Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The longest 2 mins of your life. Horrific. Ski race.

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/ZMtaomAFD-E
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easy snowHead too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’re those speeds genuine? Hit 160kph ~ 100 mph at one point. Shocked

Long sections at 150 kph+
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still 15s slower than the race winning time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the video's description:

Quote:

This video was produced to demonstrate THE FUTURE of how media will cover downhill skiing, LIVE TO YOUR CELLPHONE! The speed as indicated is not the actual speed for this run. A speedometer has been added along with biometric feedback and leader boards in the sky to showcase how data will be presented and streamed LIVE FROM THE SKIER STRAIGHT TO PHONES, headsets or other screens. The names on the leaderboards are fictitious. BE SURE TO LOOK AROUND! THIS IS A 360 VIDEO.

Also in the comment section for the video:

Quote:

Yes the speed is not exact for this course. I designed this video to give the viewer the "Feeling from the skier's perspective" of going 160kph, which is the record for speed in a World Cup downhill ski race set by Johan Clarey of France. His speed was actually clocked at 160.9kph. We couldn't find the average speed on Kitz every inch of the way down so we produced a speedometer for example only.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd had enough by the Seidlalm Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whatever the actual speed, those gates came up very quickly. Wouldn't like to straddle one.

80kmh, if only for a couple of hundred meters (ski tracks) is fast enough for me thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amazing to see having watched the runs this morning. Thanks for posting it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the race yesterday the top speed was 114 kmph on the schuss coming out of the steilhang (149 in the video) and the last speed gun was close to 146.The course speed record at this point is 150. It looks like smoeone is driving a car down the course and so it is very smooth and does not give the G Force compression and the bounced around barely staying in control feeling you see the racers experiencing. The Austrian Army hose down parts of the course as part of the prep to get the ice levels up.

Its still pretty good. Horrifying run. I have posted another video of the course in the next post. You can hear the effort.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 24-01-21 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/gH8wDi_XHCI
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 360 vr view flattens soo much of the course out - much prefer the 3rd person view than this 1st person.

I also question how safe it is to have a camera stuck to the helmet in the case of an accident.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
extremerob wrote:
I also question how safe it is to have a camera stuck to the helmet in the case of an accident.

It isn't allowed for actual races, even just having the mount stuck to your helmet is banned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, that’s why I question the statement that said this is “to demonstrate the future of how media will cover downhill skiing”

If I recall wasn’t there a whole thing how Schumacher had a go pro on his helmet at the time of his crash or am I mixing it up with some other high profile incident?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I liked the way in the second video that he kept swinging the camera around to the rear. Doubtless to make sure that his pants were still white.
latest report
@extremerob, The gopro and mount were deemed to not have any contributory cause to Schumacher's injury by the accident investigation.

Suspect if the FIS do go down the skiercam route, they will specify a standardised break-away mount and camera much like in other sports that have in-play cameras to prevent any issues. Main concern for most racers would be the positioning of it for aero.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, would probably be like what F1 used to do, where cars not running a camera would run a dummy version
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, perhaps, but for the number of racers and the relatively low cost of the tech, you could probably run a real cam on every competitor. The main barrier would probably be the lag between that actual skier on course, and the processing delay to getting it into transmission - maybe 10/15 seconds? Would allow you to cut it if there was a particularly nasty accident, but otherwise you'd be watching someone in realtime crossing the line, and looking up at the screen and seeing the skier still on course.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, I don't see it happening, Alpine Technical Delegates are very strict on not having anything attached to a helmet, I don't know how Skier Cross justify allowing camera mounts in competition.
latest report
On the technical side of things one way could be if they delayed the live transmission to post process and sync the skier footage - I have no idea of what tech they have in the F1 cars but there is a delay. Yes on the mountain and if you watch the live timing systems on FIS you can't get round the problem but for everyone at home not a biggy.

I personally don't want to see skiers with go pros or similar mounted on their heads - it is not alluring of the ski racer image. I also am not convinced it will add that much, in F1 the most exciting part of the onboard is the overtaking part of it - ski racing is you against the clock and well the mountain. The thing about the 3rd person ski camera views at present is you can spot the line and the mistakes - much harder when its 1st person. Maybe revisiting drones and FPV drones might be something that gives an interesting angle / chasing the skier.
latest report
Tech is more than advanced enough to have cameras encorporated within the helmets themselves.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, or goggles - only issue would be sponsors incorporating the cam into the design and getting FIS certificate. We won't be talking about punter-tech GoPro radical unicorns.
The cams will be very small, - think mobile phone camera dimensions size for the broadcast range and relatively low speed. Mount 4 in a halo around the helmet and you'd have a 360 stabilized shot.
snow conditions
Most televised races have some 1st person footage done by someone skiing down with a camera, they are not going at full speed though, I watched the ORF coverage of Flachau and Schladming and thought that Thomas Sykora was going really slowly.

If you require special helmets for WC then you will make it harder to spread costs for manufacturers, currently all racers use helmets made to the same specifications.
latest report
The question is do we really need 1st person footage, it's an interesting view point at first and then... the beauty of the ski racer is watching them work the terrain, the rhythm of the red and blue gates in SL, the art of the carve in a GS and the fight for control in the DH - all of which is absolutely lost when you go to first person - I actually think there might be some interesting angles in ski cross for example that 1st person footage would capture.

The same way no one wants to watch on-board from lewis hamilton cruising round in 1st no one is going to watch skier after skier in 1st person
latest report
Embed the cameras in the bibs. Simples.
latest report
extremerob wrote:
The question is do we really need 1st person footage, it's an interesting view point at first and then... the beauty of the ski racer is watching them work the terrain, the rhythm of the red and blue gates in SL, the art of the carve in a GS and the fight for control in the DH - all of which is absolutely lost when you go to first person

Agree with this entirely.
snow report
The problem that they are trying to address is that the age bracket for Ski race audiences is marching ever upwards. Its still getting reasonable viewing figures globally, but the demographic is showing that the average age of viewers is around 50 years old. They've been bringing in new tech like the transponders which give real time info to spectators like speed, and air-time and distance on jumps, and they have been modifying terrain to make the courses more entertaining (which is, again questionable from a racers perspective).
snow report
I completely get the audience issue and that they are trying to address this.

But surely there has to be a realisation that its not to do with how interesting the sport is to watch - but rather the fact that to make it in skiing up until the 90s you were going to be a ski racer or an established instructor, so ski racers are idols and the epitome of the sport for baby boomers and gen x'ers. The 90's saw the emergence of extreme skiing and freestyle skiing and you then have a generation of millennials and gen z'ers and even gen alphas now looking up to social media stars that aren't ski racers but freeriders, slopestylers, and even mountain guides.

In the past the only thing was ski-school and race training- which led to the breakaways that changed the sport in the 90s and turn of the century - New Canadian Air Force, Doug Coombs, Dean Cummings, Glen Plake, Seth Morrison, all being captured by MSP and TGR. With Shane McKonkey, Candide and many others as well impacting the sport.

I love watching ski racing - but I don't watch it and go, oh I want to go to Kitz and try racing down the mountain on some FIS skis and 150 flex boots - rather I am more influenced by watching the new generation of big mountain skiers and trying to emulate them - travelling to Japan in search of the pow or going for guided days to access better quality snow. I think the accessibility of powder and the sensation is soo easily attainable in comparison to the joy of a pure race carve that so many now are more drawn to it.

Parallel Slalom is great to watch - and they should do more city events, even the Pro Ski World Tour which is a head to head format is interesting to watch but I would bet that if you asked the majority of millennials and gen z'ers would they rather watch FWT on Bec de Rosses or Alpine Ski racing with a 1st person camera the majority would opt for the former and that is something that needs to be accepted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a fair point - Its much easier today than it was even 10 years ago to find and consume winter sports coverage that you actually WANT to watch. THE FWT, all the various freestyle events, and the x-cross events are all - arguably - more viewer friendly than a 2hr+ downhill event. FIS have been tinkering with the formats of events for a while - Reverse running orders, giving particular events a 'Flavour' - The Night One, The Fastest one, the Steepest one, etc. It'd be foolish to suggest that a new camera angle will be a magic bullet, but tech can help, like the transponders have - i'd quite like to see them do ghost overlays of the current leaders run, or side-by-sides.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy