Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess another ski area

Poster: A snowHead
Grinning wrote:

Sass Fee?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread keeps reminding me how many ski areas I have never skied in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm thinking it is something French - going to go with Tignes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@extremerob, yep: name that couloir/pitch?
In response to the Swiss Wall guess, this pitch is looker’s right of the old Tignes Wall, tongue of glacier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

big clue: pitch marked in blue above the right of the T
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grinning, I havent spent enough time in Tignes to know it but it reminds me of something as you go up Lanches lift?

Just saw the previous clue - so its Tignes Wall or Glacier Language
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes it was one of that series 1, 2 and 3. I can't remember their group name, but I assume this is 3. Have to look it up. They used to be skied quite a lot but now with the glacier shrinking it is a bit of a walk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couloirs de la Grand Balme. Except they are more above the "I", or between I and G on your tiny pic. And it doesn't look steep enough or narrow enough.
Did you mean after the wall of the end of the main glacier, hardly a couloir really and not mentioned in the off-piste book I have. No idea what that is called. The wall is quite recent, I think, and has been formed by the melting back of the glacier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, found it, it is the couloir de la Petite Balm (I think)following on from the Langue du Glacier
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowball, it’s opposite the Pt Balme (red zone) on the Grande Balme side.
The Lanches chair separates Pt Balme from Grande Balme.
On the Grande Balme side Looker’s left of P1-P3 (yellow zone). There is the pictured couloir A and one to the looker’s right B before you get into P1. Pictured couloir A is Boites aux lettres (post box) and the one to the right of that is Espagnol B after an eponymous casualty. The naming of A and B switches depending on the time of year and which planets are aligning. The chute of A makes sense as a letter posting chute but the hop into Espagnol is quite postal. Equally naming of the Ps from left to right or vice versa is hotly disputed but in Tignes I read P

1-3 from left to right which makes sense to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://fatmap.com/guidebooks/1511/fantastic-freeriding-around-tignes-and-val-d'isere/@45.4391243,6.8974949,2323.9543946,-22.6898177,-159.7460121,2434.1953986,normal

Interesting that there is slightly different naming conventions on fatmap for A&B

The reds are Main Freeride and Pilon and then there are also Couloir 7 and telegraph further rounds the side before you hit A&B at the old glacier wall

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
??? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Letter box A & Espagnol B lie between the Langue de glacier/Tignes wall (mur) and the yellow Ps. The pictured slab released under Espagnol B.

Your go @extremerob, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 31-01-21 14:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It is so long since I skied the Tignes area that I am now totally confused about which is what (though your explanation helps). The best of them, which I have only skied once, was (from the summit of) the Grande Balme, on its main, North face, which was a great descent. But you feel like the world is watching you, so you can't mess up.
snow report
@Grinning, I am guessing there are loads of different variations as well - I saw a video on youtube that was called P0 / espagnol - what is the story with espagnol's naming couldn't find that online?

snow report
Look at all that safe(?), easy powder!

Somewhere like Slovakia?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 31-01-21 14:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sort of looks like Corvara (I think) but mirrored.
latest report
Mont-dore.

An unlikely place for a ski resort, but does look like good snow!
snow report
extremerob, stolen pic ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@robs12, on the money
@Bones, yep - discovered what looks to be like a little gem when looking for ski resorts close to Marseille
ski holidays
Does look nice, though a little limited and a little low. Here's an old one from the mid 80's, probably easy:

latest report
extremerob wrote:
@Grinning, I am guessing there are loads of different variations as well - I saw a video on youtube that was called P0 / espagnol - what is the story with espagnol's naming couldn't find that online?

There should be a thread (probably has been) on how pitches get their names.
There is an obvious variation to letter box but Espagnol is so short, sharky and picky that there really aren’t variations to it.
A Catalan told me that Espagnol is so-named cos a Spaniard lost his life in there - mists of time.
It’s a tough pitch to find the single tight entrance - all those rocks look the same...

Just found that “P0 Espagnol” video you referenced and it is in the looker’s left pitch that is the nice clean chute i know as “letterbox” (A), not what I’d call Espagnol or P-0... Espagnol (B) is adjacent P1 so make sense for the adjacent pitch to be known as P-0

This is getting even more confusing, hey Snowball? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Stubai (the glacier)?
snow report
Hintertux?
snow report
@stevew - gets a hole in one! The lift's a bit different these days. Over to you.
snow report
D'oh! I gussed Hintertux and changed it to Stubai Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robs12 wrote:
Mont-dore.

An unlikely place for a ski resort, but does look like good snow!

Duhh, should've got that as I'm probably the only one on here to have walked up toward there, though from the Super Besse side. Sad
snow conditions
Someone else have a go please as I'm not likely to be able to get around to working out how to upload a photo today.
ski holidays
I had a day trip to Super Besse in the late 80's with my school exchange family at Easter. It was a bit warm but a nice surprise! I don't remember there being as many lifts as there are now but maybe we stuck to a couple as it was Easter in the Massif Central....
latest report
snow conditions
@snowball, Now that is a great descent. I have the almost the same photo. I'll let it run though. Should prove to be a good debate.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, There are a number of people on here who I think may have skied it - but can they remember it?
snow conditions
I know it's not the right answer, but reminds me of the much-hated Santons piste in Val D'Isere Smile
snow report
I think swiss, verbier?
latest report
Sarenne at L'alpe D'huez ??
ski holidays
@snowball, Arlberg?
latest report
No, but it is a classic couloir.

Sorry for the slow response but we were eating a very delicious Chicken Tagine, delivered by a local kitchen (only NW5 and NW3)
snow conditions
Chamonix?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy