Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who is still waiting for ski trip to be cancelled

Poster: A snowHead
So who is still waiting for their tour operator to cancel their ski holiday for this season? Mark Warner are apparently still intending to operate and provide their ski holidays - subject to review in the coming weeks. Given they are chalet hotels mainly run by British staff, their whole flight program has been cancelled by the airlines and current travel restrictions, I fail to see how this is possible?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still got my self catering apartment booked for the end of February! The rest, well we'll do that closer to the time. Hire a van, drive over.

Of course, in reality, I'll not be doing any of that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My BA flights at half term haven't been cancelled yet. Matter of time of course.
In general, I think anyone who has your money has an incentive to cancel as late as possible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well in my mind's eye we have our feb half term trip in hand - drive to CH via Calais, have a great week with friends, time at Nax, Chandolin and Vercorin, good coffee in the café at Vercorin and a relaxing birthday meal at Chetzeron. Perfect conditions, particularly with the long range looking the way it is, deep lovliness over in the Val D'Herens.

Simple.

Fantasy.

Probably be in Thetford Forest on the Ragley.

Covered in mud....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've still got flights booked for March - though no accomodation yet.

Have flights + accom for Easter weekend too - accom can be cancelled for free up to 5 days beforehand.

All flights are Easyjet so can be moved/used another time if they're not cancelled or I can't use them at the intended time.

Edit: and the EOSB of course!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DIY trip booked for Easter - all cancellable - will leave it as late as possible
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had the flight cancellation email on Tuesday for half term, have moved apt booking to next year, submitted flight refund request as I may have to go solo next year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still have March 13th to Zell am See booked. Free cancelation til Feb 10th.
Can change to mid January 2022 for same cost Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
DIY trip booked for Easter - all cancellable - will leave it as late as possible

+1. Well actually I have only got flights booked to coincide with SFaB if that happens. If not but travel is possible the flights are to Geneva sure must be able to find somewhere to stay.

Confidence in being on those flights is reasonably low but have some hope
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our offspring's job in Tignes hasn't been cancelled yet, start date just keeps being pushed back.
Not sure what planet they're on thinking they'll be opening a 60 room chalet-hotel with uk staff this season, although part of me has to admire their optimism!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
Our offspring's job in Tignes hasn't been cancelled yet, start date just keeps being pushed back.
Not sure what planet they're on thinking they'll be opening a 60 room chalet-hotel with uk staff this season, although part of me has to admire their optimism!

Aha! I assume they are working for MW? Likewise admiration yet disbelief at their optimism - all of their advertised flights have been cancelled and staff normally need to go out 2 weeks before for training and setting up. They are still selling from 14th Feb on their website tho interestingly after a conversation with Skiline this week, they will no longer sell MW holidays due to their appalling cancellation and refund policies. They held on to monies last season and I assume they are going to try to do the same this season
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Artois, Actually Hotelplan, rather than MW.
But it sounds like they're singing the same hymn.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
April 10th, self drive to Vallandry.

Still a chance?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pieandrun wrote:
April 10th, self drive to Vallandry.

Still a chance?

Aren't you afraid of COVID? I saw a photo of ski resorts with such social distancing that there is no social distancing. Regularly problems with lifts, a huge number of people gather around them, who stand there like fish in a can of canned food. Of course, resorts are different, but still it is better to foresee such a problem.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Club of GB cancelled all their "Freshtracks" holidays last week, except for 4 in Flaine and one in Finland (more to do with how late they have to commit their actual money). My April 17th holiday in Tignes was cancelled.
snow conditions
I'm afraid of COVID in January but hoping for a different scenario in April.

If the vaccine targets are met, I should be full of antibodies by then so it's all about likely travel rules post Easter. Wearing my rose-tinted goggles helps; I can see a beautiful snowy downhill stretched out before me. Removing the goggles places my fantasy in 2022.
ski holidays
Still vaguely hoping travel/ snow and lifts in Scotland might allow my vague arrangement for April.
Scottish ski lift situation here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

Currently snow right down to Loch Morlich (mountain webcams in cloud)
https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 16-01-21 17:11; edited 4 times in total
latest report
We were originally booked on the shuttle for half term to stay in a friends house in St Martin de Belleville but have now moved to Easter although I don't think there is much hope.

I'm not worried about Covid as both myself, my wife and our friends all suffered it pretty badly last March. Hopefully we now have immunity, but even so, we are not in a high risk catagory.
latest report
@bensaunders1973, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I think that current news reports suggest that passing through places where large numbers of people from different parts of the world walk around and mix for a few hours and then disperse throughout a number of countries, and sit in large steel cylinders breathing the same air for a couple of hours ... is a Bad Idea Right Now. It was bad enough sitting in a car with my partner last February, with her hacking a dry cough all the way to CH, whilst scowling at me to dare say '...that might be the new respiratory virus from Wuhan...' - which I didn't. I thought I might well get it being cooped up with her for 12 hours. I got it.

And it's miserable weather right now in the UK. I have forgone going out and getting covered in mud for doing a couple of hours of bike fettling. Skiing it ain't.
snow report
@Artois, Actually Hotelplan, rather than MW.
But it sounds like they're singing the same hymn.

Ah I thought they had already cancelled their chalet/chalet hotel program for the winter?
snow conditions
@Artois, Wasn't it only the Esprit (families and childcare) part that they scrubbed for this winter?
snow conditions
@Nemisis, Yes SkiEsprit cancelled their program, tho I understood it also to be chalet and chalet hotels sold through Ski Total and Inghams ie the accommodations that are run by UK employed staff. Maybe there is hope for the back end of the season but quite how they will get set up to run these for so few weeks is anyone’s guess - coupled with the lack of flights now available.
latest report
@Artois, @Nemisis,
Just asked Sinner jnr.
His latest email says it's "unlikely" there'll be any work this season, but they've not given up entirely.
latest report
Supposed to be ski touring in the Silvrettas, Austria mid march - doubt it will happen now (even though I live in Austria.)
snow report
Vaccination may allow travel if reciprocal access opens with EU - so the published timetable is promising:

1 residents of care homes
2 80yr + and front line care workers
3 75+
4 70+
5 65 +
6 16-64 with underlying health problems
7 60+
8 55+
9 50+

1-4 by mid feb
5-9 by end feb

So...Easter opening up as a possibility ... but we have a 15 year old and a 17 year old ... drat
snow conditions

What is the current 'start date'? And when was it given?
ski holidays
@Kenzie,
Latest is it's 'unlikely' to be happening this season.
At new year they were still looking at opening for half term.
ski holidays
Came across a dozen Grindelwald based Powder Byrne reps/staff/etc out for a day trip to Muerren. Expecting/hoping to be able to salvage something this season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody know when easyjet March flights will be canceled to Austria? Have 13th March booked to Salzburg and they’re asking for £40 to change right now, but no doubt they’ll be canceled shortly and then can change for free.
Thanks
snow conditions
nba2005uk wrote:
Anybody know when easyjet March flights will be canceled to Austria? Have 13th March booked to Salzburg and they’re asking for £40 to change right now, but no doubt they’ll be canceled shortly and then can change for free.
Thanks

I thought they were offering free rebooking anyway? Did you book the flights pre COVID? Sit tight - they will cancel.
snow report
I think its free once they cancel. Right now I have to pay the fare difference.
snow report
Should be there now, but moved the flights to March a month or two ago.
Will be moving the March flights to 2022 as soon as that becomes an option.

Flights booked for the easter weekend also, and presume i'll be moving those to 2022 as well.
snow report
Erna Low cancelled Feb HT as soon as we went into this Lockdown, I suspect they'll leave it late to cancel April HT.
Might stick with them for next season though (if they're still in business), was planning on going full independent but would be nice to support a small UK business.
snow report
Having had the sense not to book anything this season I'm not waiting on the news daily. If it happens it happens, albeit at a hugely inflated cost.

We're quite resigned to the fact we're not going and our only hope is that we can get out to Menaggio in the summer with the bikes.
latest report
So finally Mark Warner have cancelled my Feb Ski trip - yet they omit the offer of a refund - surely this is illegal?.......................

We had anticipated that our winter ski season would be starting as planned in December 2020. However, because of the travel restrictions currently in place due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, we have made the difficult decision to delay the opening of our Alpine programme and I’m sorry to advise you that we aren’t going to be able to operate your holiday to France on 28th February. We appreciate how disappointing it is that your holiday won’t proceed as booked but as you know this situation has been beyond our control.
As your holiday won’t be going ahead, we will automatically move your booking to the equivalent week for the Winter 2021/22 season, transferring your holiday on the terms it was originally booked to ensure your rooms, dates and price are secured. We trust you are happy with the revised arrangements and, if we haven’t heard from you within two weeks from the date of this email, a revised booking confirmation will be emailed to you.
Alternatively, if you would prefer to amend your booking to an alternative date or hotel, whether for this coming winter or the 2021/22 season, we will be happy to assist. If your chosen alternative holiday works out at a lower cost than the one you’ve booked, we’ll refund the difference. If you change to a holiday that costs more, we’ll ask you to make up the difference.
Finally, it may be that are undecided about your ski holiday plans at the moment, in which case your booking can be postponed and you will receive a credit for the amount you have already paid on your current booking. You can contact us up to the end of September 2021 to place your booking, which will be subject to availability and prices and the terms and conditions at the time of booking.
ski holidays
@Artois, It looks like a clever ruse!

They haven't said you can't have a refund (which I believe you are entitled to), they just haven't acknowledged that you can.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
@Artois, It looks like a clever ruse!

They haven't said you can't have a refund (which I believe you are entitled to), they just haven't acknowledged that you can.

Yes I was thinking the same. I’ve requested a refund as the money was already carried over from last season so let’s hope they play ball!
ski holidays
@Artois, Grab a copy of their T&C's (just in case they get 'modified'

https://markwarner.ontigerbay.co.uk/content/default/files/MWSki20202021TCs.pdf

"8.2 Cancellation
If we have to cancel your booking
before your Departure you can accept
an alternative holiday from us, or we
will refund the money that you have
paid to us"

====== Edit--------

Cross posted....
latest report
@albob I did exactly that an hour ago
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy