Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR: Not the Alps, 23-30 Jan 2021 (ode to the Pentlands)

Poster: A snowHead
We should have been heading off to ski in France tomorrow morning. Obviously we are not going and everything has long been cancelled, but I note that snow conditions in the Alps are currently amazing, and half a metre of fresh snow is forecast today in the region we would have been visiting, around Grenoble. (Gutted is an understatement - but I realise this is a trivial hardship compared to what many people are going through as a result of the pandemic.) Instead, I thought I'd write an "alternative" trip report live from Edinburgh, where the hills happen to have fresh snow to rival a few past Alpine holidays! I therefore intend to post daily about the joys of the local Pentland Hills, until Saturday 30th January when we should have been flying back. OK, it's not comparable to the Tarentaise or the Dolomites, but we have 11 days of annual leave which can't be moved and I have to fill it somehow rolling eyes

Day 0 - Allermuir 1600 (the biggest ski area in the Central Belt!)

Current lockdown restrictions in Scotland seem to be somewhat less strict with regard to exercise than they are south of the border, with the result being that most of the Pentland Hills are within reach for Edinburgh residents. I didn't appreciate the Pentlands fully until 2020, but now realise how lucky we are to have such great walking territory so near to the city. It's only 5 miles from Edinburgh Waverley station to the top of Allermuir Hill - the first summit in the chain (493 m / 1613 ft) - and even less from my house. It feels a bit weird to be up amongst the red grouse and windswept moorland with the residential streets of Swanston and the hum of the city bypass just below:

Allermuir's northern slopes incorporate Midlothian Snowsports Centre. Somewhat surprisingly, this is Europe's second longest dry ski slope, boasting a handful of pistes, a drag lift and even a chairlift. Here's the snowsports centre from above, with Edinburgh in the background:

Since this is snowHeads, I should probably post a wintertime photo of the hill too, taken from Capelaw Hill to the west just before the New Year. There were a few ski tourers about even if conditions weren't quite Alpine.

Tomorrow I'll introduce you to another part of the Pentlands, with some more up-to-date photos taken this morning.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 23-01-21 21:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella, great photos - could have saved the second for the guess a ski area thread Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day 1 - Bonnie Bonaly

Yesterday, in lieu of packing to go to France, we wandered up to Bonaly Reservoir, again on the Edinburgh-facing, north side of the Pentlands. The car park / trailhead is only a couple of hundred metres away from the city suburbs and can get busy, but the reservoir itself is a bit of a dead end and consequently often relatively quiet.

In the city centre the snow has mostly melted, but at car park height (150m) there was still a decent covering and up at the reservoir (350m) I would estimate there was 30-50cm (on average) of proper light powder. Attempting to go anywhere off the main path was very arduous; many of the snowdrifts on the 1.5 mile uphill walk were waist deep, and some considerably deeper.

I was glad someone else had broken trail:

You don't often see this much snow so close to Edinburgh:

View from the reservoir outflow:

Today was even colder and we were a bit further south in the Pentlands. I'll post pics tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome photos. I took the skis up West Lomond in Fife yesterday, no where near as much snow as in these pics but I did manage about 300m of vertical ski down.

Spent many a night camping up at Bonaly reservoir in my younger days- water gets lovely and warm for swimming(it's not a functioning reservoir any more before I get a row!) and you can sit and look over the city lights twinkling at night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Pic from West Lomond in Fife yesterday- about 30 miles north of the pentland hills
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never thought for 1 minute that with all this working from home that work would get in the way as there is nothing else to do but the weather this weekend in Edinburgh has been fantastic with blue sky’s to match the alps and I have to work
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alasdair.graham, thanks. The Lomonds are of course visible from much of Edinburgh and they look very enticing - we just can't travel there! We don't have our own skis, unlike half of the population going by the number of tracks appearing on the Pentlands...

@Jonny996, shame! Hope you get a chance later in the winter.

Day 2 - The deep south

Yesterday (Saturday) we should have managed an afternoon skiing after our early morning flight to Geneva. It would have been a low visibility affair, as heavy snow moved in around midday. Instead, a bluebird Edinburgh day beckoned - but being a weekend, the main car parks for the Pentlands were going to be exceptionally busy. We therefore headed down to West Linton, in the extreme south of our current permitted range. -5°C at 9am... brrr.

An avalanche at 450m on Turnhouse Hill has been making the local news in recent days, and it was easily visible from the main road. It looks innocuous, but the crown wall has been estimated by the local mountain rescue team to be 1.5m high. Shocked Avalanches have also been recorded in the last few days on Castlelaw Hill and Carnethy Hill, on similar aspects.

West Linton is a tad under 5 miles beyond the southernmost corner of Edinburgh council area at East Cairn Hill. It's fairly near the southeast flank of the Pentlands but the hills in this area are relatively little-visited so the paths won't have benefited from much boot trampling. Instead of struggling though snow drifts, we had an easier walk up to the rather obscure West Water Reservoir. Out of the village along the "Catwalk" to Lynedale House, then along an icy track around the north side of the golf club.

Grey and moody was the theme of the day, as we'd managed to find the only part of the Lothians stuck under low cloud / fog Laughing

Pea soup at the reservoir, but rather atmospheric on the walk back around the other side of the golf club.

Passing place not in use (note the ski tracks - lots of these today):

Tomorrow I'll post about today's exploits, which were even colder!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, Just Fab, loads of memories flooding back of hill walking in the Pentlands with the Outdoor Ed department at school. I hope Edinburgh schools still have Outdoor Ed departments but I suspect not.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Day 3 - Ice in all its forms

Yesterday (Sunday), a sunny and cold day in the western Alps was more than matched by the weather in Scotland. This time we went for a ramble from a very snowy Carlops, which is a village a couple of miles before West Linton (see previous post) but on the same road. -5°C at 10am this time, and still a few degrees below freezing when we returned to the car 4 hours later.

Our walk took us through Habbie's Howe - a glen with a pretty waterfall, cave and other natural features - and then up to a low col between Patie's Hill and Spittal Hill, before descending to North Esk Reservoir. After this we followed a track to Fairliehope, and then a rather exciting path along the burn back to Carlops; the path had a few scrambly sections which were quite entertaining when covered by thigh-deep snowdrifts, and some very deep bogs which were usually - but not always - frozen solid. Here's the view from the 440m col:

However the star of the show was Habbie's Howe, where there were some amazing ice formations including the elusive hair ice, which I've seen pictures of before but never previously seen in real life.

When spray from a waterfall lands on moss...

...or a blade of grass...

...or a leaf.

A ridiculous amount of ice had formed around this single blade of grass! Shocked

Snow crystals:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Day 4 - Scald Law & the Kips

The run of sunshine and fresh snow has ended in Edinburgh, though it's hanging on for an extra day in the western Alps. We stayed indoors today, but yesterday we went sledging extra-locally in the Braid Hills, which are in the south part of the city. Most of the hill is a golf course, with rolling greens interspersed by gorse and rock outcrops and a week of heavy toboggan traffic had flattened everything into a piste-like state. It was perfect for sledging with all gradients available, and it was easy to imagine where green and blue pistes might go (in a parallel universe), winding through all the different bowls. Some of the houses on the east side were pretty much ski in-ski out...

We didn't take any pictures, but instead I wanted to give a mention to Scald Law in the Pentlands. At 579 metres its the highest summit in the range, and lies in the middle part of a ridge leading on from the shapely West Kip and East Kip. They're probably my favourite summits in the area; here are a few photos from when we were last up there at the very end of 2020:

And the same hills seen from Green Law in autumn:

Scald Law is a nice place to have practically on our doorstep - the summit is less than 9 miles from Edinburgh. Our favourite route up starts from near Balerno, which I'll cover tomorrow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant
Especially the ice shots
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I skied the Gulley to the left of Scald Law on Saturday

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, cheers.
@interpaul, nice! Looks great Very Happy

Day 5 - Threipmuir Reservoir

Another "stay at home" day today, watching the fog struggle to clear outside. Over in the western Alps it's snowing today.

Here are some pics from Threipmuir Reservoir, a large water body on the northwest side of the Pentlands. It's a popular access point for Scald Law and the Kips, but the reservoir is a lovely place in itself (especially when frozen over as it has largely been over the last few weeks) along with Harlaw Reservoir, a few miles further east.

And an autumnal view:

The hill in the background is Black Hill - at 501m it's one of the higher summits in the Pentlands but has, I believe, a bit of a reputation for bog...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, really great photos, thanks.
latest report
@snowball, thanks.

Day 6 - Le Lac de Harperrig

Another wet day around these parts (and in the western Alps, in fact) so I'll recycle some old photos from somewhere in the Pentlands again. And it's another reservoir on the northwest side of the chain: Harperrig, which is a few miles further beyond Balerno and Threipmuir Reservoir (featured yesterday). When we were last here, on New Year's Day, the reservoir was frozen solid, and a family were breaking up the surface so they could go ice diving! Shocked

Rather them than me...

Some of the locals:

The hill in the background is East Cairn Hill, which was the last hill we climbed before the first lockdown in March 2020.

snow conditions
My uncle worked at Ferranti on Robertson road, and lived in Balerno. We used to spend every summer down there and walking round the Pentlands. Love the area.
ski holidays
@jafa, small world. Balerno's lovely!

Day 7 - Glencorse & Loganlea Reservoirs

Weather was minging again today Evil or Very Mad though it's at least looking dry for the weekend. I can usually see the Pentlands out of my bedroom window, but poor visibility has prevented that. There will either have been a lot of rain or a lot of snow up there! Anyway, back before the run of rubbish weather...

One of my favourite things about the Pentlands is that the ridges in the main part of the range form a ring shape, with an area of low ground at the centre which holds two reservoirs - Glencorse and Loganlea. The views from within the resulting "heart" of the Pentlands are entirely rural as there are no direct views out towards Edinburgh or the Lothian plains, and it makes the Pentlands seem more remote than they really are. (There is of course a way out for all the water, but it's a narrow valley hidden by trees.)

Loganlea seen from the way down off Scald Law last month:

Glencorse Reservoir:

The "heart" of the Pentlands from Allermuir Hill in summer:

Upstream of the two reservoirs, the Logan Burn feeder stream passes through a scenic wee gorge called Green Cleugh, and there's a small waterfall in one of the side valleys.

snow conditions
Lovely, @denfinella, amazing photos of that ice. Very Happy
latest report
jafa wrote:
My uncle worked at Ferranti on Robertson Avenue, and lived in Balerno. We used to spend every summer down there and walking round the Pentlands. Love the area.
. Realised it was Avenue not Road!!!
ski holidays
Quite right, @jafa, and my father also worked at Robertson Avenue for many years (after Crewe Toll) - small world!

But on topic - this is a brilliant thread, with great photos. For me it also brings memories of the snowy winter of 1963 (my second year on skis) when, with friends, I made a ski traverse of the Pentlands from Balerno to either Nine Mile Burn or Lothianburn (can't really remember - it was a long time ago). And that was on standard alpine skis with cable bindings, no fat skis!

Who would have imagined then that today I could ski from Leogang to Saalbach and back, on a bluebird day (just to make others jealous Laughing ). And that was with much less uphill slogging than in the Pentlands!
snow report
@pam w, it was lovely to see!
Thanks @espri. You'd definitely have been able to get between Balerno and the other side of the Pentlands on skis at times so far this winter too. (But Saalbach it is not.)

Day 8 - Sun's back at last

Today should have been our last day in the Alps before flying home this evening. Back in Edinburgh, the sun has returned in time for the weekend, after 4 days of cloud, fog, rain and sleet. However, there's been a big thaw and most of the low level snow has melted - though there's been the faintest dusting of new snow since then outwith the city ring road. Higher up, the Pentlands are still white (though with considerably reduced snow cover), and there's been a new avalanche on Caerketton Hill, with the crown wall and debris visible from Straiton.

I wasn't expecting quite such good weather this morning, so had a late start and by the time I'd got myself sorted out there was no point in doing anything before lunch. In the afternoon we went for a wander around the Edinburgh Technopole (Science Park), which is a slightly weird, semi-rural industrial park on an old estate just beyond Straiton. It was very wet underfoot from all the snowmelt, with lots of standing water on the paths, sometimes with a layer of old snow / ice over the top.

No particularly exciting photos to share, but here's one looking across to the distant Pentlands this afternoon showing the current state of the snow cover:

If we had been able to get out to the Alps this week as originally planned, there would have been a lot of snow, rain and wind, and not much sunshine - the last few days in particular might have been pretty grim... just like it has been in Edinburgh, in fact wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy