are in the resort or are visiting a mountain hut then you could but with some ski tours the only huts you reach are shut in the winter - there's no where to top up water, everything is frozen.
Anytime you need to stop to get something out of the back pack you lose a lot of time on the rest of the ski tour group.
Only yesterday as it was the first tour with the bag I stopped to adjust the straps and then yes forgot to attach my crotch strap. Just a few minutes faffing about had me busting a gut to catch up.
With a hydration system you can drink when you want without having to keep stopping.
snow conditions
@DB, I meant topping it up with snow and giving it a good shake.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
@DB, I meant topping it up with snow and giving it a good shake.

Only just seen this. That would also be a lot of faffing and I daresay it wouldn‘t take long before you ended up with a slush puppy. It‘s not good on the stomach when the water is too cold too (tend to fill my hydration system the night before so the water is around room temp at the start of the tour - body heat then keeps it lukewarm). The biggest risk is you scoop up some snow with something in it which gives you a dodgy stomach. When on a multi-day tour in the mountains using winter rooms we boil the snow to cook and then let it cool for the morning to use as drinking water for the next day. It‘s not often in winter that you find a source of natural running water.
latest report
I use one of these in my pack.
https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/liquitainers/21-foldable-light-waterbottle
Mine came with an adjustable length suction tube with valve, this seems to be the latest version - https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/accessories/22-convertube-hydration-system
Also have a 0.5 litre foldable bottle which is a good fit in jacket pocket.
https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/water-bottles/217-jet-lightweight-foldable-bottle.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy