Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
@James77, +1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WindOfChange wrote:
stanton wrote:

Avoid travel to Austria.

An unreported side effect of the mixed jabs seems to be that I find myself agreeing with Stanton. Smile

If everyone could just avoid Austria for the Christmas week, the end of January, and in the Feb half term, that'd be fine with me wink

@stanton = wally
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timberwolf, Actually, most of January would be handy. Let's say from the 8th onwards. Thank you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at the current UK infection rates has got me nervous about the coming season, so I wondered what would happen if the French put us on the red list. From what I can tell, it makes sod all difference. If you're vaccinated, and your kids have a negative test, you can crack on. So unless something horrific happens in France, next season IS happening.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, 2-months until season gets under way properly - lots can change between now and then, no point worrying about it. May as well worry that the webcams look green still Laughing

FWIW I do share your worry, but think season will go ahead as resorts want punters.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris, It's eased my worries if anything. The only thing stopping me on this basis is if France goes into full lockdown.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timmycb5, I can't see France putting the UK on its red list unless there is the emergence of a new variant in the UK which spreads more easily than Delta. Making it more difficult for the unvaccinated to travel to France might be a more likely response to the continuing high levels of new infections in the UK, but it's difficult to see what more they could require of the unvaccinated over and above the current restrictions.

I think we are more likely to see restrictions return in the UK because of the high level of infections, perhaps starting with mask mandates, renewed focus on working from home, etc. But I think that's no different from what France already has.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am surprised that EU has remained quiet over UK infection rates just about topping 50k/day. New variant or not, I would have thought that the risk of importing extra cases in winter would be provoking some comments about UK travel.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@colinstone, tho, for France at least, if you aren't double jabbed, you +/- can't come in. Can't do much more than that...

@Timmycb5, "if France goes into full lockdown" ... I think that is highly unlikely, almost no matter what happens. I know that round here the local economy would not withstand even just having the lifts shut.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No one should be unvaccinated now, including children. Bring on my booster asap. Anyone who isn’t should face restrictions on what they can do. Unless a genuine, confirmed by a GP at least, medical reason, they are all nuts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@twoodwar, eh? You mean my kids, who have have their lives put on hold for 18 months, largely for the benefit/protection of older people, should continue to have their liberties restricted whilst older people go back to normal? My kids are keen to be fully vaccinated, but this current government aren’t allowing them to be. Why should my kids be further punished for this?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And news on R4 Today. New Delta variant in UK, now 7/8% of cases and slowly rising. 10-15% more transmissible.
Also detected in Denmark and reached 2% of cases before dropping back.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@colinstone, it only seems to be more transmissible in the U.K.

I wild hazard a guess that this is linked to the current restrictions (or lack thereof) rather than a new rampant variant. Time will tell though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, +lots
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@colinstone, but reading the epidemiologists and virologists I follow on Twitter, it's not considered to be a problem, so far. Borne out in Denmark it would seem. And wot, @Timmycb5, suggests.
latest report
I was actually listening to the radio early this morning and there seemed to be a definite concern about UK numbers, low uptake in Schools etc and now we have two weeks of half term and a possible increase in more in cases.

And a few people I know* are getting concerned (paranoid) about prospects for the season if things carry on unchecked as it were.

*frequent multi-trip skiers
snow report
@Timmycb5, I take it then they are at an age whereby they cannot yet get vaccinated? In which case my apologies. I was jumping to the fact that the uptake of the vaccine is way behind where it could be. I will restate to say that if offered the vaccine should be taken, for an obvious and necessary common good.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
I was actually listening to the radio early this morning and there seemed to be a definite concern about UK numbers, low uptake in Schools etc and now we have two weeks of half term and a possible increase in more in cases.

Surely half term is a good thing. Just before the kids were going back we were told it would get worse when the schools went back so surely them being closed is a good thing?

One of the reasons the UK gets flagged for all the variants is that we are doing the majority of profiling across the world so its highly likely we will spot new variants before other countries.
ski holidays
On half term, it comes a little earlier up here and I took my son for his jag earlier in one of the mega centres.

Not coincidence that it was majority kids there (plus a few oldsters getting boosters and flu), clearly scheduled loads for the October week.
snow report
@twoodwar, yes. Apologies also if my reply was a little terse. Currently in the U.K. 16 and 17 year olds have been offered one jab. When they will receive their second jab is yet to be decided, and it is not possible book their second jab.

12-15 year olds have been (or are due to be) offered one jab only. There is no current plan to offer them a second jab. There is also the issue that even if 12-15 yos are given 2 jabs, they cannot access their records to prove this.
snow report
Someone I work with daughter is 17 she has been told at a vaccination centre she can't have the second jab before she is 17 and 9 months....
snow conditions
Morocco has announced a ban on fligths to or from the UK given our table-topping rate of infection currently plus rumours of a new variant. Not a top ski destination but how long until others follow suit? Why are we so bad at controlling this virus, seems we've just given up.
I have a ski booking in place for Jan but I'm worried where we'll be in 3 months. I don't understand the testing pre fligths process or costs, making little sense of Glasgow airport covid information and having chosen France to ski in but landing in Switzerland, feeling a 3 country round trip and whatever testing is required pre flying home is all going to be too much hassle/worry. As a 50+ diabetic I score high on the covid risk charts.
Tell me I'm overreacting! Sad

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 20-10-21 16:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Tell me I'm overreacting!

Ask again when/if this ski season is scuppered with another lockdown. Crying or Very sad
latest report
About this time last year the second lockdown was announced. Let's see what 17:00 press conference brings
latest report
@AL9000, Even people from countries on France's red list are allowed in without a compelling reason and without quarantine so long as they are double jabbed (or under 18 and travelling with double jabbed parents). If that remains in place, then I am 100% going regardless of what that oaf in Downing St says.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 20-10-21 17:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, The trouble is the potential spanner in the works is Macron.

He is desperate to appease parts of the population in advance of the Elections and having been slapped by the EU over retaliatory measures re fishing rights it will suit him to play hardball (again) with the UK, especially as he was deemed to be losing the vaccine race to the UK and now he can hit a home run!
snow report
@Weathercam, yes, that would bug things up somewhat.
snow report
@Timmycb5,??? >>without vaccination so long as they are double jabbed

From Orange and Red countries without vaccination, "travel to France if you have pressing grounds". UK is Orange. Ski hol is not pressing grounds.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even if UK goes Red, fully vaxx'd can still enter. Flights via GVA might be an issue, and as @Weathercam says Macron might see an easy win here.
snow conditions
@colinstone, duh, sorry. I meant quarantine. Will fix now
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
If that remains in place, then I am 100% going regardless of what that oaf in Downing St says.

Convoy? Very Happy
ski holidays
@Klammertime, We have been testing far more than other EU countries; 325 million so far compared to 150 million for France, 100 million for Italy and 75 million for Germany. Given you need a PCR to travel to Morocco, I would surmise far more Moroccans will suffer from the economic impacts (lack of tourism etc) than from imported UK covid.
Other EU countries started vaccinating two months later than us...let's see how they are doing in December/January when their six month timetables come up. That might be more of a threat to the ski season than what is happening in the UK.
ski holidays
@snowhound I can see how infection figures may be skewed by differing test rates, but how does that affect the disparity in hospital cases and deaths? And although the EU vaccination program was slow to start, I thought it was now generally slightly ahead of the UK? Maybe I've been taken in by all the pro-EU propaganda in the press...
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:

Other EU countries started vaccinating two months later than us...let's see how they are doing in December/January when their six month timetables come up. That might be more of a threat to the ski season than what is happening in the UK.

Agreed, and in terms of skiing it's less about what's happening now but what's happening in 6 weeks time. And a lot can change in that time. In last winters spike we hit the same number of daily cases as we have now (40k) on 1st Jan, hit the peak on 10th Jan (55k cases) and a month later cases were in freefall around 13k cases daily. Obviously things are quite a bit different, and various lockdowns contributed to those numbers dropping, but also conversely deaths don't appear to be spiking. I hope that we get through any spike before Christmas and numbers start to drop - then it'll come down to what's happening in Europe. Obviously I have no idea and it all might play out very differently.
latest report
Charliegolf wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
If that remains in place, then I am 100% going regardless of what that oaf in Downing St says.

Convoy? Very Happy
why not!
snow conditions
@caughtanedge, @Handy Turnip, My testing numbers were to try and give context to comparisons between numbers testing positive.
Re. deaths...waning immunity? When it comes to deaths, it is all about when the elderly were vaccinated not how many of the population have been vaccinated overall, given the very low chance of death (if healthy) below 60. And we started vaccinating our elderly a couple of months before the EU. So our 6 month window is coming now, theirs in Dec/Jan-and their death rates might well start increasing at that time unless they crack on with boosters-unlike the UK who seem to have faffed around.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 20-10-21 17:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Controversial point but if France does make it difficult to enter then the English amongst us only have their self to blame. Having traveled from Edinburgh to the alps last week it was blatantly obvious that the seriousness of Covid is list on most of the population in England, we went from an environment where masks are still worn routinely even without requirement to the same in France via England where masks are very very rarely seen even in busy indoor situations.
And before anyone points out Scottish numbers, that due to a incompetent government not social obedience
latest report
colinstone wrote:
And news on R4 Today. New Delta variant in UK, now 7/8% of cases and slowly rising. 10-15% more transmissible.
Also detected in Denmark and reached 2% of cases before dropping back.

Danish health authorities do not consider this variant a threat, and have registered nothing that suggest it is more lethal or people get more sick from it.
snow report
@Jonny996, Masks are more about sending social signals rather than having any significant impact on transmission-at least the way most people wear scruffy bits of cloth. Might as well wear a cap which says 'BEWARE OF COVID'. No correlation between how well countries are doing, and mask wearing. For every France, there is a Denmark.
But that risks thread drift so will shut up now.
snow report
Oleski wrote:
About this time last year the second lockdown was announced. Let's see what 17:00 press conference brings

It brought zilch, nothing. "We're going to give you boosters and please tell everyone who isn't already to get vaccinated". There was nothing new to report, that was old news. All I can assume the purpose of the presser was to give people a heads up on what's likely coming next, ease us back into some restrictions in winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy