Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a tent 8 years ago (2 or 3 bedroom, cant remember). Its never been out of the bag. Think it will still be OK to sell? or likely to have rotted?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-03-21 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Egg wrote:
I bought a tent 8 years ago (2 or 3 bedroom, cant remember). Its never been out of the bag. Think it will still be OK to sell? or likely to have rotted?

I'm close. For £30 I will come and check it for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergmeister wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
The future for travel and tourism IS NOT uncertain at all. The timeline is.

Holiday businesses are uncertain as to when, in the future, they will be able/allowed to operate as normal. They are unable to plan with any certainty; and may not have a viable future, or any future at all.

Surely, you can't get more uncertain than that Sad .

People are going to travel and 'be tourists' at some time in the future. Surely, you can't get more certain than that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:

Probably depends where it was stored?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charliegolf wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Holiday businesses are uncertain as to when, in the future, they will be able/allowed to operate as normal. They are unable to plan with any certainty; and may not have a viable future, or any future at all.

People are going to travel and 'be tourists' at some time in the future. Surely, you can't get more certain than that.

That depends if the travel operators and owners still have a business left!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliegolf wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

I think you are both right!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With repressive like travel restrictions being imposed by the British Government for the Summer Holidays....

With a 3rd wave happening now and possible 4th incoming later in year ..

Together with Vaccine Passports, additional PCR Testing, Quarantines ..

The outlook for next Winter Travel I think will put it financially out of reach for most Vacation Winter Tourists outside the EU .

Infection Rate is on the increase in Austria ... Ski Areas where their were no infection for weeks are now reappearing....

For example, Kappl and there are plenty of other Ski Areas ....

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/klostenlose-pcr-gurgeltestungen-in-der-gemeinde-kappl_a4562519?ref=curate

Tirol

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/295e492032ff446ca13d40d47193cfd7/page/page_2/

2022/2023 will hopefully be getting back to normal but not as we knew it...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely you can afford all that Nigel or is the Swiss taxi business not good these days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
With repressive like travel restrictions being imposed by the British Government for the Summer Holidays....

UKGOV must have listened to your advice "STAY AT HOME", If only Macron had listened

stanton wrote:
With a 3rd wave happening now and possible 4th incoming later in year ..

Think this applicable to the EU. Will think of you while I am sunbathing on the beach in the West Country

stanton wrote:
Together with Vaccine Passports, additional PCR Testing, Quarantines ..

EU Vaccine passport holders will be as rare as rocking horse dung this summer

stanton wrote:
The outlook for next Winter Travel I think will put it financially out of reach for most Vacation Winter Tourists outside the EU .

The pound is soaring. Think we can say next season will be substantially less expensive than last season, or the one when we last went skiing. Switzerland here we come

stanton wrote:
Infection Rate is on the increase in Austria ... Ski Areas where their were no infection for weeks are now reappearing....

Dont think you can blame the Brits for that one
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmycb5 wrote:
If we’re in that territory then when we emerge there will be no airlines, no tour operators, no hotels and lift companies.

If there's no travel for several years then many of the the existing airlines, tour operators, hotels and lift companies will go bust, which will be a disaster for an awful lot of people. But it doesn't mean that businesses of these type won't exist. As long as the infrastructure is there, then somebody will buy it for the right price.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The reason Austria's ski resorts have increasing numbers is because Austria as a whole does. Unless there's much skiing going on in Vienna.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I said to some others in resort in Switzerland this season: we will be doing all this mask s hit next year as well. They didn't believe me but "three weeks to flatten the curve", eh?

I'll leave this here and have a look at the start of next year's season.

I'm just curious as to how long it will take before tempers snap and we see full-scale rioting. It didn't happen under communism for years but there's only so much money that can be printed to keep the population on the dole. I hope our governments are those who suffer but it won't be their homes set on fire: it'll be Mrs. Miggin's pie shop.

On the other hand, why shouldn't Brits move freely once we've been coerced into having this bloody vaccine? We should be like gold-dust for foreign tourism.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boobleblooble wrote:
I'm just curious as to how long it will take before tempers snap ...

The UK has possibly been lucky, partly through chance (Johnson having opened up too quickly after November and needing to lockdown totally again in January) and partly skill (the JCVI maximising rapid vaccine coverage). France looked as if they were controlling numbers in January, but compliance seems to have drifted since then, and they didn't have a strategy for the new variant.

People are getting itchy here but know things are heading in the right direction so there is only mild flouting of rules; it seems that in France, after restrictions for so long there is much less acceptance for a tighter approach and things could get messy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Whitty on record saying further lockdowns are unlikely because we have to accept and manage covid in the population.
snow conditions
@j b, all of this to-ing and fro-ing about 'opening up' and 'controlling variants' is guff. You might as well throw another virgin into the volcano. We have deluded ourselves that we can control Nature instead of the mature response of the ancients: head down and crack on.

@Charliegolf, yes! Very interesting and something that others have been saying for months. Eventually the fear will ebb and a lot of people are going to be very, very angry indeed once the cost is counted.

Another prediction, for fun: Johnson will not be PM at the next election. The public will pull his arms off when the economic damage is realised.
ski holidays
boobleblooble wrote:
why shouldn't Brits move freely once we've been coerced into having this bloody vaccine? We should be like gold-dust for foreign tourism.

1. You haven't been 'coerced' - you have a choice. Vaccination is not compulsory.
2. Because you could be bringing back a variant, or taking a new variant there.

This is just the logic of epidemiology. Once we have herd immunity in the UK (and we're nowhere near that point yet) and they have herd immunity in your destination country, then there should be no epidemiological problem in free movement.

At a minimum, I'm hoping that by 2021-22 season, the UK and in my case Switzerland will be mutually happy for people to move freely between the two countries on the basis of herd immunity within each, low infection rates, and a Vaccine Passport being sufficient to gain entry and return. In an ideal world, this will be true for all the Alpine countries, the USA and Canada to the extent that even a vaccine passport won't be necessary.
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Ok then. If I own a travel business, what certainty is there that I can rely on the business to earn a living and pay my mortgage before my house is repossessed?

My point is that the whole travel situation is uncertain and the viability of the said business must consequentially be very uncertain.
snow report
@LaForet, yes we will be if internal vaccine passports are introduced. Basic freedoms like associating with others and engaging in trade are not negotiable based on the gov't letting us have them: they are given at birth. There's a reason imprisonment requires a trial first rather than an arbitrary decision by Johnson and his Cabinet.

Once a variant is in a country then that's it. If you think zero Covid is a serious policy then you're deluded. Viruses will come continuously and we will have to deal with Nature both good and bad. To pretend that we can control a natural disaster is monument hubris. What do you suggest we do if a new variant is 100% resistant to the current vaccines? Hide indoors again, or become a European NZ or Australia?

Do you seriously think vaccine passports will be temporary? Tell me, do you still take off your shoes and go through a scanner when you get to the airport? These are all post September 11th controls and they are still here twenty years on.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:

Ok then. If I own a travel business, what certainty is there that I can rely on the business to earn a living and pay my mortgage before my house is repossessed?

My point is that the whole travel situation is uncertain and the viability of the said business must consequentially be very uncertain.

And in exactly the same way that I am certain lockdown will end, I am equally certain travel related industries will reopen too. Your uncertainty is in-the-moment, my certainty is medium term.

The argument is a bit circular, so I'll leave it alone for now.
ski holidays
boobleblooble wrote:
@LaForet, yes we will be if internal vaccine passports are introduced. Basic freedoms like associating with others and engaging in trade are not negotiable based on the gov't letting us have them: they are given at birth. There's a reason imprisonment requires a trial first rather than an arbitrary decision by Johnson and his Cabinet.

Once a variant is in a country then that's it. If you think zero Covid is a serious policy then you're deluded. Viruses will come continuously and we will have to deal with Nature both good and bad. To pretend that we can control a natural disaster is monument hubris. What do you suggest we do if a new variant is 100% resistant to the current vaccines? Hide indoors again, or become a European NZ or Australia?

Do you seriously think vaccine passports will be temporary? Tell me, do you still take off your shoes and go through a scanner when you get to the airport? These are all post September 11th controls and they are still here twenty years on.

'If you think zero Covid is a serious policy then you're deluded.' - I don't. Nothing I've said argues for or assumes zero covid. Herd Immunity is based the exact opposite: a proportion of the population inevitably not vaccinated for a variety of reasons, one of them being personal choice.

'Do you seriously think vaccine passports will be temporary?' As I've said elsewhere, the Ship of Liberty sailed away years ago and sank when we all gave Google, FaceBook, LinkedIn, Amazon, and a raft of social media platforms access to all our personal, browsing and financial data, and when we decided that cashless shopping was the way to go and that 1984-levels of ANPR and ubiquitous CCTV would be OK.

For me, the Libertarian argument isn't anything to do with whether I take my shoes off at the airport, or whether I need to display a Qcode to get into a concert at the Albert Hall. It's about who actually runs the state and how society is biased to favour those with inherited wealth, private education, and social privilege. And involves a raft of far more relevant, subtle and complex issues than having to show a vaccination certificate to get into the British Museum.

As to the thread topic of travelling to foreign ski destinations next season, I'd say the odds are that we won't be able to fly without one or more of a vaccination, test or exemption certificate. Expect extra scrutiny and time at check in/immigration if it's paper and not an app. And it'll be 50:50 us still having to wear masks indoors. All those hotel and apartment beds are still there. Switzerland this season showed how it can be done - next season should be less difficult for resorts. The rest is uncertain.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's about who actually runs the state and how society is biased to favour those with inherited wealth, private education, and social privilege. And involves a raft of far more relevant, subtle and complex issues than having to show a vaccination certificate to get into the British Museum.

That's tangential to the purpose of this thread, but a very good point nonetheless. If the need for a "vaccination passport" was the most discriminatory thing we had to worry about, it would be a cause for rejoicing!
ski holidays
With regard to the thread title, BC and Alberta universities are planning for all their graduate career/ recruitment fairs to be virtual again in 2022 which suggests that they are not overly confident about things being back to normal in January/ February 2022, peak ski season times.
snow report
The prospect of travel for UK Citizens to Europe this Ski Season is now hangin in the Balance .

The Chaotic approach (Stop/Go) by the British Government (Portugal)

Is making it impossible for Travel Providers, Insurance Companies ,Airlines to adapt and remain commercial.
snow conditions
@stanton, You can politicise it all you want, but the fact remains that the receiving countries all have their own barriers too.

Even if the UK gov said Brits can travel restriction free, there are still very few countries that would receive us.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
@stanton, You can politicise it all you want, but the fact remains that the receiving countries all have their own barriers too.

Even if the UK gov said Brits can travel restriction free, there are still very few countries that would receive us.

You can pretty make take anything Stanton says and be quite sure the opposite is true.

Everywhere in Europe will be pretty much entirely vaccinated, and possibly with a booster shot, by the time the ski season comes around. Unless we have a virus that can escape vaccine in a meaningful way, I suspect the ski season will be relatively normal (but probably without the apres).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 4-06-21 15:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
This is from yesterday. It's EEA not EU, but it's the same deal in terms of Covid and travel.

I'd give that zero points as a troll because it's obviously completely made up and not true.
She'd do better claiming that the sky was falling. <laughs>

Yeah, the fully vaccinated thing is a passport to freedom, as far as I'm concerned. Already using it.
snow report
@philwig, I'm glad you've got some skiing in. I can't see why other countries won't follow those who were braver last season e.g. Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stanton is a 'Nigel' !
latest report
Quote:

I suspect the ski season will be relatively normal (but probably without the apres).

That is normal for some of us Laughing
snow report
stanton wrote:
The prospect of travel for UK Citizens to Europe this Ski Season is now hangin in the Balance .

Is making it impossible for Travel Providers, Insurance Companies ,Airlines to adapt and remain commercial.

posted on the same day when france say no restrictions for people who have had 2 jabs
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

And no doubt the pound will shortly reach parity.....
snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

I suspect the ski season will be relatively normal (but probably without the apres).

That is normal for some of us Laughing

Well quite. Normal for me too!
snow conditions
boobleblooble wrote:
... I'm glad you've got some skiing in. I can't see why other countries won't follow those who were braver last season e.g. Switzerland.
wink I don't think it's what you meant, but the "brave" word in that could be mis-construed.

I would not visit any country which let people in without double-vaccination, ot which doesn't have an
effective test and quarantine system. I wouldn't travel without being fully vaccinated. It's not "bravery", just being smart.

Iceland has no restrictions on mingling with other people here beyond those above.
If other countries are similarly smart then there won't be any restrictions there either.
snow conditions
@philwig, fair enough, your choice. I, on the other hand, will be in like a shot. Hopefully we are eventually moving to a situation where we can all make our own risk decisions rather than be dragged back by the slowest common denominator.
latest report
@philwig, braver in the sense that they took a very slight risk and allowed some normality over the winter. The Swiss didn't all die and did better than their neighbours I think. It can't be said enough times that the risk of death from C19 is minute and always has been. The UK's pandemic planning anticipated 1-2 million dead, not just over 100k: we've been lucky but we made the damage worse.
snow conditions
snowhound wrote:
@philwig, fair enough, your choice. I, on the other hand, will be in like a shot. Hopefully we are eventually moving to a situation where we can all make our own risk decisions rather than be dragged back by the slowest common denominator.

Hear hear
ski holidays
boobleblooble wrote:
@philwig, braver in the sense that they took a very slight risk and allowed some normality over the winter. The Swiss didn't all die and did better than their neighbours I think. It can't be said enough times that the risk of death from C19 is minute and always has been. The UK's pandemic planning anticipated 1-2 million dead, not just over 100k: we've been lucky but we made the damage worse.

Jesus, a peak of 1300+ extra deaths in a day isn't bad enough for you is it? 125000 deaths with all the lockdown restrictions, the modelling said it would have reached 1-2 millions if everything was left as unrestricted. The whole point of lockdown was to minimise hospitalisation and deaths. The lockdown worked in keeping the numbers down, but all your ilks can see is "It's not bad enough"
ski holidays
@luanb, do you know how many die in the UK in a normal week? It's between 10-15,000 depending on the time of year, circulating viruses like 'flu etc. How many of those extra deaths were due to C19 and how many to withdrawn cancer treatment, or for those who stayed at home with life-threatening symptoms? Excess deaths at home shot up last year. Can your ilk not understand that lockdowns have terrible negative effects?

125,000 deaths within 28 days of a +ve test. No other country I've heard of uses such a loose standard. Last summer the count had to be revised downwards by 10% as any death of any cause at any time after a +ve C19 test was called a 'COVID death'. This is just crap medicine and crap statistics.

As for the modelling, would this be the modelling that has consistently been wrong as well as being unfalsifiable because there's no control? Oh wait, there is and it's Sweden who had average C19 deaths and more importantly lower all-cause deaths last year because they remembered that there are other diseases than C19. Modelling when applied to to Sweden got the numbers completely wrong. Of course if lockdowns worked then Belgium and Peru would've done really well: oh hang on, they did terribly! It's almost as if controlling very infectious disease is almost impossible!

Our overreaction to the disease has cost £370 billion. This will cause misery and at best massive inflation for generations. However and most importantly we have set the standard for Gov't interference in our lives for decades or centuries. We used to regard individual freedom as sacrosanct and worth fighting wars that cause terrible destruction. We then threw it away almost overnight. If we can't live freely then what's the point?

Stop being so soppy: 125k from 65 million is nothing. There are now more deaths from suicide per day than C19. If you want to hide inside then do so. Let others live real lives that are worth something, rather than being long for their own sake.

P.S. The UK's pandemic planning was based on 1-2 million dead. Even then they advised against lockdowns and public masking. Oh dear.
latest report
boobleblooble wrote:

Stop being so soppy: 125k from 65 million is nothing. There are now more deaths from suicide per day than C19. If you want to hide inside then do so. Let others live real lives that are worth something, rather than being long for their own sake.

Another sociopath on the internet. It's easy when you don't give a poo-poo about anything.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy