Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Services from Manston Kent Airport

Poster: A snowHead
I saw in the local news that a new cut price airline EUJet will be offering passenger flights from Kent Manston Airport from December. Destinations include Geneva, Zurich and Salzburg so it may be a useful alternative for any snowheads living in the South East.

http://www.eujet.com

http://www.london-manston.com/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from the fact that Manston is such a god-forsaken hole and at least 2 hours drive from London the prices look unbeatable. Check it out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For those of us on the Kent edge of London though it could be a winner Very Happy especially as I belive car parking there is about £20pw. Hopefully with more use they'll improve the facilities - I've not been there but have heard similar 'hole' comments from others!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr Che, i looked at it a few months ago and i seem to remember the baggage allowance being very small. Could be completely wrong, but can't argue with the prices, very good!!!!!!

I think it's also one only 3 runways in uk that could accomadate concorde when it was flying Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Runways aren't built to accommodate any aircraft while they're flying! Shocked

I think that few places around the country could cope with it: Boscombe Down, Wharton, Leeds (?), Heathrow, Manston, Birmingham(?), Brize Norton(?)....the quesion marks are places I *think* I've heard of it landing but aren't 100% sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dan, I must admit that I've not looked beyond the prices. It would be a pity if the allowance was pretty small as it would certainly limit its use for ski trips Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skanky dont forget Bournemouth.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skanky also don't forget Filton, Bristol where it was built, and where the last flight landed...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, I knew I'd miss a few places, those were just the ones off the top of my head. Wouldn't surprise me if Duxford was capable of taking it, too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen Concorde land at Aldergrove. Which is in the UK, but not in engerland.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Sporting Equipment
a. Outsize items requiring additional handling, including golf clubs, skis and bicycles, will be charged at £20 / €30 and will only be carried subject to available space.
b. Sporting equipment can be paid for at time of booking.

between this and a 15kg luggage allowance, it makes winter sports arrangements a little tricky.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh sorry, I realise I've rather bluntly gone back on-topic.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin, not allowed!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm thinking of starting a club - the Subsonic Ski Club - for people who have never used Concorde to go skiing.

This could be a very large association. Can anyone suggest any rules?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget that hotel in Paris that accommodates a Concorde landing!
latest report
skanky, It used to be OK for Duxford and then they built the M11 so Duxford has a concorde that could never be flown out!
latest report
admin, thanks admin, i thought it was something like that that would make taking your own equipment very tricky!!!
snow report
Very short-sighted of them to impose restrictions like that.
snow conditions
What are the usual rules for ski stuff and baggage allowances? I know most package companies charge extra for ski carriage so that means presumably you can have that on top of your 20KGs. What about airlines that don't charge for skis? Do they come into the allowance? I guess skis and boots get pretty close to 20KG on their own. May not be able to take any clothes next time I go skiing....
snow conditions
These are Easyjet's regulations on baggage and sports equipment, which I believe are the most generous of the low-cost airlines:

"Each passenger is usually permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a maximum weight of 5kgs, dimensions 45x35x20cm, and a free allowance of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 20kgs. Passengers are also allowed an additional free allowance of 10kg maximum of sporting equipment as hold baggage, subject to availability of space on board the aircraft (and to an additional fee (see below) where manual handling is required). Please note that all sporting equipment carried as part of the additional free allowance must be packed and carried separately from all other hold baggage. "
ski holidays
EU jet apparently charge £20 for carriage of skis Shocked
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
These are Easyjet's regulations on baggage and sports equipment, which I believe are the most generous of the low-cost airlines:

Probably not for too much longer, I'd guess - they lost 24% of their stockmarket value last Friday, and a further 22% this morning on profits warning.

Concorde also landed/took off from Farnborough (Hants) - one of, if not the longest runway in the UK, I believe.
latest report
Swiss carried my skis, non-pre booked, free of charge from and to London City, in a little RJ80/100. So I guess that, at the present moment, the scheduled airlines aren't bad. Flew Swiss because, when we booked, they were cheaper than Easyjet.

Chris Reed, didn't realise that about Duxford's runway being shortened.
snow report
I bet skis went free on Concorde.
snow report
David Goldsmith, they fit the shape well.
ski holidays
Drifting vaguely (as always) back to the topic of Manston. I remember, as a kid, seeing USAF F86D Sabres operating from Manston. I believe it was abandoned by the Americans after a crash which killed people in a passing car. It has been used as an emergency landing ground for a long time as it has a very long runway. It was also the scene of the Manston Mutiny in 1940 when the ground crews refused to come out of their air raid shelters to refuel and re-arm the fighters as they were being constantly shot up. Later "tip and run" raids by FW190s also made it an inhospitable place in 1941-2. My great-grandmother used to wave to the raiders as she wasn't too sure whose planes were which. Apparently the FW190 pilots often waved back!
latest report
Sounds exciting. These Manston Mutineers deserve a ski holiday.
latest report
EUJet also go to Turin (Sats and Suns only) and Milan (Mon to Fri) so could interest snowHeads who rent gear for the Italian resorts or Southern French Alps. But only 15kgs checked baggage is pretty mean - a suitcase of clothes and ski boots is unlikely to be much under 20kgs

Long runways - most of these listed were originally RAF airbases built to accommodate heavy propeller-driven bombers with a take off rate of climb at about 4 miles per fortnight and frequent pancake style landings on foam. Also if part of the long runway was bombed there was a chance the remainder would still be usable. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Quote:

Subsonic Ski Club - for people who have never used Concorde to go skiing.
This could be a very large association. Can anyone suggest any rules?

Rule No 1 - Any mention of Joan Collins will result in immediate suspension of membership.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Do I need to notify the airline before departure if I am travelling with sports equipment
Yes, at the time of booking, you will need to notify the Customer Support Centre on UK 0870 414 1414, ROI 0818 313 131, all other countries +353 21 486 8020.
buried in the FAQs on EUjet web site. Definitely best for the hand-baggage only traveller. Most skier unfriendly. You have to tell them in advance, pay extra and even then carriage is subject to available space - which with a fleet of Focker 100s is not likely to be vast.
ski holidays
Quote:

EUJet also go to Turin (Sats and Suns only) and Milan (Mon to Fri) so could interest snowHeads who rent gear for the Italian resorts or Southern French Alps. But only 15kgs checked baggage is pretty mean - a suitcase of clothes and ski boots is unlikely to be much under 20kgs

Fine for me. My bag weighs in at 14.5KG including boots (I'd have to leave my skis at home, though) and I could easily knock between .5 and 1 Kg off that. snowHead
ski holidays
I recall flying from Manston when I was in the RAF CCF section at school, and yes it was a hole. I was suddenly enthusiastic, living in Kent as I do, until I saw the 15kgs and £20 for ski carriage. I think Ryanair charge £15.
snow report
I've not been charged by Ryan Air, Easy Jet, BA or Virgin. It's swings and roundabouts - depends on how busy the carrier is, how early you check in, your attitude, number in your group and if you've combined you kit, amount of hand luggage and personal allowance you take......etc etc.
snow conditions
Chris Angus, but that £5 difference would probably be lost in the cost of getting to the RyanAir airport, surely? If the total cost is still lower, it's still better.
snow report
Skanky, of course, they will most likely be cheaper in the end which is good news! I willl certainly check them out when I am planning trips. As Dan says you can also get away with not paying the excess charge if you smile sweetly at check-in, and squeezing 3 sets of skis into one bag is not beyond the realms of possibility! Stilll 15kgs is a bit mean but I'm quite sure that I'll get over it one day! Toofy Grin
snow report
It's to save on fuel - which helps keep the prices down (which I'm sure you know). I bet we'll see Easyjet and the like start charging extra and restricting weight soon, if fuel prices stay high.
latest report
Ahhhh but we're all lean ski athletes surely?????? so the extra baggage we carry is compensated for by our lean physiques. Wink
snow report
Chris, speak for yourself, I'm commonly refered to as the Fat Basta'd. Mind you that's before they've seen the Masque in his armour, Mark Hunter has the photos.
ski holidays
David, this is no place for self-deprecation. We're all snowHeads. What goes on below the head is a private matter.
ski holidays
In case you missed thme first time round here is the relevant post and link to the "svelt" men in black Laughing Excess baggage? Laughing
latest report
Take care with these low cost airlines. With the current oil price some of the weaker ones will go belly up. I would book insurance for my holiday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy