Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess another ski area

Poster: A snowHead
Flaine?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not there yet
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks as though there is a T bar so maybe Austria?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Portes du Soleil maybe

Morgins?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum wrote:
Looks as though there is a T bar so maybe Austria?

Need something a bit more targeted than just Austria on day 1 of the hunt.

GreenDay wrote:
Portes du Soleil maybe

Morgins?

Nope - though if we were on a hunt I would say the hound has picked up a scent
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It looks a little bit like the run back towards Chatel from Torgon, round the Tour de Don area. I'm not sure though, don't recall the hut and the background doesn't seem quite right.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure it isn't. the slope direction is all wrong, and the ridgeline behind it isn't there. The T bar definitely says Switzerland to me though, could be one of the other runs around that area, trying to picture one that skis due South like that one.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 20-10-22 17:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chaletbeauroc, not PdS
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
extremerob wrote:
Happy hunting

Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Solden ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We’re getting colder again
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Villars?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Diablerets?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No not quite - I’ll give you a clue - which is likely very abstract but let’s see:

The strand magazine
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meiringen-Hasliberg, looking up towards the Rothorn?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Meiringen-Hasliberg, looking up towards the Rothorn?

No it's not - but I can hear the hounds barking at something...

Looking 180degrees from where the first photo was taken

snow report
So if the hounds are barking at Meiringen it must be next door at Melchsee- Frutt?
snow report
This a bit of a stretch from your clue, but is it First above Grindelwald?

Edit: and have just seen your comment about the hounds. Elementary, you might say...
snow conditions
Last clue: May 21 : June 20
latest report
Engelberg ?
latest report
albob wrote:
Engelberg ?

Not the right canton
ski holidays
@extremerob, @Idris, Didn't give me much time to respond and made a bit more difficult by the fact that I'm in New Zealand! Happy to let your's run and I'll come back to mine next time a get a shot. Very Happy
snow conditions
Oh, I was sure I'd got it from the clues! snowHead

(The Strand Magazine is where Sherlock Holmes First appeared, and one of the Sherlock Holmes books is Hound of the Baskervilles.)

There's also the Sherlock Holmes hotel in Meiringen-Hasliberg, but that's already been guessed.

So, I'm stumped!
ski holidays
@denfinella, you’re spot on getting to Sherlock Holmes - and yes Meiringen is where the story ends but to get there…
snow report
Davos then (Conan Doyle lived there..)
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Davos then (Conan Doyle lived there..)

No - it has to do with Sherlock and the last clue hasn’t been used yet - when it is you’ll find the ski resort
snow conditions
Well I thought of Leukerbad yesterday, but somehow it feels like cheating, as I've never skiied there. The last clue seems to confirm it though, even though there's a letter missing.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Well I thought of Leukerbad yesterday, but somehow it feels like cheating, as I've never skiied there. The last clue seems to confirm it though, even though there's a letter missing.

We got it - yes a letter off as you say - but was out of options for clues.

Where to begin with this one:

Leukerbad sits at one end of the Gemmi pass, a unique link between the cantons of Valais and Bern that has been in use since the 5th Century.
The Gemmi pass was famous with 19th century writers, and that list includes Sir Arthur Canon Doyle.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/frozen-ghosts-haunt-gemmi-pass/14676
Quote:
“For a charming week, […] we made our way over the Gemmi Pass, still deep in snow, and so, by way of Interlaken, to Meiringen. It was a lovely trip, the dainty green of the spring below, the virgin white of the winter above; but it was clear to me that never for one instant did Holmes forget the shadow which lay across him…”
– Dr. John Watson, “The Final Problem”

The Strand Magazine (1981-1950) was known for factual articles in addition to fictional stories and series. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes were published in the magazine including the final instalment.
The Final Problem appeared in The Strand Magazine in December 1893, although the events narrated therein are supposed to take place in 1891. The Strand's reading public was outraged by what they considered the premature death of a beloved character. Over 20,000 people cancelled their subscriptions, and the magazine nearly went under. Forever after, The Strand's staff referred to Holmes's death as "the dreadful event."
Those familiar with Sherlock Holmes will know that Holmes dies after falling off a cliff while battling his arch-nemesis, the evil Professor Moriarty. The location the Reichenbach Falls, just south of Meiringen, and one of the highest water falls in the alps.
Why the tenuous story about Sherlock Holmes – well Sir Arthur Canon Doyle, later published an article in The Strand Magazine in December 1984. The article relates the Conan Doyle expedition of march 1894 in Switzerland, where he travelled from Davos to Arosa passing by Maienfelder Pass .
https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php?title=An_Alpine_Pass_on_%22Ski%22
And the decision to kill Sherlock Holmes in Switzerland and the article later describing the expedition from Davos to Arosa is in part responsible for Switzerland’s ski tourism, and pivotal in the making of skiing as a popular sport.
https://thesnowmag.com/sir-arthur-conan-doyle-ski-pioneer/

History lesson over.
Fun fact: Luekerbad was the first municipality in the history of Switzerland to file for bankruptcy in 1998.
ski holidays
Very good. I might be being thick, but what was the May 21 : June 20 clue referring to?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Star sign Gemini == Gemmi pass
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
Very good. I might be being thick, but what was the May 21 : June 20 clue referring to?

I was hoping that someone would make the link Gemini Star Sign to "Gemmi" pass - which @Chaletbeauroc had done.

Also had you input -Gemini, Meiringen, Sherlock Holmes into google - there are two links on the first page of results that talk about the Gemmi Pass.
ski holidays
I must improve my knowledge of star signs Laughing
snow report
OK, so here's a fun one. Should be pretty easy, given the lifts in the background, but I just came across this pic from my BASI L1 Telemark course, couple of us playing around, so thought I'd share it anyway.

snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, Kind of want to say the answer just to give it back to @RedandWhiteFlachau, Smile
snow conditions
Avoriaz
snow conditions
I agree with @stevew's Avoriaz guess - the Chavanette / Choucas / Fornet bowl.
snow report
@denfinella, thanks for the names, didn't have time to google which bit it was, the selfy-man is on the windy path back down to the bottom of Avoriaz resort.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
I agree with @stevew's Avoriaz guess - the Chavanette / Choucas / Fornet bowl.

That's what I'd guess too.
ski holidays
Just an observation, think it's the first references to Leukerbad and Gemmi pass I've ever seen on Sh's For the record' just a fab touring area from Kandersteg across the Gemmi.
latest report
I have to confess I have never even heard of it.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
I have to confess I have never even heard of it.

I think this is the beauty of snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy