Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a Monoski in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Having done some monoskiing in the '80's I was pleased to hear it's making a comeback. I saw a guy at the beginning of April in the 3 Valleys, through the mist, just standing there like a spectre and resolved to get myself a monoski. So having seen the Duret Carvin on a US site I am trying to find somewhere in the UK to buy one or something similar. I'm 165cm, nearly 50 and been skiing since 1979, currently on Salomon XScreams. Looking to protect my knees as I get older but still have some fun. Any suggestions guys? Regards, Kneehighninja
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ebay. And don't forget the fluorescent suit and white rear-entry boots to go with it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kneehighninja, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kneehighninja, If I may offer some advice, there are very few manufacturers that produce current monoskis, however you may find one or two items on the second hand market, if this is the case look closely at a make called BEBOP, they were a small company but they made the best monoskis the world has ever seen. If you find one snap it up instantely, you'll never regret it
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is a monoski sort of like a an alpine snowboard but you stand forwards on it like normal skis? I saw a few people on those in the 3V last month wondering wtf it was.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are some US custom mono manufacturers & probably at least one French still in existence. But e-bay is the best bet & for maximum effect should be teamed with SX91 White rear entry boots and S747 white bindings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't we need some comment from David Goldsmith here wasn't he into mono ski's I recall from some other thread?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kneehighninja, welcome. I saw a bloke on Hay Bluff (Hay on Wye) in March on one. He picked his up from t'internet - EBay - for a song.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have an old ski vid where glen plake recommends a bebop monoboard after a trip to cham
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really?

Last year I took a monoboarder on a little tour of Verbier. The chap in question was English by birth but French by choice. I'll never forget the shame as a friend of mine skied up to me and noticed that I was "with" the monoboarder. He was dressed in brown cords with powder puffs, white shirt, with neckerchief and a Barber. Superb. His reason for monoboarding was having broken both knees (he never explained what broken knees was) on Tortin 12 years ago and then 4 years ago desperate for a skiing fix his brother suggested monoboarding as he felt his knees would be under less stress. I still couldn't forgive him. Last year he was skiing on some cap construction piece of rubbish but I saw him out this year on a new looking Duret. As it happens he was a really nice guy, he didn't mind the mocking that he got, especially from his 14 yo nephew, it was the only way he could enjoy skiing, so fair enough. I loved watching him squirming his way out of 2' of powder on a tight tree run!

There isn't ever an excuse for monoboarding really. If you still feel you need to there is ONLY one monoboard to buy... a Swell Panik, nothing else compares.

AN02ZEJ, yes, normal ski bindings, normal ski boots, one ski, feet next to each other pointing forward. You do still see it from time-to-time, especially in France. It isn't popular for a reason.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just as a random comment: There was a guy on the speedski comp in Verbier went rocketing down on a Monoboard! Quite impressive..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just a day late for this

Ebay auction
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nope. Wrong. Unnatural. Went out of fashion for a reason. Was a fashion. (Luddite, moi?)

Kneehighninja, Why are you pleased?

And before anyone starts, yes, I have tried it a few times. Including a couple of fun runs down the "Wall". As if that matters...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, Agreed - dreadful things - should all be cut in half and chucked on the bonfire - & yes, have and can, but .........parlor, above and beyond - hat's off. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, always aiming to please Wink Twisted Evil
latest report
This book on Ebay may be useful.

PB book Monoskiing Skiing - Martyn Hurn
Learning from day one to advanced / equipment / techniques and more
snow conditions
Guys, thanks for the interesting comments this seems to have sparked off. Re. why pleased, I think any form of sliding down the slopes, enjoying the glory of the mountains and snow should be encouraged. Without trying to be contentious, I suspect the monoski does less damage than snowboards which appear to me to scrub a lot of the surface away due to boarding methods. I have seen some great snowboarders of course but some really awful ones just pushing the snow downhill. I must admit to having had a pair of rear entry boots when they were the latest thing but then, I'm getting on a bit. I've been looking on eBay and there doesn't seem much about at the moment but thanks for that suggestion. It just so happens I've some S747 bindings on my Dynastar Course SL's that I was going to press into service so that's sorted then! Cheers Kneehigh
ski holidays
If there is no excuse for monoboarding, I think there is no excuse for snowboarding...........after all isn't that just sideways monoboarding ?

If monoboarding is considered camp, then sideways monoboarding must be double camp...or extreme camp..! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
The thing is that it's quite difficult to ski a monoski properly, and most people on them are very poor skiers and are a danger to most other piste users. They seem just to like to have their feet together and can't be bothered (who would want to nowadays) to learn to do it on 2 skis. They wobble all over the pistes and mostly stick to them. The Monoski was invented for off piste and should stay there - ice and hardpack are very difficult.

beeryletcher, totally different thing - I take it you haven't seen many monoskiers?? The monoski has now largely been replaced by the snowboard, and, much as I sometimes get annoyed with snowboarders - they're a lot safer to have around.

IT IS MONOSKIING - NOT MONOBOARDING. Twisted Evil
snow report
easiski wrote:
TThey seem just to like to have their feet together and can't be bothered (who would want to nowadays) to learn to do it on 2 skis.

Aha! A way to select for natural supinators, monoskiers breeding.
snow conditions
easiski, WOW ! I wrote MONOBOARDER instead of MONOSKIER by mistake. Must have been my subconscience trying to disassociate from them skiing and lump them in with the other boarders ! Laughing

I DO know what they are and I DO know what they are called and if you want both feet on one SKI/BOARD you are just admitting that you can't control your own legs properly (whether you strap in straight or sideways! Laughing )

Been going to the mountains since 1978 and seen all these things (seem to remember lots of monoskis in 1981, and only 1 or 2 snowboards back then). Even remember a few people skiing on just one normal ski with one foot mounted behind the other!

My comment was just a playful potshot at snowboarders. Besides I don't think snowboarding would have taken off if there weren't monoskis going around first. Oh and before anyone gets factual with me, I do know that snowboards were made first, but they never caught on bigtime until after the monoskiing's peak years.

The more I think about it the more I like the word MONOBOARDING as a collective for MONOSKIING and SNOWBOARDING. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, it was almost a good idea in late 70's and early 80's, as the holy grail for skiers back then was 'uptight' feet as close together as possible, so why not just stick 'em together on one board (sorry ski).
snow report
You are all beginning to sound like the worst kind of trainspotters. Get out in the fresh air and get a life.
latest report
Lizzard, I'm cleaning the shotgun and polishing the shovel as you type ... anyone for a ludite hunt?
snow conditions
Masque and Lizzard, , I had to look up the exact meaning of Ludite "someone who posts something to get a reaction".
Best shoot yourselves as well as me then !! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
beeryletcher, no trolls here, that's a modern and incorrect application, go dig deeper
snow conditions
Masque, One d wore out about 1912, had to grab a spare for deeper.

I'll take all your spare monoskis.
snow report
Masque, Something to do with King Lud and the good old days I guess Puzzled

You're going to hunt down everyone that skis old school Skullie

Are you a SNURD....?

It won't help looking that up it is a term coined the day new skool began...and there are no references to this text left Twisted Evil
snow conditions
comprex, sweet Toofy Grin, glad someone caught that Embarassed
I've a set of Rossi' Axial 110s going onto a matched pair of old JPWalker boards (once I can figure out how to stop them pulling through) I'll show Fuxup the inadequacy of his midfoot girth, 10" (250mm) should satisfy the most ardent of powderhounds. Not sure I'll get them through the lift gates though Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher, Muppet! I've long held to the belief that if you're in the mountains and having fun it doesn't matter a tinker's cuss how you do it Little Angel
ski holidays
Masque, only as long as you don't put anyone else in danger!!!
snow conditions
easiski, that's always the unsaid rule Confused
snow report
Masque, King Muppet! You think I'm being serious ?! NehNeh
snow conditions
beeryletcher, you figure I am Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Masque, you figure I figure you are wink
ski holidays
Didn't think I'd cause such a stir guys! I'm with Masque and easiski on the 'how' and the 'safe' bit. Good to know there are pepople out there been do'in it since 1978. I've a friend who still takes a week every year at the age of 72. My own hope is to retire in the next 7 years and go skiing etc. (whatever) when I want and leave behind the crud in the UK. I've some ideas for location but maybe you guys have some suggestions. It will move the discussion on and surely won't be contentious? Regards, Kneehigh
ski holidays
Kneehighninja not contentious? It's almost summer, there's sure to be another skwal.
ski holidays
comprex, Laughing Laughing I think that one's probable lost on most here!!

Masque, It shouldn't be "unsaid". It should be shouted loudly and longly at every opportunity!!
ski holidays
Monoskis & Skwals are old hat - this is the new hybrid child:

http://www.teleboardusa.com/productlist.cgi?prodtype=boards
snow report
fatbob Shocked
snow conditions
fatbob, now you've done it: he's ordering a matched pair.

A pair of teleboarders (skiing -one- of these each) put on a quite impressive telebumpboarding show this last season but one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy