Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on living in Samoens- to be or not to be- too many we have wondered?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
6 months in Uk and 6 months in Samoens?

I am new to snow heads. My husband and I have been visiting Samoens for years. We would like to split more of our time between here and the UK (we are aware of the new Brexit rules that will make this harder and that we'll need visas etc )

We are wondering if anyone has any advice for us about this area to live and the ex pat community? Is there a big one? We are not wholly fixed on this area alone (although it did steal our hearts 12 years ago) open to advice and other areas. We know the place we choose to eventually buy needs to be in the sun if poss, and we hope to immerse ourselves with the local way of life. We love it equally as much in the summer as we love walking also. We can't decide if it is better to be able to pop to the town by car or have the ability of being able to walk to the restaurants and shops for a pint of milk if we chose? Wondering if anyone has tried both? Maybe you started living in the centre then moved out or vica versus?

Many Thanks ☺️
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We can't decide if it is better to be able to pop to the town by car or have the ability of being able to walk to the restaurants and shops for a pint of milk if we chose? Wondering if anyone has tried both?

Our apartment was piste-side, in a small hamlet, satellite to the main station. We could walk to a handful of restaurants, and a shop (with limited hours) or go to "town" by car, or by ski bus during the day (but not at night) in winter. Being able to go out to a restaurant "just over the road" was a big advantage when the weather was bad, or we wanted to drink too much to drive - and one or the other was the case most of the time! When it's snowy, and you've struggled round mountain roads in the dark, in snow chains, and manage to get the car into the garage, with a sigh of relief, you really DON'T want to be getting it out again in a hurry.

That's another point to look at - covered parking available where somebody else is doing the necessary snow clearance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know Samoens, but it seems to me there are different people with different priorities and you just have to work out where yours are.

For some it is instant access to the slopes. For other it is more of a "living in France" lifestyle needing village life. We decided we valued being able to buy morning croissants across the road, and being able to buy our provisions or access some very nice restaurants right on our doorsteps. And putting up with a 10 minute walk to the ski-lift if we don't want to wait for the little bus.

(Of course @pam w seems to have hit the jackpot with both, but that is pretty rare).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@pam w seems to have hit the jackpot with both

Well, not exactly..... the little shop near us was only open at peak times (as were the restaurants - completely closed in, say, June or October, when we were often there). Even in Saisies most places were closed out of high season, and that will be the case in most smallish resorts - and even some big ones. I would not have wanted an apartment in one of the central buildings in Saisies - everything shuttered up is a bit depressing. Looking out on 180 degree view of mountains (including Mont Blanc) and a few small local houses which were occupied year round was much more agreeable. It was sometimes VERY quiet - sometimes only one or two apartments, across the whole development, were occupied. But we quite liked that!

People are very different in what they want - and it's not usually possible to have everything!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you so much @pam w and @j b. Most grateful for your reply and these are valid points and things to consider. Nice to see you have both achieved moving and hope one day to be able to say the same. H x
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A family friend has a place out there - I should have been there for the week right now - which is just out a bit in Verchaix.
It's a lovely spot on a well managed enclave of similar chalets, they have had it for many years and now retired spend a plenty of time out there, but not all of the winter. We have always relied on driving, but a lot more infrastructure has been built away from the town as well now so a couple of restaurants and bakery within walking distance. With the big free car parks at the stations, walk to lifts probably not so much of a need in that area perhaps?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy